PDA

View Full Version : Melee erupts in Private School State Title Game

Ranger Mom
11-24-2005, 08:52 AM
Trinity awarded TCAL title

By Len Hayward
Midland Reporter-Telegram
11/22/2005

The Midland Trinity football team celebrated a state championship on Monday afternoon, a few days later than originally planned.

The Texas Christian Athletic League awarded the Chargers the 2005 football championship after a meeting of the league's ethics committee, TCAL spokesman Chris Polanco said Monday. Saturday's TCAL state title game was suspended early in the second quarter following a fight between the two teams.

Trinity coach Chris Jauz said he told his team of the decision on Monday afternoon.

"It should've been a moment that should have been enjoyed and always remembered," Jauz said. "It feels like Jerry Springer or something."

Polanco said members of TCAL's ethics committee, including president and founder Dr. Gilbert Perez, met in a conference call on Monday morning to address Saturday's incident.

Polanco added TCAL officials looked at the game film and spoke with the officials, which was a crew from the San Antonio chapter of the Texas Association of Sports Officials. They also took testimony from the officials and from representatives of both teams, Polanco said.

Later in the afternoon the organization awarded Trinity the title and sent the trophy through the mail to Midland.

Perez was not available for comment and Pasadena South Shaver coach Bryan Nelson could not be reached for comment.

"I've been involved when a pretty good melee broke out on the field but nothing like this," Jauz said. "It's just unfortunate that something like this would have to happen ... let alone in the state game."

The Chargers' state championship game with Pasadena South Shaver at the Winston School in San Antonio was suspended early in the second quarter after a scuffle broke out between both teams. The Chargers were leading 37-6 and scored five touchdowns on close to 10 offensive plays in the first two quarters.

Punches were thrown on two separate plays, Jauz said, and after the second, the scuffle escalated. The fight was broken up but the game was not resumed.

Both teams and their fans were asked to leave at separate times and the police also arrived at the game to help alleviate the situation.

Jauz added that the officials ejected him for touching an opposing player during the scuffle, and a Pasadena South Shaver player and a Trinity player also would have not been able to finish had the game continued.

"You could see the frustration building up in them and the cheap shots were starting to come," Jauz said. "My team did nothing wrong. We are getting punched and I go out on the field to get one of my players and at some point you've got to protect yourself."

The Chargers finished the season with their first TCAL state championship since 1999 and ended up with a 9-2 record this season.

VWG
11-24-2005, 10:14 AM
Was this 6-man or 11-man game?

Ranger Mom
11-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Was this 6-man or 11-man game?

Trinity moved to 6-man last season, I believe!

3ABirdMan
11-24-2005, 11:36 AM
Was anyone INJURED IN MELEE?

Where is melee, anyway?

(sorry - not really a good thing to joke about, but I just couldn't hold back:doh: )

AggieJohn
11-24-2005, 11:41 AM
i thought it was a decent joke

pantherpop
11-24-2005, 11:52 AM
It was pretty funny.