PDA

View Full Version : La Grange Basketball

cdlvj
11-22-2005, 08:12 AM
What is going on? 2-1 so far this year. After last year's 0-16. Could it be the coaching?

Johnny Utah
11-22-2005, 10:10 AM
You seriously need to get off this board!!! Or go get a degree and coach up the leopards!!! You are killing me with your sarcastic, coach bashing, posts!!! To me, you are the worst type of fan. You probably wanted to coach, but no one would hire you!!!

lepfan
11-22-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
You seriously need to get off this board!!! Or go get a degree and coach up the leopards!!! You are killing me with your sarcastic, coach bashing, posts!!! To me, you are the worst type of fan. You probably wanted to coach, but no one would hire you!!!

I have to come to his defense in this particular case......it needed to happen.

La Grange
11-22-2005, 12:36 PM
The year before last the team won 8 games. I know it doesn't seem like a lot but that was the most a LG team has won in awhile. I even think they started out the season like 6-0. Coach bashing is really easy when teams aren't doing well, but sometimes teams just do not have the atheletes. Do you think having Bennet back on the team has something to do with it? I certainly do. Basketball is far from LG's forte and I congradulate the boys for starting things off 2-1.

I seems to me if LG doesn't win district or state in a event you immediatly blame the coaching. LG has always had good coaches and atheletes that is why they have had so much success in so many different sports. Cities and schools go through spells were particular atheletes are in scarce supply, that is why LG has only won 6 games in the last two years in football.

That is how I certainly see it.

lepfan
11-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Maybe it is just time for LGs run for basketball...who knows. Football is down..... I have never personally experienced the LG b-ball program, but I do know they have had some talent in the program...as it is in all of LG athletics....but nothing ever developed. I do hope they have a successful season

cdlvj
11-22-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by La Grange
The year before last the team won 8 games. I know it doesn't seem like a lot but that was the most a LG team has won in awhile. I even think they started out the season like 6-0. Coach bashing is really easy when teams aren't doing well, but sometimes teams just do not have the atheletes. Do you think having Bennet back on the team has something to do with it? I certainly do. Basketball is far from LG's forte and I congradulate the boys for starting things off 2-1.

I seems to me if LG doesn't win district or state in a event you immediatly blame the coaching. LG has always had good coaches and atheletes that is why they have had so much success in so many different sports. Cities and schools go through spells were particular atheletes are in scarce supply, that is why LG has only won 6 games in the last two years in football.

That is how I certainly see it.

Bennet and others did not play last year because of the coach. The new coach has essentially the same team back this year pretty much. I do believe that LG does have the athletes to be competitive. Good coaches adjust to what they have, and keep rebuilding each year. Many of the same coaches bring their teams to the playoffs year after year.

What a great plot for a TV reality show. La Grange and Schulenburg or Shiner or Marlin or Liberty Hill swap coaches for a year.

Johnny Utah
11-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Are you talking swapping coaches in Basketball??? I could go into Liberty Hill and WIN in hoops!!! They love it. They are still playing FOOTBALL and beating people in basketball because they have a large offseason program. If the coach from LH went to La Grange his record would not be as good, still the same good coach, just less talent. When I was living in that area many years ago, La Grange had some success in roundball, maybe the post earlier is true, just down in athletes, not coaching. It is easy to dismiss losing as the coaches fault. Take Rusty Seigler for example, he went to state in hoops at Liberty Hill, has a decent program at A&M Consolidated, but they have not won in a couple of years. Is he a bad coach??? I think not!!! They are down in basketball. It happens in high schools!!!! Support!!! I feel for that new softball coach in LG, especially if they do not win a state title!!!!

cdlvj
11-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Are you talking swapping coaches in Basketball??? I could go into Liberty Hill and WIN in hoops!!! They love it. They are still playing FOOTBALL and beating people in basketball because they have a large offseason program. If the coach from LH went to La Grange his record would not be as good, still the same good coach, just less talent. When I was living in that area many years ago, La Grange had some success in roundball, maybe the post earlier is true, just down in athletes, not coaching. It is easy to dismiss losing as the coaches fault. Take Rusty Seigler for example, he went to state in hoops at Liberty Hill, has a decent program at A&M Consolidated, but they have not won in a couple of years. Is he a bad coach??? I think not!!! They are down in basketball. It happens in high schools!!!! Support!!! I feel for that new softball coach in LG, especially if they do not win a state title!!!!

I don't think that the LH coach with the LG personnel would lose each and every game. I am not saying that one has to win district or go to state, just at least be competitive and win some. The team to watch is Marble Falls. Last year they were very good, and this year are to a rough start. Speaking to my relatives this past weekend, they indicated that adjustments will be made, and that toward the end of the season, they will be very competitive.

Johnny Utah
11-22-2005, 03:49 PM
I agree he would not lose every game, but would not win as much. Tougher district for one. Strength of schedule might have something to do with wins and losses as well. Who has LG beaten??? Who did they lose to??? I do know that Rockdale was a POWER in 3a basketball in the 90's!!! They have fallen off since about 98, but it is not always coaching. They are getting better and better each year due to coaching. Have good young ones coming. Where did the LG coach come from??? Does he have a basketball pedigree??? Meaning has he rebuilt programs or is very young and energetic, willing to sacrifice to build??? Marble Falls is one of those places that is good at times, not so good at times. Tough district there as well. The coach that used to be at Taylor built that program up, would make the playoffs and lose in the first or second round. Average to above average seasons. Taylor is not a basketball hotbed, but could be with the right coach!!! That coach left Taylor and has won 2 basketball State Championships since leaving. He was the same type of coach at Taylor as he is now, GOOD. Better basketball players where he is now.!!!