PDA

View Full Version : Perryton coach retires

Da Mules
12-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Longtime Perryton football coach and former Ranger player Gary Newcomb announced his retirement on Thursday. He submitted his letter of resignation earlier in the week and the Perryton school board accepted it late Thursday.
"I'm retiring," Newcomb said. "I don't know what I'll be doing on Friday nights but I can tell you where I won't be and that's in the Laz-E-Boy. I've been here a long time and we've had a lot of fine teams. It's time to help pass the torch to somebody else and let them experience the joy too. You can't spend your whole life in the same job. It's time to let somebody else take over."

Newcomb, 60, coached at Perryton 21 years, including the last eight as the head coach. This season, the Rangers finished 7-5 and advanced to the Class 3A Division II area playoffs before losing to Monahans, 34-21, in the area round.

He finishes his career with a record of 113-66. Perryton made the playoffs all eight seasons Newcomb was at the helm and won three straight District 1-3A titles in 2001, 2002 and 2003. He led the Rangers to the state semifinals for the second time in school history in 2001 before losing to eventual state champion Everman, 36-6.