PDA

View Full Version : Highland Park fans are some upset rich folks

KTJ
12-07-2005, 12:46 PM
No ticket woes for Carroll

11:13 AM CST on Wednesday, December 7, 2005

By DAMON SAYLES / The Dallas Morning News

Ticket sales for Southlake Carroll's state football playoff game went smoothly Wednesday morning at six Carroll ISD schools, officials said.

Southlake Carroll (14-0) will play Lukfin (14-0) in the Class 5A, Division II semifinals at 2 p.m. Saturday at Homer Bryce Stadium in Nacogdoches, about a 3 1/2-hour drive from Dallas-Fort Worth.

Principals Daniel Presley and Rick Westfall said sales were comparable to what they have been throughout the playoffs. Presley speculated that a lot of fans probably were still deciding whether to make the trip to Nacogdoches.

"We’ve got tickets, plenty of tickets," Westfall said. "The traffic we’re getting right now is pretty much what we get every week."

Said Presley: "We’re selling them at different sites, so it’s pretty spread out for those who want to buy tickets. That makes it convenient for everyone."

On Tuesday, hundreds of Highland Park fans were turned away frustrated, disappointed and angry after most of the school's allotment of 5,500 playoff tickets had been sold Monday night at the Highland Park Sports Club meeting. Highland Park meets Marshall for the Class 4A, Division I football title Saturday at 2 p.m. at Tyler's Rose Stadium.

E-mails were sent to Highland Park ISD parents Monday and notices were posted on the school's Web site that tickets to the game would go on sale at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday. It was not announced at that time that tickets would be available at the Sports Club meeting.

Sports Club president Lynn Newman said about 4,700 tickets were sold Monday. Eight hundred tickets were set aside for students and were sold on a first-come, first-served basis after second-period classes Tuesday.

E-mail dsayles@dallasnews.com

District303aPastPlayer
12-07-2005, 12:52 PM
oh damn. . . id hate to be a school official there

kaorder1999
12-07-2005, 01:02 PM
i think its just awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

football4life
12-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Why were they alloted so few tickets? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

District303aPastPlayer
12-07-2005, 01:06 PM
small stadium

lostaussie
12-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i think its just awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! toooooooooo bad. it's about time the rich kids came to east texas to play.

Adidas410s
12-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
toooooooooo bad. it's about time the rich kids came to east texas to play.

that is just ignorant. For a 4A state championship game, a venue should be found that can accomodate the expected crowd. HP sold over 11,000 tickets for their game last week. Being a state championship game this game should be expected to draw a crowd that should easily be close to 20,000. Placing this game in a stadium that can hold roughly 75% of that estimate is just stupid on the part of the coaches for not picking the site that can best accomodate both schools...regardless of location. Consider that the school only had 800 tickets to sell to approx. 2000 students. That's right...not even half of the student body will able to attend their own school's state championship game! Screw East Texas coaches for pulling this crap and not agreeing to play in a venue in Waco or the Metroplex that could hold this game. For a state championship game, everybody knows that the distance doesn't matter. Fans will do whatever is necessary to make it to the game and we all know that. Oh well...if Marshall thinks playing in Tyler will give them any more of a chance to win than it would having played in a bigger venue than so be it. It's their loss that not as many people will be there to see it if they somehow pull off this upset!

Either way...HP is gonna knock the crap out of Marshall...i'll be nice and say they win by 14! :rolleyes:

kaorder1999
12-07-2005, 02:06 PM
HP wanted Texas Stadium and Marshall didnt so they flipped and Marshall won the toss which means they get to pick the stadium!

3afan
12-07-2005, 02:13 PM
but remember - the Marshall (& Lufkin) coaches played within the rules so its hard to fault them ........ and also remember, the schools (UIL = the schools) make the rules !!!!!

KTJ
12-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I understand the "they flipped and Marshall won" but it seems as if the East Texas coaches have a vendetta out against the D/FW schools. The other BBS's that I read seem to imply this as well.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it though. But seriously, for a 4A DI state championship game, you know that people are going to come out of the woodwork to see that game. Homer Bryce wasn't the most logical choice. Albeit, Marshall got their wish--to have Highland Park on their "home turf", which is East Texas in general.

HighSchool Fan
12-07-2005, 02:24 PM
east Texas schools always whine when it comes to DFW

zooleander
12-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by football4life
Why were they alloted so few tickets? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. tyler rose holds 12,000
each school received 5500 tickets
the stadium will see 1100 standing room only tickets the day of the game

i think its pretty irresponsible of the Marshall staff to pick a stadium so smal, for goodness sake, use a little common sense

eagle2
12-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Rose Stadium will seat 12,000 , but probably could fit another 3 or 4 thousand throughout the stadium. East Texas coaches have every right to flip for the site. Let the city boys come out to the country and see how we normal people live. Quite funny to see Highland Park crying in the Dallas Morning News . Get over it and come ready to play some fooball.

Tatum_Fan
12-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
east Texas schools always whine when it comes to DFW

Whatever...can't speak for all of East Texas, but it was TATUM that wanted to play in Texas Stadium against Dallas Madison
Be careful when making such generalized statements....it seems as though DFW is doing the whining now

raider red 2000
12-07-2005, 03:11 PM
I think that it is perfectly fair.

Coaches couln't decide on a neutral site.

Rumor is that HP didnt want a neutral site except for Texas Stadium. not very neutral.

so they flipped and HP lost.

seems fair to me. yes it sucks for the people that cant go to the game, but if they want tickets bad enough.....go to ebay...the tickets are there.

3afan
12-07-2005, 03:14 PM
FYI ..... in VA the championship sites are predetermined ... smallest 2 classes at Liberty U. (12,000) in Lynchburg, middle 2 classes at U. of Richmond (22,000) in Richmond, and largest 2 classes at James Madison U. (13,600) in Harrisonburg. all sites have noon & 7pm starts.

JMU Stadium
http://www.jmusports.com/Facilities/images/bridgeforth.jpg

Adidas410s
12-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
FYI ..... in VA the championship sites are predetermined ... smallest 2 classes at Liberty U. (12,000) in Lynchburg, middle 2 classes at U. of Richmond (22,000) in Richmond, and largest 2 classes at James Madison U. (13,600) in Harrisonburg. all sites have noon & 7pm starts.

JMU Stadium

so the middle 2 classes play at a bigger stadium than the largest 2??? hmm...:doh:

garageoffice
12-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

JMU Stadium

That's pretty easy to do when the whole state is only as large as a dozen Texas counties.

Every other sport in Texas has a pre-determined location for the state championship, though. Maybe when the playoffs reach the championship round, the UIL should publish an 'approved' list or something. I think it's a shame many of the fans can't be there, but for now that's the way it goes.

HighSchool Fan
12-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Tatum_Fan
Whatever...can't speak for all of East Texas, but it was TATUM that wanted to play in Texas Stadium against Dallas Madison
Be careful when making such generalized statements....it seems as though DFW is doing the whining now

whinning because some parent may not be able to see their child's last game. it's crazy, no, just plain stupid to have it in such a small stadium.

3afan
12-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by garageoffice
Maybe when the playoffs reach the championship round, the UIL should publish an 'approved' list or something.

not a bad idea ...... but no matter what someone will not be happy in most cases ---- its a tough problem to solve

3afan
12-07-2005, 03:36 PM
whinning because some parent may not be able to see their child's last game. it's crazy, no, just plain stupid to have it in such a small stadium.

yes thats really bad for some parents ...... but what is the answer? force them to play at A&M? Baylor? Tx Sta?

maybe so. i dont have a problem thinking that MIGHT work.

Tatum_Fan
12-07-2005, 03:39 PM

I was replying to your comment that East Texas folks did all the whining...We whine because ya'll want to play in your backyard, ya'll whine because there won't be enough seats - either way somebody is getting the short end of the stick. It's time to put on your big girl panties and get over it.

I'm sure that any HP parent that wants to get tickets will get them - as will the parents of Marshall

raider red 2000
12-07-2005, 04:06 PM

it does suck for the fans and the parents, but maybe next time their coach wont be so hard headed on finding a neutral site.

if he was, like has been stated.

Cat22
12-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
.....go to ebay...the tickets are there.

I went to ebay and they are selling for $100 a ticket. That is crazy. Wonder what the UIL thinks about this.

lostaussie
12-07-2005, 04:50 PM
marshall offered to play at kyle field or houston and were told no by highland park officials. kyle field because of grass and i don't know about houston. they lost the flip. too bad.

Rabbit'93
12-07-2005, 05:05 PM
I think some of you are missing the point. The complaint is not because of the location(east texas). The complaint is not being able to see the game because of the stadium size. Quit reading too much into this. You east texas folks would be upset had HP chosen to play the game somewhere the visitos side only held half the crowd you planned on bringing.

yoemanfan98
12-07-2005, 05:12 PM
If Marshall did offer to play the game at Kyle Field in College Station or Houston, Highland Park should have accepted. The HP coaches took a chance by flipping...lost the flip...the HP fans should be angry at the HP coaches. Under the current circumstances, alot of HP fans will miss getting to see this huge game due to the HP coaches' poor judgement.

zooleander
12-07-2005, 05:19 PM
ebay auction - currently at $103.50 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Texas-HS-State-Championship-Marshall-vs-Highland-Park_W0QQitemZ6586877855QQcategoryZ16122QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem)

ebay auction - currently at $100 (http://cgi.ebay.com/TX-HS-Championship-Marshall-VS-Highland-Park-Tyler_W0QQitemZ6586886070QQcategoryZ16122QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem)

ebay auction - currently at $62 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Texas-HS-State-Championship-Marshall-vs-Highland-Park_W0QQitemZ6586852194QQcategoryZ16122QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem)

3afan
12-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by yoemanfan98
If Marshall did offer to play the game at Kyle Field in College Station or Houston, Highland Park should have accepted. The HP coaches took a chance by flipping...lost the flip...the HP fans should be angry at the HP coaches. Under the current circumstances, alot of HP fans will miss getting to see this huge game due to the HP coaches' poor judgement.

very well put ... the key is "If Marshall did offer to play the game at Kyle Field in College Station or Houston"

Aesculus gilmus
12-07-2005, 05:23 PM
There's a banner headline on the Dallas News website saying the kickoff time has been changed to 3 p.m. and it will be televised in the Dallas area over KDFI Channel 27.

Adidas410s
12-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by zooleander
ebay auction - currently at $103.50 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Texas-HS-State-Championship-Marshall-vs-Highland-Park_W0QQitemZ6586877855QQcategoryZ16122QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem)

ebay auction - currently at $100 (http://cgi.ebay.com/TX-HS-Championship-Marshall-VS-Highland-Park-Tyler_W0QQitemZ6586886070QQcategoryZ16122QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem)

ebay auction - currently at $62 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Texas-HS-State-Championship-Marshall-vs-Highland-Park_W0QQitemZ6586852194QQcategoryZ16122QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem)

alll of those items have been removed now...

Adidas410s
12-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
alll of those items have been removed now...

I got this link to work though...

http://tickets.search.ebay.com/highland-park_Tickets_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfmcZ1QQfromZR40QQfsoo Z1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ1305

District303aPastPlayer
12-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Jesus Christ!!
$450 (http://cgi.ebay.com/TX-HS-Championship-Marshall-VS-Highland-Park-Tyler_W0QQitemZ6586886070QQcategoryZ16122QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem)

tiger mama
12-07-2005, 10:01 PM
go to ebay.com and then to search. type in "highland ticket"

Txbroadcaster
12-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Why is there no griping about Trinity vs Judson being in a 12,000 seat stadium?

44INAROW
12-07-2005, 10:28 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Texas-HS-State-Championship-Marshall-v-Highland-Park_W0QQitemZ6586940081QQcategoryZ16122QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$1200 OM GOSH

KTJ
12-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Why is there no griping about Trinity vs Judson being in a 12,000 seat stadium?

There is. It's just not on this website.

maroogreen
12-07-2005, 11:52 PM
To me, the biggest problem isn't the size of the stadium or where the stadium is. That is the risk every coach runs when he decides to flip instead of negotiating a neutral site. The biggest problem is the fact that the tickets were advertised to be sold at one time and then were sold preferentially the night before to the members of a specific organization. HPISD can do what they want with their tickets, but they need to be held responsible for the fallout. Now people are scalping tickets. Very nice. A ticket for a high school championship becomes as rare as a Super Bowl ticket.

shankbear
12-08-2005, 12:15 AM
the top bid by these dopes is 234.50 for 2 tix. get a freakin life

shankbear
12-08-2005, 12:22 AM
Just make a dash with daddy's cash. Don't spend your stash.

3afan
12-08-2005, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by maroogreen
To me, the biggest problem isn't the size of the stadium or where the stadium is. That is the risk every coach runs when he decides to flip instead of negotiating a neutral site. The biggest problem is the fact that the tickets were advertised to be sold at one time and then were sold preferentially the night before to the members of a specific organization. HPISD can do what they want with their tickets, but they need to be held responsible for the fallout. Now people are scalping tickets. Very nice. A ticket for a high school championship becomes as rare as a Super Bowl ticket.

obviously thats an internal to HP problem ...... so who cares :D

the subject of the stadium & capacity & too small & the process is much more interesting and entertaining