PDA

View Full Version : Dog question.....

lepfan
11-20-2005, 01:48 PM
I have always wondered this.....Why does a house dog feel the need to roll in dead animals and cat/dog poop outside? Lexi came into the house feeling very proud of herself a bit ago....she was an interesting color of yellow/green with a nasty stinch...her perfume of the day was eau de cat$***.:( :mad: :mad: She has since been bathed -- she was not a happy camper when I pitched her in the tub.

3afan
11-20-2005, 01:50 PM
sounds like Lexi needs counseling ....

injuredinmelee
11-20-2005, 01:51 PM
I would def take her to a doggie psycholgist. There is a unhealthy fecal addiction there that must be addressed.

lepfan
11-20-2005, 01:55 PM
She does need counseling after I pulled her out the door by her little tail...that is about the only part that did not have poop on it. She got to stay out in the cold a bit longer while I got her bath stuff ready. This is not the first time she has done this...I think this is the second time with cat poop...usually it is dead animals she wallows in.

Astrosdawg07
11-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Maybee she's just a little different.

HillBoy
11-20-2005, 02:42 PM
Maybe it smells good to her.

Bullaholic
11-20-2005, 02:54 PM
I hope Vet93 will confirm this, lepfan, but I have heard that dogs have an "instinctive" urge to wallow in dead animal carcasses or fecal matter to "conceal" their scent when upwind while hunting game.

lepfan
11-20-2005, 03:35 PM
LOL --- not sure what 'wild game' she was hunting in the back yard. Now that you say that I do remember being told that. :)

pirate4state
11-20-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
I have always wondered this.....Why does a house dog feel the need to roll in dead animals and cat/dog poop outside? Lexi came into the house feeling very proud of herself a bit ago....she was an interesting color of yellow/green with a nasty stinch...her perfume of the day was eau de cat$hit.:( :mad: :mad: She has since been bathed -- she was not a happy camper when I pitched her in the tub. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I have 3 house dogs and thank heavens only one really likes to do this!! He always finds yucky stuff to roll around in :mad: and then is "shocked" to be thrown into the tub!! :rolleyes: I've learned my lesson and haven't let him loose since his 4th or 5th roll in the crap!! :D

Old Green
11-20-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
sounds like Lexi needs counseling .... She needs a shock collar. It works great on my wife's ugly little Poodle.:devil: :D That'll stop her:devil: :thumbsup:

gobbler grad
11-20-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
She needs a shock collar. It works great on my wife's ugly little Poodle.:devil: :D That'll stop her:devil: :thumbsup:

you'll be in the poodle's dog house, Green...:D :D

lepfan
11-20-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
She needs a shock collar. It works great on my wife's ugly little Poodle.:devil: :D That'll stop her:devil: :thumbsup:
:tongue: My husband did buy a shock collar...he said he was going to potty train her with that...I took it back and got the $$ back (and kept the $$ of course) He was suprised that I got her trained without that nasty thing. As long as she gets treats she performs her duties outside :)

vet93
11-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Bullaholic...I will confirm that dogs like to roll in dead or stinky things....as to their motivation....I have no idea....maybe they really like the smell of rotten flesh...kind of like "chanelle #5"!!!

Originally posted by Bullaholic
I hope Vet93 will confirm this, lepfan, but I have heard that dogs have an "instinctive" urge to wallow in dead animal carcasses or fecal matter to "conceal" their scent when upwind while hunting game.

handNthedirt
11-22-2005, 10:21 AM
I suggest putting Lexi down....and picking up her excrament from your yard so this doesn't repeat itself when you get a new pup.

handNthedirt
11-22-2005, 10:34 AM
I was just kidding about putting Lexi down, that would be cruel and inhumane.

lepfan
11-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
I was just kidding about putting Lexi down, that would be cruel and inhumane.

Not an option...Lexi is a tool to irritate my husband some days. ;)
Besides, she and the cat are too entertaining!!!