PDA

View Full Version : Story out of Colorado

District303aPastPlayer
12-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Gary Barnett is DONE!

injuredinmelee
12-07-2005, 10:45 AM
the guy is a moron for the way he handled everything at that university. They ought to fire him jsut for the unpreparedness his team showed in Houston saturday.

KTJ
12-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
the guy is a moron for the way he handled everything at that university. They ought to fire him jsut for the unpreparedness his team showed in Houston saturday.

The new President at CU had been after him for a while now.

This isn't surprising, except that he was always really supportive of UT (even though he showed some bitterness in years past because he really wanted the UT job, but we hired Mack) and has voted us #1 all year long.

Pmoney
12-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Wonder who will be the next coach at CU?

injuredinmelee
12-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Gary Barnett's tumultuous tenure as the University of Colorado's football coach reportedly will come to an end. However, the coach told ESPN.com that his reported ouster from the school is news to him.

AP Photo/David J. Phillip
Gary Barnett's Buffs were outscored 130-22 in their last three games.
Citing a source close to contract talks between Barnett and the school, the Denver Post reported on Wednesday that Barnett will not be retained as head coach.

The newspaper reported that there is no timetable for an announcement, but athletic director Mike Bohn was expected to talk to Barnett soon.

However, Barnett told ESPN.com's Pat Forde: "No one has said a word to me. I have not heard from one person that that is going to happen. ... Nobody has presented anything to me. I am continuing as if I'm the head coach at Colorado."

Bohn, traveling back to Colorado from meetings in New York, called the report "speculation."

"I don't know about that," Bohn told The Associated Press when asked if the report was true. "It's inappropriate for me to comment at this time."

Barnett told ESPN.com he has not talked with Bohn since Sunday. The two are expected to meet Wednesday night. They had been discussing a contract extension for several weeks, and it was believed to be a foregone conclusion before the season turned south.

CU finished on a three-game losing streak, including losses to Nebraska and Texas by the combined score of 100-6.

"The coaches have worked hard and the players have been great. The kids just ran out of juice. My whole extension has been a big issue. I think they felt some pressure surrounding that," Barnett told ESPN.com

Despite a torrent of negative publicity, a suspension from the school and widespread speculation that he would be fired 18 months ago after a controversy erupted surrounding Colorado's recruiting practices, Barnett has taken Colorado to consecutive Big 12 North Division titles.

The president, chancellor and athletic director all stepped down in the aftermath of the scandal, which resulted in an investigation that concluded drugs, alcohol and sex were used to entice recruits to the Boulder campus, though none of practices were sanctioned by university officials.

"Personally, I'm fine. I hold my head very, very high. Through all the crap we've gone through, we've won two division championships. The kids have gotten those championship rings, and they can't take those away."

After Saturday's 70-3 loss to Texas in the Big 12 title game, Bohn told the Boulder Daily Camera, "We all have to look at everything and see what it's going to take to get things going in the right direction. That's what's on everyone's mind right now."

Barnett's take on the loss to Texas: "A lot of people have lost pretty bad to Texas this year."

Barnett has one year left on the five-year deal, which includes a $2 million bonus if he completes the contract. While saying he likes Barnett, Bohn has remained noncommittal about an extension. One of the presumed reasons for the delay is that the school is still waiting for the results of a state audit of Barnett's football camps, which is scheduled to be released Monday.

CU is cash-strapped and it is believed that if he re-signs, the bonus will be folded into the next deal. If CU fires Barnett, he would be owed $1.6 million of the bonus, plus a year of his annual base salary.

Barnett is 49-38 after seven seasons.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

kaorder1999
12-07-2005, 12:43 PM
gotta hate being fired around christmas time!