PDA

View Full Version : Cotton Bowl Renovation

3afan
12-05-2005, 09:42 PM
LINK TO STORY (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/120605dnmetcottonbowl.4358e286.html)

LINK TO FULL REPORT - THIS IS GOOD (PDF) (http://www.dallascityhall.com/dallas/eng/council_briefings/briefings/120505_CottonBowl.pdf)

Cotton Bowl stadium proposal unveiled

04:36 PM CST on Monday, December 5, 2005
By DAVE LEVINTHAL / The Dallas Morning News

Dallas' Cotton Bowl stadium would expand by more than 16,000 seats and realize a bevy of structural improvements under a renovation proposal municipal government staff plans to present to the City Council later today.

The nearly $50 million project would increase the 75-year-old facility's capacity to 92,107 seats and call for the construction of new premium seating areas, restrooms, concession stands, a scoreboard and video board and sound system, according to the 34-page proposal document.

A sale of stadium naming rights would fund most or all the first of two project phases. That initial phase is estimated to cost $19 million and be completed by late next year, according to the proposal.

The second phase would be funded through a city bond program and include the creation of new media and VIP facilities. The city would also replace Cotton Bowl's current seats, add new lighting and upgrade utilities.

An expanded upper deck wrapping around the Cotton Bowl's end zones would constitute the additional seating, the proposal indicates.

The Cotton Bowl, which the city owns, plays host to three annual college football games -- Texas-Oklahoma, Prairie View-Grambling and the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic -- as well as other sporting and entertainment events, including soccer matches and concerts. The stadium is located in Fair Park, immediately southeast of downtown.
But unless Dallas receives long-term commitments from college football teams that play annually at the stadium, "then we won't upgrade the Cotton Bowl," Mayor Laura Miller said.

Negotiations among Dallas, Texas and OU are, however, "going very well ... I'm very optimistic," Ms. Miller said. To this end, the mayor said she expects an announcement in January.

"We won't lose it. We're not going to lose it," Ms. Miller said of the Texas-Oklahoma game, played annually during the Texas State Fair.

Officials at both UT and OU have pressured the city to make improvements, and have threatened to switch the decades-old rivalry to a home-and-home series if changes are not made.

Ms. Miller previously said she hopes the city's efforts would compel Texas and Oklahoma to make a 10-year commitment to Dallas. Each time rumors have surfaced about the game moving to a home-and-home series, the city has offered financial perks and minor modifications to the Cotton Bowl, and the schools have agreed to short-term contracts.

Texas and Oklahoma are committed to play in Dallas through at least 2007. So far, the schools' athletic directors have shown little interest in long-term contracts.

Dallas Morning News reporter Colleen McCain Nelson contributed to this report.

E-mail dlevinthal@dallasnews.com

3afan
12-06-2005, 05:45 AM
anyone take a look at the proposal? IMO its pretty interesting stuff. i remember when to Cotton Bowl hosted some playoffs games now and then ...

JasperDog94
12-06-2005, 09:45 AM
I hope this would allow Texas/OU to remain there. That's a great tradition.

KTJ
12-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I hope this would allow Texas/OU to remain there. That's a great tradition.

From the quotes that DeLoss and Joe Castiglione (the OU AD) have given, I think this proposal is too late.

Both of those AD's want a home/home so bad for Texas/OU and I think it's going to happen. And that's extra sad.

STANG RED
12-06-2005, 09:50 AM
I've been wondering why this hasnt happened for 25 years!
If it is well marketed, it should succeed.

PPHSfan
12-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
anyone take a look at the proposal? IMO its pretty interesting stuff. i remember when to Cotton Bowl hosted some playoffs games now and then ...

Sinton66 remembers when the Cowboys played their home games there.:D

STANG RED
12-06-2005, 10:17 AM
I just read the entire report. The estimated economical impact from just one Texas/OU game is over $30 m. And the expanded seating capacity should increase that considerably.
Is'nt this a no brainer?

Also. Wondering why a partnership with the Cowboys has never been reached? Wouldnt this benifit both the Cowboys and the city if they partnered up, instead of each going their own way, as has always been the case.

AggieJohn
12-06-2005, 10:20 AM
apparently it might bring texas A&M and tech there too

JasperDog94
12-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
The second phase would be funded through a city bond program and include the creation of new media and VIP facilities. The city would also replace Cotton Bowl's current seats, add new lighting and upgrade utilities.

Originally posted by STANG RED
I just read the entire report. The estimated economical impact from just one Texas/OU game is over $30 m. And the expanded seating capacity should increase that considerably.
Is'nt this a no brainer?

The taxpayers pay a large sum of money to build/renovate something, it brings in more money, and that money goes where? This is so typical.:mad:

kaorder1999
12-06-2005, 11:13 AM
that would be great for the stadium. Im excited to see what the plans are