PDA

View Full Version : Monahans-Sweetwater article...

panther power
12-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Head coaches at Sweetwater, Monahans aren’t surprised to be facing each other
By Sam Waller
Odessa American

Sweetwater’s Kent Jackson probably would prefer a little lower profile matchup for his first attempt at getting his 100th career coaching win.
The former Odessa High assistant, who coached the Bronchos’ 1992 state championship track team, is 99-41-1 in his 12th season as a head football coach. For the third time in his five years at Sweetwater, he has the Mustangs in the Class 3A Division II quarterfinals.
But when Jackson and his team, ranked No. 8 in the state in Class 3A, take the field Friday at Grande Communications Stadium in Midland, he will be facing a good friend in Monahans boss Mickey Owens.
“There’s such a sense of respect,” Jackson said. “Mickey knows how I feel about him.”
And Jackson has been telling the folks in Sweetwater what they can expect to see from the Loboes for some time.
“Our booster club meets every Friday at noon and I’ve been telling them since way back in the year,” he said. “I saw (Monahans) on tape against Andrews and I watched about eight plays of that game and told our coaches sitting in the office with me that Mickey’s given them their identity back. They were just so physical.”
But that’s nothing new to Jackson, whose awareness of the Loboes goes way back.
“When I was growing up in Seminole, what I remembered about Monahans was regardless of what else happened you knew you were fixing to get hit and that they were always going to get after you,” he said. “That showed (in the Andrews game film). It was just so obvious. It had Mickey’s thumbprint all over it.”
For his part, Owens said his relationship with Jackson doesn’t make this week any easier.
“But it’s a lot more fun when you know the guy across from you,” he said. “You know how his kids are going to play. It’s going to be a hard-fought game, we know that. They’re going to play with a lot of emotion because that’s the way Coach Jackson coaches. They’re going to be very disciplined. They play a lot like we do. I think he has the same characteristics coaching and he’s just a great guy.
“You know it’s going to be a clean game. There’s not going to be any talking or things like that. They run a pretty tight ship over there and Kent’s just a good, Christian man that I respect a bunch in our profession.”
Among those anticipating the game is Iraan head coach Joe Willis, who spent five years as an assistant to Jackson at Olney and Sweetwater.
“It’s going to be a nailbiter the whole way,” said Willis, who spent three seasons as offensive coordinator at Sweetwater before taking over the Braves program last year. “Both of those coaches have great coaching staffs around them and have done a great job of assembling those staffs.
“I think the world, of course, of Kent. He’s a class act. Mickey’s a good friend of mine. It’s hard to pull one way or the other, but you’ve got to love a great, old West Texas matchup like that.”
While they have known each other for years, Friday’s game will be only the second time Jackson and Owens have squared off as head coaches.
The other meeting came in 2001, when Owens was in his first season at Ballinger and Jackson in his first with the Mustangs, in a District 5-3A contest.
“We were both kind of trying to get our systems in and we won 28-26 in Ballinger,” Owens said. “After that, he got to rolling.”
Despite the loss, Sweetwater went on to make the playoffs after missing the two previous years. The Mustangs haven’t missed since, and have gone at least three rounds deep each of the last four years.
But in the Loboes, Sweetwater faces a team that already has one playoff win over a top 10 team, having beaten No. 9 Snyder in bi-district.
“We tell our kids those are the groups that you want to play because you’re going to be better for it,” said Jackson, whose team beat Snyder 17-6 in District 4-3A play. “You can’t guarantee you’re going to win every ballgame against people like that, but you’re going to be a better football team and a better program for playing them. Mickey knows that’s the way I feel about him.”

STANG RED
12-01-2005, 04:23 PM
Here is an article in todays Sweetwater Reporter

Mustangs, Loboes vie for Region I-3A crown

By RON HOWELL/Reporter Sports Editor
It took fourth-quarter rallies plus overtime for both Sweet-water and Monahans to reach the fourth round of the Class 3A playoffs. And that's just one of many similiarities between the two squads.

Both have explosive offenses that are centered around a pair of top-flight running backs, yet can be deadly through the air as well. Sweetwater (12-1) has av-eraged 36.3 points and Mona-hans (13-0) has a 35-point average in the playoffs.

On defense, both teams - who were members of the same Class 4A district for many years in the 1980s and early ‘90s - haven't exactly been stingy. In fact, the Mustangs and Loboes have allowed at least 20 points in all three of their playoff contests. But their respective units have made the plays when they had to make them.

Sweetwater and Monahans have also faced five common foes - Merkel, Andrews, Pe-cos, Greenwood and Snyder - with similar results. The Mus-tangs have defeated those five teams, including Greenwood twice, by an average of just under 30 points and Monahans has an average winning margin of 21 points.

The only close call for both came against Snyder, which lost to Monahans 28-21 in the first round of the playoffs and fell to Sweetwater 17-6 during the regular season.

Each team is also making its second playoff trip to Midland's Grande Communications Sta-dium. Monahans' win against Snyder came at Midland, and Sweetwater defeated Littlefield 38-20 on the same field the following week in the area round.

This will be the first time the Mustangs and Loboes have met to decide the Region I-3A title. But they met in the Region 1-4A final in 1984, with Sweet-water winning 29-16.

A win at 7:30 p.m. Friday would be the 100th of Mustang coach Kent Jackson's career. Jackson, who is 99-41-1 overall, is aware of the great history surrounding these teams.

“They (Monahans) have a great tradition and pride in their program just like we do, and it's been revitalized this year,” he said.

Jackson has taken note of the many other similarities be-tween the teams as well. “They rely very much on their run-ning game and controlling the clock, but they have been very opportunistic with their passing,” he said. “They are coming off an overtime win. They were outsized against Bridgeport like we were against Iowa Park and they were behind in the fourth quarter. It says a lot about their resiliency, and about the pride they take in doing things well.”

Sweetwater proved its resil-iency against Iowa Park by go-ing to the air for three of its four touchdowns, equalling the number of TD passes the Mus-tangs had thrown in their first 12 games due to the dominance of their running attack featuring two 1,000-yard backs, Skye Green and Joseph Banyard. Al-though Banyard had 114 yards rushing against the Hawks, the only rushing touchdown came on quarterback Kendal Carril-lo's 1-yard run in overtime. The QB tandem of Sonny Birdwell and Carrillo threw for 85 yards.

smustangs
12-01-2005, 05:09 PM
what an awesome tandem of coaches. the thing that is even more awesome is the fact that Coach Jackson is a man of renouned character. The fact that he respects Coach Owens speaks monumental about that man. That in and of itself is a compliment. You may find (if you search far and wide) a better football coach, but you couldn't find a better man to lead a bunch of young men on the football field....or in life. I look forward to a hard-fighting and clean-played football game.

Lets continue to pray for protection over the boys during these last few weeks of THE GREATEST FOOTBALL IN THE UNIVERSE!!!