PDA

View Full Version : Baylor once competed for the NCAA College football National Championship!

Phil C
11-21-2005, 09:44 AM
A little southwest conference history and it may sound incredible but it is true. In 1953 Baylor had defeated such teams as California, Arkansas and Miami. They came into the UT game ranked #3 in the country and was competing for the national championship. By a blocked extra point UT won 21 to 20. After that the Baylor season fell apart as they then lost two of their remaining games to Houston 7 -37 and Rice 19 - 41. Rice won the conference championship and defeated Alabama in the Cotton Bowl.

sahen
11-21-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
A little southwest conference history and it may sound incredible but it is true. In 1953 Baylor had defeated such teams as California, Arkansas and Miami. They came into the UT game ranked #3 in the country and was competing for the national championship. By a blocked extra point UT won 21 to 20. After that the Baylor season fell apart as they then lost two of their remaining games to Houston 7 -37 and Rice 19 - 41. Rice won the conference championship and defeated Alabama in the Cotton Bowl.

Phil, i'd figure you would be old enough to know that it really isnt that incredible....Baylor has had some great teams, they just have sucked the past 10 years....Teaff never had a national championship team but he had some teams finish top 10 and many top 25 teams, esp. in the 80s....The past 10 years of Baylor footbal has pretty much been the worst decade in the Baylor Football history...this year was better so hopefully we r coming outa it....

texasjeremy
11-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Phil, whats your take on the Lady Bears repeating as national champs? Will they see any competition in the Big 12? The win streak is now at 23 games.

sahen
11-21-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
Phil, whats your take on the Lady Bears repeating as national champs? Will they see any competition in the Big 12? The win streak is now at 23 games.
i know i aint Phil, but OU and Tech r gonna be tough....Texas will be good if they can get their players back from injury...
repeating as national champs would be hard but it is not impossible...gotta get our freshman experienced

3afan
11-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Baylor has won 2 NCAA championships in their history - none in a major sport:

women's basketball: 1
men's tennis: 1

SOURCE (http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/champs_listing1.html)

Phil C
11-21-2005, 04:03 PM
I think Baylor will have a good chance to win the NC again. It will be tough though. Texas will be good if they recover from injuries and I think have a good chance to win a few of the playoff games but we have to remember Texas is a young team with a great future. I think they will be great next year but as far as challenger for the NC seriously I think UT is one year away. If Baylor can get good calls they have a chance but it will be tough. Teams will be playing extra hard against you when you are the defending NCs.

Phil C
11-21-2005, 04:05 PM
I know Baylor has had great teams in the past i.e. in 1963 when they competed well against the NC Texas Longhorns but I was concentrating on the one year when they had a great team even though it didn't end right for them in 1953.

AggieJohn
11-21-2005, 04:07 PM
phil why haven't you been posting on my friends website, he enjoyed your insight

Phil C
11-21-2005, 04:26 PM
I know Baylor has had great teams in the past i.e. in 1963 when they competed well against the NC Texas Longhorns but I was concentrating on the one year when they had a great team even though it didn't end right for them in 1953.

Phil C
11-21-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
phil why haven't you been posting on my friends website, he enjoyed your insight

I'll try to get there AggieJohn.

Astrosdawg07
11-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

Didn't Lamar beat Baylor one time or something?

Astrosdawg07
11-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07

I know that at least played in Beaumont.:confused:

Phil C
11-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07

The only game I found was that in 1981 they played in Waco and Lamar beat Baylor 18 to 17.

texasjeremy
11-23-2005, 10:26 AM
1979 in Waco: Baylor 20 Lamar 7
1980 in Beaumont: Baylor 42 Lamar 7
1981 in Waco: Lamar 18 Baylor 17