PDA

View Full Version : Questionable TD for Tech.....

lepfan
11-20-2005, 10:01 PM
...it seems the line judge (who did not have the best view) that called the questionable TD for Tech in Saturday's game just so happens to be from Lubbock.:thinking: His name is Kelly Deterding and is a crop insurance agent. You would think if you were a ref you would not want to call games that involve your home school. ......just a bit of trivia I felt like sharing.....:nerd:

maroogreen
11-20-2005, 10:03 PM
Wasn't that play reviewed before it was finalized?

Pmoney
11-20-2005, 10:06 PM
USC's td is more questionable than the one for tech

LH Panther Mom
11-20-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by maroogreen
That is my understanding. I wasn't able to watch, but was on the phone when it was being reviewed in the booth. We stayed on the phone until the official ruling.

lepfan
11-20-2005, 10:16 PM
Wasn't that play reviewed before it was finalized? Yes, I think they came back with 'inconclusive' on the review.

The way I see it is if OU had it together earlier then it would not have come down to that one play....life goes on :)

I just thought that was an interesting bit of info...:rolleyes:

Astrosdawg07
11-20-2005, 10:54 PM
Oh man, now the guys name is out. Poor guy.

RMAC
11-20-2005, 11:04 PM
It's one of those things where the review could not change it. Had the ref ruled no TD, and you could not tell from the replay, by the way, then OU holds and the game is over. It's a shame that it had to happen that way, but as was said earlier, if OU would have had it together, then that last questionable TD would not have mattered.

swaterfan
11-20-2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
...it seems the line judge (who did not have the best view) that called the questionable TD for Tech in Saturday's game just so happens to be from Lubbock.:thinking: His name is Kelly Deterding and is a crop insurance agent. You would think if you were a ref you would not want to call games that involve your home school. ......just a bit of trivia I felt like sharing.....:nerd:

i was THERE in the ENDZONE and it looked pretty good to me

GWOOD
11-20-2005, 11:10 PM
From the replay it was obvious that the ball crossed the plane. However, the replay could not show if his knee was down before he did that. That's why it was inconclusive.

Henderson claims that he never touched the ground--that he was on top of OU guys when he stretched the ball over the goal line. Of course, what else would he have said.

Anyway, glad they won. Sure would like to see tech play in the Cotton Bowl on Jan 2.

sahen
11-20-2005, 11:14 PM
The Big 12 Official's office doesn't care where you are from or apparantly where you went to school or played your football....The head official for the Baylor/Nebraska game was a former starting quarterback for the University of Nebraska....now if that isnt conflict of interest then i dont know what is....

3afan
11-21-2005, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by GWOOD
From the replay it was obvious that the ball crossed the plane. However, the replay could not show if his knee was down before he did that. That's why it was inconclusive.

agree with that ....

VAMike
11-21-2005, 05:40 AM
A couple of points..
1 - The official who had the best view and who actually signalled TD was not Deterding. It was the Head Linesman. Deterding was the line judge and never signalled as he could not see player and ball. The best camera view would have been from behind the Head Linesman but that is the visitor sideline and in "normal" games there is no camera looking from that side.

2 - Where is this "inconclusive" coming from? All the Referee announced after the review was "After review, Touchdown" (And it was a pretty quick review so did not take much time for them to see whatever they needed to see)

3 - Maybe you don't feel you could be neutral in a game involving your hometown school but you are fans. We are not fans. If an official's credibility and honesty are in question then he should not be on ANY field, his "home" field or elsehwere. And the same head referee , Steve Usechek, was the referee in Nebraska's game when the head coach gave the throat slash gesture at him. Usechek was never a QB at Nebraska. The linesman in the Baylor game was Clete Blakeman and he WAS a former Nebraska QB.

3afan
11-21-2005, 05:57 AM
as always, great assessment & explanation Mike ....

spiveyrat
11-21-2005, 08:32 AM

The last series was the only series I saw of that ballgame and they reviewed three different plays on that drive. Crazy! :crazy: Never seen anything like it. I can't believe the official called that touchdown in the back of the endzone. The guy didn't even catch the ball, it just hit his hands.

eagles_victory
11-21-2005, 08:37 AM
How many calls did the refs try to give Tech on the last drive of the game. The tipped pass on 4th and 3 where they were way short and got an excelent spot. They even tried to give them that Filani catch that was so obvious. Then the questionable touchdown. If I am Oklahoma I am pretty upset.

VAMike
11-21-2005, 08:51 AM
On the spot of tipped pass...every camera angle I saw on TV left a lot to the imagination. Remember, when they both came down with ball, THAT is the spot, the receiver subsequently fell back towards the line of scrimmage but the forward progress is not where he ends up.

On the pass into end zone, only 1 official saw it as a TD. Several others went running to the R which for me as an official signals they were going to tell him there was a problem. I can explain why I think that 1 official ruled TD but it is immaterial as the call was correctly reversed. I have no doubt it would have been reversed even without the replay based on what I saw the other officials doing.

On the TD..we have beat that one up already. Unless OU has a view down that goal line from their side of the field, it is going to be hard to say it was NOT a TD. Rumor has it that a Lubbock TV station was filming from there so maybe their tape will get out. We are told that unless we see the runner down and the ball, we are not to rule ball dead. If the official was screened so that he could not see the runner's whole body, then he could NOT rule him down prior to ball going over.

punt
11-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Had it been in Norman it would not have been a TD, no doubt, in Lubbock its a TD. I was just glad to see ou get beat but disappointed that Stoops didn't throw his headset.

Maybe OSU will have another upset and beat ou Saturday. Now that would make for a good season!!

lebron_fan
11-21-2005, 01:48 PM
i think the refs were wrong on both reviews...in that tipped first down catch he was atleast a yard short and on that one angle on the touchdown u could tell he was down....oh well tech is still over rated and oklahoma isnt good either...so who cares it just sucks oklahoma got screwed

VAMike
11-21-2005, 01:52 PM
If you could tell anything from the camera views shown on both plays then you have an incredible mind that is capable of adding detail to images that are not there, sort of like the NASA guys can do with those grainy photos that they then turn into viewable images.

3afan
11-21-2005, 01:53 PM
*sigh* ....

daddy02
11-21-2005, 02:01 PM
All I can say is that I was at the game and it was a classic....and OU sucks...........some of the hardest hitting football I have ever seen from both teams......it seems OU is losing it's swagger.....
Wreck 'em Tech

lebron_fan
11-21-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by VAMike
If you could tell anything from the camera views shown on both plays then you have an incredible mind that is capable of adding detail to images that are not there, sort of like the NASA guys can do with those grainy photos that they then turn into viewable images.

if u seriously thought he got that first down i think someone should take u to eyemart and u can pick u up some glasses for the games this weekend..i wouldnt want u to miss anything else...lol...and at the end from that one angle u could tell he was laying in the ground and he didnt stretch his arm over the goal line until 2 seconds after being down...like i said just go to eyemart and u will be alright for this weekend:D

VAMike
11-21-2005, 02:10 PM
If he were laying on his own player would you classify that as laying on the ground? And on the pass, ball is spotted where it was at the moment the receiver's foot touched ground, not where he eventually fell.

GreenGobbla
11-21-2005, 02:33 PM
those last three calls might have been the worst three calls i've seen in a football game....that was not a first down first of all....the next pass, they were right that he had posession...if your talking about the security guard right next to the stands, and the touchdown wasnt even close.....must have paid the refs....

3afan
11-21-2005, 02:35 PM
give it up, Mike ...

lepfan
11-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by daddy02
it seems OU is losing it's swagger.....
You wish! :rolleyes:

HighSchool Fan
11-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by daddy02
......it seems OU is losing it's swagger.....

not losing it, they've lost it. this is stoops first year with his players and look how he did. the brains that were in oklahoma are now in arizona.