PDA

View Full Version : Getting defensive (Victoria Advocate article)

Gobbla2001
12-01-2005, 08:03 AM
(pictures below)

Getting defensive
Gobblers' defense has eliminated early question marks

December 1, 2005

MIKE FORMAN
Advocate Sports Writer

CUERO - Cuero defensive back Tre Gray had one immediate thought after intercepting a pass in last week's Class 3A, Division II regional playoff game against Ingleside and spinning away from the receiver before ending up in the Gobblers' end zone.

"I knew I had to get out of the end zone," Gray said.

Gray not only got out of the Cuero end zone, he somehow managed to elude a few tackle attempts, pick up some blocks, and race to the Ingleside end zone for a 96-yard touchdown return in the Gobblers' 56-17 victory.

"It was a heck of a play by Tre," Cuero coach Mark Reeve said. "It was just a great individual effort."

Cuero has come to expect outstanding plays from a defensive unit that was considered a question mark heading into the season. The Gobblers (12-0) next challenge will come in the quarterfinals from Liberty Hill (10-2) on Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Bob Shelton Stadium on the campus of Hays Consolidated in Buda.

"Somebody has stepped up every single week," Reeve said. "We've gotten better with every ballgame."

The Gobblers have yielded 36 points, 29 first downs, and 641 yards in playoff wins over Sweeny, Llano, and Ingleside and 17 of those points, 10 of those first downs, and 251 of those yards have come in the fourth quarter when most of the Cuero starters were on the sideline.

The Gobblers have also forced 11 turnovers, scored on two of them, and turned six others into points.

"Our defense has gotten 100 percent better every week," defensive end J.T. Rudd said. "We're really clicking right now. We have a lot of faith in each other."

With Rudd, Joey Adams, and Joey Gonzales returning on the line, Reeve inserted Stephon Hargrove at end and constructed this year's defense from front to back.

"We have more speed on defense," Reeve said. "We knew we had three of our four defensive linemen back and even though we're not real big in some places, that's where our speed is. Our speed made up for our lack of size."

Dason Jackson missed most of last season with an injury but came back to join Alfred McKinney at linebacker.

Gray and Justin Wesley returned in the secondary and were joined by Domingo Ruiz and Quincey Whittington.

"Players make big plays," Reeve said. "A whole bunch of defense is getting your kids in the right position to make big plays."

The responsibility to make sure the Gobblers line up in the right place falls on Jackson, who receives the defensive signals from Reeve and relays them to his teammates.

"Speed and quickness is a strength of our defense but so is the thinking part," said Jackson, who recovered a fumble against Ingleside. "We had some trouble at the beginning of the season but we started coming together around district. We're still improving and we've still got a ways to go to get there."

Cuero's run defense will get another test from Liberty Hill. The Panthers are averaging 386.8 yards rushing per game.

"This week the key will be stopping the run," Rudd said. "The important thing is taking care of your position and taking care of your responsibilities."

As the Cuero defenders have gained more experience and become more comfortable at their positions, they have not only been in the right place a majority of the time, they have also wreaked havoc when they arrive.

"We are very aggressive, but it's not just aggression," Jackson said. "The key is to know where you're supposed to be and be aggressive when you get there."

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/images/LW5C9142.jpg
This is JR WR/DB Tre Gray... In this play he intercepts the ball at the Gobblerd 4 yard line, steps into the corner of the endzone, weeves his way across the endzone at about mid-field, steps out of the endzone, cuts back to the sideline and takes it to the house...

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/ips_rich_content/LW5C9102_sm.jpg
And this is JR LB Dason Jackson, bigger than the picture suggests, fast as all hell and a head-hunter...

Gobbler Fan
12-01-2005, 02:15 PM
:D cant wait till Friday !

44INAROW
12-01-2005, 02:56 PM
#56 for Ingleside is one big guy.. His family sat next to us at Clear Springs Cafe Friday night.. real nice people!

schu1213
12-01-2005, 03:27 PM
That Int return was one of the best plays i have seen in a while. I was screaming for him to just let it go and not pick it off since it was 4th and long but i guess he did the right thing lol.

crabman
12-01-2005, 03:42 PM
Gray and Jackson are both back next year. :D

AP Panther Fan
12-01-2005, 03:55 PM
http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/images/LW5C9142.jpg

I would certainly say the speed of this young man and some of the others was truly impressive....:clap:

Gobbla2001
12-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
#56 for Ingleside is one big guy.. His family sat next to us at Clear Springs Cafe Friday night.. real nice people!

Hey, that's where I ate :D