PDA

View Full Version : A little article on Hondo

Boosty_Hondo
11-25-2005, 11:33 AM
Football: Thanks to Werner, Hondo is flying high

Web Posted: 11/25/2005 12:00 AM CST
Lorne Chan
Express-News Staff Writer

HONDO — Andy Werner found out how to upstage Santa Claus.

It only takes seven touchdowns.

Last Friday, Werner led Hondo to a 55-45 victory over Hidalgo with 350 total yards and seven TDs. The next day, Werner and the football team were honorary chairs of Hondo's annual Christmas parade.

"They're so important here," Hondo Chamber of Commerce executive director Evelyne Barbutti said, "that they came before Santa and got a bigger applause."

With good reason. After beginning this season 0-3, Hondo is 8-4 and in the Class 3A Division I state quarterfinals for the first time since 1999. The Owls face Wimberley tonight in Kerrville.

The Owls' playoff run began with a 34-20 victory over Sinton in bidistrict. Sinton entered the game with a 9-0 record and a No. 6 statewide ranking by the Associated Press.

But against Hidalgo, the Owls trailed 38-27 with 6:44 remaining in the fourth quarter.

Werner, a 6-foot-1, 190-pound junior running back, had accounted for all 27 of Hondo's points with three rushing TDs, a receiving TD and three extra points. All with a stinger in his neck.

He injured his neck trying to make a tackle in the first quarter, but Werner, also the starting free safety, continued to play.

"I hurt it twice more later in the game," Werner said. "My whole left arm was numb, but you don't really feel it because you just want to win so bad."

Werner somehow had enough left to lead the comeback, rushing for three more TDs in the fourth quarter. He also intercepted a pass with a minute left to clinch the victory.

"I do what I have to do," Werner said. "Especially if it means seven touchdowns to help the team win."

Werner finished with 22 carries for 285 yards and six TDs, three catches for 65 yards and a TD and five extra points.

This season, he's second in the area in scoring with 30 TDs (22 rushing, eight receiving).

"All I'd do is hand him the ball and watch him run 60 yards," quarterback Elliot Hackebeil said. "I'd stand there and go, 'See you later Andy, go ahead and score.' It's pretty nice."

After the game, Werner asked Hondo coach P.J. Wells if he got nervous when the Owls were trailing by 11 points. Wells said he wasn't, especially when Werner scored three plays later.

Wells said Werner personifies Hondo's team mentality. The Owls may be underdogs, they may be hurting or behind, but the team has so much confidence that the only nervous ones on the sidelines might be the coaches.

This could be another nerve-wracking week as another Region IV giant awaits. Wimberley (12-0) was No. 5 in the state, and is coming off a 62-7 victory over West Columbia.

"It would be an honor to be able to say we beat these guys when we watch them on Saturdays for the next four years," defensive end Adrian Quiroz said.

If Hondo can pull off the upset, another parade is already being planned

Link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/hssports/football/stories/MYSA112505.12C.FBHhondo.178140eb.html)

44INAROW
11-25-2005, 11:35 AM
Nice article Boosty - Good Luck tonight in Kerrville :)

PhiI C
11-25-2005, 11:41 AM
Good luck Boosty! Hope you all can win the game.

pirate4state
11-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Nice article!! Good Luck tonight!! :cheerl: