PDA

View Full Version : D1 and D2 State champs.....same district

Paratrooper
11-22-2005, 06:54 PM
The only districts left that could actually pull both D1 and the D2 state champion in the same district are:

District 4
Abilene Wylie D1
Sweetwater D2

District 10
Kennedale
Dallas Madison

District 19
Giddings
Hutto
Cameron Yoe

District 24
West Orange Stark
Bridge City

District 27
Wimberley
Liberty Hill

District 29
Hondo
Devine

Does anyone know if this has ever been done?

Paratrooper
11-22-2005, 07:11 PM
I think district 24 and 27 are the favorites to do so.

WOS87
11-22-2005, 07:20 PM
I know it's been done at least 3 times....

District 26-5A
Division I - Converse Judson
Division II - San Antonio Roosevelt

District 23-4A
Division I - Texas City
Division II - La Marque

District 23-2A
Division I - San Augustine
Division II - Garrison

hmmm... it'd be nice if another district in the 23-26 range could do it this year in 3A

Paratrooper
11-22-2005, 07:22 PM
Well, it looks like 3A it has never been done. Who would be your favorite?

Old Cardinal
11-22-2005, 07:27 PM
WO-S & BC

wos fan1
11-22-2005, 07:31 PM
Gosh i hope so!

Hupernikomen
11-22-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Paratrooper

I'd say any of those disctricts but 29 have a real chance. I would have to say District 4 has the best shot followed by 27 and then 24. IMO.

Hupernikomen
11-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Well, it looks like 3A it has never been done. Who would be your favorite?

The year Bonham won state in D-II (was 3rd place team from that district I believe) Burnet lost in the finals. Other than that I don't know if two have even played for state championships the same year in 3A.

Phantom Stang
11-22-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
WO-S & BC
HOMER!!!!

As for myself, I'm going to be totally unbiased and go with
Abilene Wylie & Sweetwater :D :p

X Man
11-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Here ! Here! Make note! Old Fart and X Man agree on something!!!!!

wos fan1
11-22-2005, 08:38 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: No way!! :D

lostaussie
11-22-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by WOS87

District 23-2A
Division II - Garrison
just because i am so full of data. the other representative from this district that year, timpson made it all the way to the regional final only to get beaten by district rival, and eventual state champ garrison.

Rabbit'93
11-22-2005, 09:31 PM
Are they the favorites because they're in your district?:D ;)

FormerBellvilleBrahma
11-22-2005, 09:52 PM
19AAA!!!!

FormerBellvilleBrahma
11-22-2005, 09:53 PM
19AAA!

Mustangpride09
11-22-2005, 10:58 PM
*silently laughs at the thought of bridge city winning state*

Paratrooper
11-22-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09
*silently laughs at the thought of bridge city winning state*

Do we need to remind everyone about Sweetwater

You play a 3-7 team and win by only 3 points (Levelland)
You beat pernial power CLYDE 20-13 (another 3-7 team)
The only decent team you really played all year you got blown out 3-26. You have had an easy run thus far in the playoffs because you have played 5-5 Midland Greenwood and 8-4 Littlefield and Littlefield had a weak schedule to get those 8 wins. The only thing people are laughing at is that Sweetwater will make it to the Regionals off playing weak competition. What are you guys playing this week a 6-5 team? If you were in Region 3 you would have already been eliminated.

mustang04
11-23-2005, 12:36 AM

The only decent team you really played all year you got blown out 3-26. You have had an easy run thus far in the playoffs because you have played 5-5 Midland Greenwood and 8-4 Littlefield and Littlefield had a weak schedule to get those 8 wins. The only thing people are laughing at is that Sweetwater will make it to the Regionals off playing weak competition. What are you guys playing this week a 6-5 team? If you were in Region 3 you would have already been eliminated.

did some girl from sweetwater break ur heart???? seriously, u have like this grudge against sweetwater or something. its kind of funny, i guess a good team can never have a bad night according to u huh? and plus, sweetwater has players back that were gone during those games....but say what u want

Whsdogs
11-23-2005, 01:14 AM

when u have ur starting qb and what should be you 2nd string qb and defensive back injured alone with some other starters then things will take a turn for the worst it happens...but now they are in full throttle and they didnt just beat those teams...the put up some major points and only reason they scored is cause 2nd and 3rd string was in the game...and what facts u have that "if" sweetwater was in region 3 they would get beat???? You cant have facts about that because you would never know unless they were in region 3 and you found out on some friday night so before you go speculating about things that havnt happen yet. It would be like me saying man if your team was d1 and in wylies region you would have lost along time ago...

Maroon87
11-23-2005, 01:20 AM
I know it's been done at least 3 times....

District 26-5A
Division I - Converse Judson
Division II - San Antonio Roosevelt

District 23-4A
Division I - Texas City
Division II - La Marque

District 23-2A
Division II - Garrison

hmmm... it'd be nice if another district in the 23-26 range could do it this year in 3A

I was living in San Antonio when Roosevelt and Judson turned the trick in 1995. Roosevelt was unbeaten and Judson's only loss was to Roosevelt. Judson beat Permian for the Div. I crown and Roosevelt beat Flower Mound Marcus. My CalCats (4A-DII) and Flour Bluff (4A-DI) are still alive this year from 31-4A...it's a long shot but who knows?:hairpunk:

Whsdogs
11-23-2005, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I was living in San Antonio when Roosevelt and Judson turned the trick in 1995. Roosevelt was unbeaten and Judson's only loss was to Roosevelt. Judson beat Permian for the Div. I crown and Roosevelt beat Flower Mound Marcus. My CalCats (4A-DII) and Flour Bluff (4A-DI) are still alive this year from 31-4A...it's a long shot but who knows?:hairpunk:

i might be at the Flour Bluff vs Pflugerville Connaly game saturday...im rootin for the Connaly cougars!!! :D

Maroon87
11-23-2005, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Whsdogs
i might be at the Flour Bluff vs Pflugerville Connaly game saturday...im rootin for the Connaly cougars!!! :D

Connally eliminated us last year, and since Bluff is our district's champion, I'm pulling for them. They've got some amazing talent, but it will be a hard earned win for whomever gets it.

WOS87
11-23-2005, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Connally eliminated us last year, and since Bluff is our district's champion, I'm pulling for them. They've got some amazing talent, but it will be a hard earned win for whomever gets it.

I would not be surprised to see a 6th Calallen-LaMarque Semis this year.... you guys are bound to break the Semifinal curse eventually and it would be very fitting to do it when least expected....

sweetwater07
11-23-2005, 09:03 AM

if you say so.........we are obviously good otherwise we wouldn't be here ..playing weak teams or not every region has weak teams but don't speculate and say that we would have already been beaten......better soften those words up in case you have to eat them....

Maroon87
11-23-2005, 11:03 AM
I would not be surprised to see a 6th Calallen-LaMarque Semis this year.... you guys are bound to break the Semifinal curse eventually and it would be very fitting to do it when least expected....

My thoughts exactly. We're flying under the radar a little this year, which is fine by me. As close as we've been, surely the worm will turn our way at some point.:cool:

Old Cardinal
11-23-2005, 11:14 AM
To the Sweetwater guy! Every Region does not have weak teams. If Sweetwater was in the District with WO-S & BC or the District with Silsbee, Jasper & Kirbyville they would not even make the playoffs!

3afan
11-23-2005, 11:29 AM
To the Sweetwater guy! Every Region does not have weak teams. If Sweetwater was in the District with WO-S & BC or the District with Silsbee, Jasper & Kirbyville they would not even make the playoffs!

OC .... yes, every region DOES have weak teams. every region of every class has weak teams. Is that what you really meant to say?

also there's really no way to know - obviously - how Sweetwater, or any other team, would do in another district. its all just a bunch of homer stuff ... :thumbsup:

Rabbit'93
11-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
OC .... yes, every region DOES have weak teams. every region of every class has weak teams. Is that what you really meant to say?

also there's really no way to know - obviously - how Sweetwater, or any other team, would do in another district. its all just a bunch of homer stuff ... :thumbsup:
I would go as far to say that every district has week teams.:eek:

3afan
11-23-2005, 11:40 AM
yeah, i almost said that!

mustang04
11-23-2005, 11:47 AM

actually....ive said before i wish the sweetwater team was in the same district w/ those kinda teams, so they rise to the occasion...u ever heard of playing on the same level of ur opponent, i think thats what sweetwater would do...hey....i am willing to bet that ALL the east texas or souther texas teams thought that cuero would beat wylie last year, just for the fact that wylie came from west texas and u appearantly think any team from west texas is automatically weak....

Old Cardinal
11-23-2005, 12:04 PM
Yes, every Region does have weak teams; however, some Regions have a whole lot more strong teams proportionally and the one with the most is Region III.
Example: Jasper comes in 3rd in their District last year and almost upsets the dream team from Gilmer. Kirbyville from that same District(this year) was a 3rd place finisher and yet I would venture they would fare quite well in Region I Div. II this year. Yes I am a homer about Region III in most all sports, a whole bunch of strong teams reside there; whereby, all too many times most of the other Regions just have one or two excellent teams that blow out their Regional competition and are the only ones that could represent the whole Region well.
In girls sports it is even more apparent; we will field almost one dozen softball teams that could be the representative that wins state(last year a District #2 finisher LaGrange got hot-bats at the end of the season and won state finals by a score of 7-1. Volleyball this year we had 4 teams that were top caliber and Bellville won out over Monahans which was the only viable team Region I had to offer. Sorry I am a Homer, but a realist first...LOL

LH Panther Mom
11-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Yes, every Region does have weak teams; however, some Regions have a whole lot more strong teams proportionally and the one with the most is Region III.
Example: Jasper comes in 3rd in their District last year and almost upsets the dream team from Gilmer. Kirbyville from that same District(this year) was a 3rd place finisher and yet I would venture they would fare quite well in Region I Div. II this year. Yes I am a homer about Region III in most all sports, a whole bunch of strong teams reside there; whereby, all too many times most of the other Regions just have one or two excellent teams that blow out their Regional competition and are the only ones that could represent the whole Region well.
In girls sports it is even more apparent; we will field almost one dozen softball teams that could be the representative that wins state(last year a District #2 finisher LaGrange got hot-bats at the end of the season and won state finals by a score of 7-1. Volleyball this year we had 4 teams that were top caliber and Bellville won out over Monahans which was the only viable team Region I had to offer. Sorry I am a Homer, but a realist first...LOL
Or maybe, just maybe, the teams in Region III are more equally matched to each other than in other regions and the strong teams in the other regions are just a cut above the other teams. (FYI - Bandera 2002 state champions were 3rd place in the district.)

3afan
11-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Or maybe its just Region III that you FOLLOW and know about. comparing teams in that way from region to region is really a futile exercise. just cause Region X champ beats the Region Y champ does not mean Region X is stronger than Region Y. or just cause Region X has more teams in someones top 20 does not mean its the strongest region.

dont get me wrong - nothing is wrong with being a homer ... everyone is in one way or another whether they want to admit it or not IMO. :p

stxboy05
11-23-2005, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
[B]Or maybe, just maybe, the teams in Region III are more equally matched to each other than in other regions and the strong teams in the other regions are just a cut above the other teams.

I agree

LH Panther Mom
11-23-2005, 01:37 PM
This "who's the strongest region" debate got me to thinking, so I decided to do a little research over the last 5 seasons prior to this. Of 10 state championship games, here's the breakdown of number of teams from each region playing in the championship game and the total titles won.

Region I: 3 teams in the final, 1 title
Region II: 7 teams in the final, 6 titles (Gainesville was region II when they won)
Region III: 5 teams in the final, 2 titles (both titles came in the 2000 season)
Region IV: 5 teams in the final, 1 title

I realize this has absolutely no bearing on this year, just thought it was interesting info. (Mainly, I just didn't feel like working. :p )

WOS87
11-24-2005, 10:30 AM
The disparity is much much larger in 4A where a Region IV team hasn't won a State Title in over 25 years and only 5 teams have even reached the Finals....

4A State Champions 1980-2005
Region I: 8 titles
Region II: 12 titles
Region III: 14 titles
Region IV: 0 titles

WOS1
11-24-2005, 10:54 AM
You can't judge the strength of a team by their schedule, only the strength of their schedule. All a team can do is play the teams they have on their schedule. If they beat those teams, you can't really ask for more. They may not be as well prepared as a team who has a tougher schedule, but that doesn't diminish the quality of that team, it just diminishes their preparation.