PDA

View Full Version : Update on UIL investigation into Hutto

yoemanfan98
12-08-2005, 01:15 PM
From the November 8th edition of The Cameron Herald...

Waters clear for Hippos
Cameron won't back into semi-final game

by TIA RAE STONE
Managing Editor

Hutto will be in the semi-final round with Cuero Saturday despite charges of UIL rules violations and the Yoemen will head to the basketball court.

"At this point, it's an on-going investigation," UIL's Director of Public Relations Kim Rogers said Wednesday morning. "But from what we know now, there is nothing Hutto has done that is a violation of UIL rules."

She said that means the Hippo-Gobbler match set for Saturday night will be played as scheduled. Cameron Yoemen Coach Mike Mullins said the school was contacted by UIL on Monday and advised to continue as if their season was over.

The complaint was based on a story in the Saturday Austin American-Statesman which stated, "Hutto quarterback Jeremy Kerley said he and his teammates often receive free meals at local restaurants."

Hutto head football coach and Athletic Director Lee Penland told a reporter with the Hutto News that the student felt that he was misquoted or misunderstood by the reporter.

Hutto ISD conducted an investigation and reported its findings to UIL late Monday. In a letter, Superintendent David P. Borrer said that the newspaper and its reporter stood by the statement but that they had no recording or notes to back it up.

"Our football player states that he never said that he or his teammates receive free food from local restaurants," the letter states. "In fact, he told me (Superintendent Borrer) that his comments to [the reporter] were that, '...no we do not receive free food. I wish we did, but we don't.'"

Borrer said in the letter that the school interviewed all 38 members of its team individually and all said it did not happen. He also said they went to 10 local restaurants "asking if varsity football players received free food because they play football. All 10 restaurants said that this does not happen," the letter states.

"We made a report to the UIL and [UIL Athletic Director Charles] Breithaupt told us that he'd found that there was no evidence to support what the reporter said," Coach Penland said Tuesday. "Basically, he told us yesterday afternoon that, through a lack of evidence or knowledge, he said that they were not going to do any more investigation and that he was recommending to the state executive committee that no action be taken."

According to UIL rules, students may not receive compensation of any kind, outside of goodie bags from peers, that do not go through official school channels. UIL Constitution and Contest Rules for 2005-2006 Section 441(a) say a student is not an amateur "if that individual within the preceding 12 months received money or other valuable consideration for teaching or participating in a League sponsored school sport."

It also states that the school is responsible for teaching these rules to students.

"We as a school and coaches can't follow everyone around and make sure that someone doesn't get a free hamburger here or there," Penland said to the Hutto News. "I don't see or know of any restaurants in town that give our team free meals and things like that."

Rogers said if something new comes to light that changes the opinion of UIL or its executive committee, a range of penalties is possible from forfeiture of games in which the student played to simply removing the offending student from further competitions. She said she did not know when the investigation would be complete.

Though Rogers would not say who filed the complaint with UIL, Cameron Superintendent Maxie Morgan said Cameron ISD had not made the initial phone call.

Gobbla2001
12-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Hell, I think the Hutto player received the free meal, or a 'break' in the bill, and I believe he told the reporter that... that's my honest opinion...

I'm sure Cameron Yoe players have, Cuero players have, whoever, I believe this happens quite often...

I don't blame any of them...

but rules are rules, luckily this didn't go any further than asking questions, would have been horrible...

I go to a place, eat my food, manager says "Hey, it's on the house"... I'm 15/16/17, in HS, I say "Okay" so I can use my allowance/lunch money for other things (plus we're Texans, you say "No ma'am I can't do that" two times until you say "Well I really appreciate it, thank you" on the third )...

If someone offers, take it, just don't talk about it in the paper... :D

yoemanfan98
12-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Do you REALLY think a Hutto player would have admitted to this? The town of Hutto would have tarred and feathered him on Hwy 79.

schu1213
12-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Its not so much that he admited to it.(not saying he did or anthying) its just that it could have came out. THe kid is 17 years old and reporters have a sneaky way of asking questions. Kids get nervous when they are being interviewed and im sure it just slipped out of the kids mouth. Like 2001 said im sure it happens everywhere at least once. Maybe it doesnt not sure but if i had to guess i would say it does. Im glad they decided not to do anything about this, i would have felt terrible for that kid.

neck_06
12-08-2005, 02:02 PM
who gives a hoot if he took a free meal, everyone has at some point or another, fact is, hutto is in the semis and they didn't cheat to get there. its not like the free meal helped them beat the crap out of Cameron (or anyone else for that matter.)

wos fan1
12-08-2005, 02:03 PM
No kidding!

briefcase
12-08-2005, 02:09 PM
AMEN NECK!

lostaussie
12-08-2005, 02:18 PM
ANCIENT CHINESE PROVEB

sometimes better to keep mouth closed and look like fool, than open mouth, and remove all doubt.

moral of story: eat your burger and shut up:D

neck_06
12-08-2005, 02:19 PM
LOL!!!

what burger? who had a burger? i want a burger? ooops, i accidentaly opened my mouth.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

neck_06
12-08-2005, 02:21 PM
the coaches need to teach that QB to play the old Georgetown basketball defense..............DENY! DENY! DENY!

kaorder1999
12-08-2005, 02:58 PM
i guess he learned a lesson through all of this

Modest Man
12-08-2005, 03:24 PM
lolz that entire UIL thing that was filed is just stupid. Get over it...you lost the game so be it. Stop trying to prevent the Hippos to play...they've strived for it and have made it as far as they've taken themselves...stop raining on their parade and put on the chucks for a good basketball season.

WestTXLonghorn
12-08-2005, 03:27 PM
The damage has already been done. The Hippos were already a long shot to knock off the Gobblers. . .but now they've been worrying about this whole UIL thing for a week. I'm sure it's been messing with their concentration and practice. No chance the Hippos even keep this game close now.

Modest Man
12-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by WestTXLonghorn
The damage has already been done. The Hippos were already a long shot to knock off the Gobblers. . .but now they've been worrying about this whole UIL thing for a week. I'm sure it's been messing with their concentration and practice. No chance the Hippos even keep this game close now.

they shouldn't really be worrying about anything...this entire "investigation" is really pointless. They're still in it..so they shouldn't worry about anything...

wtxlonghorn are you gonna be at the game this saturday?

WestTXLonghorn
12-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Nope. I wanted to drive down to SA and see it, but I've got finals on Monday. Oh well. . .

Modest Man
12-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by WestTXLonghorn
Nope. I wanted to drive down to SA and see it, but I've got finals on Monday. Oh well. . .

aw that sucks...it's a saturday...you totally could spend sunday studying...but nah, i understand...goodluck on finals though!!

CenTexSports
12-08-2005, 03:44 PM
One final note: The UIL contacted Cameron not the other way around. No one except for a few die hard fans (and every school has them) has any desire to take the field against Cuero. If Hutto is cleared by the UIL, I hope they play a great game, win or lose.

AP Panther Fan
12-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Sure is a small world....while reading the article I realized that Hutto's superintendent was previously in Aransas Pass. I wasn't quite sure where Dr. Borrer had gone....:thinking:

44INAROW
12-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Sure is a small world....while reading the article I realized that Hutto's superintendent was previously in Aransas Pass. I wasn't quite sure where Dr. Borrer had gone....:thinking:

you learn something new everyday :) - and now we know that along with being entertaining.. the downlow is educational :D

AP Panther Fan
12-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
you learn something new everyday :) - and now we know that along with being entertaining.. the downlow is educational :D

This is true....from my conversations with you I found out that a long-time Ingleside band director is now in Cuero...I am getting smarter and smarter everyday! ;) :D

ILS1
12-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by yoemanfan98
Cameron Yoemen Coach Mike Mullins said the school was contacted by UIL on Monday and advised to continue as if their season was over.

Yeah,after Cameron contacted them on Saturday before the game!!!

Modest Man
12-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
Yeah,after Cameron contacted them on Saturday before the game!!!

lolz

http://texashsfootball.com/board/uploads/av-4016.jpg

Gobbla2001
12-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Hell, it was illegal by the UIL for me to take gifts (candy and stuff) from my Trotter (Cuero drill-team member) every week unless I paid for it... us Cuero players NEVER paid for it... too bad my Trotter sucked and quit half-way through the season, I was bumming candy from my teammates...

I remember my cheerleading cousin from Sealy saying the Sealy players were told to bring a penny to school every game-day to give to the cheerleaders in payment for their gifts so it would be 'legal' by the UIL... there's one school who got it right... but I bet 90% of the schools are in violation of atleast one of the UIL rules that go along this line...

I can also remember not being told about getting free meals etc... we were never told... and I'm sure most kids aren't...

I believe if these rules are to be used, a program should be installed to help the message get out...

One thing is for sure, no one in the community of Hutto, or anywhere else for that matter are getting letters in their mail from the UIL saying "Hey, don't give free meals" etc...

Education is the key when it comes to High School and the UIL... educating the kids on the rules should be key as well...

I believe the Hutto player/players 'accepted' free meals from folks not even aware of a 'UIL'... had they been educated properly on the rules by the UIL, the young Hutto man would have either A.) Not taken free meals or B.) failed to mention to a major media source that he had taken free meals...