PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel vs La Feria

Kool Tarpon 21
10-17-2003, 11:37 PM
I know La Feria is undefeated and we know what to expect from them. We're going to try and play the same way we played tonight. I hope that all my teammates get better. Well, we have the Lions to deal with this coming week. I hope that we have a lot of support. Good Luck to all. Bye.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-18-2003, 08:29 AM
Great game vs. Raymondville!

I feel horrible that I have yet to see the Tarpons play this season. I WAS in town for the Battle of Highway 100, but it got cancelled because of all that rain.....

I'm not sure IF and WHEN i'll make it down there again, maybe the home game vs. Progreso, or PI's bi-district game....don't know yet.

footballgal
10-18-2003, 08:40 AM
Got to send a reminder out; They way you practice is the way you're going to play. So Tarpons, continue practicing hard all week and come game time things will fall into place. Side note: look out for a new face (from Arizona) at LFHS a speedster by the name of Cano, sources tell me he runs the 40 a tad faster than you, so I am sure they will put him on you, as the rest of the team, they have no real speed, just tough, hard playing kids that don't give up, so don't take them lightly.

<small>[ October 18, 2003, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: footballgal ]</small>

footballgal
10-18-2003, 08:43 AM
TarponFanInNorthTexas:
Great game vs. Raymondville!

I'm not sure IF and WHEN i'll make it down there again, maybe the home game vs. Progreso, or PI's bi-district game....don't know yet.What's up with that Kenny?? You gotta make it down next week. Making menudo after the game and all are coming over the house to hopefully to celebrate the win. (Cuz you know where I live, it's our turn this year)

<small>[ October 18, 2003, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: footballgal ]</small>

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-18-2003, 05:44 PM
Dang, girl! It's not like i'm Mr. Moneybags or something, geez.....it costs MONEY to get down there all the way from Dallas, which unfortunately is money I don't have right now.....

If I did, I would hop a Southwest flight down to Harlingen, rent a car, and drive over to La Feria in a heartbeat.

TARPON DAD
10-18-2003, 06:38 PM
ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS DDDDDDDAAAAAAANNNNNGGGGGG!
THAT WAS ONE HELL OF GAME .
LA FERIA IS NEXT BUT I KNOW THE TARPONS ARE READY.
WORK FOR IT GUYS, YOUR PRIZE AWAITS.
MY PRIDICTION,
TARPONS 34 LA F.13

ANYWAYS GOOD JOB GUYS,RAYTOWN ITS STILL NOT OVER
LETS SEE HOW MANY TEAMS CAN REPRESENT!

ONE TEAM ONE GOAL!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D

<small>[ October 18, 2003, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: TARPON DAD ]</small>

footballgal
10-18-2003, 08:09 PM
TarponFanInNorthTexas:
Dang, girl! It's not like i'm Mr. Moneybags or something, geez.....it costs MONEY to get down there all the way from Dallas, which unfortunately is money I don't have right now.....

If I did, I would hop a Southwest flight down to Harlingen, rent a car, and drive over to La Feria in a heartbeat.Ok you have a good excuse, let me give you a tip though, if you book your flight through Southwest airline at least 14 days in advance you can get the flight as little as 39 dollars one way. I work in Harlingen just give me a call I can pick you up!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-18-2003, 10:12 PM
footballgal:

TarponFanInNorthTexas:

If I did, I would hop a Southwest flight down to Harlingen, rent a car, and drive over to La Feria in a heartbeat.Ok you have a good excuse, let me give you a tip though, if you book your flight through Southwest airline at least 14 days in advance you can get the flight as little as 39 dollars one way. I work in Harlingen just give me a call I can pick you up!I've NEVER gotten a flight out of Dallas Love Field THAT CHEAP before......maybe you're thinking of Houston Hobby....

I'll look it up on the Southwest site and see what I get......be right back....

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-18-2003, 10:16 PM
Lowest possible fare with 14 days advance is a grand total of $202.

MUCH higher than the price you thought.....I was a travel agent for a spell, I know flights out of Love Field are much more expensive than other places.

Mid80'sTarpon
10-18-2003, 10:18 PM
TarponFanInNorthTexas:

footballgal:

TarponFanInNorthTexas:

If I did, I would hop a Southwest flight down to Harlingen, rent a car, and drive over to La Feria in a heartbeat.Ok you have a good excuse, let me give you a tip though, if you book your flight through Southwest airline at least 14 days in advance you can get the flight as little as 39 dollars one way. I work in Harlingen just give me a call I can pick you up!I've NEVER gotten a flight out of Dallas Love Field THAT CHEAP before......maybe you're thinking of Houston Hobby....

I'll look it up on the Southwest site and see what I get......be right back....No you won't get a flight that cheap, the $39 is per leg, and Dallas to Harlingen always has two legs per trip. They used to have a non-stop but that one is always more.

Mid80'sTarpon
10-18-2003, 10:26 PM
I actually made the game last night, first one in a long time, first time in the new stadium. The defense set the tone right off the bat, stuffing, sacking and tackling the kats. The offense looked good except for a few miscues in the first possesion, but they were able to overcome those and score. The only time Raymondville was able to do anything was when the defense wasn't able to contain the outside and Wolfe took off, that didn't happen often, but still would like to see less of that. All in all a good game for the Tarpons.

footballgal
10-18-2003, 11:16 PM
My bad TFINT, looks like $91 here and $91 back would be the cheapest to Dallas/Hgn $182+taxes. $39 (actually it was $49) was Hgn/Austin (one way).

<small>[ October 18, 2003, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: footballgal ]</small>

footballgal
10-18-2003, 11:17 PM
Mid80'sTarpon:
I actually made the game last night, first one in a long time, first time in the new stadium. The defense set the tone right off the bat, stuffing, sacking and tackling the kats. The offense looked good except for a few miscues in the first possesion, but they were able to overcome those and score. The only time Raymondville was able to do anything was when the defense wasn't able to contain the outside and Wolfe took off, that didn't happen often, but still would like to see less of that. All in all a good game for the Tarpons.Where did you make the trip from?

Mid80'sTarpon
10-19-2003, 12:57 PM
footballgal:

Mid80'sTarpon:
I actually made the game last night, first one in a long time, first time in the new stadium. The defense set the tone right off the bat, stuffing, sacking and tackling the kats. The offense looked good except for a few miscues in the first possesion, but they were able to overcome those and score. The only time Raymondville was able to do anything was when the defense wasn't able to contain the outside and Wolfe took off, that didn't happen often, but still would like to see less of that. All in all a good game for the Tarpons.Where did you make the trip from?Sorry I'm answering so late, made the trip from the Dallas area. Had to go to bed, drove all yesterday to get up here.

Kool Tarpon 21
10-19-2003, 02:51 PM
I like the competition. If you say they have someone that runs the 40 faster than I do, then that's great. Now, I'm going to look forward to this game even more. I just like that feeling when there is someone you have to watch out for. Nevertheless, we will practice hard and hopefully prepare ourselves enough to have an awesome game. I hope that everyone can attend this game. I think it's going to be a good game. Well, good luck to all the teams. Laterz.

footballgal
10-19-2003, 06:01 PM
Kool Tarpon 21:
I like the competition. If you say they have someone that runs the 40 faster than I do, then that's great. Now, I'm going to look forward to this game even more. I just like that feeling when there is someone you have to watch out for. Nevertheless, we will practice hard and hopefully prepare ourselves enough to have an awesome game. I hope that everyone can attend this game. I think it's going to be a good game. Well, good luck to all the teams. Laterz.Thats what they say and actually it's not the 40 I misunderstood it was the 400 meter at 47.? (can't recall exactly)

I know you do, like all great atheltes they thrive with competition. He only plays defense, so they will probably put him on you on a passing situation.

Missile did get to read my post on cramps? If not it's on the local board.

Best wishes to you and the rest of the Tarpons this Friday. Keep practicing hard and things will turn on great! I look forward to this coming game and expect a great showing on the part of the Tarpons.

footballgal
10-19-2003, 06:03 PM
Mid80'sTarpon:

footballgal:

Mid80'sTarpon:
I actually made the game last night, first one in a long time, first time in the new stadium. The defense set the tone right off the bat, stuffing, sacking and tackling the kats. The offense looked good except for a few miscues in the first possesion, but they were able to overcome those and score. The only time Raymondville was able to do anything was when the defense wasn't able to contain the outside and Wolfe took off, that didn't happen often, but still would like to see less of that. All in all a good game for the Tarpons.Where did you make the trip from?Sorry I'm answering so late, made the trip from the Dallas area. Had to go to bed, drove all yesterday to get up here.Wow all the way from Dallas! Hey Kenny you should have hitched a ride with Mid80'sTarpon. We're you part of the '81 team, my husband always tells me about, he says that was the best team PI has ever fielded in his opinion.

footballgal
10-19-2003, 06:05 PM
Alright who hit Kool Tarpon with bad rating?? Ray_Bearkat was that you?

Mid80'sTarpon
10-19-2003, 06:21 PM
footballgal:

Mid80'sTarpon:

footballgal:

Mid80'sTarpon:
I actually made the game last night, first one in a long time, first time in the new stadium. The defense set the tone right off the bat, stuffing, sacking and tackling the kats. The offense looked good except for a few miscues in the first possesion, but they were able to overcome those and score. The only time Raymondville was able to do anything was when the defense wasn't able to contain the outside and Wolfe took off, that didn't happen often, but still would like to see less of that. All in all a good game for the Tarpons.Where did you make the trip from?Sorry I'm answering so late, made the trip from the Dallas area. Had to go to bed, drove all yesterday to get up here.Wow all the way from Dallas! Hey Kenny you should have hitched a ride with Mid80'sTarpon. We're you part of the '81 team, my husband always tells me about, he says that was the best team PI has ever fielded in his opinion.I was down there for a weeks vacation. No, I wasn't part of the '81 team, played in '85 and '86, hence the Mid80's. That '81 team was something, remember them well, playing in Jr. High dreaming you were the varsity Tarpons.

footballgal
10-19-2003, 06:28 PM
Missile please check your PMs.

footballgal
10-19-2003, 06:33 PM
Mid80'sTarpon:

footballgal:

Mid80'sTarpon:

footballgal:

Mid80'sTarpon:
I actually made the game last night, first one in a long time, first time in the new stadium. The defense set the tone right off the bat, stuffing, sacking and tackling the kats. The offense looked good except for a few miscues in the first possesion, but they were able to overcome those and score. The only time Raymondville was able to do anything was when the defense wasn't able to contain the outside and Wolfe took off, that didn't happen often, but still would like to see less of that. All in all a good game for the Tarpons.Where did you make the trip from?Sorry I'm answering so late, made the trip from the Dallas area. Had to go to bed, drove all yesterday to get up here.Wow all the way from Dallas! Hey Kenny you should have hitched a ride with Mid80'sTarpon. We're you part of the '81 team, my husband always tells me about, he says that was the best team PI has ever fielded in his opinion.I was down there for a weeks vacation. No, I wasn't part of the '81 team, played in '85 and '86, hence the Mid80's. That '81 team was something, remember them well, playing in Jr. High dreaming you were the varsity Tarpons.Oh ok sorry, duh missed that mid80 thing. :o

Then you must have been on the first Tarpon team I ever saw play. When I moved to the valley to Port Isabel. It was the fall of 1986 the first season I ever saw a Tarpon game, I have been "hooked" since then. What position did you play? Maybe I will remember you, was that the year that ('86) Coach V was moved down to Jr. High and your head Coach was Wise? I think that's what his name was, I remember Morris Martinez, umm Chad Flores or one of the Flores boys?

Mid80'sTarpon
10-19-2003, 07:32 PM
footballgal:

Mid80'sTarpon:

footballgal:

Mid80'sTarpon:

footballgal:

Mid80'sTarpon:
I actually made the game last night, first one in a long time, first time in the new stadium. The defense set the tone right off the bat, stuffing, sacking and tackling the kats. The offense looked good except for a few miscues in the first possesion, but they were able to overcome those and score. The only time Raymondville was able to do anything was when the defense wasn't able to contain the outside and Wolfe took off, that didn't happen often, but still would like to see less of that. All in all a good game for the Tarpons.Where did you make the trip from?Sorry I'm answering so late, made the trip from the Dallas area. Had to go to bed, drove all yesterday to get up here.Wow all the way from Dallas! Hey Kenny you should have hitched a ride with Mid80'sTarpon. We're you part of the '81 team, my husband always tells me about, he says that was the best team PI has ever fielded in his opinion.I was down there for a weeks vacation. No, I wasn't part of the '81 team, played in '85 and '86, hence the Mid80's. That '81 team was something, remember them well, playing in Jr. High dreaming you were the varsity Tarpons.Oh ok sorry, duh missed that mid80 thing. :o

Then you must have been on the first Tarpon team I ever saw play. When I moved to the valley to Port Isabel. It was the fall of 1986 the first season I ever saw a Tarpon game, I have been "hooked" since then. What position did you play? Maybe I will remember you, was that the year that ('86) Coach V was moved down to Jr. High and your head Coach was Wise? I think that's what his name was, I remember Morris Martinez, umm Chad Flores or one of the Flores boys?I was a safety, since we rarely threw the ball. Coach V was moved down the year before that by Coach Wise. In '86 we had Coach Overton(I think he is retired now) and Coach Bates(DC) who is in Devine now. We had Shon and Chad Flores on that team.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-19-2003, 07:49 PM
Mid80'sTarpon:

footballgal:

Mid80'sTarpon:

footballgal:

Mid80'sTarpon:

footballgal:

Mid80'sTarpon:

Then you must have been on the first Tarpon team I ever saw play. When I moved to the valley to Port Isabel. It was the fall of 1986 the first season I ever saw a Tarpon game, I have been "hooked" since then. What position did you play? Maybe I will remember you, was that the year that ('86) Coach V was moved down to Jr. High and your head Coach was Wise? I think that's what his name was, I remember Morris Martinez, umm Chad Flores or one of the Flores boys?I was a safety, since we rarely threw the ball. Coach V was moved down the year before that by Coach Wise. In '86 we had Coach Overton(I think he is retired now) and Coach Bates(DC) who is in Devine now. We had Shon and Chad Flores on that team.All I remember about those teams in the mid-80s (no disrespect intended) is that they kept losing in the bi-district round of the playoffs. I remember us losing to Freer, and also to Hebbronville.....

footballgal
10-19-2003, 08:06 PM
Dang, TFINT couldn't you be a little more negative?? wink

Mid80'sTarpon
10-19-2003, 08:13 PM
Never said we were great, we tried, two different systems in two years, coaches never felt welcomed back then either.

footballgal
10-19-2003, 09:46 PM
footballgal:
Missile please check your PMs.Did you get my PM??

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-19-2003, 11:37 PM
footballgal:
Dang, TFINT couldn't you be a little more negative?? wink I wasn't trying to be negative. Was just being honest, really. That's all I remember about those teams in the mid 80s. Realize that at the time, (1985 season, which means 85-86 school year) I was in 3rd grade. I only went to home games at the time, unless it was playoffs. I do remember a playoff game played IN Port Isabel against Hebbronville where they were hurting our players left and right.....one of our guys (Joe Saldivar if I remember right) broke his leg, and when he was being put on a stretcher to be taken to the hospital, he raised his index finger straight into the sky in front of our fans, saying that Port Isabel is still #1, and our fans went nuts......but Hebbronville still kicked our butts. Don't remember what season that occurred, though.

Kool Tarpon 21
10-21-2003, 08:56 AM
Footballgal,

I did get your PM. Thanks for everything. I know what you're saying and I agree with you. Thanks again. I also agree with you when you said that the way practice is the way we'll play. We are trying hard at practices and I hope we can come through. Good Luck to all. Laterz.

turbostud
10-21-2003, 10:18 AM
I am going to this game. My brother in law wants me to go to the Weslaco/San Benito game but I just cant pass up PI/LF. Is this game going to decide the district championship?

TARPON DAD
10-22-2003, 03:54 PM
i get the feeling that la feria,isnt gonna be to happy after friday ,i know the tarpons know how much this game means ,i just hope it will be a good showing .
alittle advice dont stop till you get what you
want tarpons will represent,the vally and if they want it bad enough,they will achive all there goals! dont take la feria litly,
they are coming at you to shut the tarpon up.
but the tarpons will prevail,i hope you all are readyfor this game ,maybe now the tarpons will get the respect they deserve!
anyways good luck to all the vallys teams this friday ! wink

go tarpons go!!! :D

ONE TEAM ,ONE GOAL! :p

footballgal
10-23-2003, 09:05 AM
La Feria set for district clash with Port Isabel

http://www.valleystar.com/images/uploads/LaFeria102303.jpg
Members of the La Feria Lions football team work on some drills during practice Wednesday. The Lions take on Port Isabel this Friday. Joe Hermosa / Valley Morning Star

By MIKE GONZALEZ
mikeg@valleystar.com
956-421-9874

LA FERIA — As La Feria head coach Roberto Valdez walked onto the practice field Wednesday afternoon, the fierce look on his face immediately signaled that the Lions are gearing up for a big game this weekend.

"Big" might be an understatement for Friday night’s contest, as the unbeaten Lions (3-0 in District 32-3A, 6-0 overall) take on the defending district champion Port Isabel Tarpons (3-1, 4-3) in one of the fiercest rivalries in the Valley.

"It’s a big game," Valdez said. "We have to take advantage of playing at home. We have to play good, solid football."

It’s a match that features the Tarps’ rushing attack, which is ranked first in the district, versus the Lions’ defense that is ranked second in the district and second against the run.

The Lions’ defense will have its hands full with PI’s offensive foursome of Misael "The Missile" Iracheta (635 yards, 10 touchdowns), Johnny Nieto (398, 4 TDs), Josue Trejo (363, 3 TDs), and Gabriel Alvarez (372, 2 TDs).

As a squad, the fish come into the game with 1,837 yards rushing, something that Lions’ defensive coordinator Elifonso Esquivel knows his troops have to slow down.

"We have to make sure they’re (the La Feria defense) lined up correctly," Esquivel said. "We have to control their speed and quickness, keep it simple, work on field tackling and not give up the big plays."

Esquivel added that PI is the fastest and quickest team the Lions have faced this season, a true test for their second-ranked defense.

"Port Isabel’s coaches have done a good job utilizing their speed," he said. "So we have our job cut our for us."

As a team, the Lions have only given up 585 yards rushing in six games and managed to slow down Rio Hondo’s potent running attack last week. During that game, the district’s leading rusher, Jimmie Heath, was held to only 62 yards rushing and the Bobcats finished with 64 as a team.

Thus far, La Feria has only given up 18 points in its last four games with two shutouts. What’s more, the men in maroon have not given up more than 160 yards rushing this season.

A reason why the Lions have succeeded defensively is due to the consistent play of linebacker Roy Vento. He leads the team with 56 tackles, 13 for losses, and is looking forward Friday’s contest.

"The intensity is a lot harder for this game," he said. "Our defense is up for it and we’re going to try and put them away."

Aside from Vento at linebacker is Nathan Edelstein, who is second on the team with 51 tackles and has four fumble recoveries.

But what could play big for the Lions is penetration from the front four. J.J. Morales leads the team with six sacks and also has 39 tackles to his credit. Knowing that the Tarpons run the ball often, sacks may be non-existent, but Morales still realizes his defense must control the line of scrimmage in order to win.

"We just have to play as a unit," Morales said. "Were going to give it all we’ve got and it’s going to be a tough game."

Other than the defensive play, Valdez still realizes offense and special teams are essential Friday night.

"On offense, we have to take whatever they give us," Valdez said. "We have to have ball control and limit those turnovers. PI capitalizes on turnovers."

The Lions look to avenge a 23-0 loss to the Tarpons last year.

footballgal
10-23-2003, 09:09 AM
Stumbaugh returns the Tarpons back to form

By Pikey Rodriguez special to the Monitor

PORT ISABEL — When you hear the name Port Isabel, you think of a winning football tradition.
Two years ago, when Monty Stumbaugh was looking for a head coaching job, he found the right match at the District 32-3A school along the coast. Stumbaugh was the offensive coordinator at Class 3A Cuero and thought it was the right time to start searching for a head position since his youngest son was a senior.
He had previous coaching stints at Lubbock, and served as offensive coordinator at Midland High.
Stumbaugh started surfing the internet and was attracted to the Port Isabel opening having gone up against the Tarpons previously in the state playoffs.
Since arriving at the Point Isabel School District, Stumbaugh has guided the Tarpons to back-to-back district championships and PI lost to eventual 3A champion Bandera last year in the third round.
“We’ve got a good bunch of young men at Port Isabel,” Stumbaugh said about his 2003 squad. “They go out and play hard every game for four quarters.”
When Stumbaugh arrived in March of 2001, the current senior class members were freshman. There are currently just over 20 seniors on the squad.
“This year has been an interesting ride,” Stumbaugh said about the Tarpons 4-3 start. “We’re still hanging on and haven’t been thrown yet. We control our own destiny.”
Port Isabel faces a must-win game Friday night when the Tarpons travel to Lion Stadium in La Feria. A loss would put the 3-1 Tarpons in jeapordy of missing out on postseason play and not winning another conference title.
“Tradition is our strength,” Stumbaugh said. “There is a lot expected from the kids here at Port Isabel. There is a lot of pride in the community for its football team.”
The Tarpons established themselves as a powerhouse by making the playoffs 23 of the last 25 seasons.
When Stumbaugh came in, he was able to assemble a good coaching staff and he credits his assistants for much of the teams success.
“My coaches do a great job,” Stumbaugh said. “They put in a lot of hours like everybody else does. I couldn’t ask for a better staff.
“They relate to the kids and I’d put them up with anybody. Sometimes they get overlooked, but I’d say they are very appreciated here.”
One tradition Stumbaugh inherited was the “Sea Wall Defense” the Tarpons have been known for.
“The tag ‘Sea Wall Defense’ has kind of stuck with the team,” Stumbaugh said. “It seems like its been here forever. The kids take pride in themselves for their defense.”
Like many 3A schools, PI doesn’t have a lot of depth and several players see duty both ways.
“We’ve got some speed, but we’re not very big,” Stumbaugh said. “We do have some kids that are game-breakers.”
The senior class is headed by Misael Iracheta and backs Johnny Nieto and Joshua Trejo. Junior quarterback Gabriel Alvarez has taken charge under center.
“We’re not very big, but we do have good team speed,” Stumbaugh said. “This is a big game and I know the kids will be ready to play.”
Port Isabel concludes 32-3A play at home next Friday against Progreso.

Ray_BearKat
10-23-2003, 11:24 AM
turbostud:
I am going to this game. My brother in law wants me to go to the Weslaco/San Benito game but I just cant pass up PI/LF. Is this game going to decide the district championship?If La Feria wins yes but if PI wins no. PI, Raymondville and Lyford are all tied for second. If La Feria loses there will be a 4 was tie for 1st and La Feria still has to play Raymondville and Lyford. So its all still up in the air.

footballgal
10-23-2003, 12:03 PM
Yeah, La Feria still has alot of football to play. They have PI, Friday, Raymondville next Week and in Week 10 they have Lyford.

TARPON DAD
10-24-2003, 12:17 AM
go tarpons go!
go tarpons go!
go tarpons go!
get the picture!!!!
i cant wait till tomarrow!
go tarpons go !
go tarpons go !
go tarpons go !

your destiny awaits!

pirate4state
10-24-2003, 09:28 AM
Is La Feria the Div I. representative, if they advance to the playoffs??

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-24-2003, 09:46 AM
pirate4state:
Is La Feria the Div I. representative, if they advance to the playoffs??Yes, if La Feria makes it in the playoffs, they're automatic Div. 1 since they are the school with the highest enrollment in the district.

However, they have yet to play Port Isabel (tonight), Raymondville (Week 9) and Lyford (Week 10) so even though they're undefeated right now, a playoff spot is far from guaranteed for them right now.

Should they falter, and PI, Ray, and Lyford make the playoffs, Raymondville will be in Div. 1 with Lyford and PI in Div. 2

Ray_BearKat
10-24-2003, 09:53 AM
Man it bites when you lose your D1 status just because 5 students felt like skipping out during the month of October. I wonder who will be the largest school in 32-3A in the next realignment. Ray, LF, and Hidalgo are all really close.

footballgal
10-24-2003, 10:44 AM
Thursday, October 23, 2003 9:53 pm

La Feria entertains Tarpons

By Pikey Rodriguez
Special to The Monitor

LA FERIA — A possible state playoff berth is on the line tonight when the Port Isabel Tarpons visit Lion Stadium for a District 32-3A contest against La Feria.
Kickoff for the District 32-3A showdown is set for 7:30 p.m. before what is expected to be a standing room only crowd.
“If you want to get into the playoffs, you have to beat teams the caliber of Port Isabel,” La Feria coach Roberto Valdez said. “It’s great to be undefeated at this point of the season, but we’ve still got two games left to play.
“It’s the same scenario as last year. It’s a great challenge playing PI. The kids believe in themselves, and we’re ready to play.”
Despite being 6-0 overall and 3-0 in district, the Lions are 9-point underdogs, according to the Harris Ratings System. La Feria is ranked No. 12 in Class 3A by The Associated Press.
Port Isabel, which has claimed back-to-back district championships, is 4-3 on the season and 3-1 in conference. The Tarpons have been on a roller coaster ride this season.
“We’re playing on the road and I feel it’s a must-win game for us,” said Port Isabel coach Monty Stumbaugh. “I’m looking at it that way. So many things have to happen if we get beat and still want to make the playoffs.”
La Feria is alone atop the 32-3A standings while there is a three-way tie for second between PI, Lyford and Raymondville.
“La Feria concerns me a lot,” Stumbaugh said. “They play good defense and don’t make many mistakes. From what we’ve seen of them, they don’t hurt themselves.”
La Feria is out to try and snap a three-game losing streak against Port Isabel. The last time the Lions beat PI was in 1999 (26-20).
“We have to be prepared and ready to play tonight,” Valdez said. “If we beat Port Isabel, we can take our program to the next level. I feel the kids will go out and defend their home. This is what you play for all year.”
Sophomore Justin Ramirez leads the Lions with three interceptions and has also been handling the place kicking duties while Luis Rodriguez recovers from a slight injury. Teams have been throwing away from Rodriguez, who had 11 interceptions last year.
After tonight’s game, La Feria has district games remaining against contenders Raymondville and Lyford. Port Isabel closes league play next week at home against Progreso.

GameBreakdown

PORT ISABEL
AT LA FERIA

WHEN: 7:30 p.m. tonight
WHERE: Lion Stadium
located along Expressway 83
RECORDS: Port Isabel 3-1, 4-3;
La Feria 3-0, 6-0
ALL-TIME RECORD: Port Isabel leads series, 27-15-2
LAST MEETING: Port Isabel won 23-0 (2002)
NOTABLE: La Feria comes in ranked No. 12 in Class 3A. … Port Isabel has beaten La Feria three straight times. … The Lions last beat PI in 1999, 26-20. … This the 45th meeting between the two schools. The most lopsided score in the series came in 1985, when Port Isabel blanked La Feria, 67-0.
PLAYERS TO WATCH: Port Isabel — Gabriel Alvarez (jr., QB) has thrown for 461 yards and three TDs with four interceptions. He’s also scored three times on 62 carries and gained 371 yards; Misael Iracheta (sr., RB/FS, 5-10, 170) has rushed for a team-leading 626 yards and scored nine touchdowns. La Feria — Luis Rodriguez (sr., WR/FS, 5-11, 165) has 13 career interceptions and is used on long field goal attempts. He has two game-winning field goals. Also has 16 receptions for 227 yards and four TDs; Albert Castillo (sr.,RB, 5-9, 160) has rushed for 491 yards on 108 carries and scored eight TDs .

OFFENSE: Port Isabel has speed to burn. The Tarpons rely mostly on the running game, but will put the ball in the air if needed. Overall team speed worries opposing coaches. … La Feria is also a running team. Castillo and Steve Cox carry a majority of the load. Rodriguez is the team’s leading receiver.
ADVANTAGE — Port Isabel

DEFENSE: Two-way starter Paul Castor (jr. 6-0, 240) anchors both sides of the ball on the line. The Lions shutdown 32-3A rushing leader Jimmy Heath of Rio Hondo last week. … La Feria gives up just 173.7 yards per game, compared to Port Isabel’s 197.8 each time out.
ADVANTAGE — La Feria

SPECIAL TEAMS: Both teams are solid on special teams. Port Isabel has all-state punter/kicker Orlando Ochoa and the dangerous Iracheta returning punts and kicks. La Feria’s Matt Garcia averaged 41 yards per punt last week vs. Rio Hondo. Marco Cano, a transfer from Arizona, is the Lion’s fastest player.
ADVANTAGE — EVEN

COACHING: Both coaching staffs prepare their teams well for big games. … La Feria doesn’t make mistakes that will costit the game. … Port Isabel is a senior ballclub that responds well in big games.
ADVANTAGE — EVEN

THE PICK: La Feria 27, Port Isabel 21

— Pikey Rodriguez

pirate4state
10-24-2003, 10:56 AM
TarponFanInNorthTexas:

pirate4state:
Is La Feria the Div I. representative, if they advance to the playoffs??Yes, if La Feria makes it in the playoffs, they're automatic Div. 1 since they are the school with the highest enrollment in the district.

However, they have yet to play Port Isabel (tonight), Raymondville (Week 9) and Lyford (Week 10) so even though they're undefeated right now, a playoff spot is far from guaranteed for them right now.

Should they falter, and PI, Ray, and Lyford make the playoffs, Raymondville will be in Div. 1 with Lyford and PI in Div. 2Thanks! Just wondering... :D

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-24-2003, 12:34 PM
pirate4state:

TarponFanInNorthTexas:

pirate4state:

Should they falter, and PI, Ray, and Lyford make the playoffs, Raymondville will be in Div. 1 with Lyford and PI in Div. 2Thanks! Just wondering... :D I am glad I was able to be of some assistance to you, sir. That'll be $50, you can direct deposit that directly into my account. Thank you.

pirate4state
10-24-2003, 01:15 PM
TFINT-please check PM.

TARPON DAD
10-26-2003, 07:08 PM
WAY TO GO MISA, I BELIVED AND YOU GUYS DELIVERD!

ENJOY IT BUT DONT LOSE SIGHT OF WHAT YOU NEED TO DO.

NEXT WEEK SHOULD BE FUN MAYBE LIKE LAST YEAR REMBER.
ANY WAYS ,PROPS TO PORT ISABEL!

ONE TEAM, ONE GOAL!!!!!!

GO TARPONS GO!