PDA

View Full Version : Holy crap....RE: Highland Park vs. Marshall

KTJ
12-07-2005, 04:07 PM
This is getting way out of hand.

So Craig Way on his radio show just did a blub about this situation. So some Highland Park fans drove out to Tyler to buy tickets. They were going up to local folks at the Wal-Mart and paying the $500 to buy them tickets for the game.

You may be asking why they did that.

Well as it turns out, the Highland Park fans went to Marshall High School (and I think the Tyler schools) and were told they had to be a "resident of that county to buy a ticket for that game because the tickets were for Marshall fans only."

It's also being reported that Highland Park fans have talked to their lawyers, the Governor's office, and had even wanted the game moved to Shreveport! :eek: (but that won't happen.)

raider red 2000
12-07-2005, 04:19 PM
read on another site that they tried to file an injunction with the UIL and it was shot down.

rules are rules. rich people dont always get their way so they get a lawyer...that is hillarious:)

whtfbplaya
12-07-2005, 04:35 PM
wow

whtfbplaya
12-07-2005, 04:36 PM
The stadium is pretty small, but it will hold more than they think.

Fletch
12-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Yeah! Screw all those rich parents and grandparents of the HP players and students! HS football is for us coaches. Whatever it takes for me to feel like a man!

Snooker those big city prima-donnas and all those thousands of other fans who love Texas HS football. They don't need to see the game. It's just the state championship.

We're keeping the game right here in our world, and hope it gives our boys a little edge. Our kids don't want to play for the state championship in Texas stadium..... that's not a thrill.......they wouldn't remember it for the rest of their lives.....

If some of our locals can't get into the game either, tough for them. We saved the 7,000 or so ones who will get in in a LONG 2 hour drive to Dallas. Who cares if they have to leave for the game 4 hours early to get a seat!

We've got to show our manhood!:doh:

gtownpoke
12-07-2005, 06:18 PM
HP lost the coin flip. Thats it. As far as playing at Texas Stadium....East Texans have been doing that for quite a while. For once the big city boys have to come out to the woods and oh my gosh its horrible. I can guarantee there are quite a few teams that would love to be in HPs situation just for the simple fact that they are playing for a state championship. The stadium will hold a lot more than you think. If you want to complain about it then dont come! I am hearing the exact same thing about the SLC-Lufkin game but its toned down a little bit. Playing in those big stadiums is a unique experience... but imagine turning 360 degrees and seeing fans EVERYWHERE. It will be loud in Tyler and at SFA. It will be packed at both places. And it will be one of the best high school football atmospheres they will have ever seen.

Adidas410s
12-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by gtownpoke
HP lost the coin flip. Thats it. As far as playing at Texas Stadium....East Texans have been doing that for quite a while. For once the big city boys have to come out to the woods and oh my gosh its horrible. I can guarantee there are quite a few teams that would love to be in HPs situation just for the simple fact that they are playing for a state championship. The stadium will hold a lot more than you think. If you want to complain about it then dont come! I am hearing the exact same thing about the SLC-Lufkin game but its toned down a little bit. Playing in those big stadiums is a unique experience... but imagine turning 360 degrees and seeing fans EVERYWHERE. It will be loud in Tyler and at SFA. It will be packed at both places. And it will be one of the best high school football atmospheres they will have ever seen.

It's not about having to go to East Texas. It's about the FACT that HP sold OVER 11,000 ADULT TICKETS for last week's game but was only allowed 5,500 TOTAL TICKETS this week of which 4,700 were sold to adults and ONLY 800 TICKETS for students...of which HP has a student body of approximately 2,000. It's a situation when less than half of the school body will be able to attend their own state championship game. Do the numbers add up for ya now???

gtownpoke
12-07-2005, 06:31 PM
The field is still 100 yards long and theres still 2 goal posts. If they beat Marshall they will still get their rings. The true dedicated fans from HP will make the trip and will get their seats. Marshall gave the option of neutral sites like Kyle Field and others but HP did not want that. They flipped for it and Marshall won. This could have been played at a neutral site but HP was dead set on playing at Texas Stadium. So your HP officials had the option of playing at a bigger stadium. Does that add up for you?

VWG
12-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Having a state title game in the great state of TEXAS in a stadium that holds under 15k is ridiculous.
Both schools should have realized that they can benefit from playing in a much larger stadium. Heck, what did Fouts Field have last weekend..... something like 21k plus?
Plano-SLC had around 36k?
I heard that Tyler Rose has 12,000 capacity???

Adidas410s
12-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by gtownpoke
The field is still 100 yards long and theres still 2 goal posts. If they beat Marshall they will still get their rings. The true dedicated fans from HP will make the trip and will get their seats. Marshall gave the option of neutral sites like Kyle Field and others but HP did not want that. They flipped for it and Marshall won. This could have been played at a neutral site but HP was dead set on playing at Texas Stadium. So your HP officials had the option of playing at a bigger stadium. Does that add up for you?

MY HP officials??? Seriously...the only connection I have at all to HP is that I used to date a girl at SMU...and she is from Abilene so don't try to say it's MY school by any means. The "true dedicated fans" won't even all have tickets BECAUSE THEIR AREN'T ENOUGH SEATS!!!

Seriously...why would either school want to drive to College Station (180 miles for HP and 210 for Marshall) when other locations, such as Texas Stadium and Baylor, were offered AND available to use? That would be dumb to do so. It's the fact that Marshall (and ETX schools in general) are so tired of playing in the Metroplex...tired of it because they LOSE TO BETTER TEAMS...that they decided to be moronic instead of practical about the situation. As VWG pointed out, they are now costing themselves $1000's in revenue which any school would be dumb to turn down. Oh well...they got their way...they'll probably still lose so it won't matter

Matthew328
12-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Baylor is not available this week or it would have been used....If I was Marshall's coach I wouldn't wanna play HP at Texas Stadium...

Adidas410s
12-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Baylor is not available this week or it would have been used....If I was Marshall's coach I wouldn't wanna play HP at Texas Stadium...

I guess there is something non-football related going on?

3afan
12-07-2005, 08:52 PM
i heard there is a "welcome home troops" kind of celebration at Floyd Casey ...

formermbcouns
12-07-2005, 08:55 PM
I, too, think it was pretty silly to hold this game in a stadium that only holds 12,000. This wasn't very good planning, it seems.

lostaussie
12-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Fletch
Yeah! Screw all those rich parents and grandparents of the HP players and students! HS football is for us coaches. Whatever it takes for me to feel like a man!

Snooker those big city prima-donnas and all those thousands of other fans who love Texas HS football. They don't need to see the game. It's just the state championship.

We're keeping the game right here in our world, and hope it gives our boys a little edge. Our kids don't want to play for the state championship in Texas stadium..... that's not a thrill.......they wouldn't remember it for the rest of their lives.....

If some of our locals can't get into the game either, tough for them. We saved the 7,000 or so ones who will get in in a LONG 2 hour drive to Dallas. Who cares if they have to leave for the game 4 hours early to get a seat!

We've got to show our manhood!:doh: marshall played for the championship in texas stadium last year and lost. they been there done that. they are looking for the ring this year, and if a little home cookin is what it takes, so be it.

Txbroadcaster
12-07-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
It's the fact that Marshall (and ETX schools in general) are so tired of playing in the Metroplex...tired of it because they LOSE TO BETTER TEAMS...that they decided to be moronic instead of practical about the situation. As VWG pointed out, they are now costing themselves $1000's in revenue which any school would be dumb to turn down. Oh well...they got their way...they'll probably still lose so it won't matter

Would care to back that up with stats that Marshall and all of East Texas are tired of losing to DFW teams. It is a simple case of why should ANY of the smaller regions bow down to the bigger cities for every state championship game.

HP lost the flip fair and square. And why was Rose ok for HP when they played Texas High a couple of weeks ago agianst a team that had beat them out the year before and a game that had been hyped ALL year long. You would have thought the thousands upon thousands of HP faithful would have showed up for that game since they lost to them last year.

Or what about the Ennis-HP game, I broadcast a game that was expecting 30,000 or more and got all of 22,000. Where were the HP fans for that intense rivalry.

Marshall chose Rose not to limit HP's fandom, not because they are tired of losing to DFW teams, they did it to simply make this as much a road game for HP as it would be for Marshall. If Marshall really wanted to be so called jerks about it they could have flipped Longview as their nuetral site and that is only 30 miles from Marshall.

East Texas teams are not tired of losing to DFW teams( because it is not like DFW teams dominate East Texas teams by any stretch of the imagination). They are tired of the DFW schools expecting them to go to the big city for every big game.

3afan
12-07-2005, 09:13 PM
i'd say thats very accurate !

lostaussie
12-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

East Texas teams are not tired of losing to DFW teams( because it is not like DFW teams dominate East Texas teams by any stretch of the imagination). They are tired of the DFW schools expecting them to go to the big city for every big game. there certainly is no domination. you hit the nail on the head. marshall's fans will be there. they have absolutely NO OBLIGATION to highland park other than to line up and play the game.

Fletch
12-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Correction, SOME of Marshall's fans will be there. The rest will be shut out. Big victory, huh?:confused:

Txbroadcaster
12-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Look a coache's FIRST AND FOREMOST concern is putting his team in the best position to win, not to make sure both teams will have plenty of seats for their fans.

Plus I PROMISE you there will be seats. People are acting like it is 12,000 and nothing else. There is plenty of space to see the game from the hills.

Once this game is over all you will hear about is how AWESOME the atmoshpere was at the game.

Hupernikomen
12-07-2005, 10:15 PM
MY HP officials??? Seriously...the only connection I have at all to HP is that I used to date a girl at SMU...and she is from Abilene so don't try to say it's MY school by any means. The "true dedicated fans" won't even all have tickets BECAUSE THEIR AREN'T ENOUGH SEATS!!!

Seriously...why would either school want to drive to College Station (180 miles for HP and 210 for Marshall) when other locations, such as Texas Stadium and Baylor, were offered AND available to use? That would be dumb to do so. It's the fact that Marshall (and ETX schools in general) are so tired of playing in the Metroplex...tired of it because they LOSE TO BETTER TEAMS...that they decided to be moronic instead of practical about the situation. As VWG pointed out, they are now costing themselves $1000's in revenue which any school would be dumb to turn down. Oh well...they got their way...they'll probably still lose so it won't matter

How far do you think it is to Texas Stadium for Marshall??

Haunta Yo
12-07-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
How far do you think it is to Texas Stadium for Marshall??

163.27 Mapquest Miles!

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?do=nw&go=1&1a=&1c=Marshall&1s=TX&1z=&1n=Harrison&1y=US&1l=2XJ0SLHgAxA%3d&1g=OGF2xQfgjfk%3d&1v=CITY&2a=2401%20E%20Airport%20Fwy&2c=Irving&2s=TX&2z=75062%2d4839&2y=US&2l=QJFwPue5MVA%3d&2g=Q9PzS9trBkE%3d&2pn=&2pl=&2v=ADDRESS&2ffi=1&2ex=&2n=

:D :D :D

etbu
12-08-2005, 12:23 AM
Would care to back that up with stats that Marshall and all of East Texas are tired of losing to DFW teams. It is a simple case of why should ANY of the smaller regions bow down to the bigger cities for every state championship game.

HP lost the flip fair and square. And why was Rose ok for HP when they played Texas High a couple of weeks ago agianst a team that had beat them out the year before and a game that had been hyped ALL year long. You would have thought the thousands upon thousands of HP faithful would have showed up for that game since they lost to them last year.

Or what about the Ennis-HP game, I broadcast a game that was expecting 30,000 or more and got all of 22,000. Where were the HP fans for that intense rivalry.

Marshall chose Rose not to limit HP's fandom, not because they are tired of losing to DFW teams, they did it to simply make this as much a road game for HP as it would be for Marshall. If Marshall really wanted to be so called jerks about it they could have flipped Longview as their nuetral site and that is only 30 miles from Marshall.

East Texas teams are not tired of losing to DFW teams( because it is not like DFW teams dominate East Texas teams by any stretch of the imagination). They are tired of the DFW schools expecting them to go to the big city for every big game.

Thanks TxBroadcaster. Marshall folks dont have to bow dow to anyone and never have. I will be there from Houston and cheering the Mavs on. :D

Rabbit'93
12-08-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by etbu
I will be there from Houston and cheering the Mavs on. :D Hope you already have a ticket.;)

spiveyrat
12-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Hope you already have a ticket.;)

Get 'em here! (http://search.ebay.com/marshall-tickets_W0QQfrppZ50QQfsopZ1QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ30 0)

etbu
12-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Hope you already have a ticket.;)
Never a issue.:D

Adidas410s
12-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Get 'em here! (http://search.ebay.com/marshall-tickets_W0QQfrppZ50QQfsopZ1QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ30 0)

I wonder if these people will get in trouble for scalping tickets to a HS game.

lostaussie
12-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Fletch
Correction, SOME of Marshall's fans will be there. The rest will be shut out. Big victory, huh?:confused: i have heard no complaining coming from the marshall side. all the whining is from highland park. i do know the marshall folks are tired of being called hicks:D

Rabbit'93
12-08-2005, 11:15 AM
I actually read a post on Smoaky where one guy was upset that he couldn't get a ticket. :D

Phil C
12-08-2005, 11:17 AM
At least they can watch the game on TV and also Dawn at Socorro on Friday night on TCM starting at 7:00 P.M. and ending at 8:30 P.M.

Phil C
12-08-2005, 11:19 AM
HP fans - you must stay calm, cool and collected and not lose your composure.

http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Old_School=composure.wav

Adidas410s
12-08-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i have heard no complaining coming from the marshall side. all the whining is from highland park. i do know the marshall folks are tired of being called hicks:D

no the Marshall folks are abandoning their team by putting their tickets on EBay as a chance to make a profit off of HS football. It's one thing for HP people to sell their ticket but for Marshall people to buy a ticket just to turn around and sell it on EBay...that is just wrong.

Txbroadcaster
12-08-2005, 04:54 PM
no the Marshall folks are abandoning their team by putting their tickets on EBay as a chance to make a profit off of HS football. It's one thing for HP people to sell their ticket but for Marshall people to buy a ticket just to turn around and sell it on EBay...that is just wrong.

As was HP fans as well, plus they were scalping Tickets. Not sure why you seem to have a hate for East texas

Adidas410s
12-08-2005, 04:58 PM
As was HP fans as well, plus they were scalping Tickets. Not sure why you seem to have a hate for East texas

I don't have any hate for east texas. I am simply making an observation. Go look at the tickets for sale and the majority of them this morning were being posted by people in Marshall. I don't make the facts...I simply state them.

Rabbit'93
12-08-2005, 05:07 PM
As was HP fans as well, plus they were scalping Tickets. Not sure why you seem to have a hate for East texas Do you know for sure that someone directly associated with HP was scalping.

I'm not particularly an HP fan but they are in our district so I spport them. I just find it amusing that when any body plays them it always turns into "Rich big city folk vs Good ol' poor country folk. Kinda like everything that's bad about america vs. everything good about america. Is it wrong that their supporters would like to see the game. Not to mention everyone that would like to watch the finals. Believe me I grew up in the country and everyone ain't that great.

Txbroadcaster
12-08-2005, 05:12 PM
I don't have any hate for east texas. I am simply making an observation. Go look at the tickets for sale and the majority of them this morning were being posted by people in Marshall. I don't make the facts...I simply state them.

No your stating half the facts. On Ebay right now the front pagae in search for Tickets, you find just as many from Dallas, and Ft Worth and Jefferson as you do Marshall.

Of the 19 on the page ( not including the webcast thing)

12 of the auctions are from outside Marshall

Txbroadcaster
12-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Do you know for sure that someone directly associated with HP was scalping.

I'm not particularly an HP fan but they are in our district so I spport them. I just find it amusing that when any body plays them it always turns into "Rich big city folk vs Good ol' poor country folk. Kinda like everything that's bad about america vs. everything good about america. Is it wrong that their supporters would like to see the game. Not to mention everyone that would like to watch the finals. Believe me I grew up in the country and everyone ain't that great.

I am in no way making this a rich city vs Country, I have lived in both and love both. and yes I have FIRST HAND knowledge of scalping on BOTH sides. My whole point is both sides are trying to make a quick buck out of this

Adidas410s
12-08-2005, 05:28 PM
No your stating half the facts. On Ebay right now the front pagae in search for Tickets, you find just as many from Dallas, and Ft Worth and Jefferson as you do Marshall.

Of the 19 on the page ( not including the webcast thing)

12 of the auctions are from outside Marshall

I said as of this morning...it was something like 10 or 11 from Marshall and 3 or 4 from outside of there. With many of them being 24 hr auctions and buy it now auctions...it will change quickly.

I am in no way making this a rich city vs Country, I have lived in both and love both. and yes I have FIRST HAND knowledge of scalping on BOTH sides. My whole point is both sides are trying to make a quick buck out of this

Yeah I said the same thing this morning on another thread! I think it's crappy that people are profiting off of HS football...regardless of the socioeconomic levels of the schools involved. See we now have two things we agree on :p

Txbroadcaster
12-08-2005, 05:30 PM
LOL i normally agree with most of your thoughts on things, but we need to show some others this is how you debate without it turning ugly LOL

Adidas410s
12-08-2005, 05:40 PM
LOL i normally agree with most of your thoughts on things, but we need to show some others this is how you debate without it turning ugly LOL

lol...yeah. It's hard to have a good debate on here without somebody either a) getting their feathers ruffled or b) they just start calling names and/or ignoring you because they don't want to hear another viewpoint. Oh well...

Txbroadcaster
12-08-2005, 05:59 PM
lol...yeah. It's hard to have a good debate on here without somebody either a) getting their feathers ruffled or b) they just start calling names and/or ignoring you because they don't want to hear another viewpoint. Oh well...

I am sorry what did you say I was trying to put my feathers in place and was ignoring you:D

Adidas410s
12-08-2005, 06:06 PM
I am sorry what did you say I was trying to put my feathers in place and was ignoring you:D

lol...nice

X Man
12-09-2005, 02:41 AM
So adidas, it's not about football, it's about ticket sales, huh? If it was up to me, the neither team would have a choice. It would be a neutral stadium, half way between both schools. But it would never be Texas Stadium. That field has a crown on it like no other. If you have never played on it, it can sure screw up your passing game.

3afan
12-09-2005, 05:06 AM
I wonder if these people will get in trouble for scalping tickets to a HS game.

dont think so - scalping laws are local and dont (can't) regulate the internet

unclebeebeep
12-09-2005, 07:21 AM
I hear this game is going to be on television for the local folks not able to get tickets to the game

Aesculus gilmus
12-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
HP fans - you must stay calm, cool and collected and not lose your composure.

http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Old_School=composure.wav

I sent this to a couple of my friends yesterday and said in my subject line that it was audio from a locker room talk by Canton Coach Gary Joe Kinne. Both of them believed me.:D

pirate4state
12-09-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by unclebeebeep
I hear this game is going to be on television for the local folks not able to get tickets to the game Just read that in the paper.