PDA

View Full Version : Tamales

pirate4state
12-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Love 'em or hate 'em???

piratebg
12-08-2005, 05:54 PM
It is not the Holidays without tamales, caldo, pollo con calabaza, empanadas, and menudo.

AP Panther Fan
12-08-2005, 05:54 PM
awww, you don't have a category for those of us that are kinda ...undecided.

Some are pretty good but then some can be really bad. Do you make them?

piratebg
12-08-2005, 05:57 PM
I am a lover of beef tamales. I am not a big fan of bean tamales though.

TheDOCTORdre
12-08-2005, 05:58 PM
I love tamales...gave me something to unwrap @ Christmas time :D

pirate4state
12-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Some are pretty good but then some can be really bad. Do you make them? I hear you. No, I don't make them. My mom & dad used to make them, but since he died she hasn't picked it back up. :( BUT I have found someone (in Sinton) that makes the best!!! :thumbsup: $6 bucks a dozen...going to pick some up after work. :)

AP Panther Fan
12-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I hear you. No, I don't make them. My mom & dad used to make them, but since he died she hasn't picked it back up. :( BUT I have found someone (in Sinton) that makes the best!!! :thumbsup: $6 bucks a dozen...going to pick some up after work. :)

I have always heard that making them is a huge undertaking! I like the $6.00/dozen idea much better! :D

pirate4state
12-08-2005, 06:02 PM
I have always heard that making them is a huge undertaking! I like the $6.00/dozen idea much better! :D Maybe I'll get you some to try and if you don't like them I can always bring them back home!!! :D

piratebg
12-08-2005, 06:02 PM
My wife, her mother, and grandmother will be spending a better part of the day making some tomorrow. I can't wait.

STANG RED
12-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Only the best ones have real hogs head in them.
Beef head aint bad either.
You should do a poll for Menudo also.
You cant beat tamales and a big steamin bowl of menudo, at the same time!
And I aint even Mexican.

LH Panther Mom
12-08-2005, 06:08 PM
I love tamales, but IMO, whoever thought they could stick them in a can needs a whupping. That reminds me....I need to get LHPD to look for the guy we usually buy from.

AP Panther Fan
12-08-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Only the best ones have real hogs head in them.
Beef head aint bad either.
You should do a poll for Menudo also.
You cant beat tamales and a big steamin bowl of menudo, at the same time!
And I aint even Mexican.

uhhh never mind P4S and Piratebg....not hungry anymore!:nerd: :D

piratebg
12-08-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I love tamales, but IMO, whoever thought they could stick them in a can needs a whupping. That reminds me....I need to get LHPD to look for the guy we usually buy from.

Tamales in a can? What has this world come to? There are just some things that are only meant to be made at home.

SintonFan
12-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Maybe I'll get you some to try and if you don't like them I can always bring them back home!!! :D
ummm....
When are you gonna have them?:D
I'm a tamale connoisseur. I, for years have had the pleasure of hundreds of dozens bein given to me. After all, it's almost like I made it all possible to make those.
;)
Did you get those tamale's from "Donald's mom"? She makes some of the best too.:clap:

piratebg
12-08-2005, 06:17 PM
uhhh never mind P4S and Piratebg....not hungry anymore!:nerd: :D

My wife had a similar experience as a child. One day she was walking to the restroom at our church and could smell food in the parish hall. She walked inside and saw a group of ladies and some pig heads. Since then, she primarily eats bean tamales. True story.

STANG RED
12-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Ive never even heard of bean tamales. Im not sure they even make those out here in west Texas. They might, but Iv never heard of them.

piratebg
12-08-2005, 06:21 PM
I have seen and tried Beef, Chicken, Pork, and Bean.

LH Panther Mom
12-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
My wife had a similar experience as a child. One day she was walking to the restroom at our church and could smell food in the parish hall. She walked inside and saw a group of ladies and some pig heads. Since then, she primarily eats bean tamales. True story.

I can't even share (or think about) my tamale story. :( :(

44INAROW
12-08-2005, 06:41 PM
The Jr class sold Tamales for a Fund Raiser and yesterday was the day to pick them up and divide amongst who sold them etc.. 15 doz for every Jr in school...... That was a lot of Tamales :)

Every year at Christmas.. I take tamales and cut them in 3 sections and wrap with bacon and then bake for about 15 mins.. they are DELICIOUS.. I am going to do some with jalapeno this year...

SintonFan
12-08-2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
The Jr class sold Tamales for a Fund Raiser and yesterday was the day to pick them up and divide amongst who sold them etc.. 15 doz for every Jr in school...... That was a lot of Tamales :)

Every year at Christmas.. I take tamales and cut them in 3 sections and wrap with bacon and then bake for about 15 mins.. they are DELICIOUS.. I am going to do some with jalapeno this year...
I had a heart attack just reading that.:inlove: Sounds great!
I still never got your brother's address in Seguin.:p
And LH PANTHER MOM, please do tell. I have a little tamale horror story. But it's not all that bad really.

STANG RED
12-08-2005, 06:54 PM

SHUT UP!!! YOUR KILLING ME!!!
NOW, IM STARVING TO DEATH. GEE THANKS!!!

LH Panther Mom
12-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
And LH PANTHER MOM, please do tell. I have a little tamale horror story. But it's not all that bad really.

Clean out your pm's and I'll share.

formermbcouns
12-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Ketchup on tamales is good. Does anyone else eat them that way or am I just weird? lol

piratebg
12-08-2005, 07:01 PM
You are not alone, friend.

formermbcouns
12-08-2005, 07:03 PM
thanks pirate...that makes me feel better!

LH Panther Mom
12-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by formermbcouns
thanks pirate...that makes me feel better!
Oh darn, I was going to say you're weird. :D

its_n_ D_water
12-08-2005, 07:05 PM
I eat tamales with ketchup also..the best...have yall ever tried them with deer?...sounds gross.. but actually they are not bad at all......but my overall favorite... chicken with a slice jalopeno...now those are great..

formermbcouns
12-08-2005, 07:07 PM
Hey LHPantherMom, does that mean that you haven't ever tried ketchup on tamales? If not, give it a try...you'll like it!

LH Panther Mom
12-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Hey LHPantherMom, does that mean that you haven't ever tried ketchup on tamales? If not, give it a try...you'll like it!
Yes, that's what it means. I usually reserve ketchup for fries or tots. But, I will try it next time we have some. :)

STANG RED
12-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Try em with Julio's hot sauce, if you can find it. It's very hard to find, but it's the best by far.

piratebg
12-08-2005, 07:11 PM
I tend to put ketchup on almost everything that requires a condiment, and on some things that don't.:)

gobbler grad
12-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Ketchup on tamales is good. Does anyone else eat them that way or am I just weird? lol

only way to eat them...just got about 10 doz. yesterday...pretty dand good...:) :)

sinton66
12-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Trust me on this, if you are EVER in Corpus Christi and hungry for tamales, get out the local phonebook and locate "Granny's Tamales". I have eaten a LOT of tamales in my life, and I don't remember any better than these. They have all varieties too. They come by our shop every Thursday, selling fresh Tamales. Man, those are really good.

formermbcouns
12-08-2005, 07:26 PM
hey gobbler grad...looks like there are lots of us out there who think the same thing

sinton3055
12-08-2005, 07:54 PM
Well I guess I'm not the only one eating tamales with ketchup lol.

sinton3055
12-08-2005, 07:57 PM
OH never seen or had or even heard of the bean tamale and I'm mexican. Guess I'm not that poor yet lol j/k.

SintonFan
12-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by sinton3055
OH never seen or had or even heard of the bean tamale and I'm mexican. Guess I'm not that poor yet lol j/k.
Wha??? No bean tamales?????
What about venison or corn tamales? Trust me, I've had most of them.:D
LH PANTHER MOM, no tamales in my pm box...

lostaussie
12-08-2005, 09:32 PM
If you got enough good salsa you can cover the taste of anything!!!!!!!!!!

shankbear
12-08-2005, 10:30 PM
My wife's aunts in Pt. Isabel make the best tamales in the world. They are up at 4:00 a.m. making dozens of them along with the days frijoles. And homemade tortillas. I am smelling it from here. Yums!!!!!!!

sinton3055
12-08-2005, 10:35 PM
I think i can smell them to shank, some fresh pintos and tortillas need I say more.

44INAROW
12-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
My wife's aunts in Pt. Isabel make the best tamales in the world. They are up at 4:00 a.m. making dozens of them along with the days frijoles. And homemade tortillas. I am smelling it from here. Yums!!!!!!!

HHMM that would be worth the drive down there........ I can smell those tortillas right now.....:) I wonder if Coach Stumb is coming to the Cuero vs Hutto game - maybe he'd bring us a "care package from Shank's wife's aunt :D :D

shankbear
12-08-2005, 10:39 PM
And they fry up a bunch of bacon and scramble eggs and we get our faces in that comfort food. Dang....I am packin my bag and calling Southwest Airlines.

SintonFan
12-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Nicest surprise I had on Tuesday was a lady gave me 6 hot, fresh tortillas wrapped up on my last stop for the day. I still have 2 left(oops one now)...:D

spiveyrat
12-09-2005, 09:19 AM
ketchup on tamales? isn't that like putting steak sauce on a good steak? :doh:

pirate4state
12-09-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
ketchup on tamales? isn't that like putting steak sauce on a good steak? :doh: I think so. I'm having tamales for breakfast as I type. :D :D

cjeffsjeep
12-09-2005, 10:12 AM
i like the ones the UPS man makes

SintonFan
12-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by cjeffsjeep
i like the ones the UPS man makes
How fast do you eat them?

BullFrog Dad
12-09-2005, 10:35 AM
They don't sell them all the time but Taco Bueno has pretty good tamales for a fast food place.

spiveyrat
12-09-2005, 10:40 AM
ketchup on tamales? isn't that like putting steak sauce on a good steak? :doh:

Maybe I should have said, "Isn't putting ketchup on tamales as blasphemous as putting steak sauce on a good steak?".

That states it a little better.

pirate4state
12-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
They don't sell them all the time but Taco Bueno has pretty good tamales for a fast food place. :eek: :eek: fast food in the same sentence as tamales, say it isn't so. :( :)

BullFrog Dad
12-09-2005, 11:18 AM
:eek: :eek: fast food in the same sentence as tamales, say it isn't so. :( :) That's what I thought the first time I tried them at Taco Bueno but I found out that they buy them already made up from a vendor.

maroonpirate04
12-09-2005, 03:46 PM
I love em but it also depends who makes it some people tend to make it different then others.

Ranger Mom
12-09-2005, 03:54 PM
I grew up beside a mexican family who were always making them. Me and my brother and sister thought seeing all those hogs heads was AWESOME!

Oh yeah....I eat ketchup on mine too, along with on any kind of burrito I eat!

football4life
12-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Can't say I've ever had a tamale, but I will find out soon, our spanish class is dedicating an entire morning to cooking and eating tamales!:thinking:

JustAFan
12-09-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
That reminds me....I need to get LHPD to look for the guy we usually buy from.

LHPM - Is there somebody in LH who sells good ones? My in-laws (outlaws?) live there and we are usually there for Christmas. Nothing better than tamales on Christmas day!!

Go Cuero
12-09-2005, 04:39 PM
My MIL is on her way right now w/2 dozen for me!! I can't wait. But they went up from $6 a dozen to $7 this year. I know it's a lot of work but they better be good!! I like mine w/ketchup!

footballgal
12-09-2005, 05:03 PM
HHMM that would be worth the drive down there........ I can smell those tortillas right now.....:) I wonder if Coach Stumb is coming to the Cuero vs Hutto game - maybe he'd bring us a "care package from Shank's wife's aunt :D :D

:D I am sure if you'd ask him, he'll bring you'll some. I am also sure Stump has eaten plenty of them, since he's been in PI. As I recall when Stump first came down, he was very thin, he put on some weight, doesn't look bad on him. It seems I keep telling my hubby every year, looks like Stump sure likes those breakfast tacos from Isabel's.:)

BTW, anyone tried deer meat tamales with a mix of pork? (so they won't be so dry) Mom makes the best deer meat ones, you know that La Salle county deer.

Here in the valley, you can get them between 4-5 dollars.

44INAROW
12-09-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
along with on any kind of burrito I eat!

when I read this, I thought of the BURRITO/BREAKFAST TACO thread..... remember that one? :D :D then I read on and Footballgal says

Originally posted by footballgal
those breakfast tacos from Isabel's.:)

guess it depends on what part of the start you live in.. I call them breakfast tacos too......

OK, back to the original topic...........................

District303aPastPlayer
12-09-2005, 05:18 PM
give me some hog head tamales and im good.

mistanice
12-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Ok i have a question, Are tamales meant for dinner, or does it matter? I'm mexican myself and i love tamales, but I once told a white person(lol) that i had tamales in the morning, and they acted like it was only meant to have for (lunch or dinner) but not early in the day. I really dont care what time of day it is, i sometimes crave a good tamale, but i just wanted an opinion. Oh and btw, if anyone is in or around Lufkin, they have the best tamales at a restauraunt called La Unica, they are made fresh everyday, and are 7.50 a dozen. worth every penny.

spiveyrat
12-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Where in Lufkin?

mistanice
12-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Where in Lufkin?

It is off Loop 287 on the northside of Lufkin, exit onto Raguet St. off the loop. In front of Texas Foundries.

LH Panther Mom
12-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by JustAFan
LHPM - Is there somebody in LH who sells good ones? My in-laws (outlaws?) live there and we are usually there for Christmas. Nothing better than tamales on Christmas day!!
I'm not sure where the guy lives, but usually by now we see him parked by the Shell @ CR 200. I'm not even certain that he lives here.