PDA

View Full Version : Federal Air Marshall shoots passenger

spiveyrat
12-07-2005, 03:15 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/07/airplane.gunshot/index.html

Glad to hear this! Will give anyone planning any ill will towards any US airliners something to think about. :thumbsup:

Sweetwater Red
12-07-2005, 03:19 PM
He only shot him once? Hell, he shoulda
emptied the gun on him. Claiming to
have a bomb....

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Emptied the gun on him? That would be a great idea, because then they could have killed a man who did not actually have a bomb and was just lying. I don't think that I have heard anything more ridiculous all day.

zeus63
12-07-2005, 03:33 PM
I know from my recent experience with air travel that those guys at the airports are working extra hard to make us safe. I had an expired id and they had me get pat searched and a meatl detector run over my body for about 5 minutes. They also searched all of my things in my bag. After the guy was finished he apologized for the inconvienience. I told him that he didn't need to apologize for doing his job and that I was glad that there were people that actually care whether we live or die working at the airports.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-07-2005, 03:35 PM
You probably would not have been so forgiving if he gave you a deep cavity search. :D

zeus63
12-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
You probably would not have been so forgiving if he gave you a deep cavity search. :D

LOL!!! That is too funny!!

Stretch04
12-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Emptied the gun on him? That would be a great idea, because then they could have killed a man who did not actually have a bomb and was just lying. I don't think that I have heard anything more ridiculous all day.

Gotta be a Democrat

turbostud
12-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Well its nice to know that the Federal Gov's purpose is justified sometimes.

mustang04
12-07-2005, 04:04 PM
im not saying im GLAD they shot him, but i do agree w/ their actions.... threatening to have a bomb on a plane in the US, ESPECIALLY NOW, to me, leaves u suspect to having some sort of other weapon or being suicidal and justifies the law enforcement's actions to do what they think is necessary for the security of others....he shouldnt have yelled out something like that

gary!!..sup broseph

Sweetwater Red
12-07-2005, 04:10 PM

The marshall didn't know that. He was
doing his job.

3afan
12-07-2005, 04:12 PM

he might have fallen in love :inlove:

handNthedirt
12-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Don't start no ****....Won't be no ****!!!! That is why the air marshals are there....Fella got what he had coming!

UPanIN
12-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Another Darwin award given out. And the prize goes to.

The idiot that said he had a bomb. Gene pool taken out.

Tweeder215
12-07-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
Don't start no ****....Won't be no ****!!!! That is why the air marshals are there....Fella got what he had coming!

I agree. My mom is a Flight Attendant and has been for 20 years and I think he got what he had coming. I would rather them be safe than sorry especially if that was a plane my mom was on...

WitchyWoman
12-07-2005, 04:40 PM

Did you even read the article... They did kill him and he didn't have a bomb. But.......... The bottom line is he said, "I've got a bomb in my bag."

My Fiance is a State Trooper, if someone ever pulled a gun on him, I pray that he uses his 357 against the offender, and asks questions later. I sometime watch video clips that are sent to our Troopers titled "In the line of duty" let me tell you about one.
Two years ago a deputy from GA. pulled a guy over. The man was told to walk back to the Deputy's vehicle. The man refused and just stood beside his truck with the drivers side door open, hands in his pockets. The Deputy instructed the man several times to remove his hands from his pockets and to proceed to the patrol car. The man would take a few steps toward the Deputy and then return to his vehicles side. This continued for several minutes and progressed to the point of the offender gesturing wildly and cursing at the Deputy. "I'm a GD Vietnam vet and so forth, I don't have to listen to you!" The Deputy continues to yell at the man, instructing him as before to walk towards the patrol car. The offender turns around walks to his vehicle (truck) raises the seat and pulls out a rifle. The Deputy DOES NOT SHOOT!!! He instructs the offender to put down the gun. Not once but several times. Put down the gun sir, sir put down the gun. The Man opens fire. The shootout lasted for 2-2.5 minutes.
The Deputy was 25 years of old, he was shot to death standing beside his patrol car. The interview with the shooter was seen by Troopers only, my fiance said that one sentence just stuck in his head. The Man said, "He should have shot me when I got out my gun."

That's the same as this nut. He states as he is boarding a plane that he has a bomb and you think they should just have a chat with him? You are the one that's ridiculous.

Sweetwater Red
12-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Thank you WW! Even if you're a Tiger fan:) .

whtfbplaya
12-07-2005, 04:54 PM
I may be the lone ranger here, but I do not see the justification for deadly force in this case. And belive me I am the first in most cases. Where do you draw the line, what if next time it is a mentally challenged person, or a kid.

WitchyWoman
12-07-2005, 04:55 PM
My pleasure, and yes I'm a Member of the NRA too. I hunt, I fish and I shoot back.

If guns are outlawed, then only outlaws will have guns. Think about that one.

mustang04
12-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
I may be the lone ranger here, but I do not see the justification for deadly force in this case. And belive me I am the first in most cases. Where do you draw the line, what if next time it is a mentally challenged person, or a kid.

are u serious????

Tweeder215
12-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
are u serious????

I agree. The training of these individuals doesn't interfere with their COMMON SENSE!!! Geez man.

UPanIN
12-07-2005, 05:13 PM

The line was drawn when he said he had a bomb.

If he had blown everyone up I guess it would have been okay if he had been "mentally challenged, or a kid".

What a crock of PC BS.

Sweetwater Red
12-07-2005, 05:18 PM

Sacrifice the few to protect the many....

WitchyWoman
12-07-2005, 05:46 PM

In my opinion what you call deadly force, I call necessary force. I wish the passengers aboard the planes that crashed into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon on 0911 had used deadly force to overtake their hi-jackers. They didn't and they lost their lives that day. Unfortunately they were probably thinking like most people in America. Just do what they say and nobody will get hurt, don't go against them and nobody will get hurt. Co-operate, be quiet, don't draw attention to yourself... Sometimes you need to step out of the quiet. Thousands of men and women have died for our freedom. It always amazes me when something like this occurs, the people that say "Well they didn't have to kill him." Why not...... why not.......
The Passengers on the Plane that crashed into a field outside of Shanksville Pennsylvania stepped out of the quiet that day, out of anonymity, they were heard, and seen, and felt by all.
They parished among their Hi-Jackers but they chose to save countless lives by their actions.
They were Heroes.
God Bless and Keep Them.

WitchyWoman
12-07-2005, 05:47 PM

GS#17
12-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Two years ago a deputy from GA. pulled a guy over. The man was told to walk back to the Deputy's vehicle. The man refused and just stood beside his truck with the drivers side door open, hands in his pockets. The Deputy instructed the man several times to remove his hands from his pockets and to proceed to the patrol car. The man would take a few steps toward the Deputy and then return to his vehicles side. This continued for several minutes and progressed to the point of the offender gesturing wildly and cursing at the Deputy. "I'm a GD Vietnam vet and so forth, I don't have to listen to you!" The Deputy continues to yell at the man, instructing him as before to walk towards the patrol car. The offender turns around walks to his vehicle (truck) raises the seat and pulls out a rifle. The Deputy DOES NOT SHOOT!!! He instructs the offender to put down the gun. Not once but several times. Put down the gun sir, sir put down the gun. The Man opens fire. The shootout lasted for 2-2.5 minutes.

I watched that video, and it was absolutely horrifying.

The perception of someone having a bomb has to be taken very seriously -- you can't wait around and see if someone detonates it. It's the same as someone pulling a gun out -- you can't just hope they don't use it. Hindsight is 20-20, but when you put yourself in that situation (especially after you've been trained and know how fast things can turn very sour), you can't blame anyone for not calling the guy's bluff.

WestTXLonghorn
12-07-2005, 08:32 PM
In most cases I'd say blow the dude away and worry about it later. However, you have to at least think it over some. The guy didn't start going wacko until the plane had landed. . .his wife was trying to calm him down, etc. So, he doesn't fit the bill of a terrorist or whatever. . .

That being said. . .if you're off your rocker enough to yell at a Sky Marshal and tell him you have a bomb and then reach into the bag. . .you're at the bottom of the gene pool and need to be wiped out anyway.

GS#17
12-07-2005, 08:43 PM
So, he doesn't fit the bill of a terrorist or whatever. . .

Just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean it will never happen. Terrorists aren't "conventional," and their entire purpose is to disrupt the norm. Before 9/11, hijackers didn't fly planes into buildings, there was no such thing as a shoe-bomber, etc. Five years ago, this guy gets met in the terminal by five guys with white coats; that's not today's world, though.

The people who are paid to protect us cannot be complacent, and if they are going to make an error, it's much better for them to err on the side of caution than to trust a crazed guy who has just made a bomb threat.

X Man
12-07-2005, 08:51 PM
There are so "ifs" "ands", and "buts", here, and I just have to place my trust in that the officer involved had weighed all the options, and taken the correct course of action to protect the people. I'm feel fairly certain that if he could have removed the satchel from the man, he would have, rather than shoot the man.

sww-bull52
12-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by WitchyWoman
In my opinion what you call deadly force, I call necessary force. I wish the passengers aboard the planes that crashed into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon on 0911 had used deadly force to overtake their hi-jackers. They didn't and they lost their lives that day. Unfortunately they were probably thinking like most people in America. Just do what they say and nobody will get hurt, don't go against them and nobody will get hurt. Co-operate, be quiet, don't draw attention to yourself... Sometimes you need to step out of the quiet. Thousands of men and women have died for our freedom. It always amazes me when something like this occurs, the people that say "Well they didn't have to kill him." Why not...... why not.......
The Passengers on the Plane that crashed into a field outside of Shanksville Pennsylvania stepped out of the quiet that day, out of anonymity, they were heard, and seen, and felt by all.
They parished among their Hi-Jackers but they chose to save countless lives by their actions.
They were Heroes.
God Bless and Keep Them.

Amen.

shankbear
12-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Good shots like this guy don't have to waste valuable bullets. I am glad he shot the guy. I wish a marshall had been on board some planes when the box cutters came out in 2001.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-07-2005, 09:02 PM
I can understand immobilizing the threat, but I'm just saying how idiotic that it would be to sit there and shoot round after round into a person whenever you could eliminate the threat with a non-life threatening shot. It was already proven that apparently he did not have a bomb, but you think that he should have just sat there and kept shooting. True, I am a democrat, but at least I have the common sense and a slight bit of compassion. That man could have had a family and kids that could have never saw him again because he was shot several times in cold blood over a statement that was not true. With all of the screening that a person goes through at an airport, I would think that he was full of it because it would be next to impossible.

jmcgee
12-07-2005, 09:04 PM
I can understand immobilizing the threat, but I'm just saying how idiotic that it would be to sit there and shoot round after round into a person whenever you could eliminate the threat with a non-life threatening shot. It was already proven that apparently he did not have a bomb, but you think that he should have just sat there and kept shooting. True, I am a democrat, but at least I have the common sense and a slight bit of compassion. That man could have had a family and kids that could have never saw him again because he was shot several times in cold blood over a statement that was not true. With all of the screening that a person goes through at an airport, I would think that he was full of it because it would be next to impossible. The shot prob. was supposed to be a non leathal shot but a bullet does have guided tech. in it.

sww-bull52
12-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by GS#17
Just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean it will never happen. Terrorists aren't "conventional," and their entire purpose is to disrupt the norm. Before 9/11, hijackers didn't fly planes into buildings, there was no such thing as a shoe-bomber, etc. Five years ago, this guy gets met in the terminal by five guys with white coats; that's not today's world, though.

The people who are paid to protect us cannot be complacent, and if they are going to make an error, it's much better for them to err on the side of caution than to trust a crazed guy who has just made a bomb threat.

Be certain that the terrorists are planning new and terrible ways to cause death and destruction on our country. They will watch and learn for years and find any weakness they can. These days terrorists are not all wearing beards and turbans.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Let me guess, you're one of those guys who support taking away our civil rights to protect us.....You must be a big supporter of the Patriot Act.

sww-bull52
12-07-2005, 09:09 PM
I can understand immobilizing the threat, but I'm just saying how idiotic that it would be to sit there and shoot round after round into a person whenever you could eliminate the threat with a non-life threatening shot. It was already proven that apparently he did not have a bomb, but you think that he should have just sat there and kept shooting. True, I am a democrat, but at least I have the common sense and a slight bit of compassion. That man could have had a family and kids that could have never saw him again because he was shot several times in cold blood over a statement that was not true. With all of the screening that a person goes through at an airport, I would think that he was full of it because it would be next to impossible.

Read my post above. How can you say that in a situation like that you should use a non life threatening shot? Have you ever been in a life threatening situation? I have. I was in the first gulf war and I can honestly tell you that if you are in a situation like that you are NOT thinking of a non-life threatening shot

sww-bull52
12-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Let me guess, you're one of those guys who support taking away our civil rights to protect us.....You must be a big supporter of the Patriot Act.

As a matter of fact anything that will make me and my family safe I am definetly for.

Pmoney
12-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by WitchyWoman
They were Heroes.
God Bless and Keep Them.
i agree w/ you on all of that but you cant say that the passengers were being heros bc some might not have had anything to use a deadly force to take over the hijackers

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Let me tell you something. There is a big difference between war and the events that took place on the plane. And you say that you are for the Patriot Act. Well, if you are so keen to give up your civil liberties, then you can move to Cuba where there are none. You can see first hand how much having no civil rights and liberties will protect you and your family.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Since we are on the topic of the WTC and Pentagon plane crashes, there was substantial evidence to prove that there were terrorists funded by Osama bin Laden in the United States that were training to become pilots and would crash into certain U.S. landmarks. The information was ruled to be insufficient....

sww-bull52
12-07-2005, 09:19 PM
I was in the Marine Corps for six years, am a decorated veteran, and you want to tell me this kind of crap? It is pretty obvious that you are a Democrat. You are not happy unless you are moaning about something being wrong with this country. Why don't you move to Cuba for a few years and see how much you take for granted the freedom that people like me give you?

rockdale80
12-07-2005, 09:20 PM

Well the Patriot Act is there to help us on the fight against Terrorism. That is also why we went to Iraq...to take Sadam(who had ties to Al quaeda), get rid of some WMD's, and bring Democracy to Iraq. I mean we must really be about fighting Terrorism if we are going to attack a sovereign nation completely unprovoked. We even falsified intelligence(or lied) just so we could build a case on going over there to fight terrorism. Then a guy unloads a clip into a guy on an airplane....and you guessed it...fighting terrorism. We should all listen to everything our great president is saying. He has no reason to tell us whatever sounds good. I mean we should listen to everything our government tells/sells us and take it as the gospel, because some of us arent intelligent enough to think for ourselves.

3afan
12-07-2005, 09:20 PM
the Mrs. is flying up here tomorrow ;) ..... so whatever the marshalls have to do to keep passengers safe is fine with me

LH Panther Mom
12-07-2005, 09:21 PM
Take it off politics or it's closed.

shankbear
12-07-2005, 09:21 PM
Big Blue, you do not want to go there. It was idot democraps that prevented intelligence agencies from sharing info. A dead terrorist is a dead terrorist. Dead ones never come back to get you.

But back to football, hockey, baseball, snooker, fishing.......

HighSchool Fan
12-07-2005, 09:24 PM
True, I am a democrat, compassion.

democrat and compassion in the same sentence. one word: ABORTION. not much compassion for the little innocent baby is there.

rockdale80
12-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
Big Blue, you do not want to go there. It was idot democraps that prevented intelligence agencies from sharing info. A dead terrorist is a dead terrorist. Dead ones never come back to get you.

But back to football, hockey, baseball, snooker, fishing.......

That is only if you believe what Fox news tells you. If you want to know the real deal then maybe you should poke around and do some research on your own. There is overwhelming evidence that there was substantial warning on the part of Clinton's outgoing administration, and simply ignored by the new one. I wont get into that either, but it is the absolute truth. If you dont believe me then go look for youself.

lepfan
12-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Stretch04
Gotta be a Democrat

Ummmm, did you read the rules? Ya might want to!

Ranger Mom
12-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Just like CHC_CG said...we are damned if we do and damned if we dont.

LH Panther Mom just posted...get of the politics...but did some listen??

NOOOOOO!!!!!

whtfbplaya
12-07-2005, 09:28 PM
I give it 2 more min

rockdale80
12-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
democrat and compassion in the same sentence. one word: ABORTION. not much compassion for the little innocent baby is there.

See that is where there is a huge misconception about democrats. I do not believe in ABORTION, but I dont think it is right for the governement to make that decision for me. And if life starts at conception then you eat a baby everytime you eat an egg. So were you one of those people that thought it was right for the government to step in during the Schiavo case? Or do you believe family's can make their own decisions?

DaHop72
12-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Nothing personal, but I feel a Master lock coming.

shankbear
12-07-2005, 09:30 PM
I NEVER watch faux news, I do the research myself. You must be glued to CBSNBCCNNABC and all the other clonevision networks. Your New York Times WasPost boys paint the lib picture but even they admitted that the dimwits hurt the situation when sharing info was vital. Look it up.

HighSchool Fan
12-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
See that is where there is a huge misconception about democrats. I do not believe in ABORTION, but I dont think it is right for the governement to make that decision for me. And if life starts at conception then you eat a baby everytime you eat an egg. So were you one of those people that thought it was right for the government to step in during the Schiavo case? Or do you believe family's can make their own decisions?

i think her husband made the decision, not the government.

Ranger Mom
12-07-2005, 09:32 PM
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

LH Panther Mom
12-07-2005, 09:33 PM
http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/padlock2.gif