PDA

View Full Version : Military term you might not be familiar with

Paratrooper
11-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Just thought I would add a little humor for the day. These are all military terms and traditions that I have run across in my career.

The sun is also known as Bob

The wind also known as Guss

FUBAR can't tell you the whole phrase, but means Messed Up beyond all recognition

BLT also known as a Battalion Landing Team (not Bacon Lettuce and Tomato)

Flapping like a D bag.....a D bag is a deployment bag that trails in behind the aircraft when a paratrooper exits the plane......if someone uses this term on you it means you are not tracking with what your suppossed to be doing or your just plain messed up

Rain.......also known as the "R" word. It is taboo before a field problem to say the word rain because noone likes being out in it and it always does seem to rain when you say it

A boot......very derogatory term for when your a newbie in the Marine Corps

A cherry......another very derogatory term for when your a newbie in the Army

A Legg.....derogatory Army term meaning your not Airborne qualified

Shellback......this is when you have crossed the equator in the Navy or Marines. You don't have to go through the initiation if you are a shellback. They actually give you a card for this.

Polywog.......this is when you haven't crossed the equator.

Squids......derogatory term for Navy personel

Army Dog or Puke......derogatory term for Army personel

Wing nuts.......derogatory term for AirForce personel

Lawn Darts......derogatory term for Paratroopers

Jarhead......can be a derogatory term for Marine Corps personel. Depends on the context used.

Leatherneck.......this is not a derogatory term for a Marine. It actually started long ago when Marines had to wear these high leather like straps across their necks to prevent Swords from slashing them.

KWOL.....this is a phrase in lieu of the old term of AWOL (absent without leave) KWOL is (Knowledge without leave). It means you have a security clearance but have gone AWOL

I.D. 10 Tango form.......this is what you tell a new private who enters your unit. You tell him to get you an I.D. 10 Tango form and send him all over the place looking for it. If you take the phonetic alphabet out of it, it means IDIOT....lol

Paratrooper
11-30-2005, 11:10 AM
Others terms I could think of

A Hogie (Hodge-E)......this is all people of middle eastern decent. Currently this is the term used in Iraq and Afghanistan. I think someone probably took this off Johnny Quest.

Ma Duece......a .50 caliber machine gun

P shooter......a M4 or M16 rifle

Guns.......not allowed to use the term when talking about a rifle. This is only used for larger items such as Artillery or the Big Guns off of ships. For small arms they are always referred to as weapons.

2 way rifle range.......means you are in combat.

Fragged......meaning you either got killed or wounded

Bought the farm.......means you got killed

Pogues.......meaning having a non combat arms jobs (clerks, truck drivers, etc)

raider red 2000
11-30-2005, 11:15 AM
my brother in law recently got a purple heart. from being in Iraq

he says it is the "enemy marksmanship" award.

zeus63
11-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000

When I was in the service we called it "The Bullet Catcher" award

Paratrooper
11-30-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000

That is funny....haven't heard that one but it makes sense.:D :D

LewP
11-30-2005, 02:30 PM
"This is my weapon, this is my gun,

This is for killin, this is for fun."

Lmao

Go Army,
Beat Navy!

sww-bull52
11-30-2005, 02:31 PM
I know all about that one Lew!!!!!!

LewP
11-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by sww-bull52
I know all about that one Lew!!!!!!

^5 Guy!!!!

raider red 2000
11-30-2005, 02:39 PM
brother in law also told me about one of his marines that said he was going to be taking "Weather Leave"

when the marine was asked what is "Weather Leave"

He responds with it depends whether or not I show up.

slpybear the bullfan
11-30-2005, 06:21 PM
How about heading over the "GeeDunk" stand? ;)

bulldogbark
11-30-2005, 06:36 PM
lets see in the older army

SNAFU = situation normal all (*****) up
SSDD = same sht differend day
Nut Cracker= what happens when you dont have your parachute harness tight enough and the opening shock makes you talk three octives higher.

REMF" Rear echilone (sp) (well you figure it out) this is a person who does not have to go to the field to train alot.

Chairborne Ranger= someone who has gone to ranger school only to sit at a desk the rest of his life.

Turtle= anyone who is assigned to Camp Casey Korea for the first time. Reason is this old Korean post has lots of man made water ditches and the new people get drunk and end up on their backs in these ditches and get out, hence turtles and turtle ditches.

Grabbing silk= when you are parachuting and trying to steer your decent (nope we all dont get the high speed ram chutes you see on tv) you have to pull on your risers (strings for term) the more you pull the more you turn so they say....when you are grabbing silk you have your chute in your hand and your going nowhere but in the same direction you started.

footsball
11-30-2005, 06:50 PM
11B..... also known as a bullet catcher!

SwtwtrMstngs04
11-30-2005, 06:56 PM
I told my recruiter i wanted to be a bullet catcher and he wasnt too happy with me.

of course i was kidding.

footsball
11-30-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by SwtwtrMstngs04
I told my recruiter i wanted to be a bullet catcher and he wasnt too happy with me.

of course i was kidding.
If they ask you in basic if you want to be a truck driver, say SIR NO SIR:D

Adidas410s
11-30-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Paratrooper
I.D. 10 Tango form.......this is what you tell a new private who enters your unit. You tell him to get you an I.D. 10 Tango form and send him all over the place looking for it. If you take the phonetic alphabet out of it, it means IDIOT....lol

We use that one here but we also like to describe "technologically challenged" people as having an ESO (Equipment Smarter than Operator) problem!

LewP
11-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by bulldogbark
lets see in the older army

SNAFU = situation normal all (*****) up
SSDD = same sht differend day
Nut Cracker= what happens when you dont have your parachute harness tight enough and the opening shock makes you talk three octives higher.

REMF" Rear echilone (sp) (well you figure it out) this is a person who does not have to go to the field to train alot.

Chairborne Ranger= someone who has gone to ranger school only to sit at a desk the rest of his life.

Turtle= anyone who is assigned to Camp Casey Korea for the first time. Reason is this old Korean post has lots of man made water ditches and the new people get drunk and end up on their backs in these ditches and get out, hence turtles and turtle ditches.

Grabbing silk= when you are parachuting and trying to steer your decent (nope we all dont get the high speed ram chutes you see on tv) you have to pull on your risers (strings for term) the more you pull the more you turn so they say....when you are grabbing silk you have your chute in your hand and your going nowhere but in the same direction you started.

LOL Chairborne Ranger....LOL I never heard that one. Now that's funny!!

OK..I'll end it with a K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid)

Paratrooper
11-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
How about heading over the "GeeDunk" stand? ;)

Haven't heard that one in a while how about....

The roach coach.....a term used for when the truck full of snacks and goodies shows up to the training sites

Pogie bait......a term used for civilian snacks brought to the field

Scuttlebutt.......a Navy term for a rumor or a drinking fountain (how this one arrived who knows)

The Head....a Navy term for the bathroom

A rack.......also known as your bed

Russian duck.......what you tell your soldiers or marines when you want them to eat quickly.......Rush in and duck out

LewP
11-30-2005, 07:29 PM
Just curious...

I wonder how long the Army has been using the term "police call".

First time I heard it in basic, I thought we were in trouble, turns out, we just picked up cigarette butts that weren't field stripped..LOL

Paratrooper
11-30-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by LewP
Just curious...

I wonder how long the Army has been using the term "police call".

Probably as long as Phillip Morris has been making cigerettes....lol I often wonder how a lot of these terms have developed. Some of them are very funny.

This is one that always made me laugh. When I first came in I was a Marine. Well, when you boarded a Naval Vessel you must first salute the flag and then the Duty Officer requesting permission to come aboard. When you depart the vessel you first salute the Duty Officer requesting to leave the ship and then salute the flag. How we would remember it was

Flag, Fag, Fag, Flag.........lol:D

footsball
12-01-2005, 06:41 PM
is no one going to mention JODY!:D

bulldogbark
12-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Aint no sence in looking down
aint no discharge on the ground

aint no use in looking back
Jody's got your cadillac

Two old ladies laying in bed
one rollled over to the other and said