View Full Version : Cuero offense eliminating all question marks

44INAROW
12-08-2005, 12:19 PM
The Victoria Advocate - http://TheVictoriaAdvocate.com
Cuero offense eliminating all question marks
MIKE FORMAN
Advocate Sports Writer
Thursday, December 8, 2005

CUERO - Who was going to run the ball for Cuero and what kind of a line would they be running behind may have been question marks as the Gobblers headed into the season but they have become exclamation points along the way.
Cuero entered the season with no starters returning on the interior line and uncertainty about the health of running back Latrael Cooper and the durability of running back Fabian Olguin.

But the Gobblers (13-0) have put those concerns to rest heading into their Class 3A, Division II semifinal game against Hutto (12-2) on Saturday at 7 p.m. at Farris Stadium in San Antonio.

The offensive line has helped Cuero rush for 2,751 yards - an average of 211.6 yards per game. Olguin has shown toughness to go with his quickness while rushing for 1,424 yards and 16 touchdowns, and Cooper has displayed steady progress returning from a knee injury that forced him to miss the entire 2004 season by rushing for 598 yards and 14 touchdowns - 246 of those yards and eight of those touchdowns have come in Cuero's four playoff games.

"We did a whole lot of preseason conditioning," Cuero coach Mark Reeve said. "We had a lot of faith the kids could step into their roles."

With only tight end J.T. Rudd returning on the line, Reeve made two-way players out of defensive linemen Joey Gonzalez at guard and Joey Adams at tackle, moved Kaeron Johnson from tight end to guard, promoted backup center Nimesh Bhakta to starter and inserted Robbie Bitterly and Justin Freeman, who played on the junior varsity last season, at tackle.

Adams filled in at tackle during last year's Division I quarterfinal game against Sinton but none of the other players had ever started on the offensive line.

"They were the best we had," Reeve said. "They were all good athletes and good players. They just lacked experience. There was never any question they would be able to play on the line."

While last year's line was known for its size, the linemen this season, while not small, have been noted for their quickness.

"I think this line is a lot more athletic," Adams said. "We're a lot faster and we're able to run a little more pulling stuff because of our speed. We've gotten used to playing with each other and we've grown real close."

Olguin figured to spend his sophomore season on the junior varsity but was promoted to the varsity because of injuries and suspensions and rushed for 724 yards and nine touchdowns.

There was no question about Olguin's speed. He ran the leadoff legs on Cuero's 400- and 800-meter relay teams that captured gold medals at the state meet. But Olguin, who stands around 5-foot-7 and weighs 160 pounds, wanted to become a more powerful runner.

"The difference with Fabian this season is his strength," Reeve said. "He did powerlifting before he ran track. He really worked hard and improved himself in the weight room."

Olguin viewed last season as a learning experience and had no doubt he could get better.

"I was doing a lot of lifting and running during the offseason," Olguin said. "I was paying attention to what the coaches were telling me. I worked on my cutting and getting stronger. I'm a lot more confident and it's worked out real well."

Cooper was the Newcomer of the Year on the Advocate's all-area team after rushing for 1,268 yards and 18 touchdowns as a sophomore, but missed his entire junior season after tearing the anterior, lateral, and posterior ligaments in his left knee during a scrimmage.

Cooper, who committed to Texas A&M in April, worked hard to rehabilitate the knee and return this season.

"Physically, he's probably 95 percent of what he was before the injury," Reeve said. "I think the mental confidence comes with each game."

Cooper admits it took some time to get comfortable making cuts and running the football.

"When I look at where I came from, I'm getting better and better each game," Cooper said. "I was probably thinking too much. I just had to let if flow and play my game. You can't think out there, you've just got to go."

Reeve helped speed the process along by using the 6-2 Cooper, who probably weighs closer to 220 pounds than his listed 210, at fullback. Cooper responded by rushing for 118 yards and three touchdowns in a 48-30 win over Sealy.

"We decided to do that after the Wharton game," Reeve said. "We were having a hard time getting him in at tailback and we wanted him to be in a position where he was physically more confident and could get more snaps. It was kind of an overnight transformation."

Cooper has lined up at fullback and tailback in the playoffs, forcing opponents to contend with his power and Olguin's speed.

"We have an added threat at the fullback position," Reeve said of Cooper. "We've been using him more and more at tailback, which gives us a lot more things we can do."

Cuero has maintained a balance between the run and the pass throughout the season and would prefer to follow the same formula against Hutto. But if the Gobblers need to run the ball, they won't hesitate to do it.

"With our line and running backs," Adams said, "we know we can pound it down people's throats."

NOTES: Cuero will be the visitor against Hutto...Tickets are $5 for students and $8 for adults and are available at Cuero High School. All tickets at the gate will be $9...Cuero senior Avery Sheppard has been cleared to play after missing the last three games with mononucleosis. Sheppard has played receiver, defensive back, and punted this season...The game will be broadcast on KZAM, 104.7 FM and Web cast on www.lonestarfm.com

Mike Forman is a sports writer for the Advocate. Contact him at 361-580-6588 or mforman@vicad.com, or comment on this story at www.VictoriaAdvocate.com

GO MEAN GREEN :)

District303aPastPlayer
12-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Go Mean Green!

Gobbla2001
12-08-2005, 01:07 PM
I cannot tell you how proud I am of the offense this year after returning only one starters... these kids are unbelievable...

I also cannot tell you how happy/excited I am that #44 is gunna be back in action this game... nothing like watching that tall, skinny boy plow through a kick-off return and snag the guy almost every time...

AP Panther Fan
12-08-2005, 01:22 PM
good article...is Olguin #6? I think that is the number...I remember seeing him "fly" down the sideline and in for a TD during the Ingleside game!:)

Gobbla2001
12-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
good article...is Olguin #6? I think that is the number...I remember seeing him "fly" down the sideline and in for a TD during the Ingleside game!:)

No, #6 is Tre Gray, he's a Jr. too...

Olguin is #23...

neck_06
12-08-2005, 01:52 PM
i just have one question. How is it that Cuero's lineman are always so BIG?

gobblerfan02
12-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
i just have one question. How is it that Cuero's lineman are always so BIG? IT's what we feed 'em, and I'm not givin away the secret!

Gp83
12-08-2005, 03:17 PM
Good to see Cooper back playing.:)

KingRob
12-08-2005, 04:28 PM
Them GOBBLERS are just sounding too good to be true. If this team doesn't bring home the gold, then I don't know what team will (except for last years team, they shoulda won).

BIFF
12-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Must be all the free food

schu1213
12-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Its that Tejas baby

GreenGobbla
12-08-2005, 04:50 PM
tejas is so right....they taxed last time i went there....but the food is right

West22
12-08-2005, 09:52 PM
WITH NO DISRESPECT TO CUERO I THINK THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE MAY BE A LITTLE SUPRISED WITH THE UPCOMING GAMES OR GAME OF CUERO.THEY HAVE NOT REALLY PLAYED ANY REAL GOOD TEAMS ALL YEAR SO I THINK THAT THEIR YEAR WILL BE OVER VERY SOON .I DO THINK THEY HAVE DONE WELL WITH A LOT OF NEW STARTERS .IF THEY DO WIN I WILL BE THE FIRST TO PRAISE THEM BUT I JUST DONT THINK IT WILL HAPPEN .

44INAROW
12-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by West22
THEY HAVE NOT REALLY PLAYED ANY REAL GOOD TEAMS ALL YEAR

According to the THSCA website -
#1 Liberty Hill Liberty Hill HS 6396 total yards Avg 492.0

Cuero 42 Liberty Hill 14 - I'd say beating the #1 team in total offsense is "playing someone"........

I am not saying we're going to win or lose Saturday night, I don't make predictions - but to say the Gobblers haven't played any "real good teams all year" is not totally a true statement.

Gobbla2001
12-08-2005, 10:02 PM
He's from Hubbard, 44, not close to here, eh?

The fact is that most of the Southern part of Texas does not carry the 'names' that his part of the state does, so that means we haven't played 'anybody' with a 'name'...

He could be right, though, we'll wait and see...

Gobbler Fan
12-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by West22
WITH NO DISRESPECT TO CUERO I THINK THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE MAY BE A LITTLE SUPRISED WITH THE UPCOMING GAMES OR GAME OF CUERO.THEY HAVE NOT REALLY PLAYED ANY REAL GOOD TEAMS ALL YEAR SO I THINK THAT THEIR YEAR WILL BE OVER VERY SOON .I DO THINK THEY HAVE DONE WELL WITH A LOT OF NEW STARTERS .IF THEY DO WIN I WILL BE THE FIRST TO PRAISE THEM BUT I JUST DONT THINK IT WILL HAPPEN .

Been hearing that all year :hand: 44 wont say it but I will Cuero WILL WIN sat. by 14 at least .

44INAROW
12-08-2005, 10:03 PM
I just thought I'd mention we had played "somebody"..... (even if they are just "one of those Reg IV teams")

GO MEAN GREEN :):D :D

The Stork
12-08-2005, 11:30 PM
I guess since we've killed everybody that means that they were no-bodies