PDA

View Full Version : *** Capital of the World

44INAROW
11-23-2005, 12:22 PM
Maroonpirates' thread got me to thinking.... most towns in Texas are famous for something.. What is your town "most famous" or "capital" of?

Cuero - Turkey Capital of the World (along with our sister city, Worthington Minn)

Astrosdawg07
11-23-2005, 12:23 PM
Unfortanuately we know what Jasper is famous for.:rolleyes: , if people could only see the real Jasper. But thanks to the national media, they have completely killed Jasper's rep.

Pmoney
11-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Snyder is kinda known for the last white buffalo was killed here...that would be the only thing that makes us famous

Bullaholic
11-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Bridgeport, TX - "Rock City", the crushed limestone aggregate capital of the world.

Where men are men, and the women are glad. :D

Home field of the "Bridgeport Air Force" and the Bulls.

sww-bull52
11-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Worlds Largest Rattlesnake Roundup.

vet93
11-23-2005, 12:51 PM
San Angelo...The Wool Captital of the World (Of course, now that has probably switched to somewhere in New Zealand or Australia).

gobblerfan02
11-23-2005, 01:09 PM
DeWitt County is also known as the Wildflower Capitol of Texas!!!

injuredinmelee
11-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Abilene is known as...

The place that everyone moives away from when they graduate. I have no idea what our city is famous for? Maybe The most BBQ, Chinese Food restaurants, and churches.

cdlvj
11-23-2005, 02:21 PM
La Grange - The Chicken Ranch

Bullaholic
11-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by cdlvj
La Grange - The Chicken Ranch

Is that like the "Dixie Chicken"--do they have good food there? :D

GreenMonster
11-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Is that like the "Dixie Chicken"--do they have good food there? :D

I heard it was dine in only, no take outs available.

Keith7
11-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Gainesville is home to an impressive courthouse with an octagonal rotunda topped by stained glass, erected in 1910. The courthouse grounds feature one of the most impressive Confederate soldier memorials in Texas, erected in the early 20th century by the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC), topped by a Confederate soldier facing northward, and bearing a poetic inscription honoring the Southland's fallen heroes. Other memorials on the courthouse grounds honor veterans of other U.S. wars.

The presence of these monuments praising the Confederacy is ironic given that Gainesville was the site of a notorious massacre of Texans by Confederate forces. The Confederacy had promised that Texans would not be drafted to fight the United States outside Texas. When it broke this promise Confederate officials feared that Cooke county, known to be loyal to the United States, would be the site of protests and would possibly secede back to America as several counties in Tennessee already had.

Confederate soldiers rounded up over 200 Texans, and on October 1, 1862 hanged 42 after a mock trial. This event sparked a reign of terror in which dozens of Texans suspected of being loyal to America were lynched by Confederate soldiers.

Gainesville is also home to a large outlet mall attracting visitors from north Texas as well as southern Oklahoma.

Keith7
11-23-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Abilene is known as...

The place that everyone moives away from when they graduate. I have no idea what our city is famous for? Maybe The most BBQ, Chinese Food restaurants, and churches.

Famous People from Abilene

* Bob Estes, PGA golfer
* Carol Hall, composer/lyricist
* Cris Judd, married Jennifer Lopez
* John Lackey, MLB pitcher
* Caryl Mack Parker, country singer
* Gary Perkins, radio broadcaster
* Dominic Rhodes, running back for the Indianapolis Colts
* Jessica Simpson, pop singer
* Diane Stanley, children's book author
* Hollis Thomas, NFL defensive tackle
* Jamie Johnson, World renown ballerina
* Belinda Floyd, NHL Goalie

Rabbit'93
11-23-2005, 02:35 PM
Forney is the "Antique capital of Texas"

kepdawg
11-23-2005, 02:38 PM
The Colony: The town is worthless

Denison: Birthplace of Eisenhower

Jasper: See Astrosdawg07's post

maroogreen
11-23-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Unfortanuately we know what Jasper is famous for.:rolleyes: , if people could only see the real Jasper. But thanks to the national media, they have completely killed Jasper's rep.

You're right, it is what the town is now known for, and it is such a shame. I've known some really great people from there.

maroogreen
11-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Also, Mathis was once known as the Caliche Capitol of the World. (For those of you who don't know, caliche is a very soft limestone-like rock used instead of gravel in south Texas).

CHS_CG
11-23-2005, 03:08 PM
Caldwell is the Kolache Captial, Famous for our annual Kolache Festival the 2nd Saturday of Sept. rain or shine we have people from all over the world come.

underware
11-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Yoakum is the "Land of Leather" There are over 12 Leather factories here. Making from Saddles, belts, purse, Tack, the list could go on an on.

44INAROW
11-23-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
Caldwell is the Kolache Captial, Famous for our annual Kolache Festival the 2nd Saturday of Sept. rain or shine we have people from all over the world come.

Originally posted by maroogreen
Also, Mathis was once known as the Caliche Capitol of the World. (For those of you who don't know, caliche is a very soft limestone-like rock used instead of gravel in south Texas).

and it is VERY important that you don't get KOLACHE and CALICHE confused - :D :D :D :D I dont' think a Caliche Kolache would taste very good :eek:

maroonpirate04
11-23-2005, 03:54 PM
Channelview is famous for " To Kill A Cheerleader Capital":D

maroogreen
11-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
and it is VERY important that you don't get KOLACHE and CALICHE confused - :D :D :D :D I dont' think a Caliche Kolache would taste very good :eek:

You are so SILLY!!!!! Although I thought the same thing when I saw the two posts next to each other....

Phantom Stang
11-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by maroogreen
Also, Mathis was once known as the Caliche Capitol of the World. (For those of you who don't know, caliche is a very soft limestone-like rock used instead of gravel in south Texas). You mean there's a competition for that!!:eek:

I've never been to Mathis but I think maybe Sweetwater could give em a run for their money. :thinking:

maroonpirate04
11-23-2005, 04:21 PM
Texas is Friday Night Lights Capital Of The World:D :D

Pmoney
11-23-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by maroonpirate04
Heck YA!

sww-bull52
11-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by maroonpirate04

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

garageoffice
11-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Collinsville - so named when two neighboring communities, Springville and Toadsuck (yes, you read it correctly), combined and incorporated after the arrival of the railroad, it is believed to be the site of the first free school in the North Texas area.

I Bleed Red08
11-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by sww-bull52
Worlds Largest Rattlesnake Roundup. heck yes anyone that hasnt been to it you need to come its awesome if u can make the drive

BHBrave08
11-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Mont Belvieu (Barbers Hill) - Most poisonous air in the world...(due to all the refineries):D :D :D

Old Green
11-23-2005, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
You mean there's a competition for that!!:eek:

I've never been to Mathis but I think maybe Sweetwater could give em a run for their money. :thinking: The two cities have to a competition to see who's the champ like we do with Worthington,Mn.

Don't know how you'd do it. Maybe see who could kick up the biggest dust cloud. Winner takes all.:D

West22
11-23-2005, 07:08 PM
West - Kolaches & Beer

...enough said.

FootballChik98
11-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Canton is pretty much known for being home to First Monday Trades Days.

j_dog
11-23-2005, 08:20 PM
You know what I tell people? Jasper is also known as the city that within 24 hours had those three perpertrators behind bars. And in barely over 12 months they were all three dispatched to the Texas state prisons to serve out their sentences. Even the Wall Street Journal once published a lengthy article detailing this. Numerous other publications have done the same. It is high time for Jasper to quit taking the fall for what three miscreants did, and time to take some credit for doing the right things AFTER the dirty deed was done by the miscreants. In some towns there could have been a bloodbath afterwards, but the people of Jasper pulled together as one. I, for one, am proud of how Jasper, Texas handled the aftermath of the dastardly deed.

j_dog
11-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by BHBrave08
Mont Belvieu (Barbers Hill) - Most poisonous air in the world...(due to all the refineries):D :D :D
Is that why I saw people glowing in the dark the last time I drove through Mont Belvieu? :D

Astrosdawg07
11-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
You know what I tell people? Jasper is also known as the city that within 24 hours had those three perpertrators behind bars. And in barely over 12 months they were all three dispatched to the Texas state prisons to serve out their sentences. Even the Wall Street Journal once published a lengthy article detailing this. Numerous other publications have done the same. It is high time for Jasper to quit taking the fall for what three miscreants did, and time to take some credit for doing the right things AFTER the dirty deed was done by the miscreants. In some towns there could have been a bloodbath afterwards, but the people of Jasper pulled together as one. I, for one, am proud of how Jasper, Texas handled the aftermath of the dastardly deed.

Well said!!!:)

j_dog
11-23-2005, 08:37 PM
Well said!!!:)
Thank you! I think you see what to do. Every time Jasper is mentioned derogatorily because of that incident, explain, defend. Be informed. The truth is in Jasper's favor. If everyone has the courage to speak the truth instead of hiding, Jasper's true nature will shine through in spite of any national media and anyone's misconception. When I am confronted by some rude comment about the incident, I challenge that person to go to Jasper with me to see for themselves. I tell them I will walk those very streets with them and show that their conception of Jasper does not reflect reality in Jasper, Texas. Just recently I took my son and his new girlfriend to Jasper, and to a Jasper football game. Afterwards, she admitted that Jasper, Texas and the people there were NOTHING like she had it pictured. Jasper has a very good story to tell. Jasper folks just need to be telling it. :)

sweetwater07
11-23-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
Snyder is kinda known for the last white buffalo was killed here...that would be the only thing that makes us famous

i always wondered if yall are so dang proud of that buffalo why yalls mascot is not the "white buffaloes"????...would make since wouldn't it??

sweetwater07
11-23-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by FootballChik98
Canton is pretty much known for being home to First Monday Trades Days.

thats the biggest by gosh flea market i have ever seen!!

GS#17
11-23-2005, 09:07 PM
Thank you! I think you see what to do. Every time Jasper is mentioned derogatorily because of that incident, explain, defend. Be informed. The truth is in Jasper's favor. If everyone has the courage to speak the truth instead of hiding, Jasper's true nature will shine through in spite of any national media and anyone's misconception. When I am confronted by some rude comment about the incident, I challenge that person to go to Jasper with me to see for themselves. I tell them I will walk those very streets with them and show that their conception of Jasper does not reflect reality in Jasper, Texas. Just recently I took my son and his new girlfriend to Jasper, and to a Jasper football game. Afterwards, she admitted that Jasper, Texas and the people there were NOTHING like she had it pictured. Jasper has a very good story to tell. Jasper folks just need to be telling it.

The truth always wins, and those who have nothing better to do than to spread misinformation and all-out lies soon find they're standing alone, defenseless against the tide of reality that overwhelms their fictitious world. Jasper found its way to the national spotlight due to a sensational news story, but those who are familiar with the city know the true nature of their citizens. Just like most places, you're going to find some very good, hard working people with warm hearts and a few nutcases. Luckily, Jasper has far more of the former than the latter. :) It's not Eden, but it is a beautiful part of the world with some really kind people.

j_dog
11-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by GS#17
The truth always wins, ......
Thank you 17 ! :)

setex
11-23-2005, 10:05 PM
SETEX ( Beaumont-Port Arthur-Orange)

The greatest athlete ever

BABE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babe_Didrikson_Zaharias)

SintonFan
11-23-2005, 10:05 PM
Well, Sinton is known as the "City of Parks". Lots of small parks. I read a couple of months ago that the city is gonna improve Old Welder Park.:clap:

sweetwater08
11-23-2005, 10:07 PM
WORLD'S LARGEST REDNECK (rattlesnake) ROUND-UP

sweetwater07
11-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater08
WORLD'S LARGEST REDNECK (rattlesnake) ROUND-UP

isn't that the truth

Chris Hart
11-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Burnet is known as the Bluebonnet capital of the world. Driving through Burnet County during early spring is a very beautiful sight...

RMAC
11-25-2005, 01:12 AM
Graham claims the largest downtown square in the U.S.