PDA

View Full Version : If Your Team Goes Away, Do You?

Bullaholic
11-28-2005, 02:25 PM
One of the big things we try to teach our kids is to never give up and don't quit. I hope that many of you will not quit reading the forum and posting to it, even though your team may not still be in the "playoff" hunt. We are a community of avid Texas High School sports fans and one of out greatest "strengths" is contributed by the fun of learning about each other's teams, traditions,players, and most importantly--each other-- each week. Everybody makes a "bold" or even "outrageous" prediction occasionally, and I hope that no one suffers from fear of embarrasment to the extent that they quit contributing to the board because of this. Eating "crow" or admitting that you "missed" correctly predicting a game result or two goes with the territory---nobody is immune. I hope we can all "adopt" foster teams to support during the playoffs, and continue to make the playoffs the "magic" experience that it is every year for these kids.

Adidas410s
11-28-2005, 02:30 PM
Funny you mention that because I tend to turn into a "reader" once the season is over except for around reallignment time...because Wylie is always amongst big speculation as to where they will end up! I am a 6 months on/6 months off kinda guy on this board when it comes to posting.

LewP
11-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
One of the big things we try to teach our kids is to never give up and don't quit. I hope that many of you will not quit reading the forum and posting to it, even though your team may not still be in the "playoff" hunt. We are a community of avid Texas High School sports fans and one of out greatest "strengths" is contributed by the fun of learning about each other's teams, traditions,players, and most importantly--each other-- each week. Everybody makes a "bold" or even "outrageous" prediction occasionally, and I hope that no one suffers from fear of embarrasment to the extent that they quit contributing to the board because of this. Eating "crow" or admitting that you "missed" correctly predicting a game result or two goes with the territory---nobody is immune. I hope we can all "adopt" foster teams to support during the playoffs, and continue to make the playoffs the "magic" experience that it is every year for these kids.

Great post Bull,
With that said, I would like to speak on behalf of Sweetwater and say we hope you were treated well while you visited our town. I want to go on to say we Mustangs would very much appreciate Bridgeport's support in our quest for the continuance of the state run.
I have learned alot about Bridgeport in the past two weeks and ya'll seem like a community with alot of class.

I don't know if I have a right to ask ya'll but we would just appreciate ya'll support.

Thank ya'll and thanks for selecting Sweetwater and considering Sweetwater as host for ya'll's playoff game against Monahans.

Lew Patton

http://blogs.reporter-news.com/abil/Sweetwater/

Maroon87
11-28-2005, 02:34 PM
I hang in there until the season is over, whether we're still in it or not. I get over heartbreak pretty easily. I should...being a CalCat I've dealt with it quite a bit!:mad:

vet93
11-28-2005, 02:37 PM
My team was knocked out by re-alignment two years ago....I have adopted several "foster" teams....they are: A. Wylie, Sweetwater, Monahans, Sinton, Cuero, Bridgeport, Vernon, Canton....and the list keeps growing. The interesting thing is that I now root for teams that I would have never rooted for just because I have "met" people from there on this board. My only dilemma now is when two of my "foster teams" play each other!:)

Ranger Mom
11-28-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by vet93
My team was knocked out by re-alignment two years ago....I have adopted several "foster" teams....they are: A. Wylie, Sweetwater, Monahans, Sinton, Cuero, Bridgeport, Vernon, Canton....and the list keeps growing. The interesting thing is that I now root for teams that I would have never rooted for just because I have "met" people from there on this board. My only dilemma now is when two of my "foster teams" play each other!:)

:( :( Greenwood is no longer on your "list":( :(

Adidas410s
11-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

who would want them on any list? :p

Yeah I am kinda the same way in the Graham was definitely my "adopted" team with my brothers being in the high school there.

3ABirdMan
11-28-2005, 02:48 PM
I tend to read ALOT during the season, and post a LITTLE. Once we're out (like NOW :mad: ), I stay on and read until the end of the season when the Champions are crowned. Then, because my daughter is so heavily involved in softball, there's just not enough time the rest of the year to stay on. Football season is the layed-back, relaxed, slower-paced fallball season for softball, so it's not that intense.

vet93, you can adopt a Bridge City Cardinal, if you would like - they don't eat much, require minimal living space, and generally are pretty quite. I don't see any of the other DOMINANT SE TEXAS REGION III TEAMS on your list:D .

Ranger Mom
11-28-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
who would want them on any list? :p

I used to like you!

Adidas410s
11-28-2005, 02:57 PM
I used to like you!

Now now...I just wanted you to make a case for your team! It gives you a chance to think about "the good ole days!" :D

Phil C
11-28-2005, 03:00 PM
I am here all year long even though it is a struggle to find things to talk about especially when your team is no longer in the hunt or it is off season.

:D

Adidas410s
11-28-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I am here all year long even though it is a struggle to find things to talk about especially when your team is no longer in the hunt or it is off season.

Texas is always in the hunt...and there are always great movies on TV...so you will always have something to talk about! :)

AP Panther Fan
11-28-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

Your sports trivia and Ranger Mom's Christmas Trivia are always fun. ;)

Phil C......you always have one sport or another to post about. Just when one season ends, another begins.;) :D

GreenMonster
11-28-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm still here and we got knocked out by the Mustangs. Instead of disappearing, I decided to jump on the Sweetwater bandwagon. Spread the Red!

vet93
11-28-2005, 03:18 PM
The Rangers are most certainly on the list......I am sorry for accidently leaving them off...they have been on my favorites list before...I just didn't get it typed in....while I was typing...I thought to myself..."I hope I don't leave someone off" My bad....am I forgiven? By the way....I am working on going to the Monahans/Sweetwater game on Friday....Is a M/G planned?

pirate4state
11-28-2005, 03:19 PM
Sinton has a great softball team, returning all 9 starters and some extra help coming up and baseball should do well again this year so I'll be around. Of course, I gotta root for the Region IV teams in football still so...

44INAROW
11-28-2005, 03:20 PM
After the heartbreak last year in Waco, I posted as soon as I woke up the next morning and was feeling much better within an hour or so. It was kinda like therapy :)

catdad
11-28-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm still here, just a little heartbroken. Our guys had a good run and played some really tough teams. This year is a bit harder for me because my son is a senior and I wathced him walk off the field for the last time. No matter the outcome our guys played like champions. I hope they relaize that. Thanks to the Wildcat players and coaches for a great season.

Now on to Basketball(my youngest is a junior so I have two years left to enjoy).

S-WtrMustangFan
11-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I'm still here and we got knocked out by the Mustangs. Instead of disappearing, I decided to jump on the Sweetwater bandwagon. Spread the Red! Thanks for your support Green Monster.With the toughness and the heart that your team has i know we will face the Hawks again next year.Go Mustangs!!!!

AP Panther Fan
11-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
After the heartbreak last year in Waco, I posted as soon as I woke up the next morning and was feeling much better within an hour or so. It was kinda like therapy :)

I agree, sometimes it is therapeutic....and at other times....it just feels like someone is twisting the knife or maybe pouring a little salt in the "old" wound.:D

Nine times out of ten...it's all good. ;)

NateDawg39
11-28-2005, 04:11 PM
I tend to be more annoying when my team is gone:D

DaHop72
11-28-2005, 04:12 PM
But what if you have ties to 2 teams?:thinking: :thinking:

44INAROW
11-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
But what if you have ties to 2 teams?:thinking: :thinking:

keep quiet and after the game is over, say you were rooting for the winning team all alone :D

DaHop72
11-28-2005, 04:15 PM
keep quiet and after the game is over, say you were rooting for the winning team all alone :D
But one is out of the playoffs and the other is still in, so it's okay to root for the one still in right??:D

44INAROW
11-28-2005, 04:19 PM
But one is out of the playoffs and the other is still in, so it's okay to root for the one still in right??:D

Sure :D

DaHop72
11-28-2005, 04:20 PM
Sure :D
Thanks, 44:D :D

JasperDog94
11-28-2005, 04:24 PM
I tend to do more reading than posting once my team is out.

WitchyWoman
11-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Well I definately adopt a few. My Tigers are out and now I'm in a pickle because I've been rooting for Monahans and S'water........
Now what????? Guess I'll just have to go with

MAY THE BEST TEAM WIN !!! and GOOD LUCK !!!

GO LOBOES........... GO STANGS

:confused:

DaHop72
11-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by WitchyWoman
Well I definately adopt a few. My Tigers are out and now I'm in a pickle because I've been rooting for Monahans and S'water........
Now what????? Guess I'll just have to go with

MAY THE BEST TEAM WIN !!! and GOOD LUCK !!!

GO LOBOES........... GO STANGS

:confused:
Gee, now your jumping off the Sweetwater wagon you had gotten on and now your straddling the fence. Just like a woman, can't make up her mind.:D :D

WitchyWoman
11-28-2005, 04:47 PM
Gee, now your jumping off the Sweetwater wagon you had gotten on and now your straddling the fence. Just like a woman, can't make up her mind.:D :D

Well darnit it's my parogative right ???? I'm not changing my mind I'm just :confused: But when it all comes down to it guess my heart is with the Stangs go 4-3A :kiss:

LewP
11-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Well darnit it's my parogative right ???? I'm not changing my mind I'm just :confused: But when it all comes down to it guess my heart is with the Stangs go 3-3A :kiss:

I hate to be nit picky...but the Mustangs are in 4-3A:rolleyes:

DaHop72
11-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Well darnit it's my parogative right ???? I'm not changing my mind I'm just :confused: But when it all comes down to it guess my heart is with the Stangs go 3-3A :kiss:
Thata girl, and yes it is your parogative.:kiss: :kiss:

WitchyWoman
11-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by LewP
I hate to be nit picky...but the Mustangs are in 4-3A:rolleyes:

LMAO I know that so are the Tigers.... give me a break I had a birthday and a 5day weekend... I told you I'm confused. You caught it before I could edit..........
:confused: :confused: :confused:

LewP
11-28-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I'm still here and we got knocked out by the Mustangs. Instead of disappearing, I decided to jump on the Sweetwater bandwagon. Spread the Red!

Clint, I swear you crack me up!!!

You are gonna force me to come up there and buy you a beverage. LOL

I always said Iowa Park fans are some of the best fans in Texas. Thanks Bro..

Jody
11-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Here waiting for the first, "What town has the best BBQ" or "Who has the best chicken fried steak"........:D

On a good night, it may turn to "Astros win another", or Jessica Simpson married Jody in Orange, Texas....something along those lines.:D

My favorite of all times, "WOS Sucks"....:D

GreenMonster
11-28-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by LewP
Clint, I swear you crack me up!!!

You are gonna force me to come up there and buy you a beverage. LOL

I always said Iowa Park fans are some of the best fans in Texas. Thanks Bro..

Lew, you should have been at the game to hear us, we were loud and proud. HAWK FIRST DOWN!!! Several of the Mustang faithful have complimented us on our exuberance. It was nice to be recognized by the opposing fans. By the way, that Coach Jackson sure is a fiery guy. I forgot how intense his coaching style is. Gotta love that about him.

GetRDoneStangs
11-28-2005, 05:43 PM

I will add Greenwood to my list. Yall were a good team when we played yall, enjoyed the good sportsman ship. Im looking forward to playing Monahans , I think they will give us a good game just as IP did.

See yall @t Grande :D

haha or San Angelo or Snyder according to some of the goofballs here :nerd: :rolleyes:

TAMUGRAD
11-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I tend to do more reading than posting once my team is out.

I tend to do more posting in the off season and through the summer. Once the season starts I usually just read. There seem to be more personal attacks while the season is playing out, I don't care for that stuff too much.

WitchyWoman
11-28-2005, 05:48 PM
[
haha or San Angelo or Snyder according to some of the goofballs here :nerd: :rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

:confused: :confused: :rolleyes: What ?????

GetRDoneStangs
11-28-2005, 05:50 PM
oh some of the people here were so shure that we were playing in San Angelo or Snyder on friday and told me they were right

Bullaholic
11-28-2005, 05:51 PM
[
haha or San Angelo or Snyder according to some of the goofballs here :nerd: :rolleyes:

:confused: :confused: :rolleyes: What ????? [/B][/QUOTE]

I think there was some early speculation among the Sweetwater fans about Monahans/Sweetwater being played in San Angelo or Snyder, Witchy.

WitchyWoman
11-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
oh some of the people here were so shure that we were playing in San Angelo or Snyder on friday and told me they were right

Oh darnit I wish then I could just walk down the street... Good LUCK Stangs :clap:

Ranger Mom
11-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by vet93
The Rangers are most certainly on the list......I am sorry for accidently leaving them off...they have been on my favorites list before...I just didn't get it typed in....while I was typing...I thought to myself..."I hope I don't leave someone off" My bad....am I forgiven? By the way....I am working on going to the Monahans/Sweetwater game on Friday....Is a M/G planned?

Hehe...I knew they were, I just had to give you a hard time.

Yes, we are planning a meet and greet. There should be a post floating around here somewhere that tells about it!

Ranger Mom
11-28-2005, 05:57 PM
I didn't realize we were "supposed" to quit posting when our team was out......I must have been out when that memo came around.:D

Seriously though, this place is like a second home to me....I would feel lost if I didn't post at least ONE time everyday....365 days a year!!:p

GetRDoneStangs
11-28-2005, 06:14 PM
I didn't realize we were "supposed" to quit posting when our team was out......I must have been out when that memo came around.:D

Seriously though, this place is like a second home to me....I would feel lost if I didn't post at least ONE time everyday....365 days a year!!:p

haha I know that is so true!

BrahmaDAD70
11-28-2005, 06:48 PM
This was my first year here and not being a big homer has paid
off and I have not had to eat a whole lot of crow.
I do admit after Bellville lost I had a hard time coming into
3ADL but when I came back I realized there was no shame we
were just beaten by a better team and there is nothing wrong
with that. Good luck to the rest of 3A that is left.
Remember, If no players get injured then we all win.

LH Panther Mom
11-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Heck no, I don't go. :p

jmcgee
11-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Once Jan. Comes I usually go into hybernation.

RMAC
11-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Well said Bullaholic. I love this place so much that I list it on college scholarship apps. as a club/organization that I'm involved in.

garciap77
11-28-2005, 08:14 PM
No way! This is a good place to learn about other 3A teams and also some of the posters. I have only been a memeber since OCT but I had been visiting on and off for the last three years. I wished I had joined sooner. Plus, you can support you dist/Region and other teams you might like. Also, good place to see who is coming up for the following year.

Ranger Mom
11-28-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
No way! This is a good place to learn about other 3A teams and also some of the posters. I have only been a memeber since OCT but I had been visiting on and off for the last three years. I wished I had joined sooner. Plus, you can support you dist/Region and other teams you might like. Also, good place to see who is coming up for the following year.

I have to hand it to posters who read for a while before they ever join....I didn't have that "discipline". I joined within the first 5 minutes of stumbling across the site and never looked back!

WitchyWoman
12-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by garciap77

Good Point... I've met lots of people here on the downlow. I definately support my 4 3A even though my Tigers are out.

Go Sweetwater Mustangs....... Get Em'

Adidas410s
12-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
Well said Bullaholic. I love this place so much that I list it on college scholarship apps. as a club/organization that I'm involved in.

little trick...stealing my ideas...

lostaussie
12-01-2005, 06:16 PM
I have to hand it to posters who read for a while before they ever join....I didn't have that "discipline". I joined within the first 5 minutes of stumbling across the site and never looked back! that was me. i read this thing nearly every day for a year befor signing in. don't have a clue what i was waiting on!!!!!!!!

CheerMom
12-01-2005, 07:09 PM
I still hang around and root for the teams still playing from out of my district. But, now that we are all playing basketball, I read more than post.
After the realignment, I'm pretty sure we will be 2A, but I know that I will still have to come on and post now and then. I won't be able to kick the addiction. :D

AggieJohn
12-01-2005, 07:12 PM
heck i post less during the football season......so you know i'm around High School Fan :)