PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Medical Advice for Tonsillitis

Buccaneer
12-01-2005, 01:55 PM
My 17 yr old son has had 3 serious bouts with tonsillitis in the last 2 months. The ENT surgeon said surgery would cause him to miss a week of school while recovering and he would probably miss basketball 10-14 days!

Has anyone else had any experience with tonsillitis! I would love to find an alternative to surgery and/or a homeopathic treatment to alleviate the problem. Any suggestion for a treatment to boost his immune system? Thanks

zeus63
12-01-2005, 01:59 PM
I would seriously do what the doctor says. Sports are secondary to health. Better to miss 10-14 nows, than 3 or 4 months later.

Ranger Mom
12-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
My 17 yr old son has had 3 serious bouts with tonsillitis in the last 2 months. The ENT surgeon said surgery would cause him to miss a week of school while recovering and he would probably miss basketball 10-14 days!

Has anyone else had any experience with tonsillitis! I would love to find an alternative to surgery and/or a homeopathic treatment to alleviate the problem. Any suggestion for a treatment to boost his immune system? Thanks

I had a son who had chronic tonsillitis....I finally found a Dr. who would take them out. Best thing we EVER did!

He is 17 now, 15 when we did the surgery. He hasn't been sick again, other than the common cold, etc.

I had mine taken out when I was 13. Tonsils are there to block infection....but some don't seem to work right and trap infection instead. If they have been recommended to be removed, I would have them removed.

It is hard these days to find a Dr. who will even do that surgery.....there is "criteria" the patient has to meet!

shankbear
12-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Rip em out!!!!!!!

handNthedirt
12-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Cut 'em.

pero chato
12-01-2005, 02:08 PM
These type of infections can also harm the heart. He needs to have them taken out now. I waited until I was 26 and thought it was going to kill me--out of work for a week and no excercising for three or four weeks.

Ranger Mom
12-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by pero chato
These type of infections can also harm the heart. He needs to have them taken out now. I waited until I was 26 and thought it was going to kill me--out of work for a week and no excercising for three or four weeks.

I agree...Drs don't normally recommend taking them out anymore.

When they DO recommend it, there is a reason!

At least it's outpatient surgery now...I had to stay in the hospital for 2 days, back in the day!:)

AP Panther Fan
12-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by zeus63
I would seriously do what the doctor says. Sports are secondary to health. Better to miss 10-14 nows, than 3 or 4 months later.

Good advice....

Buccaneer, I hope he gets to feeling better soon. :)

shankbear
12-01-2005, 02:18 PM
stick em in a jar!!!!!!

LewP
12-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I agree...Drs don't normally recommend taking them out anymore.

When they DO recommend it, there is a reason!

At least it's outpatient surgery now...I had to stay in the hospital for 2 days, back in the day!:)

Yep, but I had LOT'S of ice cream though....

shankbear
12-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Good ole plain vanilla Blue Bell is recommended by most doctors!!!!!!!!!!!

CHS_CG
12-01-2005, 02:22 PM
I had mine out in 3rd grade.. i only had to stay for the day. Went in in the morning had them out ate jello and ice cream.. played candy land, watched tv and I left at like 8 that night lol. I have only had really big colds a couple of times since.

AP Panther Fan
12-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
Good ole plain vanilla Blue Bell is recommended by most doctors!!!!!!!!!!!

guess the cookies & cream doesn't go down quite as easily....what a shame...;)

mustang04
12-01-2005, 02:41 PM
i had tonsilitis 5 times last year, lost alot of weight...at the end of this summer i had my tonsils and adenoids removed...i can tell a difference!! get it done, they say its really hard on ya when ur older..but it didnt bother me too much, i ate normal food the day after my surgeries (w/ the exception of chips) it didnt bother me any, i just didnt wanna lose weight from not eating, but yeah i'd say listen to the doc!! hope he gets better!:)

CenTexSports
12-01-2005, 02:44 PM
My four year old granddaughter had hers taken out last month. She was at the hospital for two hours. Less that a week later, she is back to normal. I had mine out when I was three and had them in a jar for a number of years.

All three of my kids have had theirs out. I believe that if they are bad jerk them out!

44INAROW
12-01-2005, 02:44 PM

All I am going to say - #1 listen to the doctor, #2 if he has the surgery, watch him like a hawk about the 10th day, when the scab is to be coming off.. when my son was 10 - he had his tonsils out,, no complications whatsoever,, (missed about 5 days of school) the day the scab came off, he started hemmoraging and was completly"coded" buy the time we got to the ER - he lost 8 pints of blood (that's darn near all of it) and was in ICU for 5 days later. They had to cortorize the area and then it quit bleeding.. Talk about a parents nightmare!!! It is something that happens.. albeit RARE, but it does happen............. Don't mean to scare you, but it is something that I had never heard of and certainly wasn't prepared for....... He is rarely sick now so, at least that is a good thing

AP Panther Fan
12-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
All I am going to say - #1 listen to the doctor, #2 if he has the surgery, watch him like a hawk about the 10th day, when the scab is to be coming off.. when my son was 10 - he had his tonsils out,, no complications whatsoever,, (missed about 5 days of school) the day the scab came off, he started hemmoraging and was completly"coded" buy the time we got to the ER - he lost 8 pints of blood (that's darn near all of it) and was in ICU for 5 days later. They had to cortorize the area and then it quit bleeding.. Talk about a parents nightmare!!! It is something that happens.. albeit RARE, but it does happen............. Don't mean to scare you, but it is something that I had never heard of and certainly wasn't prepared for....... He is rarely sick now so, at least that is a good thing

well darn, 44inarow....we might have had him talked into the surgery up until now.;) j/k

44INAROW
12-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
well darn, 44inarow....we might have had him talked into the surgery up until now.;) j/k
I thought about that after I posted.. :eek:

handNthedirt
12-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Indian Medicine Man advises tying up boy's package so that beans are over the frank, eat tree bark and lichens, tonsils no longer an issue.

AP Panther Fan
12-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I thought about that after I posted.. :eek:

I was just kidding ya....sorry you went through that with your son. I guess you have to consider all of the possibilities with any type of surgical procedure. Like you said, luckily what happened to your son hopefully doesn't occur often.:)

KingRob
12-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
Indian Medicine Man advises tying up boy's package so that beans are over the frank, eat tree bark and lichens, tonsils no longer an issue.

LOL:evillaugh :evillaugh

AP Panther Fan
12-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt

:eek: :eek: :eek: lol

Ranger Mom
12-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

Actually, they tell you to watch for the bright red blood around that time. It is rare, but it can happen.

My son lost 12 lbs as he was recovering, but gained it all back quickly.

He lived on "pink stuff" that his Nana made him!!

Maroon87
12-01-2005, 03:31 PM

I had it twice in a 3 month span while I was in college, but I haven't had it since (about 15 yrs.) I was going to have my tonsils taken out shortly after the second time, but I decided against it when the doc said that I'd be on the shelf for at least 10 days. I had too much stuff going on (like trying to graduate) and I didn't want to get behind. I've still got my tonsils and haven't had any real issues in a while, other than the occassional strep throat.