PDA

View Full Version : Playoff selection site turns political

3afan
12-10-2005, 06:35 AM
Politician seeks change to stadium choice
After HP fans left out of tiny title-game venue, Branch plans hearings

10:37 PM CST on Friday, December 9, 2005
By KAREN BROOKS / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN – Just when fans thought the dustup over today's Highland Park-Marshall state high school football championship couldn't get any messier: Here come the politicians.

After being slammed with phone calls and e-mails from brokenhearted Highland Park fans, state Rep. Dan Branch, R-Dallas, said Friday that he would hold public hearings on the "broken system" that allowed the Marshall coach to pick a tiny stadium that holds a fraction of the fans who would pay to see the game.

It's especially trouble, he said, "in a state that's famous for its 'Friday Night Lights' " and struggling to find money for its public schools.

"It's outrageous that a state final game is being played in a stadium so small that it denies access to thousands of fans, families and friends," said Mr. Branch, who leads a House subcommittee charged with finding revenue sources for schools and whose district includes Highland Park High School.

His counterpart in Marshall, GOP Rep. Bryan Hughes, doesn't agree, saying the system is fair because it doesn't force rural schools to travel for every championship. Mr. Hughes, incidentally, has a ticket to today's game. Mr. Branch won't attend.

Highland Park hasn't won a championship in 48 years, and the school wanted to play at Texas Stadium but lost a coin toss to Marshall, which chose Rose Stadium in Tyler, closer to home. It accommodates 14,000 fans at most.

Each school sold all of its 5,500 tickets in a couple of days – leaving an estimated 20,000 or more fans without tickets.

Some wound up paying scalpers hundreds of dollars. Others paid Marshall residents to buy up some of that town's allotment – prompting a Marshall newspaper columnist to declare that a Scots fan would have to "pry my cold, dead fingers from the stub" before he would let it go to someone other than a "red-blooded Marshall Maverick."

Dallas resident Greg McCoy, a Scots football player in the 1970s, sent a friend to stand in line at 5:30 a.m. Tuesday, and still didn't get a ticket because the booster club had sold them all the night before. He'll have to settle for a watch party at his house.

"I was denied," he said with a chuckle. "What I would do is designate a stadium in August and let the teams shoot for a trip to that city. You're losing a lot of revenue the way they're doing it now."

Mr. Branch said he would make a recommendation for changes to the full House education committee next summer. One idea, he said, is for the University Interscholastic League to limit coaches' choices to major stadiums – such as the Astrodome, Texas Stadium or the Alamodome.

UIL officials won't comment on pending legislation, but they noted that schools had resisted changes in the past.

Mr. Branch said the time has come for changes.

"This is a big deal," he said. "My phone has been ringing off the wall. This makes school finance look like a minor issue."

E-mail kmbrooks@dallasnews.com

LH Panther Mom
12-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
Mr. Branch said the time has come for changes.

"This is a big deal," he said. "My phone has been ringing off the wall. This makes school finance look like a minor issue."

E-mail kmbrooks@dallasnews.com
Excuse my rant for a minute. That sounds like the reason why they can't settle school finance problems. They worry about crap they have not business in and don't take care of the business they should. :mad:

Aesculus gilmus
12-10-2005, 09:30 AM
I'll tell you what, though. The only reason a lot of people even support the continuation of the public school system is because of the excitement and pageantry associated with football and other marquee sports. The people of this state have pretty much shown in election after election that they are in favor of "privatizing" everything else. Schools would have been long ago taken private if not for the draw of athletic events.

I'm just telling it like it is. You'll never have people scalping tickets over eBay to a UIL algebra contest.

etbu
12-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Excuse my rant for a minute. That sounds like the reason why they can't settle school finance problems. They worry about crap they have not business in and don't take care of the business they should. :mad:
Ten FO :D

Bullaholic
12-10-2005, 10:28 AM
Ya think maybe some of those "po''" folks in HP have a few political connections?

turbostud
12-10-2005, 11:35 AM
I bet somone will make some counterfeit tickets. My neighbor made 20 counterfeit tickets to the Edcouch Elsa/Beeville Jones game in Robstown because the tickets sold out. It was standing room only. The funny thing is he passed them out to his family and friends and didnt tell them they were counterfeit until after they passed through gates. His brother is a Special Agent for ICE and was a little shocked when he told him.

lepfan
12-10-2005, 12:21 PM
This is about like politicians getting involved in the BCS....how many ways can we spell STOOOOPID ;)

District303aPastPlayer
12-10-2005, 12:27 PM
its only broken when it doesnt work out in their favor... let them play at Buc in Corpus instead :)

sahen
12-10-2005, 01:06 PM
i think its kinda funny actually...well not the political part, no need to get the people that cant even figure out a school budget involved (i bet they have no problem ruling on how much they should get paid though!) but the part where marshall stuck it to highland park...talk about a slap in the face....i must know, did highland park say that they wouldnt agree with marshall on a field or the other way around? I mean they dont always do the coin toss if the 2 coaches agree, so they had to disagree on something here...If Marshall wouldnt agree w/ Highland Park's original neutral site then it is kinda wrong, but if Highland Park didnt agree with where ever Marshall picked first then all the power to Marshall for really sticking it to them.....

LH Panther Mom
12-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by sahen
i think its kinda funny actually...well not the political part, no need to get the people that cant even figure out a school budget involved (i bet they have no problem ruling on how much they should get paid though!) but the part where marshall stuck it to highland park...talk about a slap in the face....i must know, did highland park say that they wouldnt agree with marshall on a field or the other way around? I mean they dont always do the coin toss if the 2 coaches agree, so they had to disagree on something here...If Marshall wouldnt agree w/ Highland Park's original neutral site then it is kinda wrong, but if Highland Park didnt agree with where ever Marshall picked first then all the power to Marshall for really sticking it to them.....
I don't know how accurate the information I heard is, so that's all I have to go on. What I've seen is that HP wanted Texas Stadium and wouldn't agree to any other venue, when Marshall offered up A&M and a couple of other places as alternatives, so they had the coin toss. Like I said, I don't know if that's exactly what happened, just what I've read several places.

etbu
12-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Ya think maybe some of those "po''" folks in HP have a few political connections?
Money makes people some strange things.

sahen
12-10-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I don't know how accurate the information I heard is, so that's all I have to go on. What I've seen is that HP wanted Texas Stadium and wouldn't agree to any other venue, when Marshall offered up A&M and a couple of other places as alternatives, so they had the coin toss. Like I said, I don't know if that's exactly what happened, just what I've read several places.
well then if that is true then good job Marshall....he actually picked a stadium right between Dallas and Marshall, if I were him I wouldve been trying to play in Longview (extremely close) or Lufkin at SFA (not too close but closer to Marshall than Highland Park)....but i like to be a pain to the other team...

etbu
12-10-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by sahen
well then if that is true then good job Marshall....he actually picked a stadium right between Dallas and Marshall, if I were him I wouldve been trying to play in Longview (extremely close) or Lufkin at SFA (not too close but closer to Marshall than Highland Park)....but i like to be a pain to the other team...
Not a hp fan hey?:thinking:

kaorder1999
12-10-2005, 01:44 PM
the only place HP wanted to play was Texas Stadium. They would not agree to any other stadium so the Marshall coach did right in forcing a coin toss in which he won. Great job marshall

sahen
12-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by etbu
Not a hp fan hey?:thinking:
i'm neutral here....im just saying HP shouldve agreed on a neutral site, since they didn't then they have no reason to complain....

kaorder1999
12-10-2005, 02:48 PM
you are right....HP is used to getting their way with things and this time a team didn't back down. Good for them!