PDA

View Full Version : Here is an article for the out of town Bridge City about our littlest Linebacker

Old Cardinal
11-23-2005, 11:24 AM
LB finally suits BC's Faulk
By Tom Halliburton - The News Sports Writer Posted: 11/23/05 - 12:43:04 am CST

BRIDGE CITY - Taylor Faulk never applied for the position of linebacker at the start of the 2004 football season. Fact is, he was upset that the job got dumped onto him.

Two seasons later, the town of Jasper is probably upset that Faulk plays linebacker, too. Faulk had plenty to do with helping Bridge City author a 23-0 shutout of Jasper on Friday night in the 3A Division II area playoff round.

Faulk did not need to become a linebacker. He liked strong safety. He played well enough to start there in the pre-season as a junior. He had a job that seemed secure. He was becoming more proficient there.

Then the rug got pulled out from under him on a Saturday morning prior to BC's 2004 season opener against Liberty. Head coach Claude Tarver, defensive coordinator Sam Pratt and linebackers coach Sam Elmore huddled and decided they had to do something and do it fast.

Collin Briggs had moved to Hemphill and BC's defense had a serious void at its weakside linebacker job. Faulk was drafted for the duty, like it or not.

"On that Saturday morning, I was actually upset with it because I felt I was at a position that I understood," the 17-year-old son of Kent and Lisa Faulk recalled. "I remember showing up and the coaches sat me down. I was very shocked."

The adjustments have been many, both mentally and physically, but the 5-9, 180-pound Faulk has gone a long way toward accounting for Bridge City's great success as a defensive unit, especially this year.

If the Sam (Elmore) doesn't get you, then the Taylor will. Strongside linebacker Sam Elmore, a larger linebacker, is more able bust into an opposing offense and blow up plays. The mobile Faulk is proficient at stunting, blitzing and chasing folks. Together, the two complement each other quite effectively.

"It works out perfectly that way," Faulk explained. "He rushes too and I've been able to blow up plays but the way we work together just makes our whole defense to be better."

Yes, and Faulk has a way of making play after play while not shying away from contact in the slightest.

As Bridge City prepares for Saturday's 3A Division II regional round affair against Hutto (10-2), the coaching staff does not wish to receive the "genius" tag for making that position change with Faulk. The "Bird Brains" had their doubts about Taylor at linebacker, too, but they had to have someone to play there.

"We were a little concerned with his size but we didn't have anybody else," defensive coordinator Pratt said. "One of our real concerns, too, was that he had to learn the position."

Faulk can overcome many physical and mental issues with just one simple word -- hustle. That's what he did to wreck Jasper's first series and jar the ball loose from Bulldogs' ballcarrier Terrence Scott on the game's sixth snap. Hustle at the end of the play caused Faulk to find the ball and force the fumble. Seconds later, Bridge City leaped onto Tiger Stadium's scoreboard.

"Just when I broke through, he (Scott) was about 12 yards away but I didn't give up and I kept running after him," Faulk said.

That's the type of ingredient which has turned Taylor into a special player on this special Redbirds' senior class.

"Taylor just has a tremendous love to play," Tarver said. "He's not real big for a linebacker but he's quick and physical and he hustles every play."

Pratt echoed those sentiments.

"Taylor has a great desire to excel," Pratt said. "He finds a way to get to the ball. He's one of the best hustling kids we have, as far as going until the whistle blows."

Faulk also forced a loose ball and missed by inches of securing his first varsity touchdown when BC scored a safety late in the game. Oh well, he will try again this Saturday and BC's coaches will welcome any and all forced fumbles against Hutto's offense.

Now that his high school career is winding down, how does Taylor feel about playing linebacker now?

"I love that position," he said.

Faulk hopes to go to the University of Texas and get into petroleum engineering. Of course it's fine with him if thoughts of football stick around for a few more weeks.

REDBIRD PLAYOFF CHIRPS

Leading tacklers against Jasper were David Blackshear (13 solos and 2 assists), Taylor Faulk (7 and 3), Sam Elmore (6 and 6) and Jadon Ellender (5 and 8).... Offensive guard Brett Day has received his medical release (knee ligament strain) to rejoin practice. His status for Saturday's Hutto game will be reevaluated later in the week. Another lineman, junior Hoyt Ivey, is considered questionable for Hutto with a thigh bruise. Defensive back Taylor Degeyter missed the Jasper game due to swelling in his leg but he could able to answer the bell by Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m.... Ticket sales for the Hutto game will run this afternoon and Friday from noon to 2 p.m. The tickets will cost $6 for adults and $4 for students at the north ticket booth adjacent to Larry Ward Stadium. All seats on game day at Klein's Memorial Stadium will sell for $6.... BC will sit on the visitors side.

Hupernikomen
11-23-2005, 11:39 AM
I didn't really notice any stand out players on BC defense, expect maybe that 40 something or other guy. I thought they all did a fine job. The line put pressure on our QB the whole night and the defensive backs did a terrific job covering our receivers.

Astrosdawg07
11-23-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
I didn't really notice any stand out players on BC defense, expect maybe that 40 something or other guy. I thought they all did a fine job. The line put pressure on our QB the whole night and the defensive backs did a terrific job covering our receivers.

#21 was their best player on every unit.

Hupernikomen
11-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
#21 was their best player on every unit.

#21 was barely noticeable on defense from the stands because we never threw the ball toward him..in that sense he didn't stand out.