PDA

View Full Version : Has the Offense Taken Over?

Bullaholic
12-03-2005, 12:32 PM
In reviewing the scores of the playoff games and many of the scores of the major "big" games during the season, it seems as if the "lid" has come off and the offenses are running "wild". I think the trend has been influenced by everybody's desires to see a lot of high-scoring games. For that reason, I think many coaches are opting for more "wide-open" offensive stategies and are incorporating it into their game plans more and more. Further, I think a lot of coaches are putting their best athletes on the offense hoping that their defenses will be able to "hold off" the other team enough for the offense to outscore their opponents. It appears that the old days of the "stiff" defense are dwindling because of the new offenses such as the "spread" and the trend to higher-scoring games. I think the days of the "7 to 0" playoff game days are behind us.

injuredinmelee
12-03-2005, 12:33 PM
I think you are right but it seems that the teams that still paly Good defense are still the ones winning the titles.

Gobbla2001
12-03-2005, 12:35 PM
A lot of Cuero's offense comes from its defense, a lot of Wimberly's offense comes from its defense...

Last week against Ingleside, Cuero's defense put up 2 TD's on INT's and picked off another one and forced fumbles, a stingy offense had good field position...

Same with LH last night, Cuero picked off some passes and got good field position etc...

I think Wimberly and Cuero's scoring starts with their defense, doesn't hurt having great offenses though...

Hupernikomen
12-03-2005, 12:35 PM
I think a lot of what you are saying is true..but I also should say that when both teams run the spread offense that means quite a few more opportunities with the ball each game, which equates into higher scores. Jasper and Gilmer scored a ton of points last year in the title game, and both of them sported outstanding athletes on both sides of the ball.

Gobbla2001
12-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
I think a lot of what you are saying is true..but I also should say that when both teams run the spread offense that means quite a few more opportunities with the ball each game, which equates into higher scores. Jasper and Gilmer scored a ton of points last year in the title game, and both of them sported outstanding athletes on both sides of the ball.

I see your point as well...

I liked the Wylie/Cuero game last year (minus the damned outcome), 17-14, defensive battle all the way... Same goes for Wimberly/Cuero in the 2nd round last year and Palestine/Cuero in the semi's last year, great defensive units on the field... low scoring games... better outcomes on those two ha...

Bullaholic
12-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
A lot of Cuero's offense comes from its defense, a lot of Wimberly's offense comes from its defense...

Last week against Ingleside, Cuero's defense put up 2 TD's on INT's and picked off another one and forced fumbles, a stingy offense had good field position...

Same with LH last night, Cuero picked off some passes and got good field position etc...

I think Wimberly and Cuero's scoring starts with their defense, doesn't hurt having great offenses though...

I agree Gobbla, but the "big" offense reality is proven by the numbers---Wimberly scored 52, and Cuero 42 last night. I think this used to be the exception in "Quarters" and above rather than the "rule".

Keith7
12-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
In reviewing the scores of the playoff games and many of the scores of the major "big" games during the season, it seems as if the "lid" has come off and the offenses are running "wild". I think the trend has been influenced by everybody's desires to see a lot of high-scoring games. For that reason, I think many coaches are opting for more "wide-open" offensive stategies and are incorporating it into their game plans more and more. Further, I think a lot of coaches are putting their best athletes on the offense hoping that their defenses will be able to "hold off" the other team enough for the offense to outscore their opponents. It appears that the old days of the "stiff" defense are dwindling because of the new offenses such as the "spread" and the trend to higher-scoring games. I think the days of the "7 to 0" playoff game days are behind us.

I think alot of it comes from the spread offenses that everyone seems to run now.. These offenses can be very confusing for defenses, and spread out the field creating more running lanes for players.. Games between 2 spread offenses seem to sometimes turn into shootouts

SintonFan_inAustin
12-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Run the ball, drain the clock method was reason for low scoring games, offenses had the ball less times than the spread offense where there are more passes and incs to stop the clock.

Hupernikomen
12-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
I think alot of it comes from the spread offenses that everyone seems to run now.. These offenses can be very confusing for defenses, and spread out the field creating more running lanes for players.. Games between 2 spread offenses seem to sometimes turn into shootouts

Especially since the spread seems to be quick strike offenses..i don't know how many times last few years I have seen Jasper and other spread teams score on 1 or 2 plays. That means more opportunities to have the ball. In the old days you rarely got the ball more than a handful of times in a game.

Bullaholic
12-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Yes, and tie games were decided by "penetrations". This backs up about your saying that each "O" only got the ball just a few times a game-- hence the reward for "penetrations". I sure like the "shootout" from the "25" overtime system we have now, better. It was just "horrible in the "old" days to lose on "penetrations".

GreenMonster
12-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Offense wins games, but Defense wins Championships. That old saying continues to ring true.

jmcgee
12-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Sweetwaters Defense beat Monahans last night.