PDA

View Full Version : What a schedule...

Macarthur
12-12-2005, 11:34 AM
When Iowa Park started their playoff fun, there were many here that had doubts (understandably so) due to their record. And some of us were telling folks to be careful because they played a really tough schedule. Well that really came to light:

Lost to Mineral Wells 4A playoff team
Lost to Wimberly 3A D1 Champ
Incomp vs. Gainesville 3A D1 Finalist
Won - Childress 2A state semifinalist
They also played 2 other 4A schools in pre-district.

That brings up an interesting argument. Should coaches play tough pre-district scheduels to get them ready for the "real season" or should you get the kids used to winning by playing teams that you should beat?

I tell ya, it worked out well for IP this year, but that team was in jeopardy of losing confidence after the Breck game. Fortunately, they played well against Vernon and then went on a good run. I think you run a risk of playing too difficult of a pre-district schedule.

STANG RED
12-12-2005, 11:54 AM
You never really know exactly what you are going to get. But, I think you should always try to build a tough pre district schedule. If the coaches are doing a good job, they will help the boys keep it all in perspective, win or lose. Our predistrict schedule would have been real tough a couple years ago, but it turned out pretty easy this year. You just never know.

WOSgrad
12-12-2005, 01:32 PM
I would opt for the tougher schedule. Guys are best prepared by seeing things that the tougher teams do when they have already seen it or at least something similar to it.

That being said, the schedule should be tough, not suicidal. Of course, like STANG RED said, when you schedule that sometimes two years in advance, the level of strength that you expect may not necessarily be what you get.

VWG
12-12-2005, 01:35 PM
I would say schedule some tough teams, but don't kill yourself.
It's ok to schedule maybe one or two teams in there that would be "confidence boosters" so to speak. Plus, you want to get some of the other non-starters a look during pre-district games.

Gobbla2001
12-12-2005, 01:36 PM
I think Cuero needs a tougher schedule...

Prolly need to drop West Oso, we'll have to see what La Grange has coming back... Wharton always plays Cuero tough, so we can keep them.... though I'd like to see Cuero take the overall lead in the series, we need to drop Sealy, they gave us a tough 1st half, but we need to play a team that plays a full 48... Depends on what Sinton has coming back...

We need to play Calallen, maybe West Columbia and Sweeny (they're gunna continue to get better over the next couple of years)... some others...

3afan
12-12-2005, 01:47 PM
i think it depends on the state of your program ... if you are not used to winning then in pre-district you NEED WINS. no use in getting beat up so when playoff time comes you know what to expect if you have a slim shot at making the playoffs. but on the other hand, the more successful programs that expect to make the playoffs every year probably would benefit and not suffer from a tough pre-district schedule.

gobbler grad
12-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I think Cuero needs a tougher schedule...

Prolly need to drop West Oso, we'll have to see what La Grange has coming back... Wharton always plays Cuero tough, so we can keep them.... though I'd like to see Cuero take the overall lead in the series, we need to drop Sealy, they gave us a tough 1st half, but we need to play a team that plays a full 48... Depends on what Sinton has coming back...

We need to play Calallen, maybe West Columbia and Sweeny (they're gunna continue to get better over the next couple of years)... some others...

Ingleside would be another good team to face during the year...:thinking:
when we drop Hallettsville, we will have to pick someone up there too, maybe LaGrange...

Macarthur
12-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by VWG
I would say schedule some tough teams, but don't kill yourself.
It's ok to schedule maybe one or two teams in there that would be "confidence boosters" so to speak. Plus, you want to get some of the other non-starters a look during pre-district games.

I think you have to have balance. i would agree with your statement.

It's also true that from year to year, you don't know exactly which teams are going to be really good. For example, Iowa Park had beaten Burkburnett, WFHS & Mineral Wells all in the same year 3 out of the last 4 years. They also beat Gainesville & Wimberly last year. It just so happens that IP struggled early in the year to find their identity and all 5 of those teams were better than they were the previous year.