PDA

View Full Version : A few enrollment numbers...

handNthedirt
12-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Wylie 2246
Hebron 2168
Frisco 1679
Abilene Wylie 916
Brownsboro 845
Ranchview 722
Prosper 504
Celina 429
Van Alstyne 417
Pottsboro 407
Anna 383

3afan
12-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
Wylie 2246
Hebron 2168

Wylie looks to be goin' 5A, Hebron maybe .....

STANG RED
12-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Sweetwater - 573 (I think)

Pmoney
12-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
Wylie 2246
Abilene Wylie 916

I saw Wylie at 1st and i was like wow how is Abilene Wylie still in 3a lol...but i saw abilene wylie further down

Rabbit'93
12-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
I saw Wylie at 1st and i was like wow how is Abilene Wylie still in 3a lol...but i saw abilene wylie further down
I think we all wonder how ab. wylie is still in 3A!:p ;)

Sweetwater Red
12-07-2005, 12:03 PM
Just take what ever the 4A cut-off number
is and subtract one. That will be AWylie's
enrollment.

3afan
12-07-2005, 12:07 PM
a little bitterness perhaps?

STANG RED
12-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
enrollment.
This is sooooooo wrong. But it is very funny!!!

Adidas410s
12-07-2005, 12:33 PM
enrollment.

for the ONE time that they ended up 1 under the number...What about the last two reallignments when they weren't even one of the top 10 biggest schools in 3A...hmm :doh:

Just don't be jealous cuz people actually WANT to move to Wylie as opposed to Sweetwater and Snyder...where the enrollment number keeps going DOWN!!! :thinking: :p

injuredinmelee
12-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
for the ONE time that they ended up 1 under the number...What about the last two reallignments when they weren't even one of the top 10 biggest schools in 3A...hmm :doh:

Just don't be jealous cuz people actually WANT to move to Wylie as opposed to Sweetwater and Snyder...where the enrollment number keeps going DOWN!!! :thinking: :p

I love you forrest. :cheerl:

District303aPastPlayer
12-07-2005, 12:42 PM
ab. wylie vs sweetwater vs snyder thread part 309432059062

okay... GO!!

STANG RED
12-07-2005, 12:43 PM

Easy there 410. Wylie has absolutely 0 industry. It is just attached to Abilene, and gets everybody that is moving out of Abilene. Sweetwater and Snyder have to rely on industry. Dont try comparing apples to oranges now.
I know you are smarter than that!

Sweetwater Red
12-07-2005, 12:45 PM

Don't wanna move to Sweetwater? Didn't
you hear? We got us a brand spanking
new Wal-Mart!!! YEE HAW!!! Oh! wait
here comes Curly, I gotta go...

kaorder1999
12-07-2005, 12:49 PM
enrollment.

that is the same way you get the 4A to 5A cutoff....take Highland Park's Enrollment and add one and then you get the cutoff number

football4life
12-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Not sure what Canyon's enrollment is, it's up there though. The rumor is that we should make it through two more realignments and then we will bump up. They just passed new boundary lines that will move large amounts of kids from Canyon-Randall into the Canyon school. But they aren't doing it with the older kids, just the younger ones to start.

jmcgee
12-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Sweetwater - 573 (I think) Are you sure about that. If you are our numbers are dropping fast. By this rate we will be 2a the next reallignment.

kaorder1999
12-07-2005, 01:02 PM
is that yalls stadium in Sweetwater? wow

jmcgee
12-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
is that yalls stadium in Sweetwater? wow Yep.

GreenMonster
12-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Iowa Park is at 613, talked to the Asst Supt just last week.

Black_Magic
12-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by jmcgee
Are you sure about that. If you are our numbers are dropping fast. By this rate we will be 2a the next reallignment. I hear Sweetwater has an enrolment of 650 or so right about now.

jmcgee
12-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
I hear Sweetwater has an enrolment of 650 or so right about now. Ok that sounds about right.

Black_Magic
12-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Easy there 410. Wylie has absolutely 0 industry. It is just attached to Abilene, and gets everybody that is moving out of Abilene. Sweetwater and Snyder have to rely on industry. Dont try comparing apples to oranges now.
I know you are smarter than that! I believe that would be a district that VAMPIRES off if a City next to it. At least Snyder and Sweetwater are Cities and not Suburbs. We have unique Identities. Wylie, Cooper, Ab High all the same except some have harder time fudging the #s than others apparently:rolleyes:

Black_Magic
12-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Ok that sounds about right. Snyder Turned in 670 or so I believe

STANG RED
12-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Are you sure about that. If you are our numbers are dropping fast. By this rate we will be 2a the next reallignment.
Yes, I am pretty sure that 573 is fairly accurate. I cant tell you where I got that from, but it is a very reliable source.

VWG
12-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by football4life
Not sure what Canyon's enrollment is, it's up there though. The rumor is that we should make it through two more realignments and then we will bump up. They just passed new boundary lines that will move large amounts of kids from Canyon-Randall into the Canyon school. But they aren't doing it with the older kids, just the younger ones to start.

My question on this is... Why?
What about Bushland? Is that taking some of the Amarillo High students away since some of the growth is out west of I-40?

Phantom Stang
12-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Yes, I am pretty sure that 573 is fairly accurate. I cant tell you where I got that from, but it is a very reliable source.
Does that include Alternative Ed?

STANG RED
12-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
That, I am not real sure of, but yes, I think it does.

Sweetwater Red
12-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Is that the mis-guided kids or the challenged?

mustang04
12-07-2005, 06:58 PM
actually jmcgee...i think stang red is right on this one....sweetwater has lost alot of students

S-WtrMustangFan
12-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Does that include Alternative Ed? Yea we all get on the short bus it picks us up next to the new Wal Mart. lol

Phantom Stang
12-07-2005, 07:15 PM
That, I am not real sure of, but yes, I think it does.
Man if it does, then that's a heckuva drop.

football4life
12-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by VWG
My question on this is... Why?
What about Bushland? Is that taking some of the Amarillo High students away since some of the growth is out west of I-40?

I'm no expert on what's going on, but I don't think the lines have moved up that far. This change was simply to slow the rapidly growing number of students at Randall and kinda balance it out here at Canyon. It's a big issue right now, so nobody's sure how its gonna work out. But Canyon will definitely move up to 4A by the end of 4 year's time.

garciap77
12-07-2005, 07:46 PM
According to today's paper. There are 150 students from the Wylie ISD attending Abilene ISD. AISD stopped charging tution a few years ago, so many of the families that have moved from the AISD to Wylie's district have decided to keep thier children in the AISD for many different reasons. If you add those 150 students that put is in 4A. I see more and more subdivision going up, but with AIDS not charging tution who knows what those families will decide.

Adidas410s
12-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
I believe that would be a district that VAMPIRES off if a City next to it. At least Snyder and Sweetwater are Cities and not Suburbs. We have unique Identities. Wylie, Cooper, Ab High all the same except some have harder time fudging the #s than others apparently:rolleyes:

Again...get some facts before opening mouth. Abilene's numbers are going down...the only schools going up are Wylie and Jim Ned. Consider the following points...if you are capable of it...

- Wylie is the #1 ranked school in terms of academic achievement in 3A. I am basing this off of a study done on TAKS numbers across all districts k-12. I can pull it up for you if you want.

- Wylie is a community that is VERY supportive of all things in the school district, whether it be football, band, golf, academic teams, etc. The level of success aside, what parent would NOT want to put their kids in a school district that offers a system that will allow their kids to reach their full potential (academic, athletic, or otherwise) if they choose to do so?

Now I do realize this may require you to use a little bit of common sense to put the pieces together...but you have shown the ability to do so once or twice a year in your posts so let's go for the trifecta on this one! :thumbsup:

mwynn05
12-07-2005, 07:53 PM
enrollment. nah thats hp and the 4a cut off

garciap77
12-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Adidas410s did you read todays paper? A lady was saying the reason she lets her daugthers go to AISD is so they can me in a more realistic world....where kids have to work to buy thier cars...
others said they have ROTC and many other programs Wylie did not have and to yop things off one said they did not see difference in the education they were getting. Your are right about Wylie scores. My son attends wylie and we get the score results every year and they are always in the higher than most school dists.

Adidas410s
12-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Adidas410s did you read todays paper? A lady was saying the reason she lets her daugthers go to AISD is so they can me in a more realistic world....where kids have to work to buy thier cars...
others said they have ROTC and many other programs Wylie did not have and to yop things off one said they did not see difference in the education they were getting. Your are right about Wylie scores. My son attends wylie and we get the score results every year and they are always in the higher than most school dists.

Having spent 1st through 8th in Abilene schools...there is a BIG difference in the level of education that I received in Wylie. Yes there is ROTC available in AISD along with more foreign language classes...but that would be the only different "offerings" between the two. As a way to "boost" their grades...the typical AISD student is an "honors" student and they get 5pts on their 6-weeks grade and the "AP" students get 10 points. A "regular" class in AISD is typically set aside for students with learning disabilities and/or remedial students that failed the "honors" course the year before. So in essence, they are LOSING points on their GPA for not being at least an "average" student."

In Wylie there is only "honors/pre-AP/AP" as one program and you get the extra 10 points for the harder class. A typical student is not given 5pts for showing up to class.

I will have to read that when I get home. That is funny about the car cuz my first car was definitely a 1985 Volvo that my dad bought for me for $800...and I paid $200 of it. I wasn't even given a car...I worked at least 1 job at all times during HS and was never given anything. Did my dad have a "good job" that paid more than most people? Yes...but did that mean that I, or most of the kids in Wylie, was spoiled by any means??? No...

garciap77
12-07-2005, 08:27 PM
I really do not understand either, because I know for a fact that not all Wylie kids had cars. I bought one for my daughter, but she also worked from the time she was 15 until she graduated. Now she is attending college at Angelo State, but when she comes home she for the winter and summer breaks she continues to work and she had now problem adjusting to the real world.

STANG RED
12-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Again...get some facts before opening mouth. Abilene's numbers are going down...the only schools going up are Wylie and Jim Ned. Consider the following points...if you are capable of it...

- Wylie is the #1 ranked school in terms of academic achievement in 3A. I am basing this off of a study done on TAKS numbers across all districts k-12. I can pull it up for you if you want.

- Wylie is a community that is VERY supportive of all things in the school district, whether it be football, band, golf, academic teams, etc. The level of success aside, what parent would NOT want to put their kids in a school district that offers a system that will allow their kids to reach their full potential (academic, athletic, or otherwise) if they choose to do so?

Now I do realize this may require you to use a little bit of common sense to put the pieces together...but you have shown the ability to do so once or twice a year in your posts so let's go for the trifecta on this one! :thumbsup:

I agree, that Wylie is one helluva good school district, and they certainly have the scores to prove it. But then again, why wouldnt they? Pretty much only the socioeconomic elite get to attend school out there. Wylie ISD doesnt have to face what 99% of the other ISDs in the state have to every day. How many single parent kids go to Wylie? How many economically dissadvantaged kids go to Wylie? How many free lunches does the Wylie ISD have to serve? Wylie is a self made community of elites, and they are reeping the benifits of it. Dont get me wrong, if I lived in Abilene, I would have certainly put my kid through Wylie. But, the truth is, Wylie is on its own little Island out there. It is not the real world, like most kids live in everyday.
Again, I am not at all knocking Wylie, for what they are and/or for what they have. No doubt, Wylie ISD, is a great school system. But lets make sure we see things for what they are.
That being said. I hope Wylie does not go to 4A next year. I love this district, and would hate to see it broken up. Sweetwater and Wylie have developed a very good rivalry over the past few years, and I for one, would love to see it continue. One of my favorite parts of the football season the last few years has been our off week, so I could go watch the Snyder / Wylie game. That has also developed into a great rivalry as well.

Adidas410s
12-07-2005, 08:44 PM
I agree, that Wylie is one helluva good school district, and they certainly have the scores to prove it. But then again, why wouldnt they? Pretty much only the socioeconomic elite get to attend school out there. Wylie ISD doesnt have to face what 99% of the other ISDs in the state have to every day. How many single parent kids go to Wylie? How many economically dissadvantaged kids go to Wylie? How many free lunches does the Wylie ISD have to serve? Wylie is a self made community of elites, and they are reeping the benifits of it. Dont get me wrong, if I lived in Abilene, I would have certainly put my kid through Wylie. But, the truth is, Wylie is on its own little Island out there. It is not the real world, like most kids live in everyday.
Again, I am not at all knocking Wylie, for what they are and/or for what they have. No doubt, Wylie ISD, is a great school system. But lets make sure we see things for what they are.
That being said. I hope Wylie does not go to 4A next year. I love this district, and would hate to see it broken up. Sweetwater and Wylie have developed a very good rivalry over the past few years, and I for one, would love to see it continue. One of my favorite parts of the football season the last few years has been our off week, so I could go watch the Snyder / Wylie game. That has also developed into a great rivalry as well.

Where do you get at using the term elite? Are you trying to say that Wylie is an affluent district? To make that claim...you would have to be highly mistaken. Half of Wylie is made up of farming communities. Simply because there is a lower # of lower income families does not make it a rich district. It simply means that there aren't as many lower income families in the district. Heck...take Graham for example...I can name 5 families in Graham that have more money than the entire community of Wylie. I'm not kidding either. Wylie does have some afflluent familes but what the district is made up of roughly 90% of "middle income" families. Feel free to come over to the district and start asking people if they feel that they are "elite." An "elite" district would be a HP, Southlake, Alamo Hieghts, Austin Westlake, Houston Memorial...but I would NOT lump Abilene Wylie in with them and one would have to be ignorant to reality to do so.

You keep using phrases to describe Wylie...but please define them so that we are both clear what you are trying to say.

elite - ???

self-made community - are you aware that Wylie started out as a farming community and only in the last 15-20 years did people from "the city" grow into Wylie??? Heck, the house in Wylie that I lived in was built in the 1930's and all of my neighbors have at least 2 acres with horses, cattle, etc but now we are essentially "in the middle of Abilene." Wylie has evolved into the city...but it's not the "gated community" that many people make it out to be

not in the real world - what isn't real world about it? Having spent 13 years in ABI schools, 1 year in Corpus schools, and 5 years in Wylie schools...the biggest differences that I have seen are in the level of academics being tought at the school. Yes there are obviously some economic differences but they were by no means overbearing in such a way that they effect life THAT much.

I'm tired of typing for now so I'm not going to but please feel free to answer these questions. I am trying to figure out what misconceptions people have about where I grew up. Thanks...

STANG RED
12-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Where do you get at using the term elite? Are you trying to say that Wylie is an affluent district? To make that claim...you would have to be highly mistaken. Half of Wylie is made up of farming communities. Simply because there is a lower # of lower income families does not make it a rich district. It simply means that there aren't as many lower income families in the district. Heck...take Graham for example...I can name 5 families in Graham that have more money than the entire community of Wylie. I'm not kidding either. Wylie does have some afflluent familes but what the district is made up of roughly 90% of "middle income" families. Feel free to come over to the district and start asking people if they feel that they are "elite." An "elite" district would be a HP, Southlake, Alamo Hieghts, Austin Westlake, Houston Memorial...but I would NOT lump Abilene Wylie in with them and one would have to be ignorant to reality to do so.

You keep using phrases to describe Wylie...but please define them so that we are both clear what you are trying to say.

elite - ???

self-made community - are you aware that Wylie started out as a farming community and only in the last 15-20 years did people from "the city" grow into Wylie??? Heck, the house in Wylie that I lived in was built in the 1930's and all of my neighbors have at least 2 acres with horses, cattle, etc but now we are essentially "in the middle of Abilene." Wylie has evolved into the city...but it's not the "gated community" that many people make it out to be

not in the real world - what isn't real world about it? Having spent 13 years in ABI schools, 1 year in Corpus schools, and 5 years in Wylie schools...the biggest differences that I have seen are in the level of academics being tought at the school. Yes there are obviously some economic differences but they were by no means overbearing in such a way that they effect life THAT much.

I'm tired of typing for now so I'm not going to but please feel free to answer these questions. I am trying to figure out what misconceptions people have about where I grew up. Thanks...
Nevermind. Your obviously too emotional about it, to read what I said for what it was.

Roll'em up
12-07-2005, 09:09 PM
"Simply because there is a lower # of lower income families does not make it a rich district. It simply means that there aren't as many lower income families in the district."

I think you made thier point with not having many at risk kids to lower your TAKS scores...

"Where do you get at using the term elite? Are you trying to say that Wylie is an affluent district?"
"self-made community - are you aware that Wylie started out as a farming community and only in the last 15-20 years did people from "the city" grow into Wylie??? Heck, the house in Wylie that I lived in was built in the 1930's and all of my neighbors have at least 2 acres with horses, cattle, etc but now we are essentially "in the middle of Abilene." Wylie has evolved into the city...but it's not the "gated community" that many people make it out to be

Was the land that all of the farmers and ranchers owned bought for pennies on the dollar or what? Evolving into a city takes money and purchase of land. Usually that land is sold for an inflated price, especially in the case of selling farm and ranch land for city growth.

Adidas410s
12-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Nevermind. Your obviously too emotional about it, to read what I said for what it was.
huh??? I didn't express any emotion whatsoever. I love people misconstrue trying to have an informed, intelligent discussion about a topic as being "emotional" about it. Why must one use that as a cop out as opposed to answering the questions? I just want to have a discussion.

Unlike many on here, I have no "current" loyalty to Wylie other than that I went to HS there. I followed the teams the last 2 years because it was comprised of a lot of kids I have known since they were little as they had grown up with my younger brothers. In all honesty, I can assure you that the frequency with which I attend and follow HS football will drop significantly in the next 12 months. There...I guess that is my "emotion" on display for you. However, my desire to follow a team because I know players on it has nothing to do with a discussion of a community and it's economic and social makeups. I got a degree in Economics because this something that I enjoy learning about and discussing. We could discuss the makeup of any town that I have at least a working knowledge of it and I will talk about it with you...if nothing else than to further my knowledge of that particular community. In this case, others just happened to bring up a community that I have a wealth of relevant information on in regards to the topic at hand.

So don't be afraid...dive right in and let's talk about it on a normal level as opposed to one where you might fear "stepping" on my toes. My family now lives in Graham and I don't really know many people in Wylie so it doesn't offend me in the least with any comments you may have to offer.

Adidas410s
12-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Roll'em up
"Simply because there is a lower # of lower income families does not make it a rich district. It simply means that there aren't as many lower income families in the district."

I think you made thier point with not having many at risk kids to lower your TAKS scores...

"Where do you get at using the term elite? Are you trying to say that Wylie is an affluent district?"
"self-made community - are you aware that Wylie started out as a farming community and only in the last 15-20 years did people from "the city" grow into Wylie??? Heck, the house in Wylie that I lived in was built in the 1930's and all of my neighbors have at least 2 acres with horses, cattle, etc but now we are essentially "in the middle of Abilene." Wylie has evolved into the city...but it's not the "gated community" that many people make it out to be

Was the land that all of the farmers and ranchers owned bought for pennies on the dollar or what? Evolving into a city takes money and purchase of land. Usually that land is sold for an inflated price, especially in the case of selling farm and ranch land for city growth.

the farms are STILL there. They haven't gone anywhere. Wylie didn't evolve into anything. The city of Abilene grew out to Wylie. As somebody else pointed out, Wylie has very little commercial and essentially no industrial (unless you include farm/ranch land though that is actually agrarian) division to it.

VWG
12-07-2005, 09:30 PM

elite - ???

A guy in San Angelo who I know through a business venture told me about a year ago that... and I quote "If you took the three banks in Graham and totalled up all their monies together that they had, you would be extremely surprised at the amount of money that little town has". He was knowing of this because he used to work with a banker in Graham in the late 80's and early 90's. I wouldn't think that has changed much, as Graham has had some very wealthy families due to highway construction company, bleacher company, and oil and gas.

big daddy russ
12-07-2005, 10:38 PM
How long was Wylie in 4A? Six years, maybe?

Adidas410s
12-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
How long was Wylie in 4A? Six years, maybe?

Wylie was never 4A. Graham was for 4 or 6 years back in the 90's

big daddy russ
12-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Wylie was never 4A. Graham was for 4 or 6 years back in the 90's
Wylie is 4A right now.

big daddy russ
12-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
...but with AIDS not charging tution who knows what those families will decide.
Yeah, AIDS stopped charging when the 'ol Chicken Ranch shut down. It's free these days.

Adidas410s
12-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Wylie is 4A right now.

Wylie just east of Garland is...

big daddy russ
12-07-2005, 11:56 PM
Wylie just east of Garland is...
Exactly. Wylie was a hoss on the state level back when I was in HS, and I've only been out for about seven years.

RMAC
12-08-2005, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by VWG
A guy in San Angelo who I know through a business venture told me about a year ago that... and I quote "If you took the three banks in Graham and totalled up all their monies together that they had, you would be extremely surprised at the amount of money that little town has". He was knowing of this because he used to work with a banker in Graham in the late 80's and early 90's. I wouldn't think that has changed much, as Graham has had some very wealthy families due to highway construction company, bleacher company, and oil and gas.

Yeah, we're freakin' RICH!!! I met one of those 5 people the other day when I was at lunch. He offered me a job paying $75K a year with a 4,000 sq. ft. house and an '06 Escalade but I had to turn him down. I like my '95 Dodge a lot better. JK. But I did meet the guy. Ask Adidas, if you came here you really couldn't tell that it's like that, especially if you looked at our H.S. My friend's GRANDFATHER, his GRANDFATHER walked the same halls I walk everyday. I don't think they've put in new lockers since the freakin' Carter Administration.

Mustangpride09
12-08-2005, 01:07 AM
Are you sure about that. If you are our numbers are dropping fast. By this rate we will be 2a the next reallignment.

our senior class has under 90 students now. The 8th grade class coming up is pretty big. We should be alright.

NateDawg39
12-08-2005, 01:44 AM
Decatur turned in 871 or so. 2 more years and we should be in 4A.

LewP
12-08-2005, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by RMAC
Yeah, we're freakin' RICH!!! I met one of those 5 people the other day when I was at lunch. He offered me a job paying $75K a year with a 4,000 sq. ft. house and an '06 Escalade but I had to turn him down. I like my '95 Dodge a lot better. JK. But I did meet the guy. Ask Adidas, if you came here you really couldn't tell that it's like that, especially if you looked at our H.S. My friend's GRANDFATHER, his GRANDFATHER walked the same halls I walk everyday. I don't think they've put in new lockers since the freakin' Carter Administration.

Does Bob Lilly still live in Graham?

LewP
12-08-2005, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Decatur turned in 871 or so. 2 more years and we should be in 4A.

I swear, every road in America goes through Decatur....good town, Eighter from Decatur...

RMAC
12-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by LewP
Does Bob Lilly still live in Graham?

I'm not sure if he does anymore or not. But one of the Wall Grandkids (grand kids of the guy who started Wal-Mart) moved into the biggest house in our town a few months ago.

wos fan1
12-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Does anybody know how many Wimberely turned in??? Last enrollment they turned in 632.

etbu
12-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
I'm not sure if he does anymore or not. But one of the Wall Grandkids (grand kids of the guy who started Wal-Mart) moved into the biggest house in our town a few months ago.

Thats ok we have George Formean and Patrick Swasey coming. :D