PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Winners among Current 3A Schools over Past 50 Years

WOS87
12-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Finally updated my database to go back to 1951, which was the year the UIL expanded the classification system into 5 classes as we have it today. This is just an expansion of my post earlier which went back 20 years.

This includes all games played through the end of the 2005 season

It's interesting that a different program tops the list on each of the 6 time frames

Sweetwater is the only school that is in the Top Ten in all 6 windows of time going back 50 years. That's pretty amazing consistency...

http://members.aol.com/cboehme/private/20053amostwins1.gif

football4life
12-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Impressive information you got there.:clap:

Sweetwater Red
12-07-2005, 10:28 PM
I like it! You're right, if nothing else we have been consistent.

Jody
12-07-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
Finally updated my database to go back to 1951, which was the year the UIL expanded the classification system into 5 classes as we have it today. This is just an expansion of my post earlier which went back 20 years.

This includes all games played through the 4th round of the 2005 playoffs.
The teams in BOLD still have games left to play so their totals could increase

It's interesting that a different program tops the list on each of the 6 time frames

Sweetwater is the only school that is in the Top Ten in all 6 windows of time going back 50 years. That's pretty amazing consistency...

http://members.aol.com/cboehme/private/20053amostwins1.jpg http://members.aol.com/cboehme/private/20053amostwins2.jpg

As always, your ability to pull stats amazes me. Very nice. I am quite suprised some of your fellow fans have not tried to use this in some way, but then again they probably noticed the issues with that.

Thanks again.

Rainman
12-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Question how old is WO-S

Jody
12-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Rainman
Question how old is WO-S

Let me answer it this way:

If you hit 3 of four drives in the middle of the fairway, your stats show a 75% accuracy rating. Some find that bragging rights and Post Signs on the Interstate.

Now if I hit 750 drives out of 1000, then I consider that doing something.

Stats are not taught in some schools.

LewP
12-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Jody
As always, your ability to pull stats amazes me. Very nice. I am quite suprised some of your fellow fans have not tried to use this in some way, but then again they probably noticed the issues with that.

Thanks again.

Is there anyway you can e-mail to me???? Appreciate it!

griff
12-08-2005, 11:16 AM
WO-S was established in 1977.

Once again, Mr. Jody shows his obsession with downing WO-S for no good reason. Jody, how do you sleep at night with such a sour stomach? Anyone with a thread of common sense can see that the WOS87 (the one who researched and posted the stats) was simply bringing up some interesting facts for discussion. He was not using this as an opportunity to promote WO-S, but you you just can't see that through your pair of bitter bifocals.

Your hate for WO-S is stronger than your love for Barbers Hill. How sad. I hope you can have a merry Christmas.

Oh, yeah...I know. It's all in fun.
:rolleyes:

Eagles52
12-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by griff

Once again, Mr. Jody shows his obsession with downing WO-S for no good reason. Jody, how do you sleep at night with such a sour stomach? Anyone with a thread of common sense can see that the WOS87 (the one who researched and posted the stats) was simply bringing up some interesting facts for discussion. He was not using this as an opportunity to promote WO-S, but you you just can't see that through your pair of bitter bifocals.

Your hate for WO-S is stronger than your love for Barbers Hill. How sad. I hope you can have a merry Christmas.

Jody I generally support you in WOS bashing mostly because it makes me laugh to see everyone get so angry about it and to see the back and forth banter, but here I think I would agree with griff...there just isn't anything there to show any WOS bias. But you still make me the boards fun lol

sicem74
12-08-2005, 03:16 PM
congrats to cameron the top 5 team in past 50 years. where other that hippo team cant find on on any of them hmmmmmmmm

kaorder1999
12-08-2005, 03:17 PM
i didnt k ow that about sweetwater...wow

formermbcouns
12-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Way to go Marlin...great winning % over the last 10 years!

Sweetwater Red
12-08-2005, 04:12 PM
WOS87, you don't happen to have the
all-time win-loss totals for each school
over that entire school's history do you?
Sweetwater got its 500 win in November
of '95. I was just wondering how we
stacked up against other old tradition
rich schools.

KingRob
12-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the stats, dang your good. Nice to see Cuero up there with all the other die hards.

Rabbit'93
12-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Nice job, but one question. How many wins were actually in the 3A classification. If you're going back 50 years, I know several of those schools were in other classes back then. How's about doing one for Forney.:D

kepdawg
12-08-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Nice job, but one question. How many wins were actually in the 3A classification. If you're going back 50 years, I know several of those schools were in other classes back then. How's about doing one for Forney.:D

It took 14 replies! I thought certainly it would take no more than 5!

WOS87
12-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
WOS87, you don't happen to have the
all-time win-loss totals for each school do you?
I was just wondering how we
stacked up against other old tradition
rich schools.

Sure do. This is the list with numbers I've calculated... you'll see minor differences if you compare other lists of all-time win-loss totals because there was no official record kept of games played until the UIL started doing it around 1909 or so, and even then there were games played that didn't get reported....

All-Time Records for Texas 11-man HS Football Ranked by Wins
(Includes all games played through 12/8/05 - teams in red are still alive in the 2005 playoffs, 3A teams in bold)

http://members.aol.com/cboehme/private/mostalltimewins.jpg

This list was compiled using only the historical records of programs that were active in 2005 but even if all programs past and present were included only one school that is closed would make the top 40 - Port Arthur Jefferson would be 15th with a record of 588-285-58

WOS87
12-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93

I'm working on that and it's definitely doable... the problem is some people count 3A from before 1980 as 4A now, and some don't.... so do you want totals of games played only while 3A 1951-present or 2A from 1951-1979 and 3A 1980-present ?

And if such a list were made, you realize that it would also include the records of such schools as Plano and Southlake Carroll while they were 3A so chances are the schools that don't have the best looking stats now, wouldn't have any better looking stats on that list...

Sweetwater Red
12-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Where is it? Did "they" remove it?

Jody
12-08-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by griff

Who is bashing WOS? I am just suprised someone did not try to compare BH and WOS in all that, since it was posted by a WOS person. WOS87 does a lot of great work putting together the stats and they were very interesting.

Why are you so obsessed with my every post? Haven't you got some basketball to watch or something? :D

TOPS1435
12-08-2005, 11:17 PM
I am surprised to see Gilmer at #39. In the 1970s, Gilmer was 3A (=today's 4A) and had a miserable record. No winning seasons in that decade and one game the Buckeyes lost 72-0.

Coach Tommy Waggoner came in 1978 and the classification changed in 1979. In 1981 he was in the state finals. Some of his coaches swore they would never coach a small school in 4A again at the way they were clobbered the first year.

At least recently they have raised the bar high enough that we have not been close to changing categories. It helps when one wants to start a tradition that you don't get moved around too much by UIL

I only recall one 2-year sequence when Daingerfield was in 4A. Even so they frequently have to schedule 4A teams for pre-district games. I wonder why? LOL ;)

PPHSfan
12-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Didn't have anything to do so I took all six list and gave 1 point for a 10th place up to 10 points for a 1st place to see who the mac daddy for the past fifty years is.

And the winner is.................

Cuero 40pts
Pilot Point 33
Daingerfield 32
Sweetwater 29
Gainesville 21
W-OS 20
Abilene Wylie 19
Port Isabel 19
Sinton 17
Cameron Yoe 15
Commerce 15

whew.

Rabbit'93
12-09-2005, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
It took 14 replies! I thought certainly it would take no more than 5!
??????:confused:

Tweeder215
12-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Those are great stats you got there. When I was in high school at Sweetwater I was the editor of our school newspaper. And being a football player I decided for a story about Sweetwater's all time record against Snyder to be written. There were 3 of us that researched it and I was really impressed with how we did WAY back in the day overall not just against Snyder. I'm glad someone could put that in perspective against all the other schools in the state. Thanks for those!!!!

griff
12-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Who is bashing WOS? I am just suprised someone did not try to compare BH and WOS in all that, since it was posted by a WOS person. WOS87 does a lot of great work putting together the stats and they were very interesting.

Why are you so obsessed with my every post? Haven't you got some basketball to watch or something? :D

You're the one obsessed. The football season is over for both schools but your smearing of crap never takes a holiday.

I'm a casual reader of this board who occasionally responds to discussions. A few of the WO-S take your bait on the bantering. I figured out your motives quite some time ago. :D

Let's go back in time. Remember this little exchange...

quote:

Kirbyville definately came to play, we just had way too many mistakes and a few poor calls against us. Oh well, that is the playoffs.

This was one fo the best football teams I have watched in a long time and I feel for them.

griff wrote:

"...one of the best football teams I have watched in a long time..."

Aw, shucks Jody, you don't mean that. Everything you say is just for fun. You almost fooled us again. Always the jokester, aren't you.

Jody wrote:

I have been to Kinwood, almost moved there, so I know there are better things to do than monitor my highly accuarte post. I can save you a lot of time and tell you that one day soon I will publish a book on Texas High School football teams. It will be titled, Those that Suck and Those that Don't know They Suck.

Guess where WOS sits in that one........

Chapter One

WOS Sucked harder than any 5-A team in the past 50 years.
WOS Sucked It's Way to 34 State Title Shots.
WOS Sucks It's Way to 45 Regional Titles.

griff wrote:

There you go again...you know this "everything is all in fun" way of talkin' if awful tricky to follow, but I'm catchin' on. You almost got me again, you ole prankster, you.

Now...what's this about "accuarte post"...did you mean "accurate posts"? That's what I thought. Tryin' to put one past me again, didn't ya? You even know how to play "fun with phonics" and "spelling for the speechless"?

For goodness sakes...you even pronounced my town as "Kinwood", when everybody knows it's "Kingwood".

You are one funny fella, Jody. My gut is hurtin' from laughin' so hard...please stop...my stomach is crampin'.

Looks like this touched a nerve ending with you, Jody. You can't even read your own "language".
:D

Over-rated2004
12-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Mustangs:clap: