PDA

View Full Version : Tatum

TigerPride
12-04-2005, 10:37 AM
So does anyone know anything about tatum players.How is there qb, any div. 1 players, there offense, defense, etc. Great game friday, yall really came out to play. I was very impressed with the defense. I'll be at the game sat.

lostaussie
12-04-2005, 10:44 AM
i'll be honest. have not seen them play since we hung 60 on em' last year (i just had to bring that up:D) supposedly have 5 players being recruited by div1 teams. qb i think is a soph. rb is a stud, creer, i think is his name. whole team will be very fast. they flirted with the spread a little last year, but have gone back to a power running game with some passing thrown in. yes, they can throw the football. i think this is shaping up to be a very good matchup. especially is sweetwater has the speed that they say they have.

TigerPride
12-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Sweetwater has the speed, the defense has come along way since last week against i.p. They held monahans STAR running back in check all night,compared to what he did against Bridgeport. I'm just curious to see how big the o-line is for tatum

lostaussie
12-04-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by TigerPride
So does anyone know anything about tatum players.How is there qb, any div. 1 players, there offense, defense, etc. Great game friday, yall really came out to play. I was very impressed with the defense. I'll be at the game sat. I just noticed you are from snyder. tatum will be about as fast as we were last year. won't throw as well as we did, more of a grind it out style with enough speed to go the distance at any time. hope that helps.

TigerPride
12-04-2005, 11:35 AM
FOOTBALL: Tatum ends Canton's season

By GABRIEL D. BROOKS

Saturday, December 03, 2005

TYLER – The battle of the Eagles was close for three quarters, but Tatum took over in the fourth, clinching a berth in the Class 3A state semifinals against Sweetwater with a 45-21 win Friday night at Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium.

Junior running back Lennon Creer led Tatum (13-0) with 24 carries for 197 yards and a touchdown, despite missing the third quarter. Sophomore quarterback Cashas Pollard completed 8 of 12 passes for 128 yards, three touchdowns and one interception.

Senior cornerback Teo Freeney picked of Canton (13-2) quarterback G.J. Kinne three times as the Tatum defense held Kinne to 18-for-45 passing for 231 yards, three touchdowns and four interceptions. True to form, Tatum's defense yielded only 111 passing yards in the second half despite Kinne's 22 passing attempts.

Justin Greene and Jonathon Humphries each recorded a sack for the Tatum defense, while Isaiah Thompson and James Miller combined for another. The Tatum defense forced five turnovers on the night.

The Division II, Region II championship game was physical from start to finish, and got downright ugly late. Tatum was penalized 13 times for 120 yards, while Canton racked up 100 penalty yards on nine flags.

Canton's Patrick Williams stormed into the locker room after being called for a personal foul in the fourth quarter. Head coach Gary Joe Kinne was penalized for coming out onto the field and staying there, while receiver Houston Tuminello, who caught four passes for 40 yards and a touchdown, was ejected for throwing an official's flag halfway across the field. These three penalties all occurred at the 2:52 mark in the fourth, with Canton only trailing 31-21.

Tatum, who began the second half without Creer, went three-and-out to open the third quarter. Canton took over at its 40-yard line and proceeded to burn 6:15 off the clock, driving 60 yards in 13 plays as Kinne hit Prox in the back left corner of the end zone for the score, cutting the lead to 24-21 with 4:18 left in the third quarter.

Tatum needed only one play to put its lead back at 10. Pollard faked a handoff and hit a streaking Chance Blackmon between the hash marks around the 30-yard line where he outran a Canton defender into the end zone for a 70-yard touchdown. Vasquez's fourth extra point made gave Tatum a 31-21 with 3:59 remaining in the third.

Canton tried to get back those seven points on the first play of the ensuing drive, but Kinne was picked off for the second time by Freeney along the left sideline, giving Tatum the ball right back at its own 23-yard line.

Tatum moved the ball 32 yards before Pollard was picked off by Jared Johnson at the Canton 26-yard line. Canton got one first down from a penalty before three straight incompletions. But on fourth-and-10, Kinne zipped a pass to Tuminello for a 12-yard gain and a first down near midfield. On second-and-10 from the Tatum, Kinne was picked off by Freeney for the third time at the Tatum seven-yard line.

Creer came back into the game and carried seven times for 64 yards before fumbling. Canton's Jason Harris recovered at the 38-yard line. Canton moved 35 yards before fumbling, yet stopped Tatum on its ensuing possession to force a punt. However, Canton's Williams was called for a personal foul, which sparked the personal foul fiasco that lasted about 10 minutes.

After the penalties, Tatum got the ball at the Canton 29, where three plays later Creer rushed into the end zone from 30 yards out, bulling over Canton's Josh McWilliams at the five. Tatum iced the game with the score, taking a 38-21 lead with 2:52 remaining in the game.

Canton's last minute comeback was dashed on its first play as McCoy picked off Kinne and ran it for a touchdown.

On the game's second play, Freeney picked off a Kinne bomb at the Tatum 34. On first-and-10, Moore took a reverse 65 yards to the Canton one-yard line. Pollard sneaked into the end zone, and Martin Vasquez followed with a PAT to give Tatum a 7-0 lead just over a minute into the game.

Tatum added to its lead on its next possession. An eight-play, 60-yard drive culminated in a 3-yard touchdown pass from Pollard to Moore in the back of the end zone on fourth-and-3, stretching the lead to 14-0 with 3:47 to go in the first.

Kinne's first completion went for 46 yards to Reid on Canton's next drive. Three plays later, Kinne threw a frozen rope to a leaping Casey Bell for a 27-yard touchdown, cutting Tatum's lead to 14-7 with 2:28 remaining in the first quarter.

After penalties killed Tatum's last possession of the first quarter, Canton went 43 yards in four plays to tie the game as Kinne connected with Houston Tuminello for a 13-yard touchdown nine seconds into the second quarter.

After consecutive three-and-outs on its previous two drives, Tatum went back to its ground game on its next drive. Creer made runs of 27 and 10, and Tatum was aided by a late hit by Canton. On first-and-10 from Canton's 28-yard line, Pollard ran a play-action bootleg to his right and found McCoy wide open at the five-yard line for the touchdown, capping off a 6-play, 85-yard drive. Tatum regained the lead 21-14 with 5:39 left in the first half.

Canton went for it on fourth-and-3 at its own 37, but Leatch took Kinne's legs out from under him as his pass landed three yards shy of his intended receiver, giving the ball back to Tatum.

Twenty-yards and six plays later, Vasquez drilled a 31-yard field goal to extend Tatum's lead to 24-14 with 51 seconds left in the half.

sweetwater07
12-04-2005, 11:35 AM
hope we have the speed to contain them

Aesculus gilmus
12-04-2005, 12:19 PM
I doubt if you do. That said, I understand that the teams out that way do have some speed.

Dee Walker of Snyder had a pretty good game against Gilmer, but he and some receiver with an Hispanic name were about all they had. Was it Lico Castillo?

PHS Wildcats
12-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Tatum thrives off of turnovers, creating short field position for the offense, and controlling the clock. Avoid the TO's and you have a great chance.

SnyTigBaseB07
12-04-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus

Dee Walker of Snyder had a pretty good game against Gilmer, but he and some receiver with an Hispanic name were about all they had. Was it Lico Castillo?

:D :D Ya it was Castillo

lostaussie
12-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
Tatum thrives off of turnovers, creating short field position for the offense, and controlling the clock. Avoid the TO's and you have a great chance. great statement. offense feeds off very high intensity defense, capable of changing game.

eagles_victory
12-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i'll be honest. have not seen them play since we hung 60 on em' last year (i just had to bring that up:D) supposedly have 5 players being recruited by div1 teams. qb i think is a soph. rb is a stud, creer, i think is his name. whole team will be very fast. they flirted with the spread a little last year, but have gone back to a power running game with some passing thrown in. yes, they can throw the football. i think this is shaping up to be a very good matchup. especially is sweetwater has the speed that they say they have.
They also beat you out two years ago. (i just had to bring that up :D)

mustang04
12-04-2005, 01:42 PM
I doubt if you do. That said, I understand that the teams out that way do have some speed.

we have the speed to contain them...but it doesnt necessarily mean they will be contained

lostaussie
12-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
They also beat you out two years ago. (i just had to bring that up :D) another uninformed poster. we knocked them out tatum in round 3 two years ago before loseing to eventual state champ atlanta. get your facts straight:D

Aesculus gilmus
12-04-2005, 03:28 PM
The last time Tatum beat Gilmer was in 2000, Traylor's first season. It was also the last time Traylor lost a district game.

Matthew328
12-04-2005, 03:32 PM
Tatum has about 5 Div 1 players...Sweetwater has good speed at the skill positions...the difference between East and West Texas is that East Texas will have speed across the board....1-11 while West texas teams have 2 or 3 burners..

Tweeder215
12-04-2005, 03:34 PM

I understand that WTexas gets underestimated in the speed category but I can promise you that Sweetwater has the speed to contain any team they play. Now whether they do or not is a different story but speed will definitely not be the problem.

vet93
12-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Good point Matt....I think that you will have to give the nod to Tatum for overall Team Speed. My concern for Sweetwater is that if Tatum can negate their speed at the skill position, then it will come down to who is the most physical up front. I am hearing that Tatum is pretty physical on the lines....if that is the case...it will not bode well for the Mustangs.......Hopefully this is not the case...Go Mustangs!

Originally posted by Matthew328
Tatum has about 5 Div 1 players...Sweetwater has good speed at the skill positions...the difference between East and West Texas is that East Texas will have speed across the board....1-11 while West texas teams have 2 or 3 burners..

lostaussie
12-04-2005, 06:29 PM
We think alike. this was a post of mine from yesterday.

Tatum has about 5 Div 1 players...Sweetwater has good speed at the skill positions...the difference between East and West Texas is that East Texas will have speed across the board....1-11 while West texas teams have 2 or 3 burners.. Just like i told mustang07 about a month ago. i'll put my entire team of fast players against your 4 track stars any day. i'm not saying ya'll won't win by any means, just don't underestimate them.

DragonEagle01
12-04-2005, 07:10 PM
Lennon Creer is an awesome RB. He has speed and power. Teo Freeney is a great corner and made some tremendous interceptions. Chance and Carson Blackmon both were great players. Isiah Thompson is a big, powerful DL. The quarterback is pretty good, but they don't throw the ball too much. Daylon McCoy is another one to watch out for. Overall they are a good team with plenty of speed and talent, but they get over-agressive and are prone to penalities. If you get them out of their game, you can win. Canton did that early and were tied with them, just gave up too many big plays and had stupid penalties. If Sweetwater can put together a full game, which I think they can, they will win.

Rabbit'93
12-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by DragonEagle01
and had stupid penalties.
That's an understatement.

sweetwater07
12-04-2005, 07:16 PM
We think alike. this was a post of mine from yesterday.

Just like i told mustang07 about a month ago. i'll put my entire team of fast players against your 4 track stars any day. i'm not saying ya'll won't win by any means, just don't underestimate them.

thats a very good point.....

sweetwater07
12-04-2005, 07:36 PM
someone clear this whole "fighting" stuff at the canton tatum game?

LewP
12-04-2005, 08:15 PM

So Matthew...are you predicting a Tatum victory??

Matthew328
12-04-2005, 08:34 PM
Probably...Tatum has many advantages in this one.....I don't think you'll see the drilling like when Snyder and Gilmer played there but I see a close Tatum win....Tatum's defense will be the difference...

LewP
12-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Probably...Tatum has many advantages in this one.....I don't think you'll see the drilling like when Snyder and Gilmer played there but I see a close Tatum win....Tatum's defense will be the difference...

OK, bookmarking this post. I always love when the Mustangs overcome predictions...:hand:

http://mas.scripps.com/ABIL/2005/12/03/1203SwaterTD_e.jpg

DragonEagle01
12-04-2005, 08:57 PM
There wasn't any fighting in the Canton/Tatum game. Just a lot of trash-talking and late hits. Most people are making it like Canton was the only team participating in that, but I was at the game and it was coming from both sides. There were a lot of late hits that the refs didn't call. Canton completely lost control in the 4th quarter. In my opinion, the refs let this one get way out of hand. I don't think that Coach Kinne actually got the penalty as stated in the article. From my understanding, a flag was thrown on #42 and he thought he was ejected, so he left the field, but once he found out that he wasn't he returned to the sidelines. Then #4 was flagged for I believe cussing in the presence of the ref and he picked the flag up and threw it across the field, resulting in another flag and him being ejected from the game. Both coaches argued flags all night, but it seems our coach is taking all the criticism for it. The Tatum coach was on the field just as our coach was. The actions of those two players will be what everyone remembers, but there are many players on this team that had no part in any of that. Usually when there are unsportsmanlike penalties, you can easily narrow it down to who it's going to be. Hopefully those issues will be resolved. One of the kids is a senior, but the other is a sophomore.

lostaussie
12-04-2005, 09:03 PM
if it looks like it, and it smells like it, and it smushes like it, then it must be it:D

sweetwater07
12-04-2005, 09:56 PM
well i just was unaware of what happened in the first place....by no means am i directing all of it towards canton........hopefully we will beat them to make you feel better about that loss yall took............in your opinion who do you think will win this game....i need an east texas opinion

DragonEagle01
12-04-2005, 10:33 PM
Sweetwater07: Sorry if it sounded like I meant you were, but I meant in general a lot of people are. Not having seen SW play and only seeing Tatum once, I'm picking Sweetwater to win because ya'll seem to have a great running game, and I think that is the key to beating Tatum. We never got our running game going Friday night, didn't really run enough to see if it was effective. In my opinion, a strong running team could beat Tatum. I'll be pulling for yall, and it should be a great game.

Lostaussie, what do you mean by that?

S-WtrMustangFan
12-05-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by DragonEagle01
Sweetwater07: Sorry if it sounded like I meant you were, but I meant in general a lot of people are. Not having seen SW play and only seeing Tatum once, I'm picking Sweetwater to win because ya'll seem to have a great running game, and I think that is the key to beating Tatum. We never got our running game going Friday night, didn't really run enough to see if it was effective. In my opinion, a strong running team could beat Tatum. I'll be pulling for yall, and it should be a great game.

Lostaussie, what do you mean by that? I know that yall had some coastly ints. that may have cost you the game.Sweetwater's running game is good and i hope its good enough to keep us away from the pass.Thank you for your input Dragon Eagle.Go Mustangs !!!!! Spread The Red !!!!!!

mustang84
12-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Just wanted to know where I could find a roster for Tatum . I was hoping to compare size with the Mustangs.

sweetwater07
12-05-2005, 11:10 AM
i heard they weren't much bigger than us.....a definately not as big as IP...

TigerPride
12-05-2005, 11:12 AM
yeah i'd like to see a roster and stats for this season for tatum, as well.Hope someone can help.

zeus63
12-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by TigerPride
yeah i'd like to see a roster and stats for this season for tatum, as well.Hope someone can help.

They don't have wieghts and heights listed on their roster, at least not the one I got. They are about the same as IP, in my opinion.

FootballChik98
12-05-2005, 07:23 PM
The roster I have doesn't have sizes either.

Sweetwater Red
12-05-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
i heard they weren't much bigger than us.....a definately not as big as IP...

Dave Campbell has one kid listed as 6'5"/300lbs. with a 5.1 40.
I don't believe the 5.1 40 part.

Pmoney
12-05-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
ya never know.....

lostaussie
12-05-2005, 08:51 PM
I don't believe the 5.1 40 part. you don't have to believe it, you just have to prepare for it........

Sweetwater Red
12-05-2005, 09:00 PM
You mean like that highly touted I.P. kid. At the snap of the ball
he just stood up. He was totally unimpressive on the defensive
side of the ball. Maybe a tackle or two.

lostaussie
12-05-2005, 09:03 PM
You mean like that highly touted I.P. kid. At the snap of the ball
he just stood up. He was totally unimpressive on the defensive
side of the ball. Maybe a tackle or two. ok mister 22 posts. just keep thinking ya'll are gonna walk the dog. i predict a classic matchup between 2 very good teams.

lostaussie
12-05-2005, 09:09 PM
ok mister 22 posts. just keep thinking ya'll are gonna walk the dog. i predict a classic matchup between 2 very good teams. ok i take that back. i got more class than that. good to have new posters aboard. rest of post stands:D

Sweetwater Red
12-05-2005, 09:14 PM
Me too...I am driving along way with my 75 year old grandpa
for it. It better be. The only thing I said was I don't believe a
kid that is 6'5" 300 lbs. can run 5.1.

lostaussie
12-05-2005, 09:17 PM
well i went to the fridge to get m&m's and i thought to myself "now that wasn't very nice" . enjoy the game. should be a good one.

Ranger Mom
12-05-2005, 09:21 PM
well i went to the fridge to get m&m's and i thought to myself "now that wasn't very nice" . enjoy the game. should be a good one.

Haha!!

m&m's just bring out the best in everybody!;)

jmcgee
12-05-2005, 09:22 PM
I wish I had some m&ms right now I'm hungry.

lostaussie
12-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by jmcgee
I wish I had some m&ms right now I'm hungry. only thing better than refridgerated m&m's is a frozen snickers:)

jmcgee
12-05-2005, 09:25 PM
only thing better than refridgerated m&m's is a frozen snickers:) Stop it!:mad:

Sweetwater Red
12-05-2005, 09:27 PM
I am active on hsfootball. Closing in on 600 posts. I have a hard
time with the lows black background on my eyes. But, it is alot
more active and has more than just 19-3A and 4-3A fans on it.
I have a meager 20 posts. Most of them are over the last two
days. OK I am not addicted. I can quit anytime a want to :) .

lostaussie
12-05-2005, 09:27 PM
right now i don't even need a freezer, just throw em' outside for a little while.

lostaussie
12-05-2005, 09:29 PM
OK I am not addicted. I can quit anytime a want to :) . you keep telling yourself that:) you'll be just fine.:D

jmcgee
12-05-2005, 09:29 PM
right now i don't even need a freezer, just throw em' outside for a little while. I'll be back I got to go to the store!

LewP
12-05-2005, 09:31 PM
right now i don't even need a freezer, just throw em' outside for a little while.

LOL now that's a great idea.....
we used to do that with our beer in germany...works great!

Tatum_Fan
12-06-2005, 02:24 AM

I believe that you a referring to Isaiah Thompson, Tatum's most highly recruited player of their 5 DI prospects. Not sure about the 5.1 part either, but he is very quick for his size. You may be able to find out more on him through Rivals.com

Tatum has him listed as 6'5" 315 lbs

LH Panther Mom
12-06-2005, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Tatum_Fan
I believe that you a referring to Isaiah Thompson, Tatum's most highly recruited player of their 5 DI prospects. Not sure about the 5.1 part either, but he is very quick for his size. You may be able to find out more on him through Rivals.com

Tatum has him listed as 6'5" 315 lbs

Welcome to the board! It's nice to have another east Texas poster. :)

lostaussie
12-06-2005, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Tatum_Fan

Tatum has him listed as 6'5" 315 lbs welcome aboard. i been trying to stick up for you guys as much as possible. i think this is a very good matchup.