PDA

View Full Version : Merkel Badgers?

keenoace
12-05-2005, 05:58 PM
I wonder how the ole Merkel Badgers are going to do in 2006?

They were 0-10 this year and haven't been that bad since the days of WIGINGTON as head coach. I know he was 0-30 during his tenure and I know he wasn't the best HEAD COACH because he came from Dimmitt being 0-10 as well. So as a head coach I think that puts him at 0-40. Do you think they will recover in 06'?

oh well
12-05-2005, 06:03 PM
OUCH:eek:Anyone seen buubba

Tweeder215
12-05-2005, 06:12 PM
The thing with Wig at merkel wasnt a lack of coaching but rather a lack of athletes. He is now the Def. Coor. at Sweetwater, has been for several years now and has produced some great defenses there. He is a great coach with very high morals and great intensity with an uncanny ability to motivate, he just never caught a break until now.

keenoace
12-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Tweeder215
The thing with Wig at merkel wasnt a lack of coaching but rather a lack of athletes. He is now the Def. Coor. at Sweetwater, has been for several years now and has produced some great defenses there. He is a great coach with very high morals and great intensity with an uncanny ability to motivate, he just never caught a break until now.

TRUE!!! Thank God for the sweetwater mustangs.

Tweeder215
12-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by keenoace
TRUE!!! Thank God for the sweetwater mustangs.

Whether that is sarcasm or not, I agree with you. Thank GOD for those SWEETWATER MUSTANGS!!!

Sweetwater Red
12-05-2005, 06:26 PM

They were 0-10 this year and haven't been that bad since the days of WIGINGTON as head coach. I know he was 0-30 during his tenure and I know he wasn't the best HEAD COACH because he came from Dimmitt being 0-10 as well. So as a head coach I think that puts him at 0-40. Do you think they will recover in 06'?

They have a 100 more students than the Tatum Eagles. Therefore, no excuses. A couple of years ago they were solid.
They even won a game or two in the play-offs. They're just down
right now. They will get better. They have to. It is real easy to
improve on an 0-10 record.

keenoace
12-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Whether that is sarcasm or not, I agree with you. Thank GOD for those SWEETWATER MUSTANGS!!!

Well it's true to a point, for Wigington's Sake, but mostly being a smart a$$!!! Sweetwater is the only reason he will have a future in coaching!!! Same goes for any coach that is tied in with a successful team, with a great head coach.

Tweeder215
12-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Well it's true to a point, for Wigington's Sake, but mostly being a smart a$$!!! Sweetwater is the only reason he will have a future in coaching!!! Same goes for any coach that is tied in with a successful team, with a great head coach.

Wow, I'm not so sure you have any idea what you're talking about. Jackson is a class act and great man but that might be a stretch even for him. He has a good supporting cast though. Having played under him I'm pretty sure I have the inside track on this one. Nice try though.

Tweeder215
12-05-2005, 06:30 PM
He is good, but Great?!?!

oh well
12-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Does Bubbbbbba have another user name?

Tweeder215
12-05-2005, 06:32 PM
If you are in reference to me, then I can promise you that you are mistaken.

oh well
12-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Okay one down 4 to go. Thanks for clearing that up

Tweeder215
12-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Anytime

oh well
12-05-2005, 06:35 PM
What years did you play

Tweeder215
12-05-2005, 06:37 PM
Technically, I played Mustang football from 93-03 (pee wee till varsity) But in high school I played 2002 and 2003.

STANG RED
12-05-2005, 06:38 PM
I do think he is a GREAT Athletic Director for the school as a whole though. Dont you?
I just have a problem with some of his game time decisions.
But lately, I have been having less and less of them, I'll have to say.

VWG
12-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Any coach that goes 0-30 and comes in after an 0-10 year has to have some questions arise about his HC ability.

Tweeder215
12-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Any coach that goes 0-30 and comes in after an 0-10 year has to have some questions arise about his HC ability.

First of all Jackson is the head coach so get your facts straight. But if you must include yourself in issues you know nothing about then read the whole thread first. And yes Stang Red, I do agree with you the game time decisions have gotten nothing but better as time has progressed. And he is an amazing AD and sets a fine example for everyone from Sweetwater not just the kids.

VWG
12-05-2005, 06:50 PM
First of all Jackson is the head coach so get your facts straight. But if you must include yourself in issues you know nothing about then read the whole thread first. And yes Stang Red, I do agree with you the game time decisions have gotten nothing but better as time has progressed. And he is an amazing AD and sets a fine example for everyone from Sweetwater not just the kids.

Whoa there cowboy...
I did read the whole thread. I wasn't implying about Kent Jackson. That guy is a heck of a coach and well respected among his peers. Did a heck of a job at 2A Olney and has represented Sweetwater very well.
I was talking about the guy who was the Merkel HC at the time they went 0-30.
Anybody, if it's at Merkel or Pottsboro, if you go winless for three straight years your coaching decisions have to be questioned.

Tweeder215
12-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Whoa there cowboy...
I did read the whole thread. I wasn't implying about Kent Jackson. That guy is a heck of a coach and well respected among his peers. Did a heck of a job at 2A Olney and has represented Sweetwater very well.
I was talking about the guy who was the Merkel HC at the time they went 0-30.
Anybody, if it's at Merkel or Pottsboro, if you go winless for three straight years your coaching decisions have to be questioned.

Well in that case I apologize for my rude behavior. I might be pretty hard on our coaches but I'll also be the first to defend them. No hard feelings. I'm telling you though Wig is one heck of a ball coach. Just never got the kids from merkels winning program to come around.

mustang04
12-05-2005, 06:54 PM

what was the point of this thread...SERIOUSLY....i think u need to change the name of the thread to "I'M BASHING COACH WIGINGTON"...look here, it wasnt his coaching, it was the lack of athletes...hell merkel finally made the playoffs 2 years ago for the first time in 60 some odd years, Chris Wigington was awesome when i played for sweetwater along w/ tweeder

u have some kind of grudge against him???...seem pretty obsessed

keenoace
12-05-2005, 06:57 PM
Technically, I played Mustang football from 93-03 (pee wee till varsity) But in high school I played 2002 and 2003.

My brother played for Snyder in 02-03 and I remember when we went to sweetwater in 03 i think, one of the Snyder players laid the the CRAP out of one of the sweetwater player. He knocked his helmet off and everything, till this day I have never seen a more ferocious hit like that at any level. Man it was awesome. Isaac Ramon was his name. He was small but he was mean.

mustang04
12-05-2005, 06:59 PM
My brother played for Snyder in 02-03 and I remember when we went to sweetwater in 03 i think, one of the Snyder players laid the the CRAP out of one of the sweetwater player. He knocked his helmet off and everything, till this day I have never seen a more ferocious hit like that at any level. Man it was awesome. Isaac Ramon was his name. He was small but he was mean.
u wanna know something....i was the next guy to be blind sided on that punt....i didnt even see the dude comming, but it didnt even hurt, just like that one that isaac laid on my friend when his helmet came off...he said it didnt even hurt, when u catch someone off guard, the hit looks alot worse than what it really is

keenoace
12-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Read the post again I never said jackson was great!!! Let me put it this way. Any coach that is tied in with a good program and has a good head coach to learn from, he has a good chance of getting a really good job!

mustang04
by the way...isnt that when we held mr. almighty malcom wells to like 16 yards rushing...:D

STANG RED
Not all good coaches can succeed at the head coach level for some reason. They may be very good as OC, or DC, or any other position except for the head coach position.
Hank Dowell was a great assistant coach at Sweetwater under Tom Richey, but when he took over as head coach after Richey retired, the program went into a downward spiral quick. Dowell had proven his great coaching skills for years as an assistante, but for some reason, he just didnt have what it takes to be a good head coach. He is now doing very well again, as an assistant at Abilene High.

keenoace
12-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
u wanna know something....i was the next guy to be blind sided on that punt....i didnt even see the dude comming, but it didnt even hurt, just like that one that isaac laid on my friend when his helmet came off...he said it didnt even hurt, when u catch someone off guard, the hit looks alot worse than what it really is

Not asking if it hurt. Just saying it was a hit you only see every once in a while.

keenoace
12-05-2005, 07:03 PM
by the way...isnt that when we held mr. almighty malcom wells to like 16 yards rushing...:D

Don't remember?

mustang04
12-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Don't remember?

i do....the week before he had like 5 touchdowns and a ridiculous amount of yards rushing, got on TV and opened his big mouth, and i remember in the locker room how some of our tuds on defense were saying how he was gonna hate getting the pall after the first few plays:D

oh well
12-05-2005, 07:05 PM
stang red if IP had got a first down after the punt that would not have been good you have to agree. You are hard but just stating your point as a fan that has been there. I can not believe I said that I better stay away from BM

mustang04
12-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Not asking if it hurt. Just saying it was a hit you only see every once in a while.

no i get what u were saying and im not trying to be any way, cuz on film it looked awesome haha

keenoace
12-05-2005, 07:08 PM
no i get what u were saying and im not trying to be any way, cuz on film it looked awesome haha

Yeah, you can never tell if someone is being sarcastic or not.

mustang04
12-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Yeah, you can never tell if someone is being sarcastic or not.
thats why i believe so many arguements have occured on the downlow is cuz some ppl take others serious when they are joking haha or think they are joking when someone is trying to be serious:D

keenoace
12-05-2005, 07:17 PM
thats why i believe so many arguements have occured on the downlow is cuz some ppl take others serious when they are joking haha or think they are joking when someone is trying to be serious:D

true true

Snyder_TigerFan
12-05-2005, 07:23 PM

I recall that play...it was a nice hit.

STANG RED
12-05-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by oh well
stang red if IP had got a first down after the punt that would not have been good you have to agree. You are hard but just stating your point as a fan that has been there. I can not believe I said that I better stay away from BM
Sorry oh well, but I'm not following your post here. We were talking about coaches on this thread.
Are you talking about when Sweetwater held IP on there possession before we made the tieing score?
If so, yes we probably would have lost that game, had we given up a 1st down on that possession.

Mustangpride09
12-05-2005, 07:31 PM
It's not the coach's fault if he cant find players that actually want to play.

Sweetwater Red
12-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09
It's not the coach's fault if he cant find players that actually want to play.

Or ain't afraid to.

its_n_ D_water
12-05-2005, 10:02 PM
All blind side hits are cool to see....But I wouldnt consider it a big hit....one player is off guard....now the hit lfrom last week ..when that #20 for sweetwater...hit that punt returner from monahans, kid flipped and land on the top of his helmet...now thats a hit....:cool:

Sweetwater Red
12-05-2005, 10:05 PM
I stayed up entirely too late last night to watch that play and
Banyards run that fooled everyone. Unfortunately, it fooled
KRBC's camera man too.

Stownhorse
12-05-2005, 10:11 PM
haha yea that was nice.....I followed the play well though..never lost sight of the ball except for when the camera man did lol

Bullaholic
12-05-2005, 10:19 PM

What Reggie is trying to say is that he has absolutely nothing above his shoulder pads which could possibly be hurt. :D

(Had to slap you up side of the head when I had the chance, Reg)

WestTXLonghorn
12-05-2005, 10:20 PM
I wish Wigington had learned how to coach a defense my Senior year! We'd have gone to state easily. Broke my heart scoring a TD with 55 seconds left against Kennedale and then seeing them drive 80 yrds down the field to beat us.

Oh well, that's my luck for being stuck with a joke of a coach my junior year and then getting a new guy in senior year. Congrats to all of them now tho!

LewP
12-05-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by WestTXLonghorn
I wish Wigington had learned how to coach a defense my Senior year! We'd have gone to state easily. Broke my heart scoring a TD with 55 seconds left against Kennedale and then seeing them drive 80 yrds down the field to beat us.

Oh well, that's my luck for being stuck with a joke of a coach my junior year and then getting a new guy in senior year. Congrats to all of them now tho!

Hey Longhorn...good to see you friend.....

WestTXLonghorn
12-05-2005, 11:36 PM
But of course! It took Matthew a few days to realize I needed to be validated but it's all good now!

:)

Mustangpride09
12-06-2005, 12:33 AM

who cares? you still got beat by like 30 points.

MHSvarsity2007
12-06-2005, 12:54 AM
..hell merkel finally made the playoffs 2 years ago for the first time in 60 some odd years...

haha actually, it was 40 :D

mustang04
12-06-2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007
haha actually, it was 40 :D

ok...sometime in the 1960's...thats where i got the 60 from off the top of me noggin...40 YEARS FOLKS:D

MHSvarsity2007
12-06-2005, 01:16 AM
ok...sometime in the 1960's...thats where i got the 60 from off the top of me noggin...40 YEARS FOLKS:D

haha thank you for correcting yourself! :clap: :D

Black_Magic
12-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Any coach that goes 0-30 and comes in after an 0-10 year has to have some questions arise about his HC ability. Well if your record as head coach is 0-40, you have to feel that way about a person. Maybe it is that some make good assistants and poor head coaches.. this may be that situation.

BTW I didnt read this post as an "BASHING WIGGINGTON" thread 04...... It looked like it was a question about Merkel and them going 0-10.... Keenoace mentioned the last time that happened and who was at the helm. then I saw Keenoace mention that Wiggington was 0-10 at the last place he was the head coach at to offer a possible expination for the poor record 3 years in a row.. thats how I read it..

injuredinmelee
12-06-2005, 10:20 AM
It is my opinion that NO ONE could ever be successful at Merkel over an extended period of time. The stat exxagerator that went to Bushland was a good coach but he left because he knew that the talent level he had his last two years there was about to drop tremendously.

vet93
12-06-2005, 11:30 AM
That is true to a point.....100 students at one school may look completely different than another 100 students at another school.

Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
They have a 100 more students than the Tatum Eagles. Therefore, no excuses. A couple of years ago they were solid.
They even won a game or two in the play-offs. They're just down
right now. They will get better. They have to. It is real easy to
improve on an 0-10 record.

NateDawg39
12-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Merkel for State 06'!

injuredinmelee
12-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Merkel for State 06'!

in goat roping or FFA Range and Pasture Judging maybe.

keenoace
12-06-2005, 12:07 PM
the only sport worth playing at merkel is BASKETBALL!!!!

Black_Magic
12-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by vet93
That is true to a point.....100 students at one school may look completely different than another 100 students at another school. True! have you ever seen the Movie Wrong Turn?

NateDawg39
12-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
in goat roping or FFA Range and Pasture Judging maybe. Hey can you get a ring for it?

Black_Magic
12-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Badgers?!?!?... We Dont Need No Stinking Badgers!!!!!

mustang04
12-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
True! have you ever seen the Movie Wrong Turn? HAHAHHAHAAHA:clap: :clap: :clap:

i know EXACTLY why u bring that up hahaha

keenoace
12-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09
who cares? you still got beat by like 30 points.

We talked about that yesterday geek..... :nerd:

Tweeder215
12-06-2005, 01:23 PM

^For the record, you did say great, keeno. But I appreciate the almost intelligible response.

keenoace
12-06-2005, 01:37 PM
^For the record, you did say great, keeno. But I appreciate the almost intelligible response.

I had a buddy i played college baseball with. he played for Coach Jackson when he was at Olney. I remember him saying he was an okay coach. From what I hear the Sweetwater community doesn't really like Coach Jackson. Not Saying that it's tru, just what I hear. Since he has been there he has gone at least three deep in to the playoffs. How can you not like that. If what I hear is true.

mustang04
12-06-2005, 03:18 PM
I had a buddy i played college baseball with. he played for Coach Jackson when he was at Olney. I remember him saying he was an okay coach. From what I hear the Sweetwater community doesn't really like Coach Jackson. Not Saying that it's tru, just what I hear. Since he has been there he has gone at least three deep in to the playoffs. How can you not like that. If what I hear is true.

Coach Jackson is a GREAT guy and a really good coach, but going just 3-4 deep my junior and senior year was definitely cutting us way too short...we should been at the state game both those years...dont get me wrong, i dont like blaming coaches cuz the players are the ones playing the game, but sometimes calls are made that sells ur team short...i STILL think Coach J is a really good coach

liloc8705
12-07-2005, 03:24 AM
what was the point of this thread...SERIOUSLY....i think u need to change the name of the thread to "I'M BASHING COACH WIGINGTON"...look here, it wasnt his coaching, it was the lack of athletes...hell merkel finally made the playoffs 2 years ago for the first time in 60 some odd years, Chris Wigington was awesome when i played for sweetwater along w/ tweeder

u have some kind of grudge against him???...seem pretty obsessed

merkel had talent when wigington coached he just cant coach u look at some of the offensive numbers other schools have put on yall since he has been the d cordinator granted yall might have won cause ur offense but not by ur defence

whtfbplaya
12-07-2005, 03:47 AM
true

liloc8705
12-22-2005, 10:50 PM
the only sport worth playing at merkel is BASKETBALL!!!!
yea if ur a girl the guys suck just like the football team

MHSvarsity2007
12-22-2005, 11:23 PM
everybody knows that merkel sucks at everything. lets bring it up again and talk about it some more. do you people honestly think your saying something that we haven't already heard...? :doh:

injuredinmelee
12-22-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007
everybody knows that merkel sucks at everything. lets bring it up again and talk about it some more. do you people honestly think your saying something that we haven't already heard...? :doh:

its just nice of them to try and remind you occasionally.

MHSvarsity2007
12-23-2005, 04:24 AM
its just nice of them to try and remind you occasionally.

hmm...well thanks, but i don't need a reminder. i already hear enough about it...especially from you.

injuredinmelee
12-23-2005, 11:09 AM
anytime my friend.

SWMustang
12-23-2005, 11:24 AM
I read in the Abilene Reporter that they had to fire some coaches a few years ago because of some impropriety between Coaches and students. Maybe that has played some role in Merkel's recent struggles - and the talent thing too.

LewP
12-23-2005, 11:36 AM
Uh Oh.....:hand:

injuredinmelee
12-23-2005, 11:37 AM
no thats not it. They were bad before that.

SWMustang
12-23-2005, 12:03 PM
no thats not it. They were bad before that.

maybe the coaches just said "Oh, Screw it" - and then they did.

LewP
12-23-2005, 12:12 PM
This is gonna go south in a hurry...

MHSvarsity2007
12-23-2005, 03:15 PM
oh great, here we go again...