PDA

View Full Version : Did the Astros...

lepfan
12-07-2005, 11:39 PM
....really cut Clemens loose????

I will answer my own question...it appears they did....

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3510059.html

I just found this

JHS_c/o_06'
12-07-2005, 11:51 PM
the owner probably said. "you know what....i really dont feel like we should make another playoff run this year....what can i do...what can i do?"

wos fan1
12-08-2005, 12:02 AM
They need hitting! :rolleyes:

AggieJohn
12-08-2005, 12:15 AM
from what i understand he was going to get about 17 or 18 million this next season if they went into arbitration, so they decided not too soo that they could spend more money on bats....likely if he does come back, he'll be with the stros but it will be around may of next year when they can resign him, i don't look for many teams, including the rangers to be able to offer him the ability to be with his family the way that they were able to be in houston....

however he is playing in this march's baseball championship, so he's getting back in shape for that which inclinates he still wants to play, i think that he resigns after then

sahen
12-08-2005, 12:17 AM
that is really a horrible title for that article.....they let him go because he said he wont know til jan. if he is gonna play or not, and that is at the earliest....if they offer him arbitration then he is on the roster and they have to set money aside for him, also they cant go after free agents as aggressively because they have less money....the astros are looking at it like if he decides he wants to play again then they will cross that bridge when he gets there......he wont be able to play for the astros til may, if he comes along then the astros will find a way to make room for him, in the mean time they can go get some free agent hitting so they wont have to rely as heavily on the pitching....oswalt, pettitte, and backe are a pretty good 1,2, 3 punch as is....

sahen
12-08-2005, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
from what i understand he was going to get about 17 or 18 million this next season if they went into arbitration, so they decided not too soo that they could spend more money on bats....likely if he does come back, he'll be with the stros but it will be around may of next year when they can resign him, i don't look for many teams, including the rangers to be able to offer him the ability to be with his family the way that they were able to be in houston....

however he is playing in this march's baseball championship, so he's getting back in shape for that which inclinates he still wants to play, i think that he resigns after then
he might not play in march though, he sounds tired to me and doesnt know exactly what he wants right now....it might be good for the 'stros if he doesnt come back and play til may/june, he tired in the last couple months last year...imagine if he wouldve been playing like he did in july/august in sept./oct.....

mwynn05
12-08-2005, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by sahen
he might not play in march though, he sounds tired to me and doesnt know exactly what he wants right now....it might be good for the 'stros if he doesnt come back and play til may/june, he tired in the last couple months last year...imagine if he wouldve been playing like he did in july/august in sept./oct..... He needs to come to Arlington

sahen
12-08-2005, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
He needs to come to Arlington
he isnt going to do that....he wants to stay around his kids and the astros r the only ones that will let him do that...plus the rangers need more than one good pitcher to fix them...actually i dunno what the rangers need, other than some better luck w/ trades and such...*** was that soriano deal? wilkerson is alright but i think soriano would be better to have...

neck_06
12-08-2005, 09:24 AM
roger costs too much and they do need YOUNGER talent. yes, roger is still a great pitcher, but look at it from their prspective, he pulled his hammy @ the end of last year, and he showed signs of slowing down in the playoffs. plus he is like what 54 now!!! ;)

neck_06
12-08-2005, 09:38 AM
ttt

Bearkat
12-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Wouldn't it be wonderful if Clemens went to the RANGERS!!! He could stay in Texas, still see his kids on a regular basis, and give the RANGERS a ligit #1. Of course, it would be for one year only, and it really wouldn't help. Clemens can't pitch 162 games. It would be fun though.

Maroon87
12-08-2005, 12:49 PM
They didn't wanna get hung out to dry like they did last year with Beltran. Then again...that didn't work out too badly after all.:cool:

neck_06
12-08-2005, 01:51 PM
AMEN

kaorder1999
12-08-2005, 02:56 PM
it shoul dbe interesting to see where he ends up