PDA

View Full Version : I am more than impressed with the people and the Hutto Hippo football team!

Old Cardinal
11-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Among the urban sprawl growth out around Austin is a upwardly mobile affluent boomtown called Hutto(Pronounced HUD-O).
We enjoyed a tailgate party early on, with what turns out to be BCs worthy opponent this week.
Hutto's football team is huge and look like a big 5A roster. They play "in your face" power-plunge football in a premium way.
Hutto is around 290# across the OL and they block very well. Ball control is the name of the game!
Speedwise they have only a couple of the very best--Jeremy Kerley QB a Junior is a football smart good commander; while Tailback Jerrick Gauthier a Senior can break one from anywhere on the field.
They are one-dimensional and will not pass even against a frantic 9 or 10 man line that is trying to stop the power- thrust.
Their idea of variety is different types of power offense formations and their defense is smart and well trained. They seem to be a little vunerable to the spread-set passing but Marlin had butterfingers to some extend last night.
They are in their last year of 3A and projecting(what folks there were saying); I would guess will be 5A or multi-schooled in just a few years.

I really like the people there and was amazed at their lack of playoff knowledge. When is was 22-22 toward the last they were asking us from all directions if penetrations would decide the game?
If you give them the ball they will play the clock and get their TDs the old fashion way--blasting you out with giant quality ballplayers.
My projections of the game? Hutto will score on anybody including BCs good defense but the closest BC has been to being shutdown on offense was last week by Jasper when they only scored 23 points against the Bulldogs.
Hutto will beat anyone in 3A if they are given the ball enough times on offense.

To the older folks in SE TXs, they remind me somewhat of the 1957 Nederland State Champions with Larry Musclewhite, Jim Keeland, Tommy Holland, James Street and all the rest.
They have perfected the "three yard and a cloud of dust" into "six yards and a cloud of dust".

:D

Old Cardinal
11-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Would folks that have played Hutto this year give us a rundown of how the games went?

LH Panther Mom
11-20-2005, 11:39 AM
We defeated them 49-40. Kerley & Gauthier are both big play-makers, but by no means are they the only ones. OC, I think that so-called "one" dimensional offense might just surprise you with a play or two. ;)

hutex04
11-20-2005, 11:49 AM
yeah, they had over a 150yrds passing against Rice. They just wanted to control the clock and keep pounding it in there. I was wanting them to start passing down 14-22, but they just kept at it. And wore down Marlin Defense.

Old Cardinal
11-20-2005, 11:51 AM
That is interesting LH Panther Mom:
When they were tied 22-22 with little to go on the clock they kept the power plunge and Marlin defense was all up in the box. Even a jump pass or flat pass would score a TD for them. Instead they send Gauthier inside the tackles on a tight-trap or cross block and once he breeched the defensive linemen--that was all she wrote!

Good playing? Luck? Who knows? But it put then one more round deep in the playoffs.

Give use a rundown on LH and their opponents coming up, please

gigem55
11-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Cameron defeated them 17-13 but we pretty much stopped their fullback and quarterback and just played sound defense... and just played good enough to win on offence and they aren't 290 across the board on the oline

Old Cardinal
11-20-2005, 12:18 PM
To the Cameron poster: The roster says 255, 285, 265, 255, and 260 however the parents and some of the fans said that is deceiving that they are averaging a lot more than that... Who knows exactly but the scales this week.
What does Cameron think of the upstarts from Kirbyville this week?
What about some of the comments from the teams that Hutto beat this season?

shankbear
11-20-2005, 12:24 PM
Here's a big Hippo

http://www.users.bigpond.com/wildprints/HIPPO.htm

shankbear
11-20-2005, 12:24 PM
Fullback I believe.

gigem55
11-20-2005, 12:37 PM
As a Cameron supporter I think kirbyville is going to be a tough match-up because of the fact we are pretty banged up.. Derek Evans our superstar had to play quarterback last game because our first and second string qbs had minor injuries he had 123 yards rushing and 93 yards passin in a little over 2 minutes. But he also went down with a minor ankle sprain. We are just confident in our coaches game plans taht no matter who is in the game, where ever they have to pla, they just show up and play Cameron Yoemen football and do what it takes to win. We expect all of our people to be back this week and we expect to put up lots of points because I think kirbyville is very suspect to giving up points.

3afan
11-20-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by gigem55
.... 123 yards rushing and 93 yards passin in a little over 2 minutes. ...

uhh, wait a minute .... 216 yards of total offense in 2 minutes? :thinking:

gigem55
11-20-2005, 12:55 PM
i meant 2 quarters excuse me

WOSgrad
11-20-2005, 12:59 PM
That's still pretty impressive!

ILS1
11-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Thank Old Cardinal for your kind words. There were a couple gentlemen from Bridge City sitting behind me,Kepdawg,PurpleFreddy and Gsquared on the Hutto side. They had nothing but good things to say about Hutto and their team. They were very nice and cheering loudly for the Hippos. Towards the end of the game like a true hometown fan,one of them turns to me and says "1 more minute left in the game,I will no longer be a Hippo fan". I just laughed!!! They knew their football. They both told they were both retired. And that they decided that morning during breakfast at McDonalds (I'm assuming the one in Bridge City) they were going to the game in Round Rock. Now that is fan support. To drive 4 1/2 hours to see your teams potential opponent. We chatted about strategy and game tactics all during the game. If one of them was you,it was very nice to meet you,sir. Good luck to both teams (especially the Hippos) and may they stay injury free. See you next week.

Old Cardinal
11-20-2005, 01:29 PM
I just was noticing that BC vs Hutto is at 2 pm in Klein and at 6pm Cameron Yoe plays Kirbyville at Morehead Stadium in Conroe--sounds like a chance to see two very good 3A Division II ballgame.
WO-S plays over that way Friday night also..

3afan
11-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by gigem55
i meant 2 quarters excuse me

still impressive - will they keep him at QB?

gigem55
11-20-2005, 01:56 PM
NO he is way more dangerous at WR I dont think anyone in 3a can guard him. He is legit 6 3 and has the best hands. Has great adjusting skills to the ball while he is in the air.

Old Cardinal
11-20-2005, 04:41 PM
I am just nosey, it appears from your post that the Hippos will throw against certain teams and not others(Rice). That may be fox-like Coaching to be unpredictable or it could be construed as lack of confidence to put it up, against a preceived reasonable pass defense....What do you see it as?

hutex04
11-20-2005, 05:12 PM
strategy

hutex04
11-20-2005, 05:12 PM
how far is klein for yall old cardinal?

ILS1
11-20-2005, 05:13 PM
I look at it as doing what you have to do to win!! Rice Consolidated had good speed but Hutto could keep up with them. But Marlin had GREAT speed at all the skill positions. What's the old saying "they can't score if they don't have the ball'. They basically were trying to play keep away and grind it out. By keeping Marlin's explosive offense off the field and running out the clock. You definitely don't wanna get into a high scoring affair with them. By the middle of the 4th Qtr,Hutto's huge offensive line just plain wore out Marlin's D line and backers. Hutto can pass when they have to,QB Jeremy Kerley has a great arm.

yoemenkracker30
11-20-2005, 05:24 PM
In the last D19 game of the season between cameron and hutto, Cameron's defense held the hutto offense to 0 td's, 2 fg's, hutto's only touchdown coming on the ensuming kickoff after cameron's first touchdown. In that game, hutto threw the ball I believe a whole lot more than they wanted to, probably going 60/40, ground to passing. we kept getting them into 3rd and longs, and they kinda had bad hands that night. it would be interesting to see a rematch....not looking a head or anything, good luck to hutto this upcoming week in your game against bridge city.....make d19 proud!

hutex04
11-20-2005, 05:25 PM
look at giddings, they score alot of points. Hutto ran the ball nonstop vs giddings and won a 20-12 ballgame. When we were down 14-22 i thought we should start to pass, but they stuck with the gameplan and it worked great for hutto.

hutex04
11-20-2005, 05:28 PM
yeah lots of wide open passes that were dropped. Bridge City seems very tough. Hutto will have a hard time with that defense. Bridge City looks like they have an awsome D and enough Offense to put teams away

bccards
11-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Klein will be right about 2 hours away for us.