PDA

View Full Version : Tatum/Canton story (DMN)

3afan
12-03-2005, 06:39 AM
Roundup: Tatum frustrates Canton, 45-21

12:09 AM CST on Saturday, December 3, 2005
From Staff Reports

TYLER – Tatum muscled its way past a frustrated Canton, 45-21, in a Class 3A Division II Region II final before a crowd of 13,000 at Trinity Mary Francis Rose Stadium.

Canton (12-2), which reached a school-best playoff round, was called for four fourth-quarter personal fouls and allowed two touchdowns in the final four minutes after trailing by only 10 points.

Tatum (13-0), which ousted Madison last week, meets Sweetwater (13-1) in the state semifinals next week.

Coming off a dramatic rally to defeat defending state champ Gilmer last week, Canton kept rallying against Tatum after falling behind 14-0 on Tatum's first two possessions.

Canton pulled within 24-21 on a 24-yard touchdown catch by Michael Prox from quarterback G.J. Kinne. Canton stayed close on acrobatic scoring catches from Prox, Casey Bell for 27 yards and Houston Tuminello for 13.

Tatum responded with a 70-yard touchdown pass less than 15 seconds later as Chance Blackmon broke free down the sideline and caught a pass about 30 yards out from quarterback Cashas Pollard.

After Tatum's Teo Freeney threw his third interception at the 7, Canton lost a fumble, and Canton drew penalties for late hits and throwing officials' flags.

In the last three minutes, Tatum added a 30-yard scoring run as junior Lennon Creer bulled over Canton tacklers to get into the end zone, and senior Daylon McCoy returned an interception 45 yards for a score.

injuredinmelee
12-03-2005, 07:30 AM
thats what you call frustration.

Aesculus gilmus
12-03-2005, 08:26 AM
I listened to this game on the radio. Canton's "Cinderella" season ended, and the coach they rode in on turned into a pumpkin. It got real ugly at the end. Two of Canton's players were ejected. They were outmanned and outclassed by Tatum.

Well, Coach Pumpkinhead has already had far worse befall him this year and survived, so I'm sure he'll be all right once he has adjusted to his new appearance.

I have been underestimating Tatum all season. It's time for me to give them their props.:clap:

lostaussie
12-03-2005, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
I listened to this game on the radio. Canton's "Cinderella" season ended, and the coach they rode in on turned into a pumpkin. It got real ugly at the end. Two of Canton's players were ejected. They were outmanned and outclassed by Tatum.

Well, Coach Pumpkinhead has already had far worse befall him this year and survived, so I'm sure he'll be all right once he has adjusted to his new appearance.

I have been underestimating Tatum all season. It's time for me to give them their props.:clap: I AGREE WHOLE HEARTIDLY WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAID:D

Aesculus gilmus
12-03-2005, 10:57 AM
I just had the thought that there might be some documentary filmmaker following the Canton team on a day-by-day basis the way there was with Celina a few years back.

If so, this just screwed up the ending to his "Cinderella story" documentary beyond all recognition.

BTW, lostaussie, I first typed the above as a reply to the "End of the Tatum - Canton Game" thread on Smoaky.com, but found the thread locked already as I went to post it. I understand why it happened. Smoak is just showing he is serious about enforcing his new "zero tolerance" policy on criticism of coaches.