PDA

View Full Version : If Gainesville wins this weekend...

Adidas410s
12-05-2005, 05:05 PM
that will be 5 out of 6 years that Wylie will have either won state or been knocked out by the eventual state champ. If not for a "hiccup" against Vernon in the 1st round in 2001, we would likely have played #1 Everman a few rounds later...and they won state that year too!

2000 - lost to Gatesville in the state finals
2002 - lost to Everman in the 2nd round
2003 - lost to Gainesville in the state semifinals
2004 - WON STATE!!!
2005 - lost to Gainesville in the state quarters

Kind of an interesting thought...but at least one could say that the road to the 3A Div1 title goes through Abilene. Now if they go 4A next year...this is all a moot point!
:doh:

Rabbit'93
12-05-2005, 05:50 PM
I think we(forney) had some sort of string like that as well. Everman twice, gainseville once, and la grange.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-05-2005, 06:39 PM
That is one heck of a run. I would agree. If you plan on winning it in DI then you will have to have a plan for Wylie.

The 2001 Vernon team was awesome. I wasn't a bit surprised to see the Lions win that matchup. But other than our 2003 team we have just had some down years. I'm not sure what the fix is in Vernon, but I'm tired of not winning. We used to dominate all the Wichita Falls (4A) schools. We had a coaching change in 2003 and I think if we have another bad year the winds of change may be coming again.

Vernon didn't even give Wylie a game this year. It was embarassing.

Tweeder215
12-05-2005, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
But other than our 2003 team we have just had some down years. I'm not sure what the fix is in Vernon, but I'm tired of not winning.

I remember that team from '03, played against y'all. Y'all were a great team and pulled off that defensive battle in the hurricane in Lubbock (just without the rain).

Adidas410s
12-05-2005, 07:18 PM
That is one heck of a run. I would agree. If you plan on winning it in DI then you will have to have a plan for Wylie.

The 2001 Vernon team was awesome. I wasn't a bit surprised to see the Lions win that matchup. But other than our 2003 team we have just had some down years. I'm not sure what the fix is in Vernon, but I'm tired of not winning. We used to dominate all the Wichita Falls (4A) schools. We had a coaching change in 2003 and I think if we have another bad year the winds of change may be coming again.

Vernon didn't even give Wylie a game this year. It was embarassing.

Yeah I wasn't as much doubting the Vernon team as I was the Wylie team. That was the only time I have ever seen a Sandifer team look unprepared and the coaches not be able to make gametime changes to their plan. With the talent on that team (returning QB, RB, and WR/DB that is now at Purdue along with 2 or 3 OL guys)...for them to not make a deep run into the playoffs was kind of sad. That game was embarassing for Wylie to be honest. We didnt use our running game to control the clock and field position, we kept trying throw deep balls with the 1-on-1 matchups that we had with their corners...but they were faster than all but 1 of our receivers and we couldn't get behind them. Thus...it was a long and ugly night! Needless to say, the staff learned not to take Vernon for granted (whom had a similar lineup from 2000 when we beat them 35-7...their only score being a kick return) and they have not made that mistake against any opponent since.

Matthew328
12-05-2005, 07:26 PM
I was wantin to see the 2001 Vernon team play Everman....too bad they got upset..

sportfan53
12-05-2005, 10:26 PM

Vernon didn't even give Wylie a game this year. It was embarassing. VHS should have made the most successful coach in Vernon the AD last time and things might have been different. The tennis coach knows how to win and has been at VHS longer than any fb coach ever thought about.

VERNONLION#1
12-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by sportfan53
VHS should have made the most successful coach in Vernon the AD last time and things might have been different. The tennis coach knows how to win and has been at VHS longer than any fb coach ever thought about. :clap: That is what you call hitting the nail on the head.

sinton66
12-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I was wantin to see the 2001 Vernon team play Everman....too bad they got upset..

You weren't disappointed by who you did get, were you?;)

Adidas410s
12-06-2005, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by sportfan53
VHS should have made the most successful coach in Vernon the AD last time and things might have been different. The tennis coach knows how to win and has been at VHS longer than any fb coach ever thought about.

I heard rumors in the tennis community that Vargas was going to leave when he wasn't named the AD. Combine that with the big drop in talent in Vernon over the last few years and I wouldn't blame him. A lot of people from Wylie weren't ever big Vargas fans but as a player and now an observer of his program, he is a class guy that has done things with his teams that were FAR beyond the talent level of his teams. I will always respect him for telling me my senior year that the injuries that I battled through my junior year at region in state is a story that he uses to tell his junior high and JV kids as motivation. He says he can tell those kids "if somebody else can overcome all these obstacles and perform as well as he did...then you can too!" That being said I'm not sure if I felt I was performing too well that year at the region and state tournies! :thinking:

Starting in 1999, that was the first year that Wylie had more talent that Vernon but it took until 2001 (thanks to yours truly not closing the deal in '99) to finally beat them at region...only to lose to them at state the next week! :( The run of suceess that Vargas has had is simply amazing and I hope that one day he is recognized beyond the tennis community for his accomplishments. It's too bad that 3A tennis isn't a UIL sport or I am sure that he would have been long ago! :)

injuredinmelee
12-06-2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Yeah I wasn't as much doubting the Vernon team as I was the Wylie team. That was the only time I have ever seen a Sandifer team look unprepared and the coaches not be able to make gametime changes to their plan. With the talent on that team (returning QB, RB, and WR/DB that is now at Purdue along with 2 or 3 OL guys)...for them to not make a deep run into the playoffs was kind of sad. That game was embarassing for Wylie to be honest. We didnt use our running game to control the clock and field position, we kept trying throw deep balls with the 1-on-1 matchups that we had with their corners...but they were faster than all but 1 of our receivers and we couldn't get behind them. Thus...it was a long and ugly night! Needless to say, the staff learned not to take Vernon for granted (whom had a similar lineup from 2000 when we beat them 35-7...their only score being a kick return) and they have not made that mistake against any opponent since.

that entire season Lampert carried the ball one time, the week before and went 70 something yards for a touchdown. That games was brutal.

kaorder1999
12-06-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
I think we(forney) had some sort of string like that as well. Everman twice, gainseville once, and la grange.

crazy thing about forney is you had teh same argument for baseball as well i believe