PDA

View Full Version : Things That Make Coaches Groan

Bullaholic
12-08-2005, 08:55 PM
" I just hope that those 10 other boys playing with my son will have an equal chance to make the team."

"I used to play a little ball years ago". (Thru 8th grade).

"I can tell you all about their offense, coach".

"Got any new "trick" plays this week?"

"Coach, the cheerleader moms want to talk to you."

"Put Johnny in---he can throw it a mile."

"If we don't get no penalties, we ain't hittin'."

sweetwater07
12-08-2005, 08:57 PM
heard a few of those from some folks here in sweetwater that think they should be assistant coaches or something...hahaha ..add some humor to the day anyways

slpybear the bullfan
12-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Or how about... "Geez, Run the ball!!!!!!"

Which is similar to the "Geez, Pass it Coach!!!!!!"

or my favorite, "Don't worry boys, it's not your fault!"

ROFL... all heard this year.

sweetwater07
12-08-2005, 09:24 PM
[i] "Don't worry boys, it's not your fault!"

[/B]

HAHAHAHAHAHA.....that is nice!!...yet to hear this one..

Bullaholic
12-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Or how about... "Geez, Run the ball!!!!!!"

Which is similar to the "Geez, Pass it Coach!!!!!!"

or my favorite, "Don't worry boys, it's not your fault!"

ROFL... all heard this year.

lol Slpy...you sure are hitting close to home.......

lostaussie
12-08-2005, 09:30 PM
things that make coaches groan

numero uno.................players on message boards:D

slpybear the bullfan
12-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Okay, I will have to confess to one here....

Several times this season the clock managment on the field frustrated the heck out of me. We have 15 or 40 coaches down on the sideline, 4 or 12 of them are doing the handsignals calling the play... and several plays we take a delay of game penalty.

We also have a problem with understanding that we can also use up almost all of those 25 seconds when needed to run the clock out. We DON"T HAVE TO SNAP THE BALL WITH 20 SECONDS ON THE CLOCK IF YOU ARE TRYING TO RUN OUT THE CLOCK.

So... during the last game of the season, I finally put the foot in the mouth. Some of ya'll remember the infamous 1:53 remaining, 1 run - two pass series before halftime that ended with a total of 10 seconds taken off the clock and a punt return for TD.

In sheer frustration I yelled... "C'mon, there are 15 of you down there... someone manage the clock!"

I felt terrible after I said it... But that is how that series made you feel. Terrible! LOL!!!!

Bullaholic
12-08-2005, 09:41 PM
O.k., Slpy....while the "confessional" is still open---I'll "fess up" too. When the Bulls didn't try the kick and went for 2 instead at the end of regulation in the Monahans game, I yelled--"Goodness gracious---let somebody in the band try the kick." After seeing the game film on Monday night and hearing the coach's reasoning for not kicking---I kind of felt badly.

shankbear
12-08-2005, 10:25 PM
They REALLY do not appreciate the bleacher coaches. It is amazing how many perfect plays and decisions are called from the stands.

Bullaholic
12-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
They REALLY do not appreciate the bleacher coaches. It is amazing how many perfect plays and decisions are called from the stands.

I really don't make a habit of this and there is no excuse, shank, but I think even the coaches would give me a little "slack"on this transgression---you would have to go back and review the Bridgeport-Monahans playoff game to have a feel for the frustration in this game. The Bulls scored 7 times to Monahans' 6 times---missed 7 out of 7 EP's and lost 43-42 in overtime.

Pirate66
12-08-2005, 10:35 PM
i saw a phrase once somewhere(it may have been on here) that goes along with this, it was something like all the fans want to coach, coaches want to call the game, and the officials just want to watch the game

kaorder1999
12-08-2005, 10:35 PM
dont forget...coaching is the only profession in america EVERYONE believes they can do!

Bullaholic
12-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
dont forget...coaching is the only profession in america EVERYONE believes they can do!

So true, kaorder---I bet you are a coach.

shankbear
12-08-2005, 10:42 PM
Bull, I feel your pain but tequila will make it go away....in a medical sense.

Bullaholic
12-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
Bull, I feel your pain but tequila will make it go away....in a medical sense.

Only temporarily, unfortunately, shank. None of the Bridgeport faithfull or coaches will ever forget that game.

kaorder1999
12-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
So true, kaorder---I bet you are a coach.

affirmative

slpybear the bullfan
12-08-2005, 11:42 PM

Very true ka... That is why I felt terrible. I know coaches can make mistakes just like anyone can, and I also know that we spectators only see a portion of what all the coaches see, scout, know, etc.

I would also add classroom teacher to that list! Lot's of folks telling the teach how to do their job.

maroogreen
12-09-2005, 12:35 AM

Nope. Everyone thinks they could be a teacher as well. And every parent thinks they could be a principal. Broaden it to "Education is the only business in America EVERYONE believes they can do" and you may have it right.

neck_06
12-09-2005, 08:58 AM
fumbles & interceptions

Bearkat
12-09-2005, 09:29 AM
Athletes who normally play a certain spring sport, but decide to give up that particular spring sport.

72Yoeman
12-09-2005, 09:40 AM
I find myself nowadays trying to calm down my neighbors in the stands by quietly and tactfully explaining a few things to them and then they go "OH!". Even though I sometimes wonder what they were trying to do on a particular play, I realize they could probably do my job a whole lot easier than I could do theirs. I admire most coaches for the dedication and hours they put into their profession then hand their work over to a bunch of "teenagers" to complete and are then judged by their win-loss record but it's the same in the business world now. The difference is you only have your boss and family to worry about disappointing not hundreds of very vocal fans and alumni in the stands.