PDA

View Full Version : Gainesville faces fastest team yet..

Keith7
12-02-2005, 02:40 AM
Leopards meet fastest team they have faced
By MARVIN HOGAN, Register Sports Editor

Fast. Or maybe fast, faster and fastest. That is how Gainesville Head Coach Jeff Cordell said he would describe Texarkana Liberty-Eylau's Leopards.

Gainesville meets Liberty-Eylau at 8 p.m. Saturday, at Texas Stadium, in one half of the Class 3A Division I state football playoffs.

Gainesville will be the home team at Texas Stadium.

In the other bracket, West Orange-Stark, who many pick to win the state title, meets Wimberley.

The Wimberley-WO-S game will be played at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Katy's Rhodes Stadium.

The winner of these two games will meet for the Division I state title next week.

“I would use one word to describe their (Liberty-Eylau) entire team,” Cordell said Tuesday morning, “and that would be ‘fast.'”

Cordell said the team from East Texas is as fast, or in some cases faster than Gainesville.

“We have to contain that speed,” Cordell said, “If we have any chance to win.”

The Gainesville coach said the L-E Leopards have two vary good offensive backs. Michael Reed (5-7, 175, 4.5) and Lamichael James have combined for 1,967 rushing this season.

“They have one (Reed),” he said, “they got back from injury last week.”

According to Texarkana Gazette and Daily News reporter Louie Avery, James is injured and may not play this week.

Liberty-Eylau is 10-2 on the season, having lost to Class 4A Mount Pleasant 28-18 and to District 14-3A foe New Boston 41-14.

“They had a bunch of people hurt against New Boston,” Avery said.

When talking about the Liberty-Eylau offense, Cordell said its quarterback is the key.

“The quarterback (Will Middlebrooks, 6-2, 195, 4.6 speed in the 40 yard dash),” doesn't throw very often,” Cordell said.

Cordell said when Middlebrooks does throw, he does it very well.

For the season he has completed 64 of 128 passes for 1,142 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Middlebrooks also has thrown seven interceptions.

His favorite receiver is Phillip Blackwell, who has caught 31 passes for 755 yards and eight touchdowns.

If the Leopards have any weak spot, Avery said, it is the offensive line.

“Their best lineman is Ryan Bean (6-1, 180 So.) who is the center.

On defense, the L-E Leopards remind him of his own team, Cordell said.

“They look a lot like us defensively,” he said. “They have 11 hats (helmets) around the ball.”

Liberty-Eylau will show the Leopards more than one defensive look, Cordell said.

“They will change their look,” he said, “depending on what type of formation we are running on the play.

“They will give us an odd man or even man front, depending on what we do.”

Defensively Liberty-Eylau has a strong run defense. The East Texas Leopards have given up only an average of 135 yards rushing per game.

Their best defensive play in linebacker Stephen DeGrate (6-2, 220), who had 106 tackles.

Noseguard Devin Bush has 72 tackles.

Middlebrooks is the punter, as well and the kicker.

He has punted 29 times for an average of 43 yards per kick.

His longest kick this year is 64 yards.

Middlebrooks has hit eight field goals with his longest being 43 yards.

Txbroadcaster
12-02-2005, 02:58 AM
That was kinda what I said on the thread about the game. All these people picking Gainesville with no clue about LE. Again I think Gainesville should be the favorite, but it will not be a blow out.

BTW Blackwell is a fun guy to watch at WR.

I cannot wait to broadcast this game. Of the three Saturday this might be the best game ON THE FIELD.

3afan
12-02-2005, 05:23 AM
what 3 games is TXPN going to carry ???? didnt say on the web site

LE FAN
12-02-2005, 01:21 PM
I know coaches usually say things like that against their opponets, but somehow i get the feeling that Coach Cordell was sincere. I know he was right on the money. He is a class act. Hope to give you a good game Coach Cordell

Txbroadcaster
12-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
what 3 games is TXPN going to carry ???? didnt say on the web site

http://www.texashsfootball.com/playoffs/news05/passplayplayoffsaturday.htm

BAck at my favorite place this year Texas Stadium