PDA

View Full Version : Rocket done in Houston?

Maroon87
12-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Astros won't offer arbitration to ClemensESPN.com news services

Roger Clemens hasn't decided whether he wants to return for a 23rd season or retire. The Houston Astros might have made that decision for him.

The Astros said Wednesday they will not offer arbitration to Clemens, which means he cannot re-sign with the team until May 1.

The Astros offered Clemens, 43, arbitration last season, and the sides eventually agreed on an $18 million salary for the 2004 season.

An agent for Clemens, who is committed to pitching in the World Baseball Classic in March, said that as of Monday the Rocket would retire if forced to make a decision immediately.

Clemens led the major leagues with a career-low 1.87 ERA last season, going 13-8. He finished third in NL Cy Young Award balloting behind Chris Carpenter and Dontrelle Willis.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Adidas410s
12-07-2005, 06:27 PM
(to quote Bowling For Soup) : "Come Back To Texas"...or in this come PLAY for Texas!!! :D

3afan
12-07-2005, 06:31 PM
its all about the $ for Clemens ...

Keith7
12-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

hes as bad as T.O.

At least T.O. shows up for road games

football4life
12-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87

a 23rd season

Now that's some longevity! :clap: And he's still one of the elite in the game. Even still, I say hang 'em up Roger, go hang with the family man!

big daddy russ
12-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
I gotta say, after barely getting to see your family for six months out of every year for 23 years, it would sure take a lot of money to talk me back into the game, but if someone was flashing $20 million in my face I'd be hard-pressed to say I wouldn't take it.