gobblerfan02
12-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Gobbling 'em up
No. 1 Cuero continues playoff run by whipping Liberty Hill 42-14
E-mail Story to a Friend Printer Friendly
December 3, 2005

MIKE FORMAN
Advocate Sports Writer

BUDA - Cuero's J.T. Rudd is the first to admit that practice can often be a grind, but he wasn't complaining Friday night at Bob Shelton Stadium.

Cuero's Alfred McKinney (32), above, and a host of other defenders converge on a Liberty Hill ball carrier during Friday night's 42-14 Class 3A, Division II regional playoff victory by the Gobblers in Buda. Below, Cuero's Latrael Cooper (21), who had two touchdown runs, finds running room during the first half.

"We condition every day for games like this," Rudd said. "It paid off tonight."

Cuero jumped out to a 21-0 lead before gutting its way to a 42-14 Class 3A, Division II regional playoff win over Liberty Hill.

"I thought my shoulder might fall off," said Rudd, who was on the field for virtually every snap until late in the fourth quarter. "It was intense. That's all I can say is it was intense out there."

The Gobblers used three touchdown runs by Fabian Olguin and two by Latrael Cooper to go along with a Kyle Noack touchdown pass to Justin Wesley to outlast the Panthers (10-3) and improve to 13-0.

Cuero advanced to the semifinals against the winner of tonight's Cameron Yoe-Hutto game, which will be played at the Round Rock ISD Stadium. The semifinal game is likely to be played at either Farris or Comalander Stadium in San Antonio.

The Gobblers needed the big lead and three interceptions to stave off a Liberty Hill rushing attack that produced 339 yards and touchdown runs of 10 yards by Craig Burns in the second quarter and 1 yard by quarterback Brent Bode to cap an 18-play, 99-yard drive in the fourth quarter.

"In the 34 years that I've been coaching, that's the best I've ever seen anybody run that offense," Cuero coach Mark Reeve said of Liberty Hill's slot-T. "They stick it up in there. Just look at their stats. We go both ways, so for us to come back and win the fourth quarter was big for us."

Cuero took a three-touchdown lead on a 16-yard touchdown run by Olguin, who had 116 yards on 14 carries, a 16-yard touchdown run by Cooper, who had 83 yards on nine carries, and Noack's 58-yard pass to Wesley, who also had an interception.

"We took over the turnover battle and took advantage of that," Wesley said. "That's what you need to do in big ballgames."

"We did win the turnover battle," Reeve added. "That helped us get the lead. I thought we ran the ball well and threw the ball well."

Wesley and Domingo Ruiz had first-half interceptions setting up one score, and Tre Gray's interception in the fourth quarter led to another touchdown.

Cuero had the ball for only five plays in the third quarter and 10 plays in the fourth quarter, but used touchdown runs of 34 yards by Olguin and 1 yard by Cooper in the fourth quarter to put the game away.

Despite playing without running back Casey Kociuba, who injured his knee in last week's win over Devine, Liberty Hill kept pounding away at the Cuero defense and had 19 rushing first downs. But the Panthers were unable to complete a pass.

The Gobblers stopped Liberty Hill on downs at the Cuero 13 to start the third quarter. Gray's interception stopped another Liberty Hill drive before the Cuero offense struck back.

"It was a battle out there," Rudd said. "I'm real proud of our defense."

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

Rushing - Liberty Hill, Matt Escamilla 14-116; Sammy Post 18-90; Craig Burns 13-78; Brent Bode 14-55. Cuero, Fabian Olguin 12-115; Latrael Cooper 9-83; Kyle Noack 5-43; Stephon Hargrove 1-5; Patrick Bell 1-(-1).

Passing - Liberty Hill, Bode 0-8-3 0; Thomas Perrin 0-1-0 0; Escamilla 0-1-0 0. Cuero, Noack 10-12 136.

Receiving - Cuero, Justin Wesley 3-85; Tre Gray 5-29; Quincey Whittington 2-22.

3afan
12-03-2005, 11:07 AM
what did everone think of Hays' stadium?

Gobbla2001
12-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by 3afan

I liked it... getting out of the parking was a mess because of people having to cross the road, but it is a nice venue to catch a playoff game...

gobblerfan02
12-03-2005, 11:10 AM
what did everone think of Hays' stadium? It was an awesome stadium, but in the middle of pastures? I had to take a county road just to get there. Thats freakin awesome!!! I didn't think it would be that huge, but all the Cuero people could fit at least, well, most of them anyway!

Does anyone wanna say which crowd was the loudest....I couldn't tell!

LH Panther Mom
12-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
Does anyone wanna say which crowd was the loudest....I couldn't tell!

I'll let you know when I get my voice back. ;)

gobbler grad
12-03-2005, 11:20 AM

got there very early, so parking was great...sat high and seats had a back rest and plenty of room...really enjoyed it

gobbler grad
12-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
Gobbling 'em up
No. 1 Cuero continues playoff run by whipping Liberty Hill 42-14
E-mail Story to a Friend Printer Friendly
December 3, 2005

MIKE FORMAN
Advocate Sports Writer

BUDA - Cuero's J.T. Rudd is the first to admit that practice can often be a grind, but he wasn't complaining Friday night at Bob Shelton Stadium.

Cuero's Alfred McKinney (32), above, and a host of other defenders converge on a Liberty Hill ball carrier during Friday night's 42-14 Class 3A, Division II regional playoff victory by the Gobblers in Buda. Below, Cuero's Latrael Cooper (21), who had two touchdown runs, finds running room during the first half.

"We condition every day for games like this," Rudd said. "It paid off tonight."

Cuero jumped out to a 21-0 lead before gutting its way to a 42-14 Class 3A, Division II regional playoff win over Liberty Hill.

"I thought my shoulder might fall off," said Rudd, who was on the field for virtually every snap until late in the fourth quarter. "It was intense. That's all I can say is it was intense out there."

The Gobblers used three touchdown runs by Fabian Olguin and two by Latrael Cooper to go along with a Kyle Noack touchdown pass to Justin Wesley to outlast the Panthers (10-3) and improve to 13-0.

Cuero advanced to the semifinals against the winner of tonight's Cameron Yoe-Hutto game, which will be played at the Round Rock ISD Stadium. The semifinal game is likely to be played at either Farris or Comalander Stadium in San Antonio.

The Gobblers needed the big lead and three interceptions to stave off a Liberty Hill rushing attack that produced 339 yards and touchdown runs of 10 yards by Craig Burns in the second quarter and 1 yard by quarterback Brent Bode to cap an 18-play, 99-yard drive in the fourth quarter.

"In the 34 years that I've been coaching, that's the best I've ever seen anybody run that offense," Cuero coach Mark Reeve said of Liberty Hill's slot-T. "They stick it up in there. Just look at their stats. We go both ways, so for us to come back and win the fourth quarter was big for us."

Cuero took a three-touchdown lead on a 16-yard touchdown run by Olguin, who had 116 yards on 14 carries, a 16-yard touchdown run by Cooper, who had 83 yards on nine carries, and Noack's 58-yard pass to Wesley, who also had an interception.

"We took over the turnover battle and took advantage of that," Wesley said. "That's what you need to do in big ballgames."

"We did win the turnover battle," Reeve added. "That helped us get the lead. I thought we ran the ball well and threw the ball well."

Wesley and Domingo Ruiz had first-half interceptions setting up one score, and Tre Gray's interception in the fourth quarter led to another touchdown.

Cuero had the ball for only five plays in the third quarter and 10 plays in the fourth quarter, but used touchdown runs of 34 yards by Olguin and 1 yard by Cooper in the fourth quarter to put the game away.

Despite playing without running back Casey Kociuba, who injured his knee in last week's win over Devine, Liberty Hill kept pounding away at the Cuero defense and had 19 rushing first downs. But the Panthers were unable to complete a pass.

The Gobblers stopped Liberty Hill on downs at the Cuero 13 to start the third quarter. Gray's interception stopped another Liberty Hill drive before the Cuero offense struck back.

"It was a battle out there," Rudd said. "I'm real proud of our defense."

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

Rushing - Liberty Hill, Matt Escamilla 14-116; Sammy Post 18-90; Craig Burns 13-78; Brent Bode 14-55. Cuero, Fabian Olguin 12-115; Latrael Cooper 9-83; Kyle Noack 5-43; Stephon Hargrove 1-5; Patrick Bell 1-(-1).

Passing - Liberty Hill, Bode 0-8-3 0; Thomas Perrin 0-1-0 0; Escamilla 0-1-0 0. Cuero, Noack 10-12 136.

Receiving - Cuero, Justin Wesley 3-85; Tre Gray 5-29; Quincey Whittington 2-22.

here's the pic that goes with it...

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/ips_rich_content/Gobblerr_02_sm.jpg

Gobbla2001
12-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by gobbler grad

Somebody get some white-out and fill in Adams' stripe...

SintonFan_inAustin
12-03-2005, 11:29 AM

can u find the lh player in this picture:)

Gobbla2001
12-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
can u find the lh player in this picture:)

The funny thing is that the guy getting tackled may not even be the ball-runner haha... that offense is tricky...

gobbler grad
12-03-2005, 11:33 AM
well, if he didn't have it...there's 6 gobblers on the wrong man...i'm sure that ball is in there somewhere...:thinking:

HM33
12-03-2005, 11:39 AM
How bout' dem Gobblas. :)

eagles_victory
12-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'll let you know when I get my voice back. ;)
You have got about 8 months.:D

Gobbla2001
12-03-2005, 11:45 AM
I think the Liberty Hill fans were as loud as they could be... that's all you can ask for, they have great fans...

44INAROW
12-03-2005, 12:01 PM
There are 2 really good pictures on the american statesmen site - one of JT (chubbed up #36) and another of Coop (Latreal Cooper #21) - if anyone can get it to save to a document, please share how :)

District303aPastPlayer
12-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
There are 2 really good pictures on the american statesmen site - one of JT (chubbed up #36) and another of Coop (Latreal Cooper #21) - if anyone can get it to save to a document, please share how :)

they played a great game last night. . . :)

44INAROW
12-03-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
they played a great game last night. . . :)

yes they did..... Congrats to all the guys...... by the way, I saw you down there in the stands firing the crowd up - you sure looked good in the Green and White T Shirt :D

Gobbla2001
12-03-2005, 12:22 PM
This is a great quote by the LH coach I found in one of the LH articles:

"Cuero's big and fast, but they go to the bathroom just like the rest of us," Vance told his players before a midweek workout. "

That is great

Statesman photo:

chubbed_up trying to haul in a pass just off of his fingertips
http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/09/05/11/image_2011059.jpg

Couldn't find the Coop photo online... I'll keep looking

UTSAstudent
12-03-2005, 12:23 PM
well the stadium was awsome, the gobblers were awsome, and the whoopen was awsome...u gatta love them gobblers...all i wanna know is when does the real season start...LH sure was overrated....keep on winning gobblers

gobbler grad
12-03-2005, 12:30 PM
good to see all the guys and gals at the M&G last night...met some new faces and had a good time...can't wait to see pics...:thinking:

SintonFan_inAustin
12-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by UTSAstudent
well the stadium was awsome, the gobblers were awsome, and the whoopen was awsome...u gatta love them gobblers...all i wanna know is when does the real season start...LH sure was overrated....keep on winning gobblers

show some respect to other teams, they played there best but just were overmatched by a very good Cuero team and stop saying when the real season starts cause the Gobblers have played some good to very good teams the past few weeks.

44INAROW
12-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

"Cuero's big and fast, but they go to the bathroom just like the rest of us," Vance told his players before a midweek workout. "

That is great

Statesman photo:

Gobbla - right next to the link that you click to go to the article is one that says PHOTO - there are 5 of themm

District303aPastPlayer
12-03-2005, 12:41 PM
yes they did..... Congrats to all the guys...... by the way, I saw you down there in the stands firing the crowd up - you sure looked good in the Green and White T Shirt :D

to quote my ringtone:

"Oh i think they like me"

even when i peeled off the green and white to reveal my Sinton Pirate shirt :)

Gobbla2001
12-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Gobbla - right next to the link that you click to go to the article is one that says PHOTO - there are 5 of themm

Do you subscribe to it online or something? I don't see that PHOTO deal ha

Bullaholic
12-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
to quote my ringtone:

"Oh i think they like me"

even when i peeled off the green and white to reveal my Sinton Pirate shirt :)

Good for you, D303. If anybody had a problem with that Sinton attire--tell em' what I say to folks when I wear my Bulls attire to a playoff game---"Well, I could be sitting over THERE pulling for THEM you know."

44INAROW
12-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Do you subscribe to it online or something? I don't see that PHOTO deal ha

I found the pictures on the HOME page not the SPORTS page - right next to the score on the HOME page in the top right hand side - click on PHOTOS next to the score

Gobbla2001
12-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Yah, won't let you copy 'em or anything (maybe I just don't have hacking skills or something)...

But here is the link to 3 LH/Cuero pictures and two Lufkin/Cove pictures:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/photos/120305hsfootball/index.html

KingRob
12-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Congratulations to the Cuero Gobblers on a great win as they march to state.

Appreciate the pics! I love to see pics...give me more pics!!:D

LH Panther Mom
12-03-2005, 01:20 PM
good to see all the guys and gals at the M&G last night...met some new faces and had a good time...can't wait to see pics...:thinking:

They're up. If I have anyone's s/n incorrect, please let me know and I'll fix it.

gobblerfan02
12-03-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
They're up. If I have anyone's s/n incorrect, please let me know and I'll fix it. Ha, i was still chewing gum in that pic!

99IHSMustang
12-03-2005, 01:25 PM
I grabbed the images for you guys so we could have them in the thread.. Here they are

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3088/thomasrudd3uk.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1148/latrael1sv.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

44INAROW
12-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Thanks 99 - wish I had a camera that could take pics like that :)

gobblerfan02
12-03-2005, 01:36 PM
Thanks 99 - wish I had a camera that could take pics like that :) Me too, hey 44, are you headed to round rock today?

99IHSMustang
12-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Ok now that's better... Gah I feel like such an idiot... now the pics are much bigger... lol

99IHSMustang
12-03-2005, 01:58 PM
Where there is a will there is a way to get pics from any website... lol

LH Panther Mom
12-03-2005, 01:58 PM

That is great

Statesman photo:

I loved this picture. :) Schrock isn't a big kid by any means, but compared to Rudd, he's itty bitty. The picture almost looks like it was staged if you look at the folks in the background.....they look like they're all just watching the action. I wish I had this camera.

44INAROW
12-03-2005, 02:37 PM
LHPM - #21 (Freshman I believe) played a heck of a ballgame - I am sure he's going to be a force to reckon with for the next 3 years to come :)

KingRob
12-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Keep them pics coming!

44IAR, maybe a little hint to the man of the house could get you a nice digital for next season. Tell him I would really appreciate it, and we all know how good you have been this year!:D :cool: ;)

44INAROW
12-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by KingRob
Keep them pics coming!

44IAR, maybe a little hint to the man of the house could get you a nice digital for next season. Tell him I would really appreciate it, and we all know how good you have been this year!:D :cool: ;)

I think he's rec'd the hint loud and clear...... now I just gotta figure out which one I want lol:D

LH Panther Mom
12-03-2005, 02:55 PM
LHPM - #21 (Freshman I believe) played a heck of a ballgame - I am sure he's going to be a force to reckon with for the next 3 years to come :)

He's definitely a play maker. Imagine watching him as a running back. I think there might still be kids sporting bruises from him running the ball down their throats in junior high. ;)

LHMom
12-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by KingRob
Keep them pics coming!

We have a local photographer who will have pictures from the game posted on her web-site. The pics from Friday night probably won't be up till Monday or Tuesday. Site is www.abarw.com. You can order copies from her if there are any you like. Check it out.