PDA

View Full Version : Decatur/ Bridgeport game film report

Chief Woodman
10-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Here are some of the answers to the questions about the game.

About the tme outs called by Decatur on kickoff and PAT

The one on the kickoff was because B'port QB was standing right to where we intended to kick it to. Good job by the Decatur coaches for catching it and changing things up.

On the PAT it was because the Kicker (Christian) had just made the TD and had been very active for several plays. It was called to give him a minute to recover.

About the dropped balls by B'port recievers

ZERO dropped balls until the score was 35-14. Serveral apeared to be dropped when looking at full speed (even I had thought so when at the game) But when on game film, two were overthrows that would have required a NFL type grab (Not the recievers fault) and the rest...every single one of them were deflected by Decatur D.

About the 2 Decatur TD's called back

The 60 yard run by McKinney was a terrible call. The call was made on Christian for a block in the back. Looks possible when seeing from the sidelinbe cammera, but from the endzone view you can clearly see that Christian had been in contact with the B'port defender, but when McKinney got near they separated and the defener was untouched and dove at McKinney. So if like air it out says it shows on your game film (If he even saw the film...he either has to be a coach or a player or making it up because he posted that statement prior to anyone but those folks seeing the film)...then you need to look at the endzone view...it is unmistakeably a bad call.

The TD called back before half time was not good..(the defender was backing into the reciever who the official called for a pick block, he was NOT being blocked. In fact the reciever who got the flag was the intended reciever going for the ball...our guy who caught the ball and scored had run the wrong route and stepped in front). Yet I can certainly see how that would be confusing unless you had isolated on the intended guy from the start. Not a great call, but certainly understandable.

About Dnae's wounded Duck throw

Was not a ball that slipped. B'port did an excellnt pass rush and hit Dane as he released causing the poor pass. Good job Bulls D.

Bulls running game

Very impressed by the RB getting yards after contact. He looked really good.

Unsportsman like conduct near end of the game

Just a bad choice out of frustration. He did not swing at McKinney, but at the defender on the play. According to NCAA rule he must sit at least half if not all of next game. Officials says that District committee by-laws govern in this case, but it is not covered in the district by-laws. SO.....LD coach say follow NCAA and he sits...B'port Coach says he sould get to play. District committe will rule this week.

Bulls played a good game and should be proud.

But to those and only to those think that Decatur is not as good as you thought and they will not do well later. Yes the score could have and should have been at least 49-14(if the 2 calls would have been made correctly). That is not intended as a slap on Bridgeport......but please take that into consideration when decideing how good or bad Decatur is. I had thought we did not do as well as I had anticipated before the game. But after seeing the game film...I have changed my mind. NO INSULT INTENED AND NOT BEING A HOMER...I TRY TO BE VERY HONEST IN ANY ASSESSMENT I MAKE.

<small>[ October 20, 2003, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Chief Woodman ]</small>

Chief Woodman
10-20-2003, 09:17 PM
OOPS! Forgot one thing...about the Bridgeport fake punt that got stuffed. Bridgeport coaching staff saw something in scouting and it nearly worked. Decatur got lucky. Every Decatur defended was sealed off to the inside but one man. The man who made the tackle had two guys who were supposed to block him. They turned upfield instead untill it was too late. If they had done what they were supposed to do and kicked him out, Bridgeport would have easily gotten the first down. Not a bad coaching call, just poor execution by two players.

slpybear the bullfan
10-20-2003, 09:59 PM
RE: the fake punt... Glad to hear that info. As I alluded to earlier, we "bleacher coaches" are easily frustrated. No one believes they can get down on the field and step into the Head Coaches shoes, but a lot of us love to sit up in the stands and think (and Yell) like we can. :p

Good analysis, Chief.

Chief Woodman
10-21-2003, 09:21 AM
Hey the game films don't lie man. Bridgeport had several plays that came really close to being big plays. On game night I thought several Bulls recivers dropped passes and that the fake punt was silly. Even thought that Decatur had somwhat of an off night and that the game was closer than the score indicated. Game films are good to see, helps put things in proper perspective. You guys should be in the playoffs.

airitout
10-21-2003, 09:54 AM
Chief....In everything, it always depends on whether you are pitching or catching. You can try to have an unbiased view but it just doesn't happen for you, me or anyone else for that matter. A pick is a pick whether it is intentional or not. My point in the post was to reiterate that the best team won. While looking at the game film, I can see lots of things that could have been called on Decatur but no call was made. Did I look for calls not called on Bridgeport? Nope....The game film is shown on cable here on Saturday mornings. Really don't see what agitated you about my post but no offense intended. I thought Decatur was very good and that Christian could very well be one of the top receivers in the state. That kind of talent is tough to defend especially when you have to defend against the run equally.

Chief Woodman
10-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Well it was called a pick so that is what it was....but when a defender is falling down backwards and makes contact with someone who is not even looking at him...it is not really a pic. No more than if a ball is throw 20 yards out of bounds and contact is made after the ball is out of bounds would be pass intrference. But if the ref calls it that, that is what it becomes.

I do try to be unbiased as possible...ie B'port had several plays that was close to being big palys...Decatur got lucky on the fake punt. That does not seem too biased to me. By the way I am not easily offended. When someone makes statements that do not seem to be logical or incorrect I do respond to clarify or seek clarification. Hope this did not offend you. Good luck to the Bulls this week. Hope you get your reciever back.