PDA

View Full Version : DB Spurns Sooners for Longhorns

LewP
12-12-2005, 08:17 PM
DB spurns Sooners for Longhorns

By JOHN MILLER

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

The lure of playing close to home proved too much for Schertz Clemens defensive back James Henry.

Henry visited Texas on an official visit over the weekend and on Sunday, he switched his commitment from Oklahoma to the Longhorns.

"I wanted to stay close to home, so all my family and friends and coaches could come up and see me," Henry said. "They’re just an hour away from where I’m going to be playing. And Texas is going to be winning national championships over the next four or five years, the way I see it. I just wanted to be with them while they’re doing it."

Henry, a member of the Star-Telegram’s State Top 100 recruits, was the first Oklahoma commitment for the class of 2006, committing to the Sooners in April. He missed the second half of his senior season with a broken ankle.

He is the 25th commitment for the Longhorns and the fourth defensive back to pick Texas.

Two Texans pick OU

Oklahoma may have lost a commitment from Henry, but the Sooners picked up commitments from Longview offensive lineman Trent Williams and Rosenburg Terry tight end Eric Mensik.

Williams went on his official visit to Oklahoma over the weekend and talked at length with former Longview wide receiver Malcolm Kelly, who was a freshman with the Sooners this year.

"He wasn’t pressuring me or anything like that," Williams said. "He was just telling me what a great opportunity it would be for me at Oklahoma."

He was also considering LSU, Oklahoma State, Arkansas and Texas A&M.

Mensik also considered TCU and Arkansas.

DB picks Iowa

Colleyville Heritage defensive back Jay Valai had pretty much decided he wanted to commit to Iowa before taking his official visit there over the weekend.

Nothing made him change his mind on his visit and he committed to the Hawkeyes.

"The coaches really stood out the most," Valai said. "The coach recruiting me told me he was going to be harder on me than anyone I’ve ever had before and that he’s a tough guy to play for. I like that type of coach. He makes me want to work harder so I can prove myself to him."

Valai, a member of the Star-Telegram’s Area Top 50 recruits, also considered Wisconsin, Minnesota, Louisiana Tech and Utah State.

Wyoming lures Everman star

Everman defensive lineman Lawrence Alexander went skiing for the first time over the weekend. He also ended the recruiting process for himself, committing to the Cowboys on Sunday.

"They showed us a real good time while we were there," Alexander said. "Everyone was pretty down to earth and it was just a pretty good all-around visit."

Alexander also considered Iowa State, Colorado State and UTEP.

Oklahoma State adds two

The Cowboys continue to put together a strong recruiting class, picking up commitments from Houston Yates athlete Orie Lemon and Angleton athlete Keith Toston, both members of the Star-Telegram’s State Top 100 recruits. Oklahoma State has 19 overall commitments including seven that are members of the Star-Telegram’s State Top 100.

Briefly

Arizona coach Mike Stoops continues to recruit Texas well, picking up a recent commitment from Pflugerville Hendrickson wide receiver Terrell Reese. Reese (6-foot-4, 195 pounds) is the second member of the Star-Telegram’s State Top 100 recruits to commit to Arizona, joining Hebron running back Derke Robinson.

North Texas has picked up its first two commitments of the year with Kilgore Junior College tight end Brian Carlson (6-5, 255) and Coffeyville Community College defensive back Roy Loren (6-1, 195) picking the Mean Green.

Irving running back Jamaal Evans, a member of the Star-Telegram’s State Top 100 recruits, has committed to Georgia Tech.

Blinn junior college running back James Johnson has switched his commitment from Texas A&M to Kansas State.

Port Arthur Memorial defensive back Justin Robinson has committed to Iowa State.

North Mesquite defensive lineman Patrick Egboh has committed to Duke.

Sweeny linebacker Wendel Davis has committed to Arkansas.

WestTXLonghorn
12-12-2005, 09:48 PM
We're starting to look like the #1 recruiting class. . .again. I'd like to see us lock up Emmanuel Moody and a few others. Read on Orangebloods.com that Jevan Snead really enjoyed his trip down to Austin for the banquet, etc. Should be interesting to see which one of those guys (Colt/Jevan) gets the starting position IF VY decides to leave. . .even tho he won't.

PhiI C
12-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Way to go Henry! Welcome to Austin!

PhiI C
12-12-2005, 10:49 PM
Hey WestTX I don't know if we are the #1 recruiting class but if we can get most of our committments to sign on signing day it will be a great one and one in which we can indeed be happy with. It is looking good.

WestTXLonghorn
12-12-2005, 11:01 PM
So far we are the #1 class. Rivals.com has us @ #1 and that shouldn't change any. Also, there is still the NC game to play. We win that and I predict a LOT more guys signing up and/or switching their commitments. Mack gets almost the top recruiting class year in and year out w/o a Big 12 title or being in the NC game. . .no tellin' what happens now that he has those under his belt.