PDA

View Full Version : DIV1 vs DIV2

zooleander
11-21-2005, 04:01 PM
ok...this year, cuero is creating noise in the D2 bracket (which is NO surprise) which leads me to the question, are the D1 state Champs always better than the D2??? the past few years, ive seen the playoff route for some of the teams in D1 and D2, and it varies, some teams in D2 have a WAY harder matchup than the other rep from their district in D1

say both divisions combined when there were 4 left in D1 and 8 in D2 and they mixed matched the games, some D2 teams playing a D1 and some playing another D2 who do yall think would be the top 2 teams???

raider red 2000
11-21-2005, 04:07 PM
that would be fun....would it be possible for 1 region to have 4 team in the semis?????

i think that region 4 will win both div 1 and 2 this year.

i think that reg 3 has the most "good" teams, but i think that reg 4 wins it all.

HighSchool Fan
11-21-2005, 04:12 PM
i think this year there's not much difference between the top teams in each division. i still say the D1 champ comes from Region 1.

RMAC
11-21-2005, 04:19 PM
I don't think the DI team is ALWAYS better than the DII team. It just depends on the team. If the DII team can win district, or state for that matter w/ fewer kids to pick from, then good for them.

big daddy russ
11-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by zooleander
ok...this year, cuero is creating noise in the D2 bracket (which is NO surprise) which leads me to the question, are the D1 state Champs always better than the D2???
It's not always like that. The year Gatesville won the D1 title I thought D2 was loaded. In D1 Gatesville, Ab. Wylie, and Everman were awesome, but D2 had minefields all over the place. Commerce, Cameron Yoe, Forney, La Grange, Marlin, Newton, and Wills Point (who lost in the first round) were all elite teams.

HighSchool Fan
11-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
It's not always like that. The year Gatesville won the D1 title I thought D2 was loaded. In D1 Gatesville, Ab. Wylie, and Everman were awesome, but D2 had minefields all over the place. Commerce, Cameron Yoe, Forney, La Grange, Marlin, Newton, and Wills Point (who lost in the first round) were all elite teams.

forney was d1 that year, they were also the 2nd best team in d1 that year.

garciap77
11-21-2005, 04:27 PM
I say have a D1 Champs VS D2 Champ play in Jan for the state title.

zooleander
11-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by garciap77

i always liked that idea...ever since i was in highschool, i wondered why they didnt do that

big daddy russ
11-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
forney was d1 that year, they were also the 2nd best team in d1 that year.
Forney was D1 the following year, but they were in the D2 title game that year against LaGrange. Hell of a game, too.

The next year was the D1 round 2 Everman classic at Pennington Field.

HighSchool Fan
11-21-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Forney was D1 the following year, but they were in the D2 title game that year against LaGrange. Hell of a game, too.

The next year was the D1 round 2 Everman classic at Pennington Field.

yeah, my bad, i wasn't reading what i thought i was

RiverRat19
11-21-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Well that would end speculation regarding who was the best team in each classification, wouldn't it?

The problem would be that with the present format, the DI champ would get to wait 1 week before the DII champ was decided and then the DII champ would end up playing 17 GAMES between regular season and the playoffs. UIL (if they were to decide to do this) could have DI play their first round when DII plays their 2nd round games in order to keep the same schedule for the interdivisional final game but.... it may be too much trouble than what its worth. I'm more inclined to go the other way and have only 1 or 2 playoff teams per classification and get rid of DI and DII....

sWaterislife
11-21-2005, 04:42 PM
Yeah im not much for 2 titles.. i figure if your going to go to the trouble of making a bracket like that why not make a Super 5A or Even 6A and spread the classifications out..

Wylie won the state championship very deservingly over a real good Cuero team .. But what fate would they have if they played Gilmer.. The D2 winner... You got to feel for a team like snyder last year** who beats Wylie in the district game.. And gets beat by Gilmer in the semi's.. What if snyder had the same road that Wylie had and what if wylie would have been in their shoes... Again its a big what if.. All those "What ifs" can be settled by playing the two state champs against each other.. Im not a big fan of having two divisions.. And really the last two years have made me to believe that there does need to be 3 teams in the playoffs from each district .... <hope this made sense..lol..

I dont believe that D1 automatically is the better team in 3a or which ever classification from 5A down..

(**Please delete this thread after it dies, thanks you, so i will not be on record of having said this..)

HighSchool Fan
11-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by RiverRat19
Well that would end speculation regarding who was the best team in each classification, wouldn't it?

The problem would be that with the present format, the DI champ would get to wait 1 week before the DII champ was decided and then the DII champ would end up playing 17 GAMES between regular season and the playoffs. UIL (if they were to decide to do this) could have DI play their first round when DII plays their 2nd round games in order to keep the same schedule for the interdivisional final game but.... it may be too much trouble than what its worth. I'm more inclined to go the other way and have only 1 or 2 playoff teams per classification and get rid of DI and DII....

you could add 1 more team per district to the playoffs, which would be overkill, then you could put 2 teams from each district in D1 and D2, they would play the D1 and D2 championship game on the same day and hopefully the same place.

big daddy russ
11-21-2005, 04:47 PM
yeah, my bad, i wasn't reading what i thought i was
It's cool. I had to go back and check. Heck, I don't remember half the games I've watched anymore. When you watch an average of two to three HS games a week for several years everything kind of blurs together. I need my memory jogged quite a bit.

garageoffice
11-21-2005, 04:50 PM
As I pointed out in another thread, it's really difficult to even compare DI and DII in any meaningful way. There is just too much disparity between what DI and DII means from district to district.

Take Cuero, for example, since they've already been mentioned in this thread. Sure, they are making noise in DII, but they are larger than the DI reps from some of the other districts. Every year there will be DII teams that are better than some of the DI teams and vice-versa, but it's actually impossible to predict which will be the best over any period of time.

The DI/DII approach is nothing more than a way to get more teams into the playoffs, artificially. It's a half-hearted attempt to separate the larger schools from the smaller, but it's flawed because it does so at the district level.

District 3-3A has 5 out of 6 schools with an enrollment of 620+, while the largest school in district 8-3A has only 555. Then there's district 22-3A where Jasper, with 850, is DII because Silsbee has 876. District 23-3A has all three playoff teams with an enrollment over 800.

Obviously, I don't care for the DI/DII playoff plan...maybe it's because I remember the days when only one team from each district made the playoffs, maybe it's because I have a difficult time seeing teams with overall losing records making the playoffs. I must admit I don't see a need for it and don't understand the original motivation behind it. It seems to me it would have made more sense to simply create an extra class or two.

Goldenstick
11-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Still a ways to go, but I'd like to see WO-S vs. Gainsville in the championship game. It's good to see Gainsville back this year after last year's disappointment

garciap77
11-21-2005, 04:58 PM
I agree. Only top two in dist. go into the play-offs. No DIV I/II. Just 3A State Champ.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-21-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
I don't think the DI team is ALWAYS better than the DII team. It just depends on the team. If the DII team can win district, or state for that matter w/ fewer kids to pick from, then good for them.

There is not an official number that a team must have to go DI. Some years depending on the teams that make the playoffs a team could go big school then the next year go small school. Take Vernon for example. They go DI this year however, two years ago they go DII, three years ago they go DII and four years ago they go DI.

No difference in telent level between DI and DII.

HighSchool Fan
11-21-2005, 05:05 PM
in 2a celina is in D2. if they win state, they will be bigger than the D1 winner.

lostaussie
11-21-2005, 05:22 PM
there is no right answer. sometimes the d1 team would win, sometimes the d2 team would win. it's all about the greenbacks. in my opinion 2 teams from each district should advance, and there should be one champion.

Leopards,class of 75
11-21-2005, 06:46 PM
in 2a celina is in D2. if they win state, they will be bigger than the D1 winner. Just think if Celina moves back into Gainesville's district next year, and both Gainesville and Celina win state this year.

Leopards,class of 75
11-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Goldenstick
Still a ways to go, but I'd like to see WO-S vs. Gainsville in the championship game. It's good to see Gainsville back this year after last year's disappointment This would really be a great matchup for the championship game.

BrahmaDAD70
11-21-2005, 08:31 PM
All I know that is without the current playoff system
Cameron, Hutto and or Giddings might not have made the playoffs
Only one of them would have.
Right now they are still in and are making plenty of noise
that cant be bad for HS football.

jmcgee
11-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Hers what they should do do away with the D1 and D2 thing and just make one playoff brackett top 4 teams advance to playoffs . then at the end of the bracket you have your 3a class state champ with no questions asked.

jmcgee
11-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by jmcgee
Hers what they should do do away with the D1 and D2 thing and just make one playoff brackett top 4 teams from each District advance to playoffs . then at the end of the bracket you have your 3a class state champ with no questions asked.

jmcgee
11-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Oops i thought i clicked on the edit not quote. lol

cdlvj
11-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by sWaterislife
Yeah im not much for 2 titles.. i figure if your going to go to the trouble of making a bracket like that why not make a Super 5A or Even 6A and spread the classifications out..

agree with you on that one!