PDA

View Full Version : Did he really say that

44INAROW
12-04-2005, 12:44 AM
Click here for the entire article (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/12/3HUTTO.html)

Coming from small-dot-on-the-map towns, players from both teams are celebrities at home. Hutto quarterback Jeremy Kerley said he and his teammates often receive free meals at local restaurants. They can't go anywhere in town without being recognized.

Gobbler Fan
12-04-2005, 12:53 AM
Yes he did I read about it on the old coach forum ----I wonder what Cameron's Coach thinks about that one . :thinking: If it's true what was he thinking telling it to a reporter doing a article on them ?:confused:

District303aPastPlayer
12-04-2005, 01:03 AM
who wants to call the UIL first :D

hornfan
12-04-2005, 01:08 AM
guys you have to realize that was not a direct quote and yall all know media does take things outta of context many times not sayin that was the case but give the kid a break before you start raggin on him.

big daddy russ
12-04-2005, 01:10 AM
Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here, but I never knew the UIL had a policy on this. The NCAA is famous for it, but I've never heard of anything like it at the HS level.

District303aPastPlayer
12-04-2005, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by hornfan
guys you have to realize that was not a direct quote and yall all know media does take things outta of context many times not sayin that was the case but give the kid a break before you start raggin on him.

what i am saying is this: It is against UIL rules for student-athletes to recieve preferential treatment and/or rewards for their athletic performances. In taking what is said in the article, that rule has been violated. . . but thats just my thought on it

Keith7
12-04-2005, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here, but I never knew the UIL had a policy on this. The NCAA is famous for it, but I've never heard of anything like it at the HS level.

didn't lebron get in trouble a couple of years ago for getting free jerseys??

District303aPastPlayer
12-04-2005, 01:13 AM

they do have a rule on it :p

District303aPastPlayer
12-04-2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
didn't lebron get in trouble a couple of years ago for getting free jerseys??

yeah, he did. he gave them back or paid for them, one of the two. not sure which. . .

eagles_victory
12-04-2005, 01:16 AM
Oh come on people give me a break.

hutex04
12-04-2005, 01:18 AM
omg! shut up about that. I live in Hutto, been to the resturants in hutto, never seen any players get no free food! that is not a direct quote. So drop it

District303aPastPlayer
12-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by hutex04
omg! shut up about that. I live in Hutto, been to the resturants in hutto, never seen any players get no free food! that is not a direct quote. So drop it

sorry, but i do not think you are in every resturant in Hutto, 24/7 monitoring. . . if there are allegations, which were made by your own player in teh article, then they should be investigated, just like at any other school.

Keith7
12-04-2005, 01:28 AM
. I live in Hutto, been to the resturants in hutto, never seen any players get no free food!

does anyone else see anything funny about this statement?? kinda told on themselves again

hutex04
12-04-2005, 01:33 AM
thats perfectly fine by me. This isint no Varcity Blues/Friday night lights town. People like you p*ss me off. Go on and make assumptions and accusations. You dont know anything about those kids, and you go off and call them out. Shame on you, you dont know anything.

44INAROW
12-04-2005, 01:33 AM
UIL has all kinds of, in my opinion stupid rules, on this matter.. limiting the number of banquets to 2 per year,, for example. You can't provide anything for an athlete that isn't provided for everyone else.... We caught flack about having an ice cream social after a scrimmage one year. I understand why they have the rules. but some of them are a absurd I think.. I wasn't slamming the QB in any way.. I was wondering if he really said it or if what he said was taken out of context. Having raised 2 boys and 3/4 of way on the 3rd one, it gives me shivers down my spine to think someone would be quoting anything my son said before a huge game or right after winning or losing one. We are dealing with 16, 17 and 18 year olds. But maybe someone should advise the boys before they make anymore comments or interviews, just so they are prepared. I just wanted to clarify my post.

hutex04
12-04-2005, 01:35 AM
My problem with this is these are kids, 16,17 year old. You are talking down to our program and I don't feel that is right. Cause a Statesman reporter says the football team gets free meals.

District303aPastPlayer
12-04-2005, 01:35 AM
thats perfectly fine by me. This isint no Varcity Blues/Friday night lights town. People like you p*ss me off. Go on and make assumptions and accusations. You dont know anything about those kids, and you go off and call them out. Shame on you, you dont know anything.

he called himself out by saying he was given free meals. its in the paper. we arent accusing, i was merely stating that if the accusations of handouts are being made by a football player who recieves one, then it should be investigated. in no way am i trying to detract from their success this year, but dang, to come flat out and say "we get free meals" is kinda like "HEY UIL, OVER HERE, LOOK AT US!!"

ILS1
12-04-2005, 01:36 AM
First,you gotta consider the source. The Austin Rag or which I call it,the paper that goes at the bottom of the bird cages. Plus,Jeremy is a classy,humble young man and comes from a great family. His mother for one,would not stand for ANY preferential treat given to him at all!!! So I wouldn't think twice about this article!!!

:)

hutex04
12-04-2005, 01:37 AM
Thats fine, UIL can investigate or whatnot. But, I dont think we should be talking about this until something is proven wrong. Cause to me, its just a distration

District303aPastPlayer
12-04-2005, 01:39 AM
Thats fine, UIL can investigate or whatnot. But, I dont think we should be talking about this until something is proven wrong. Cause to me, its just a distration

im guessing you are a player or in high school. . . and by the way, its a public forum. if its printed elsewhere, and we bring it to topic here, its fair game. you always have the option of not opening the thread.

hutex04
12-04-2005, 01:42 AM
No, not a student or player. I'm not gonna get all worked up over this. But, it should not be aloud on this board. Talking about other programs as if they are breaking the rules is very serious. And i dont think this is a subject that should be talked about in a public forum

District303aPastPlayer
12-04-2005, 01:46 AM
No, not a student or player. I'm not gonna get all worked up over this. But, it should not be aloud on this board. Talking about other programs as if they are breaking the rules is very serious. And i dont think this is a subject that should be talked about in a public forum

and it has been done by others about other schools too. . dont worry. . . we all get our fair share. . . and you did get worked up. . .if you wouldnt have been, you wouldnt have stooped to a level of cursing in a public forum, and masking it with symbols. :)

Ranger Mom
12-04-2005, 01:48 AM
Well....I am torn on this.

Because it was printed in a local paper.....it has already been made public by someone else.

That being said.....there is a such thing as "innocent until PROVEN guilty.

We are not the judge and jurors on this.....so let's just chill out on it and let whatever "powers that be" handle it how they see fit!

hutex04
12-04-2005, 01:51 AM
thats totaly fine, i just dont think its right to talk about this on public forums about things that are not proven.

District303aPastPlayer
12-04-2005, 01:55 AM
thats totaly fine, i just dont think its right to talk about this on public forums about things that are not proven.

we appreciate your opinion :)

hutex04
12-04-2005, 01:58 AM
yeah, my opinion is all that mattes. So, how you see hutto match up vs Cuero?

44INAROW
12-04-2005, 01:59 AM

I see why you are saying this, but for heaven's sake, it was in the newspaper.. It's not like I 'leaked" some secret.. I was just so surprised to see it in print - maybe it's because we are so cautious about the "freebie" thing in Cuero - maybe the Hutto player had no idea there was a rule against it - but like ILS said, we do have to consider the source, which is TOTALLY why I asked the question to begin with.."did he really say this?" Again, I was not trying to discredit the QB - and believe me, this is not the only forum talking about it.... it is on several forums........ and was way before I mentioned it..

Ranger Mom.. maybe this should be closed, what you think? I have no problem if you want to delete it totally.. I don't want any shadow cast on the team while they prepare for a game this week and more importantly, I don't want any hard feelings with the Hutto folks......

NateDawg39
12-04-2005, 02:17 AM
Wow threads really do get boring this time of the year. If people wanna give players free food, its there buisness losing money. AND if people are upset about it, well, im sorry.

c-town_balla
12-04-2005, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by ILS1
[BPlus,Jeremy is a classy,humble young man and comes from a great family.
[/B]

Here is somthing i have to disagree with, not the classy , that was great but humble? come on he has " The Future Golden Child" printed on the front of his visor on his helmet.

District303aPastPlayer
12-04-2005, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Wow threads really do get boring this time of the year. If people wanna give players free food, its there buisness losing money. AND if people are upset about it, well, im sorry.

its part of the uils business too :)

SintonFan_inAustin
12-04-2005, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
what i am saying is this: It is against UIL rules for student-athletes to recieve preferential treatment and/or rewards for their athletic performances. In taking what is said in the article, that rule has been violated. . . but thats just my thought on it

this would be true if the school was involved but this not school related its local buisnesses they can give free stuff if they want as long as its not sportsboosters or somehow a school run function theres no violations. So if u buy some kid(athlete) a coke, by saying its on me at a local eating placing its breaking uil rule. dont think so. if its in school ground or school function maybe then it could be.

mwynn05
12-04-2005, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
this would be true if the school was involved but this not school related its local buisnesses they can give free stuff if they want as long as its not sportsboosters or somehow a school run function theres no violations. So if u buy some kid(athlete) a coke, by saying its on me at a local eating placing its breaking uil rule. dont think so. if its in school ground or school function maybe then it could be. so it shuld be legal for a booster to hand a college player a $100 bill they're technically not associated with the school....

ILS1
12-04-2005, 02:28 AM
:D
Here is somthing i have to disagree with, not the classy , that was great but humble? come on he has " The Future Golden Child" printed on the front of his visor on his helmet.

Apparently,you've never talked to him or been around him. He's always thanking his offensive lineman after each score. So that would be 5x against Cameron today. I guess being humble and a team player is playing a video game on the sidelines while your team was battling it on the field?? If he does have that on his helmet,I bet you a MILLION bucks if his mother found out she would do something about it!!!!

un b weavable
12-04-2005, 02:29 AM
Yeah, last year Tejas (mmmmmmmm, Tejas), a little hole in the wall restaurant in cuero, want to feed the football team but coach Reeve informed us that it was against UIL rules. We were all pretty upset because the only thing better than Tejas is free Tejas.

NateDawg39
12-04-2005, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
its part of the uils business too :) Bunch a ....PUSH AROUNDS!!! GRRRRRRRRRR!!

c-town_balla
12-04-2005, 02:32 AM
Hey he was classy I meant to make a point of that in the first post but that IS on his helmet

SintonFan_inAustin
12-04-2005, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
so it shuld be legal for a booster to hand a college player a $100 bill they're technically not associated with the school....

for college that would be considered a gift and u cant even recieve money from relatives:D

Keith7
12-04-2005, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by un b weavable
Yeah, last year Tejas (mmmmmmmm, Tejas), a little hole in the wall restaurant in cuero, want to feed the football team but coach Reeve informed us that it was against UIL rules. We were all pretty upset because the only thing better than Tejas is free Tejas.

yup.. local clubs would have banquits w/ tons of food that were hosted for the football team when i was in school but everyone had to pay like $5 still to eat because of the UIL rules

ILS1
12-04-2005, 02:37 AM
Well,I guess misunderstood what you were trying to say. He's a humble young man once you actually talk to him. Once again,if it's on his helmet and his mother finds out she will do something about it.

:D

Ranger Mom
12-04-2005, 02:40 AM
Before this goes any further I am gonna go ahead and close it.

This could get WAY out of hand....and it's 1:40 in the morning and I am afraid to go to bed!!:p