PDA

View Full Version : SW to face Monahans in 3A quarterfinal(Preview Article)

Phantom Stang
11-28-2005, 06:45 PM
SW to face Monahans in 3A quarterfinal
By RON HOWELL/Reporter Sports Editor

And now a warning from the U.S. sur-geon general: this Friday's Class 3A, Division II state quarterfinal between Sweetwater and Monahans could by haz-ardous to your health.

Not really. But if the teams' 7:30 p.m. matchup at Midland's Grande Commu-nications Stadium is anything like their two regional contests this past weekend, it could be among the most exciting in Texas schoolboy history.

Sweetwater (12-1) needed one of its big-gest comebacks ever to beat Iowa Park, 27-21, in overtime. The Mustangs scored two touchdowns in the final 5:17 of regulation to overcome a 14-point deficit, and won the game on a 1-yard run by Kendal Carrillo.

While that game provided a memorable finish, it failed to match the almost minute-to-minute drama of the other Region I-3A playoff between Monahans and Bridgeport, which was held Saturday night at Mustang Bowl.

The two teams also went down to the wire - and beyond - in a high-scoring thriller until Monahans (13-0) won 43-42 in overtime, thanks to a couple of plays by Loboes linebacker-kicker T.J. Brooks.

Bridgeport (7-6) tied the game at 36 on a 35-yard pass from Ryan Durban to Colin Jones with 11 seconds left.

But instead of lining up a game-winning extra point kick, the Bulls - who did not convert on any of their seven PAT attempts and lined up to kick only twice with their regular kicker Jason Garrett sidelined by injury - decided to go for two. But Brooks stopped Bridgeport runner Aaron Holt just inches from the goal line.

The Bulls scored first in overtime on a 29-yard pass from Durban to Jones to take a 42-36 lead, but again failed on a conver-sion pass. Monahans took over, and faced third-and-five from the 20 when quarter-back Chase Cornelius connected with Sean Merrick to tie the game at 42. Brooks then kicked the extra point to break the tie and send the Loboes into the quarterfinals.

Ten of the game's 13 touchdowns came on plays of 20 yards or more, and neither team led by more than nine points.

Sweetwater will host another playoff this Saturday as Crane (12-1) and Childress (11-2) meet in a Class 2A, Division II quarterfinal at 6 p.m. Childress defeated Coleman, 38-7, here last Friday while Crane knocked off Idalou, 27-13, in Midland.

Copyright © 2005 Sweetwater Reporter

ML05
11-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Good article. Thanks for posting. I'm predicting a nail biter this weekend! The Crane game should be a good one as well.

GetRDoneStangs
11-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by ML05
Good article. Thanks for posting. I'm predicting a nail biter this weekend! The Crane game should be a good one as well.

totally aggree!

I cant wait.

gobblerfan02
11-28-2005, 07:45 PM
GO S-H2O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEAT MONAHANS!

LewP
11-28-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02

BEAT MONAHANS!

GO TURKEYS!!!!!!!!!!!

BEAT LIBERTY MOUND!!!!!!!!

LOL

GetRDoneStangs
11-28-2005, 07:46 PM

BEAT MONAHANS!

Haha heck yes

jmcgee
11-28-2005, 09:39 PM

BEAT MONAHANS! Gobblers good luck against Liberty hill hope yall win.

Bubba-Joe
11-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by jmcgee
Gobblers good luck against Liberty hill hope yall win.
AND TO THINK LIBERTY HILL MOM MADE YOU THAT NICE SIGNATURE

TISK TISK
MY MY NO LOYALTY HERE