PDA

View Full Version : Torbush Fired As Aggie DC

ILS1
11-28-2005, 10:49 PM
Coach Fran informed Coach Carl Torbush that he was relieved of his duties, effective immediately, as linebackers coach and defensive coordinator. Coach Torbush had spent five seasons in those roles with Coach Fran, including two at the University of Alabama.

Coach Fran's statement: "After evaluating our defense, I felt like it was in the best interest of our football program to make a change at defensive coordinator. I think Carl is an outstanding person and an excellent coach, but for whatever reasons, we were not effective on defense. I have begun a national search to find a replacement."

Coach Torbush commented, "This is part of the business of coaching football. We didn't get the job done on defense and that was my responsibility. I commend the players for giving great effort and I appreciate the coaches who continued to work through the whole season. One thing I thought was evident was this group refused to quit."

Torbush Fired (www.coachfran.com/news.aspx?id=349)

Astrosdawg07
11-28-2005, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
Coach Fran informed Coach Carl Torbush that he was relieved of his duties, effective immediately, as linebackers coach and defensive coordinator. Coach Torbush had spent five seasons in those roles with Coach Fran, including two at the University of Alabama.

Coach Fran's statement: "After evaluating our defense, I felt like it was in the best interest of our football program to make a change at defensive coordinator. I think Carl is an outstanding person and an excellent coach, but for whatever reasons, we were not effective on defense. I have begun a national search to find a replacement."

Coach Torbush commented, "This is part of the business of coaching football. We didn't get the job done on defense and that was my responsibility. I commend the players for giving great effort and I appreciate the coaches who continued to work through the whole season. One thing I thought was evident was this group refused to quit."

Torbush Fired (www.coachfran.com/news.aspx?id=349)

I think everyone saw this coming.

ILS1
11-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Even Stevie Wonder saw this one coming. If Fran didn't fire him,his head would've been on the chopping block!!! The OC may be next??? Cleaning house,that's usually the step before you yourself gets the axe!!!

:D

Astrosdawg07
11-28-2005, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
Even Stevie Wonder saw this one coming. If Fran didn't fire him,his head would've been on the chopping block!!! The OC may be next??? Cleaning house,that's usually the step before you yourself gets the axe!!!

:D

Boy I'm glad to be a UT fan. :D

setex
11-28-2005, 11:09 PM

You can insert this quote into any business

This is part of the business of making widgets. We didn't get the job done on sales volume and that was my responsibility. I commend the workers for giving great effort and I appreciate the foremans who continued to work through the last quarter.. One thing I thought was evident was this group refused to quit."

It’s America, produce are you’re gone.

crabman
11-28-2005, 11:19 PM
Somebody commented to me today about the game on Friday. How can the 117th rated defense in the NCAA (last) hang with the #1 or #2 offense in the nation? The only answer is that they are really not the 117th rated defense. They are much much higher. So why did they play so badly? Effort, or lack of. No motivation. No faith in what they were doing. The knowledge that the game plan would not work. We have the athletes. Line up the Aggies in the 40 and we are equal. Bench press. Equal. We lack effort and coaching. That is squarely on Torbush's shoulders. It is on Fran's too. He has exactly one year to turn it around. No more. If he cannot motivate the kids, someone else will.

We will see where we go from here. One more losing year will be devastating. It will take 10 years to come out of it. As it is now, it will be 3-4 years.

AggieJohn
11-29-2005, 12:09 AM
possible considerations.....

randy shannon from THE U

nick alloti from oregon

and i've even heard of RC getting some consideration

TMer25
11-29-2005, 12:23 AM
I figured they'd look at Georgia Tech's coordinator, I don't see Shannon leaving The U, unless it's for a head coaching gig.

GreenMonster
11-29-2005, 12:33 AM
I'd love to see Bob Davie take off his headset and climb down from the booth to make a return to Aggieland as the DC. Go hire Davie and bring back the Wrecking Crew!!!!

AggieJohn
11-29-2005, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by TMer25
I figured they'd look at Georgia Tech's coordinator, I don't see Shannon leaving The U, unless it's for a head coaching gig. they pay the coaches at the U next to poop

gobbler grad
11-29-2005, 07:28 AM
you gotta start somewhere...let's see if they can get a good replacement...:thinking:

donjuan
11-29-2005, 07:54 AM
Maybe Fran isn't the answer as head coach either. He should have his team more motivated and competitive than they have been in most games this season. Lord knows he has the recruits to do it with.

Dogman_1969
11-29-2005, 08:50 AM
I sat behind RC in Church on Sunday. I'm not sure he would return to coaching. I've heard rumors he is building a new house for he and his wife. I think he is a really good coach that just got pushed out by boosters and aggie alums that wanted to run with the "Jones" (or Brown's for the real name). The ones who pushed RC out thought by replacing a very good coach who was rebuilding his team after several years of success they could instantly win. It appears that decision has failed so far.

I do think RC and coach Fran are very good coaches. You have to look at the big picture. Would UT or USC win if they had the same injuries at the key positions like aTm has this year? I think not........

AggieJohn
11-29-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by donjuan
Maybe Fran isn't the answer as head coach either. He should have his team more motivated and competitive than they have been in most games this season. Lord knows he has the recruits to do it with.

you could very much be right on this, however, i think by him letting go of Torbush, our defense can only get better, because hey we are dirt bottom right now......but i know this gets him another year..

Cardinalbb
11-29-2005, 09:52 AM
They should have never gotten rid of Slocum! Period! He was and is a great coach, and motivator, and I'm a UT fan.

TMer25
11-29-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
they pay the coaches at the U next to poop

They do, but he's also a graduate from there and has lots of ties to the area.

big daddy russ
11-29-2005, 12:44 PM
This whole situation reminds me of the ones at Nebraska, UT and Auburn a few years ago. Frank Solich had just finished a 9-3 season in Lincoln and got the rug pulled out from under him for Bill Callahan. BILL CALLAHAN!!! The Huskers then had their first losing season since 1445. That reminded me of the Slocum deal.

On that note, though, I do think it was time for Slocum to go. He seemed burned out.

On the other side of the coin...

UT and Auburn were different situations, but they still remind me of what's goin on right now. Two years ago at the lovliest village on the plains, some Auburn big wigs took a plane up to Louisville, KY in the middle of the night to talk to Bobby Petrino about coming back and taking Tommy Tuberville's spot at the helm of the Tiger program. Their dastardly plan was foiled, thanks to some good reporting and some good ol'-fashioned hate mail by Auburn alums citing that Tuberville had bested or at least tied their two rivals (Bama and UGA) since he had been there. So Tuberville got rid of the old OC and brought in Al Borges. The following year Tuberville took Auburn to a 13-0 record.

UT was doing the same thing with Mack Brown up until this year. I was never on the "Fire Mack" bandwagon. Two years ago, the fans in Austin wanted him out. So he fired his DC, hired Greg Robinson, and won the Rose Bowl. At the beginning of the year, there were still a lot of people calling for Mack's head. If he would've gone 10-2 and beaten OU I still don't know if it would've been enough. Robinson left for Syracuse, so Mack brought in Gene Chizik. Smart move. He's alright now, isn't he?

Another, final, example was Steve Spurrier back in the mid-90's. Couldn't get past FSU, couldn't win the big game. Florida fans were frustrated. Spurrier finally beat FSU in '95 (I think), but lost to Nebraska in the championship game. In '96, Spurrier lost to FSU during the regular season, but got his rematch in the championship game, and the UF kids were happy people once again.

I'm not going to jump off Fran's bandwagon just yet. Give him another year, another coordinator, to right the ship. I know that these examples are different because these coaches had nine-win seasons yearly, but I think Fran could be considered a good coach by the time he leaves Aggieland. It's all about the other coaches and the HC's willingness to let them do their job. That's what happened with Ditka and Walsh in the NFL, all these guys in the NCAA's, and Phil Danaher over in Calallen. Look at all the HC's that came out of those ranks... tells you a lot about the programs they ran.

Astrosdawg07
11-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
This whole situation reminds me of the ones at Nebraska, UT and Auburn a few years ago. Frank Solich had just finished a 9-3 season in Lincoln and got the rug pulled out from under him for Bill Callahan. BILL CALLAHAN!!! The Huskers then had their first losing season since 1445. That reminded me of the Slocum deal.

On that note, though, I do think it was time for Slocum to go. He seemed burned out.

On the other side of the coin...

UT and Auburn were different situations, but they still remind me of what's goin on right now. Two years ago at the lovliest village on the plains, some Auburn big wigs took a plane up to Louisville, KY in the middle of the night to talk to Bobby Petrino about coming back and taking Tommy Tuberville's spot at the helm of the Tiger program. Their dastardly plan was foiled, thanks to some good reporting and some good ol'-fashioned hate mail by Auburn alums citing that Tuberville had bested or at least tied their two rivals (Bama and UGA) since he had been there. So Tuberville got rid of the old OC and brought in Al Borges. The following year Tuberville took Auburn to a 13-0 record.

UT was doing the same thing with Mack Brown up until this year. I was never on the "Fire Mack" bandwagon. Two years ago, the fans in Austin wanted him out. So he fired his DC, hired Greg Robinson, and won the Rose Bowl. At the beginning of the year, there were still a lot of people calling for Mack's head. If he would've gone 10-2 and beaten OU I still don't know if it would've been enough. Robinson left for Syracuse, so Mack brought in Gene Chizik. Smart move. He's alright now, isn't he?

Another, final, example was Steve Spurrier back in the mid-90's. Couldn't get past FSU, couldn't win the big game. Florida fans were frustrated. Spurrier finally beat FSU in '95 (I think), but lost to Nebraska in the championship game. In '96, Spurrier lost to FSU during the regular season, but got his rematch in the championship game, and the UF kids were happy people once again.

I'm not going to jump off Fran's bandwagon just yet. Give him another year, another coordinator, to right the ship. I know that these examples are different because these coaches had nine-win seasons yearly, but I think Fran could be considered a good coach by the time he leaves Aggieland. It's all about the other coaches and the HC's willingness to let them do their job. That's what happened with Ditka and Walsh in the NFL, all these guys in the NCAA's, and Phil Danaher over in Calallen. Look at all the HC's that came out of those ranks... tells you a lot about the programs they ran.

Well I think most Aggies are ready to see Fran go. And I think Texas fans will finally start to appreciate Mack Brown if he makes it to Pasadena. GO HORNS!

raider red 2000
11-29-2005, 03:01 PM
me being a tech fan.

keep fran at ATM.....so that we can keep beatin them.

zeus63
11-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Thye should really consider getting new recruiters too.

AggieJohn
11-29-2005, 07:14 PM
the head coaches are the recruiters buddy

Astrosdawg07
11-29-2005, 07:15 PM

What do you mean by that? Do you means The coaches buddies are who makes recruiters?

AggieJohn
11-29-2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
The Huskers then had their first losing season since 1445.

wow, they really have been a dominant team over the "ages"

Astrosdawg07
11-29-2005, 07:18 PM

I swear I saw Nebraska picked to go to a bowl game. Did I dream that one?

Jody
11-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by zeus63
Thye should really consider getting new recruiters too.

They have a tough job selling College Station when you have an UT or OH out there begging (or buying) the same players.

Bulldog_12
11-29-2005, 08:13 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
[B]Well I think most Aggies are ready to see Fran go.[B] [QUOTE]

I think everyone here is pretty willing to give him another year seeing as Torbush is gone and given the play last Friday. Actually, after the game, everyone in Aggieland is really excited about next year. I just hope the excitement doesn't flop like this year did. But back to the topic, people here are willing to give fran one, maybe two years to get this moving. Next year is prime for a run as we get all of the big games at home except for UT. But if next year is just as dissappointing, look for Fran to fire the OC if he doesnt get the axe himself.

big daddy russ
11-29-2005, 10:18 PM
King George's favorite team.

big daddy russ
11-29-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
I swear I saw Nebraska picked to go to a bowl game. Did I dream that one?
No you didn't, but I never said anything about this year. Solich would've gone 9-2 with the talent they have.

whtfbplaya
11-30-2005, 12:02 AM
took long enough, so long it looks like the wrong move after the texas game.

zeus63
11-30-2005, 12:06 AM

I know that. And yes, I was implying that they need to get rid of their head coach. Maybe they can sweet talk R.C. into coming back.

whtfbplaya
11-30-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by zeus63
I know that. And yes, I was implying that they need to get rid of their head coach. Maybe they can sweet talk R.C. into coming back.

I wish