PDA

View Full Version : What 3A teams surprised you?

Paratrooper
11-28-2005, 09:31 PM
Just curious to everyones thoughts on which teams really surprised you good or bad?

I know this year for me, I was surprised in a good way for Hutto and also Kville. I think both proved they were good teams, and Hutto isn't even done yet.

On the flip side, I thought Jasper would have been the team to beat this year but fell short of expectations. However, jasper made it into a fine year for themselves at the end.

Astrosdawg07
11-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Paratrooper
Just curious to everyones thoughts on which teams really surprised you good or bad?

I know this year for me, I was surprised in a good way for Hutto and also Kville. I think both proved they were good teams, and Hutto isn't even done yet.

On the flip side, I thought Jasper would have been the team to beat this year but fell short of expectations. However, jasper made it into a fine year for themselves at the end.

I was dissapointed in Shepard.

Adidas410s
11-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Bridgeport...all over the place this year!

Monahans...came out of nowhere to everybody outside of West Texas.

Sinton...what happened guys???

LewP
11-28-2005, 09:46 PM
My vote is Iowa Park.

That coach did a great job of rebuilding in mid season...great job for that team.

VWG
11-28-2005, 10:09 PM
Iowa Park did a great job of building their team back to playoff caliber after their opening district loss to Breckenridge.

Bridgeport... I think they surprised everybody with how they were hanging tough throughout the playoffs. My vote for "Cardiac Kids" team.

Snyder... disappointing as they were highly ranked all year and bowed out in the first round.

WF Hirschi.... one of the two largest schools in 3A. Enrollment at 899 kids. The max you can have at the 3A level. Two years in 3A and they go 0-10 and 0-10. Thought they would at least get a win sometime, but after close losses to FW Arlington Heights, and coming within 10 pts. of Iowa Park in district.... something has to be done at that school to turn things around.

Wylie- great year for them, even with the close loss last week to Gainesville. They lost a good group last year, but had some key players coming back this year. Remember everybody picking them like 3rd in Dist. 4-3A? Dave Campbell's didn't even have them in their top 25. Sandifer just reloads. Enough said.

Adidas410s
11-28-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Wylie- Sandifer just reloads. Enough said.

I think next year will be one of his toughest challenges yet. With the exception of playmaker Gary Edwards, they are losing just about everybody. Will be fun to see who gets to fill the QB role as the last two "starting QB's" (I say that because 2002 was a 2-man rotation) have gone to ACU and Houston respectively.

GWOOD
11-28-2005, 10:23 PM
Hutto & Monahans would have to be the biggest surprises so far since they received little to none attention before the pre-season started.

Graham was picked to fight it out with Iowa Park for 1st place in 5-3A and made many Top 40 preseason polls. They didn't even make the playoffs.

SintonFan
11-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Bridgeport...all over the place this year!

Monahans...came out of nowhere to everybody outside of West Texas.

Sinton...what happened guys???
I agree with you on these.
Especially Sinton, I'm still scratching my head about the ending this year.:( We went from a coach saying we could compete for a chance a state this year to losing in the first round(no disrespect to Hondo). I went from a high of seeing us kill GP to struggling with what went on after that. The biggest dissapointment besides losing in the first round was not seeing how we stacked up to Cuero(but rita took care of that).:( :( :(

SintonFan
11-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
Hutto & Monahans would have to be the biggest surprises so far since they received little to none attention before the pre-season started.

Graham was picked to fight it out with Iowa Park for 1st place in 5-3A and made many Top 40 preseason polls. They didn't even make the playoffs.
Hutto after last year being ranked no.1 I think was kinda written off but have they turned it on lately.

VWG
11-28-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD

I was thinking about putting Monahans up there as a surprise team but then I thought, man with Coach Owens coming to town they will put out a winning program. Monahans has some history and tradition behind them. Wouldn't have thought they would have won against Snyder but they've proved to me they can hang in the playoffs.

Graham was a HUGE disappointment. Talk about falling fast.
They beat Abilene Wylie, play Marlin tough for the 1.25 quarters before they called the game due to lights going out at the stadium, beat Breckenridge for like the 10th year in a row, then fall in their last two games by a combined total of 8 points to miss the playoffs. First time in 6 years. Tough first year for new head coach McCoy. The only thing is.... they were very young. 4 sophomores started and if I am not mistaken two were picked 1st team All-District this week. That's with Iowa Park, Vernon, and Breckenridge in that district. Look at Graham next year, as you heard it hear first.... could have a freshman starting QB next year. McCoy has a son that will be a freshman next year, already about 6-1 and probably 155-165 who can throw.

ILS1
11-28-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Hutto after last year being ranked no.1

You're probably thinking of Manor. They were ranked #1 for one week and then ran into LH. Hutto hasn't been #1 in the past 2 years or the Top 10.

:D

Hupernikomen
11-28-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Paratrooper

I certainly agree with the Hutto and Kirbyville thoughts. Jasper probably did about as well as to be expected considering the class we graduated and the lose of Moye. IMO.

SintonFan
11-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
You're probably thinking of Manor. They were ranked #1 for one week and then ran into LH. Hutto hasn't been #1 in the past 2 years or the Top 10.

:D
Was that Manor???
Dangit, I guess it's hard to forget a mascot like the hungry hungry Hippos.:inlove:

ILS1
11-28-2005, 10:59 PM
Yep,it was them. Same district as Hutto. They were ranked #1 for one week. Then they lost 6 of their last 8 games,if my memory serves me correctly.

:eek:

Mustang '89
11-28-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
Yep,it was them. Same district as Hutto. They were ranked #1 for one week. Then they lost 6 of their last 8 games,if my memory serves me correctly.

:eek:

You have a very good memory.... :crying: :crying: