PDA

View Full Version : Also heard the Abilene Cooper Coach/Ad has been "re-assigned"

Johnny Moxen
11-28-2005, 06:27 PM
I also heard from a "very reliable source" that the Abilene Cooper Head Coach/AD has been "re-assigned". According to my source, the Principal told the team then Coach Seacord came in and told the team he wasn't going to be their coach anymore.

injuredinmelee
11-28-2005, 07:41 PM
good riddance

injuredinmelee
11-28-2005, 07:48 PM
Secord no longer Cooper football coach, athletic director
By Troy Shockley / Reporter-News Staff Writer
November 28, 2005

Posted 6:25 p.m. After two seasons that saw the Cooper High School football program miss the playoffs for the first time in more than a decade the go winless in district play, the school has decided to make a change.

Football head coach Marty Secord has been reassigned and will no longer work at Cooper as either head football coach or athletic director — positions he had held since his hiring in April of 2004.

Advertisement

The decision to reassign Secord was made by Cooper principal Gail Gregg. Gregg said that while he met with AISD Superintendent David Polnick in regards to the reassignment, ultimately the principal made the call for change.

"I was not pleased with the direction the program was headed," Gregg said. "We’ve been to the playoffs for 12 of the last 14 years. Last year we were very, very close. We missed it by one point, really, and this year instead of building on that we didn’t win a district game.

"This was a very difficult decision. Marty’s a good man and a good friend, but it was a decision that had to be made."

Secord, who finished his two years at Cooper with a 9-11 record, was notified of his reassignment at 8:30 a.m. Monday.

Adidas410s
11-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Well if they wouldn't keep re-drawing the lines so that Abilene High could "return to glory" then he would have a chance to win. Heck they have to be the smallest team in 5A. In Quisenberry's last year, their biggest player was 6-1 210 lbs and played both ways @ tackle and DE...that just isn't going to cut it in 5A ball. Personally, I think Wylie could have beaten Cooper the last two years simply because of the lack of size, talent, and depth at Cooper.

LewP
11-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Well if they wouldn't keep re-drawing the lines so that Abilene High could "return to glory" then he would have a chance to win. Heck they have to be the smallest team in 5A. In Quisenberry's last year, their biggest player was 6-1 210 lbs and played both ways @ tackle and DE...that just isn't going to cut it in 5A ball. Personally, I think Wylie could have beaten Cooper the last two years simply because of the lack of size, talent, and depth at Cooper.

Adidas,

What's the status on the one school in Abilene now? At one time that was a hot story.

Adidas410s
11-28-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by LewP
Adidas,

What's the status on the one school in Abilene now? At one time that was a hot story.

It was talked about a lot last year but has been pretty quiet this year. As much as it needs to happen...it won't

Johnny Utah
11-28-2005, 08:58 PM
Wow!!! Another Head Coach going down. Wonder if the principal will be replaced if the TAKS scores are not up to snuff???

VWG
11-28-2005, 10:14 PM
I've heard they are going to redo the boundary lines AGAIN for AISD.
They will never have one high school in Abilene. I don't think that making one huge 5A school for Abilene will ever pass. Too many people out there who want to hang on to AHS and Cooper.

3afan
11-28-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
It was talked about a lot last year but has been pretty quiet this year. As much as it needs to happen...it won't

curious ... why does that "need" to happen?

injuredinmelee
11-29-2005, 10:20 AM
It needs to happen to cut costs in a district that has seen a huge drop in numbers over the last 10 years and it is only gonna get worse. You build one school you save on staffing, building maintenance costs etc. Who cares about tradition lets do what is right for the KIDS and the TAXPAYERS.