PDA

View Full Version : Have you noticed...?

MHSvarsity2007
12-06-2005, 01:11 AM
Have you noticed that Sweetwater is the only team left in the play-offs from District 4-3A and they are rarely recognized on TV or in the newspaper? If Wylie was still in the play-offs, that's all that you would ever hear about. I'm not dogging Wylie, they deserve all the media they get, but it makes sense to talk about Sweetwater a little more. You rarely hear anything on the news or on the sports page...I was just curious if I was the only one that has noticed that...

hutex04
12-06-2005, 01:27 AM
its ok, no one cares about Hutto eaither. Maybe us and Sweetwater can meet in a terrific state championship game. And get people talking about us for years

LewP
12-06-2005, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007
Have you noticed that Sweetwater is the only team left in the play-offs from District 4-3A and they are rarely recognized on TV or in the newspaper? If Wylie was still in the play-offs, that's all that you would ever hear about. I'm not dogging Wylie, they deserve all the media they get, but it makes sense to talk about Sweetwater a little more. You rarely hear anything on the news or on the sports page...I was just curious if I was the only one that has noticed that...

Actually MHS...you bring up a very good point.
Since I am a Mustang fan and i write a blog for the Abilene paper, I notice things like that. But in all fairness, it isn't a slam to Sweetwater. Abilene has the TV Station(s). Abilene has a larger newspaper...Heck, Abilene is just bigger and has 4 high schools. It's natural that Abilene gets more media attention. But...Sweetwater has sort of adapted as well. Let me explain how and why.

The folks in Sweetwater (at least from my perspective) really don't mind if Wylie gets the pub. We don't mind if Wylie is the Div 1 representative either. Now i don't mean to be derogortory to Wylie...but we were the #1 seed in Div 2...so the pavement was smoother I think than Snyder's or Wylie's path in the playoffs. Noticed I said smoother, not any easier. If you go back and look, Snyder had Monahans right off the bat...we got to focus on Monahans a little longer and even got to see them in person at Mustang Bowl also. That was a distinct advantage in my opinion.

After it's all said and done...Sweetwater doesn't mind if Wylie gets the pub....we just figure we have to see Wylie once a year..and then we help them pack their suitcases and we don't have to see them again. It's a fair trade-off I think.

injuredinmelee
12-06-2005, 07:41 AM
did you ever notice that they harldy ever have anything on merkel? ITS BECAUSE THEY ALWAYS LOSE!!!

District303aPastPlayer
12-06-2005, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
did you ever notice that they harldy ever have anything on merkel? ITS BECAUSE THEY ALWAYS LOSE!!!

:D

injuredinmelee
12-06-2005, 07:45 AM
and by the way its Abilene High that was the media darling in Abilene this year. Cooper was the one that got left out in the cold most of the time. Wylie is int he Abilene City limits where they sell 50,000 papers a day. Swetwater has 6,000 in the town and they sell about 2000 papers. You tell me why Wylie gets more coverage when they are playing. Also of the 50,000 in Abilene that buy the paper only about 7,000 or so are Wylie fans. Sweetwater is our rival but out of those 7,000 only about 1/4 of those are true fans that root for district rivals in the playoffs.

ALSO...

there is alot more advertising money being spent by people in abilene and with wylie ties than there is advertising money being spent from sweetwater in the ARN.

MHSvarsity2007
12-06-2005, 05:31 PM
um yea you can calm down. i was just saying my opinion. why are you constantly talking about how sucky merkel is? we are well aware that we suck and dont ever get publicity, just freakin drop it. it's getting old.

Sweetwater Red
12-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Well, to be honest. KRBC did re-broadcast our Quarter-final game.
It was late Sunday night. There are only two teams still playing
football in the Big Country. Throckmorton plays for the 6-man
trophy @ Shotwell, Saturday 6:00 pm. Then you have
Sweetwater's game. No word yet if KRBC is gonna televise it.
But, it should get alot of attention in the Abilene media.

Adidas410s
12-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Well, to be honest. KRBC did re-broadcast our Quarter-final game.
It was late Sunday night. There are only two teams still playing
football in the Big Country. Throckmorton plays for the 6-man
trophy @ Shotwell, Saturday 6:00 pm. Then you have
Sweetwater's game. No word yet if KRBC is gonna televise it.
But, it should get alot of attention in the Abilene media.

yeah I ran across the 4th quarter of that when I was going to sleep. I really wish that somebody had gone and televised the Wylie/Gainesville game. I still want to try and a tape of that game to watch. KTAB has always televised any semi and finals games that Wylie has but never a quarterfinal game...oh well! I sent all 3 stations an e-mail with my request...getting the sponsors wouldn't have been a problem...guess that's life!

I Bleed Red08
12-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Have you noticed that Sweetwater is the only team left in the play-offs from District 4-3A and they are rarely recognized on TV or in the newspaper? If Wylie was still in the play-offs, that's all that you would ever hear about. I'm not dogging Wylie, they deserve all the media they get, but it makes sense to talk about Sweetwater a little more. You rarely hear anything on the news or on the sports page...I was just curious if I was the only one that has noticed that... i was just watching on tv KRBC a local channel based in abilene was talking to Sweetwater's head coach about last weeks game and how we are gonna get by this week

Sweetwater Red
12-06-2005, 07:39 PM
I just looked at KRBC's web-site to see if they had anything on
televising this one. Nothing.

Gobbla2001
12-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Well I'm guessing you're watching the Abilene news...

In Abilene they have Abilene High, Abilene Cooper and Abilene Wylie (the ones I know of anyway)... pretty sure their blood's gunna run those three colors... but I agree it'd be nice of them to show Sweetwater...

As for Hutto, today's online edition of the Austin American Statesman, they had pictures of Hutto on their website... not bad...

Cuero gets coverage in the Victoria news, but most of the time it's because we're the only team left in the playoffs and we are not competing with their schools etc... plus our HC was Victoria High's HC in the 90's when they were actually winning, they kind of 'miss' the guy if you know what I mean...

whtfbplaya
12-06-2005, 08:33 PM
No

its_n_ D_water
12-06-2005, 11:19 PM
I've noticed that also, but now that all Abilene teams are out....Sweetwater is getting alittle more attention.....Kinda like"There is no one else playing so lets cover Sweetwater"dur.....:nerd:

District303aPastPlayer
12-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by its_n_ D_water
I've noticed that also, but now that all Abilene teams are out....Sweetwater is getting alittle more attention.....Kinda like"There is no one else playing so lets cover Sweetwater"dur.....:nerd:

welcome to south texas and the calallen syndrome