gobblerfan02
12-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Well tested
Preseason scrimmages should prepare Cuero for Liberty Hill
E-mail Story to a Friend Printer Friendly
December 2, 2005

MIKE FORMAN
Advocate Sports Writer

CUERO - Scrimmages might be long forgotten at this point of the season but that isn't the case for Cuero.

Cuero coach Mark Reeve and the Gobblers face Liberty Hill in a Class 3A, Division II quarterfinal playoff game today at 7:30 p.m. at Bob Shelton Stadium in Buda.

Cuero coach Mark Reeve purposely scheduled scrimmages against Lockhart and Gregory-Portland so the Gobblers would get a chance to play against teams based out of the wing-T or slot-T offensive formations.

The experience paid off when Cuero faced Llano in the Class 3A, Division II area playoffs. The Gobblers (12-0) get their next test against a team running the slot-T offense when they meet Liberty Hill (10-2) in a quarterfinal game today at 7:30 p.m. at Bob Shelton Stadium on the campus of Hays Consolidated in Buda.

"There's no question that playing Llano has helped us," Reeve said. "We felt the same way about our two scrimmages. We were terrible against Lockhart, did better against Gregory-Portland, and better against Llano. We've done even better this week as far as preparation."

Liberty Hill has averaged 49.2 points and 416.5 yards per game. The Panthers have rushed for 4,641 of their 4,998 total yards and have scored 50 or more points in seven games.

"They have a lot of experience running their offense," Reeve said. "They do a good job of making adjustments if you try to cheat one way. They have four threats running the football and they can all stick it in the end zone."

Liberty Hill lost a non-district game to Burnet (63-34) and dropped a 23-9 District 27-3A decision to Wimberley. The Panthers have taken playoff wins over Lytle (62-7), Needville (34-20), and Devine (21-17).

"They're very mechanical," Cuero defensive end J.T. Rudd said. "They take care of what they need to do and they're very consistent."

The Panthers have also been opportunistic, scoring two touchdowns against Devine after turnovers and preserving the win with an interception at their 4-yard line late in the fourth quarter.

"They've kind of feasted on turnovers and they've gotten a lot of them," Reeve said. "They do a good job of making adjustments to what you do. They try to play their kids on one side of the ball until you get down to the 20 and then they bring their best kids in. These guys play good goal-line defense and that's been a big key for them."

Cuero hopes to test Liberty Hill's goal-line defense with an offense that has averaged 46.3 points per game in playoff wins over Sweeny, Llano, and Ingleside.

"They like to blitz," Cuero running back Fabian Olguin said of the Panthers defense. "What we have to do is stop their defensive line and safeties from penetrating our line. I have confidence in our offensive line's ability to do the job."

The Gobblers continued to show good balance on offense in last week's 56-17 win over Ingleside. Cuero rushed for 147 yards and passed for 140 and the defense and special teams helped out with seven turnovers, including two interception returns for touchdowns.

"We're getting up for everyone and we're playing our best ballgames right now," Reeve said. "We know we're facing our best opponent every week."

Reeve isn't surprised to see Liberty Hill standing in the way of Cuero advancing to the semifinals against the winner of the Cameron Yoe-Hutto game, which is scheduled for Saturday at 7 p.m. at Round Rock ISD Stadium.

"We figured they would be there in this round," Reeve said. "Devine had a good team, but this is who we expected to play."

Liberty Hill has played a team from Cuero's district in each of the past three seasons. The Panthers lost to Yoakum in the 2002 area playoffs before defeating Yoakum in the 2003 and 2004 area rounds and beating Hallettsville in last year's quarterfinals.

"We know they've eliminated teams from our district the last two years," Rudd said. "We want to break that streak."

NOTES: Cuero will be the home team...Tickets at the gate will be $9...Liberty Hill running back Casey Kociuba left the Devine game after hurting his knee in the first quarter and his status for today's game is unclear...The game will be broadcast on KZAM, 104.7 FM and Web cast on www.lonestarfm.com

whtfbplaya
12-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Cuero by 24

Gobbla2001
12-02-2005, 01:25 PM
Did you happen to see the picture from this article?

Was that kid choking or did someone say a bad word and he covered his mouth in shock? :confused: :doh:

un b weavable
12-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
Cuero by 24

I second that.

44INAROW
12-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by un b weavable
I second that.

what's for supper?

LH Panther Mom
12-02-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
what's for supper?

Turkey :D :D :D

Sorry 44, you left yourself wide open. ;)

44INAROW
12-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Turkey :D :D :D

Sorry 44, you left yourself wide open. ;)

YES I DID - :D
ya'll try not to have too much fun at my expense :D :D husband is literally tapping his foot waiting on me........ adios all :)

injuredinmelee
12-02-2005, 06:32 PM
GO GOBBLERS!!!

whtfbplaya
12-02-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by un b weavable
I second that.

Good call