PDA

View Full Version : Are the Texas Rangers Stupid

Mr.Mustang
12-09-2005, 09:43 PM
Is it just me or are the Texas Rangers making a huge mistake by not going after any pitching? I mean trading Alfonso Soriano for absolutely no pitching except for a Minor Leauger! I thank that John Daniels is just as stupid as John Hart.

KTJ
12-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Are the Texas Rangers Stupid

Yes.

Pmoney
12-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Yes.
you are correct

formermbcouns
12-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Why would anyone think the Rangers would go after pitching? They never have since they've been in Arlington.

big daddy russ
12-09-2005, 10:05 PM
In the words of Ed McMahon (as done by Phil Hartman)...

"Yes sir, you are corrrect, sir!"

Tx Challenge
12-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
In the words of Ed McMahon (as done by Phil Hartman)...

"Yes sir, you are corrrect, sir!"

I agree with my Auburn Buddy on this

Adidas410s
12-09-2005, 10:34 PM
the reason they traded Soriano was two-fold.

1) you unload a big chunk of salary.

2) They don't have a need for Brad Wilkerson or Tremel Sledge unless they trade off Mench or Nix. They will use those guys to trade to other teams to aquire pitching. They made that clear right after the initial trade.

TatumEagle '99
12-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
the reason they traded Soriano was two-fold.

1) you unload a big chunk of salary.

2) They don't have a need for Brad Wilkerson or Tremel Sledge unless they trade off Mench or Nix. They will use those guys to trade to other teams to aquire pitching. They made that clear right after the initial trade.

As much as I liked watching Soriano play, this is a good move IF AND ONLY IF they begin to send out those feelers for Mench/Nix to other teams. It has been known that there are teams out there who want Mench and are willing to give up good pitching for him. Also, by dumping the salary they can now go after some of these guys in the Free Agent market. Trading Soriano nows gives the Rangers two viable options to get pitching instead of simply trading Soriano for on epitcher.

Again, IF AND ONLY IF they now do one of those things for pitching will this move make any sense, if they do not then I will be highly pissed off that they got rid of Soriano for Wilkerson.

big daddy russ
12-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
I agree with my Auburn Buddy on this
War damn Eagle!

slpybear the bullfan
12-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Agree with above comments... This is a trade which if combined with dealing Mench or Nix or another batsman would be outstanding.

Sorrie has been quite the hot and cold player. Waaay two much $$$ for what he brings...

BUT... if there is no pitching deal... just another move to drop salary on a team that is already hovering around the $50MM salary mark... and that is too low be competitive in todays MLB.

football4life
12-10-2005, 12:28 AM
The thing is, if and when they do go after some free agent pitching, who in their right mind would want to come and pitch in the ballpark. If you were one of those guys, would you? The ballpark isn't exactly a pitcher's palace.:thinking:

wos fan1
12-10-2005, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Mr.Mustang
Is it just me or are the Texas Rangers making a huge mistake by not going after any pitching? I mean trading Alfonso Soriano for absolutely no pitching except for a Minor Leauger! I thank that John Daniels is just as stupid as John Hart. No, your right. They've always done stupid crap like that!!

slpybear the bullfan
12-10-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by football4life
The thing is, if and when they do go after some free agent pitching, who in their right mind would want to come and pitch in the ballpark. If you were one of those guys, would you? The ballpark isn't exactly a pitcher's palace.:thinking:

I hear ya... that is why you absolutely have to outbid the other teams. SPEND THE MONEY!

We are the big losers for trying to hold onto Danks and Blaylock in the big bidding earlier! give it up and pay the $$$!

Tx Challenge
12-10-2005, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
War damn Eagle!
Thats my boy! No Roll Tide here!

Txbroadcaster
12-10-2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
I hear ya... that is why you absolutely have to outbid the other teams. SPEND THE MONEY!

We are the big losers for trying to hold onto Danks and Blaylock in the big bidding earlier! give it up and pay the $$$!

Then u end up with another Chan Ho Park deal...The Rangers are doing it the RIGHT WAY..develop pitching in the minors, do not give up Danks if you think he is the real deal.

HighSchool Fan
12-10-2005, 06:14 AM
who said any other team would give up pitching for Soriano? it takes more than one team to find out what a player is worth. evidently only the Rangers thought he was worth enough to get some pitching help in return since no other team offered pitching help. some of you folks think you can get whatever you want in a trade, it don't always work that way.

3afan
12-10-2005, 06:22 AM
I dont have a problem with the trade - they could afford to give up a little O and get a better defensive 2B ...

jmcgee
12-10-2005, 10:17 AM
yes the Rangers Are stupid!!

slpybear the bullfan
12-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Then u end up with another Chan Ho Park deal...The Rangers are doing it the RIGHT WAY..develop pitching in the minors, do not give up Danks if you think he is the real deal.

You have 3 top pitching prospects. All three may be studs. Or all three may be busts. You cannot guarantee that any of them will be a world series MVP ace pitcher.

BUT... you could have had one a few weeks ago. But they got cute and thought the could do it without Blaylock and Danks.

I would make the trade of Beckett for Blaylock and Danks so fast it would make your head spin. Beckett was proven commodity and is a bonifide stud. He would have been a huge shot in the arm to the staff.

*sigh*

Expect another year of big bats and just enough pitching to tease you.

HighSchool Fan
12-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Beckett was proven commodity and is a bonifide stud.

41-34 is hardly considered a stud. the only thing proven is that he will end up on the DL once or twice a year.

slpybear the bullfan
12-10-2005, 01:41 PM
He's been to the big show and delivered. He has a decent ERA and most scouts consider his peak years to be ahead of him. Good enough for me.

I think the local outcry in Rangerland was entirely justified when this deal fell through. And if any of the rumors about why it fell through are true then it is just depressing.

SintonFan_inAustin
12-10-2005, 02:10 PM
just hope they dont bring back the old gang of Gonzales, Sierra and Sosa to tease the fans for a year til they figure out what to do for next year:mad:

SintonFan_inAustin
12-10-2005, 04:02 PM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/pl_98320.jpg

VWG
12-10-2005, 04:23 PM
You have 3 top pitching prospects. All three may be studs. Or all three may be busts. You cannot guarantee that any of them will be a world series MVP ace pitcher.

BUT... you could have had one a few weeks ago. But they got cute and thought the could do it without Blaylock and Danks.

I would make the trade of Beckett for Blaylock and Danks so fast it would make your head spin. Beckett was proven commodity and is a bonifide stud. He would have been a huge shot in the arm to the staff.

*sigh*

Expect another year of big bats and just enough pitching to tease you.

I agree, as I have heard (metroplex sports talk shows) that the odds of the DVD pitching trifecta turning out to be all-stars is a long shot. I don't think Baseball America even had one as a top 25 prospect in 2005. This was for all minor league players.
If they get one to pan out by next year they will be doing good.
Use them for trade bait for a solid MLB pitcher.